• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
shogun

Another truck through on Rice?

shogun

I was out there today and there is a big hole of open water right out from the boat landing. Did another vehicle go through over the weekend? Or did it just decide to open up there?

BD110

There hasn't been another vehicle through the ice on Rice that I know of. Just in the last couple of weeks there has been another small spot starting to open up. With the 40 plus temps we had over the weekend it has turned into a very large problem.

shogun

I see. It could be interesting when folks decide to try and get their houses off the ice.

chrismackmn

Wow, did it open up right by the dam?

BD110

If I had to guess I would say it has something to do with the current and the fact that it's very shallow in that area. There is great ice out in the main body of the lake. One would think that with below zero temps that the open spot would heal itself but that doesn't seem to be the case with the Rice lake access. When temps get above freezing that becomes a very dangerous area.

Northlander

Too much moving and swirling water in that area. Very dumb place for a landing in my opinion but Im sure they were not worried about ice travel. I would like to see that landing shut down to vehicle travel. Have it sled, wheeler, walk only. Someoene will die there again if it stays open to vehicle travel.

MNman

I was looking at the lake map at gander mt and it said that the lake has two accesses to it. The north one by the dam and it showed the second access on the east side, off the point as a carry in I believe. I was just curious if that's true?

shogun

That can't be right, I've fished the lake for years. That's all private property on the east side. All of the roads going over there are marked with signs that say "no lake access" to keep people out.

JBMasterAngler

I'm assuming it was one of those plastic white "lake maps" map? Check the arrow next time you look at that map, could've been made in the 70's.

MNman

Yeah I know the map is old, I think it is wrong too. I was just making sure it wasn't something that's not well known about. I'd probably fish the lake more if it was a public access. Safer ice

Jack Stasney

Hint... Stay off of Rice lake.

Surface Tension

Its been said over and over, Rice opens up and your not going to know where, its a day to day thing. I know this, once a hole opens its going to be a bad spot for the rest of the season. After all it opened on its own and will do it again. Moving water, springs, rotting vegetation, longer daylight hours, and for other reasons that God only knows all play a part. Look for open water between the island and shoreline coming soon.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• monstermoose78
      Last winter was not easy for me either but this winter I will be going to some other lakes that i use to fish with my grandpa. The only good bites I got on last winter were the ones the St. Cloud boys invited me on. I just reached out to get a custom ice rod from a guy near me. I am excited to see what he can do for me. I will post as often as I can and if I get on a good bite you could tag along if ya want.
    • popriveter
      I’ll be winterizing my boat and prepping my ice gear this weekend. I’m usually excited for ice, but my fishing was terrible last winter and this is way too early a start. We should still be out on open water. Around Arden Hills, Shoreview I’ve noticed Valentine and Silver are 100% locked. Island still had a small patch of open water yesterday.  I’m not anxious to cut holes and check ice depth yet. It’s easier to make safe decisions this year when I’m so much less excited for ice fishing.
    • cookie129
      From 2 to 5 to 7?  What started as 2 fishermen Tylor and John last week. Wednesday Bill and Hays spent the night and walked out with not much luck. All though Bill is a photographer  and said he never wet a line as he snapped pic after pic of the sunset. I caught the tail end of it and should of snapped a picture myself, as it was spectacular to say the least.  Not even sure there's a name for the color,  maybe blood red? Thursday morning hays was not feeling very well so Bill went out on his own. Down at the lake working I saw 5 fishermen counting Bill. Yesterday it was up tp 7. I have had a dozen calls, how thick is the ice,  how's the fishing? Buddy Hillmen of Hillmens resort says around 5 inches, They are  allowing  walking traffic out to a mile where his road stakes stop.  I have heard of 5 fish caught and 1 lost at the hole so that's the fishing report.  Some one said it would be a zoo up here this weekend since the south end had that strong wind . I would have to disagree  as I have no one spending the night here until after thanksgiving? All the house are prepped down at the lake and ready to go other then a few little things. If anyone stays down there they will have to be cleaned again but that's fine with me.  Jonny boy did not get out as he was a little under the weather.  I did get a shot at a grouse with my recurve going out to my stand Thursday night. It was a shot through the brush and my arrow just missed. I 'll always give up being quiet when I have a chance at a grouse, either when I'm going, sitting or leaving my hunting area.  Years ago I took a grouse in the air with my recurve and flu flu arrow. I would love a repeat of that. Plus the hammer loves the way I make grouse as do I.  I was going to pull my deer stand but now have second thoughts . Some venison in the freezer would be nice. I like cutting up steak in super thin pieces then quick frying for a minute steak sandwich. Plus I'm still trying to harvest a deer with my recurve
    • monstermoose78
      There are people out ice fishing please use extreme caution!! Beaver runs can keep the ice thinner in a narrow area. Fish can cause thinner spots as well. I think I will check two early ice lakes today. 
    • monstermoose78
      I know a lake around my area that has ice anglers on it and it normally has the first Spearers as well, but I did not see a shack on the ice yet
    • iFishMN.YT
      I was out in the west metro, found a nice solid 3.75 in a shallow backwater type area I checked, but the main lake was too thin still.  Got one small sunny in 5 ft of water, it counts!  Thats the earliest in the season I have ever pulled a fish out a hole. Few more days for the locked up lakes I think,
    • knoppers
      bump give ice reports if you can. just don't go on any ice to give a report, be safe.   I know my 300 acre lake in aitkin froze  over last weekend, but ice depth could vary greatly this time of year.
    • Fishing Frenzy
      Anyone know of the lake is froze over? Or how much ice is on the lake if it is?
    • Schwarz04
      I’ll be out looking tomorrow... Have a spot in mind that I’m optimistic about. Which direction from downtown were you?
    • eyeguy 54
      Got the hangers today and really like them. I did have to drill a slot so they would work but easy peasy. The metal can be bent a bit to get the angle wanted. Moved the turkey fans to a different room and centered the 3 euros. I like the way it ended up.     New Age Taxidermy Head Honcho European Mounts on Amazon Smile