• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Alex = #1

March Crappies / Walleye

Alex = #1

Even though the walleye season is closed, do you still catch just as many walleyes after the season closes while fishing for Crappie on URL, or do they make you stop using minnows after Feb 22?

kelly-p

The CO's frown on anyone targeting walleyes. If you are set up in 6 feet of water telling them that you are ice fishing for crappies they know better so plan on having them check you over real close. Other then that the fishing stays the same as the crappies hit the same types of hooks as walleyes. Just make sure the walleyes go back down the hole fast.

Quackaddict9

Crappie minnows will always catch walleyes! It has proven to be my go to bait on URL ever since they closed the walleye fishing up there. Genz Worm jig tipped with crappie minnow is what I use 95% of the time and then a fat head on a occassion.

there I just gave out my secret....not really. wink

Random guy

Walleye become a pain in the butt when they get the spring aggressions...wow the things that come out of my mouth. crazy

Craigums

When does the walleye season close? My dad wants to book a trip up there. Does the fishing seem to get better up until seasons end or is it about the same as it is now?

Aces In The Hole

22nd of Febuary

Alex = #1

I guess I don't understand the point of closing the season then... The whole point of having a closed season is to not disrupt the spawn, correct?

But if just as many people fish, and use the same bait/tactics, and catch just as many, if not more, walleye.... Why close the season??

On most lakes if you were jigging a spoon with a fathead in March and claimed to be crappie fishing, i don't think that would fly.. or maybe i'm just too catious to take that chance. But on URL, it sounds like that is a common occurence??

mnhunter 3815

i use chubs for crappies.dnr cant do nothin about it unless they see you keeping the eyes.

Quackaddict9

There is way less people that go up to Red after the walleye season closes, as from my experience.

Bigtime_fisherman162003

ill be up there in march just to chase down some big slabs

Quackaddict9

I will be as well! Last couple times out last year were great for me!