• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MNfishtrapper

spear holes on tonka, phelps bay

MNfishtrapper

I thought that I'd give everyone a heads up who are planning on being on Phelps bay. I was out there Saturday and some donkey was cutting a huge spearing hole in the middle of the main group of houses. If he took a second to pick up the regs he'd see that spearing in tonka is illegal. I don't know what he did with the open hole when he left but watch out for the hole aye!

fishnowworknever

May have just been cutting a hole to fish out of too? We've done that before.

Hopefully they marked it with something when they left.

Sunnie

Let's just call it a large hole for now because that was what it is (unless you saw someone spearing out of it). Most likely a sight fisherman they have a tendency to drill a bunch of connecting holes.

fishinfey8

is it illegal to drill more than two holes, even if they are only used for one fishing line?

Sonicrunch

you can drill as many as you want.

or was your question in regard to how many connected holes you can drill?

fishinfey8

yeah, sorry i meant is it illegal to drill "connected" holes and fish out of them. Also, could it be considered a spear hole if they are connected?

SHAQ

I fish oughta spear holes most of the year ecspecially during early ice

JBMasterAngler

I can't imagine there is a law against how big of a hole your fishing out of can be. If you want to cut a big block of ice out and fish through it, so be it. DNR can't give you a ticket for spearing if you don't have a spear.

bassNspear

There cant be a law for the size of the hole i dont think. As for spearing, you can cut a hole to angle out of now. SO im sure what they were doing was using a rod and reel to caught a few fish, and to be able to see them in the hole while they were catching them.

Tonka is a non-spearing lake, and with all the people out there, thats not the lake to take a chance to spear it!

sandbagger

I often cut an oversized hole in clear, shallow water to sight fish for pannies or even tight-line for pike. Can be a blast. Now in Wisconsin, they actually do have limits on the size of a hole (I believe it's 18 or 20 inches, but can't recall).

SHAQ

i usually cut 6X8 holes so i can toss some open water baits in the winter. catch a lot of pike with that stratagy, ecspecially if i put some real weeds down there for structure. The biggest one i chain sawed was 20x34 so i could put the boat in to cure a serious itch for open water fishing!!!!

JBMasterAngler

Could've been a few buddies doing their own version of the polar bear plunge also crazy

fishnowworknever

i usually cut 6X8 holes so i can toss some open water baits in the winter. catch a lot of pike with that stratagy, ecspecially if i put some real weeds down there for structure. The biggest one i chain sawed was 20x34 so i could put the boat in to cure a serious itch for open water fishing!!!!

That's funny, made me laugh.