• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
lowrox

Wind on Saturday!!

lowrox

Wow it was a windy one out there on Saturday!! Was anyone out on the big lake? I'm sure that there are some good stories out there. Mine was seeing a 8X10 permanant house blow over on it's side. I know that there were gusts over 50 mph.

fiskyknut

I was out both days over the weekend. No doubt that wind was wicked on Saturday, warm though so I fished outside all day. Folks with ports were having a tough time getting them down!! Even saw a perm around 8x12 that had blown over. Got a big kick out of that guy with that kite rig thingy...Saw him coming from the west, went past us on skis with a sled behind him, he was doing around 30 mph!! Kept on going right on past Whiskey flats on an easterly course.. Wonder where he ended up, LOL!!

fiskyknut

lowrox

Catch any fish? I didn't head out on Sunday, there was beer to be drank and football to be watched.

gator_slayer2

Rox, yeah, we seen a lot of portables, including ours get wrecked on Sat. Seen it coming and thought the fish would bite, but too late while we were taking it down, bent our middle pole support and gotta get that fixed as we are heading back up this weekend! We were at Gull Sat. and Sunday went to Long Point and gotta day house & fishing was AWESOME!!! One shy of our limits for 2 people, but had to get for home, so quit early. LP we saw some permenant house damage as well. We do have a permenant but thought its too much much work trying to find a spot to set up and get off the lake with all this snow. Was a great weekend tho, but that wind was wicked. How was your fishin and where?

Gator

lowrox

Fished out at Southtip on Friday and Saturday. Fishing was so...so, kept 8-10 fish each day. So enough for a few good meals anyway.

gator_slayer2

Nothin like fresh fish to eat! Thanks for the report!

Windy

I 100% agree with you on the wind--It was nasty!! Saturday fishing was slower than we have been seeing but Sunday was really good! My relatives went out to use my portable on Sunday only to find it wasn't where it was supposed to be! They did find it a 1/4 mile away but luckily it wasn't damaged too bad--just need a new tarp and it should be good to go! I heard of alot of portables "flying" around that evening!

I hope we don't see that again for awhile or ever!

Jason

www.hardwateradventures.com

[email protected]

fiskyknut

lowrox, I was'nt on Whiskey. Saturday was a bit slow though I did manage a half a dozen weee ones, 2 decent keeper eyes, and 1 whopper that bit about a half an hour after the wind started up. Sundays bite was much better and we pulled limits but it was still off a tad from the past coupla weeks. Dregs of winter now upon us so I may soon be doing some deeper mud/sand transitions in the main basin??

fiskyknut

aczr2k

Windy isn't the word for what it was, we fished out in the whiskey flats area and were about 100 feet or so (upwind) from a permanent tipping over. Fishing was poor to say the least, and the couple hours of rain wasn't so great either. What a change in day from the perfect morning. At least no damage to the house, it was a interesting folding up experience.

2springers

We rented a Zipple sleeper Friday thru Sunday. It was so windy Saturday night our neighbor's crapper house flipped over. eeeeyuck. Fishing was great for us. We caught tons of throwback cigars, and caught enough 16-19 inchers for a nice lunch on the lake and a limits worth to bring home. Pound for pound it was our best trip ever, we consistently caught BIGGER fish than most years.

MN Mike

I agree with aczr2k, windy wasn't the word for it! We were setup on Buffalo Bay at around 9:30 or so Saturday morning, wind was from the south then so I setup the Yukon Fish Trap with our backs to it pointing north, 2 of us fished until 1:30 or so, we caught a few fish and I figured one of the others would like to come on over and catch some too ( although they were not doing too bad in the perm. either ). By the time the other guy got down there the wind had picked up and the guy I left it there had his hands full holding the house down, when the door opened he yelled ' BOY AM I GLAD TO SEE YOU !!! ', neither one had fished out of a portable like that before so the didn't know what to do with wind like that but they managed to get things under control and fish for a while.

While I was at the perm, I was watching buckets, plastic, cardboard, OSB, insulation and other junk fly by us at a rapid pace, just crazy, a perm house next to us lost it's roof that was nailed on, another unoccupied homemade porty took off and was demolished about 1 mile to the east. The people that did have their portables out there were pulling up camp REAL fast when those gusts came thru.

I went back to our portable and took over my spot again, the poles were leaning pretty bad ( at that point I should have hooked up to the snowmobile again ) after about 20 minutes we had a huge gust come thru, took the Yukon, picked us up and spun us 90 degrees so we were facing EAST! cleared the Marcum, the heater and the minnow bucket, everything was sitting there perfectly, there we sat, looking at snow and no holes with fishing poles in our hands, we laughed and then came up with a game plan on how not to lose the Yukon and get it hooked up to the sled and get out of there!

Last night wasn't fun driving home either, white outs on the way home between Salo and Grygla, I've had enough wind for a while.

Mike

aczr2k

Wow that must have been a wild ride, yeah we came home the same way by grygla the visibility was pretty poor in places. Had to stop in gully at shorty's for a relief.

NAMASafetyDirector

Reports, I got were that they clocked the wind speed around Flag Island @ around 64 m.p.h. on Sat night!! We were on Little Oak and it was howling like I have never seen it before!! Seen a webber grill get blown off the deck and completly detroyed!! We can do without that for a good long time! grin

fiskyknut

Woke up to a half an inch of smooth and slick ice coating everything today. Gobs of accidents and vehicles in the ditch. Melting now. I think it'll knock the snow down good though so the ice may stick around longer and travel via P/U may be a bit more doable.