• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Forest Lake-Hinckley-Lindstrom-Pine City-Rush City Fishing Reports

Sucks not having snowmobile/wheeler and not being able to drive out yet. Big debate to walk 1500ft out on 3rd lake to get to drop off. I may try right off the 2nd launch in the 10FOW. Dont feel like pully my sled very far.

Any chance you'll say what lake your were on, and how many feet out and depts of water?

I measured 7-8" of solid ice, 1" of crud and 3-5 inches of powder. I only went 200 hundred feet off shore. Lots of snowmobile tracks. I plan to go out Thursday afternoon evening. I see others have been out.

Since I couldn't edit. Accroding to my GPS where I marked, I was 450 ft off the 3rd lake launch hitting 7-8" of ice. Question is, "what it is at 1500ft off shore where I want to go."

i moved up here to forest lake 4 years ago and for the life of me i cant remember which is lake 1 and which is lake 3.

Even Ron Zych quit wasteing time talkin bout it long ago! Local maby

Your right! LOL

I did give Centerville a try yesterday. Its in the metro forum.Lots of work.

out on a lake around chisago city and pounded the crappies. most in the 8-10 inch range but kept a handful of 11 inchers for dinner. the fish caught came from 19 fow and were suspended anywhere from the bottom to 3 feet under the ice. the bigger fish were the ones that were suspended highest in the water column. the best presentation was jigging a waxie repidly on a hexi fly until they rise up right next to the bait and then would ussually hit when you paused for a couple seconds. the zoom on the marcum really helped out with this stategy

Archeral566,

Looking to do some fishing in that area this week. Can you tell me the ice depth? I am thinking about running my 4 wheeler around....thanks for your help.

Maager

Maager, welcome to the boards! Ice depth is right around 12 inches in most areas so a wheeler would be fine. There are some slush pockets but the lakes are starting to set up now so a wheeler should be fine. My report was on an area lake last evening and pulled some nice gills in the 8" range and crappies 10-11"s, fishing 10-14' of water working a fiskas jig and eurolarvae. Weather is finally warming a bit, get out there and fish!

Tunrevir~

ice depth was about 12inches on the lake i was on with the two 2 or 3 inches white ice. there was snow but not to much a four wheeler couldnt handle with a few slushy spots, there was a wheeler out there though and was fine.

2 days ago, a lake in Lindstrom, got a ton of sunnies and managed 17 for the pan between me and my partner for the day. Plus a bonus 10" crappie. The sunnies were between 6.5 and 8 inches that we kept, most being right around 7". Plenty of smaller ones for action as well. Slush was firming up around the edges of the lakes, wasnt as bad as i was expecting though. Anywhere from 12-16 inches of ice where i was.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a general question for guys that target eye's in the area. What are your favorite techniques? Jigging spoon with minnow head? Slip bobber and minnow? Other?

I like to use a small jigging spoon say 1/8th oz or less with a minnow head on one line, and a shiner on a bobber line or deadstick with a fathead for the other. I will often run tipups for my second line depending on the area I am working and holehop with either a jigging spoon or rapala jig. I like firetiger and gold but the glow red and blue have been hot at times as well.

Tunrevir~

I also like to use a small jigging spoon. I have been having good success with upsizing the treble on some of the smaller spoons allowing me to use bigger minnow heads and just generally improving hookup %. Glow green has been good.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, moved to centerville recently- never given Forest Lake a shot. Where's a good spot to acess...the park just west of 35? Also, is it worth the drive?

Thanks

Yeah, that would be the closest.But its east of 35. It can be worth the short drive from centerville if you search around and get away from the crowds.

I have fished Chisago twice in the past week with decent luck with the crappies. Most houses are located in areas of 25 fow, but the average crappie size were 9's with a few 10's in the mix. Since this was not what I was looking for I decided to try shallower water (15-18 fow). These areas seemed to produce larger fish in the range of 10.5 to 11 and I even brought in a 12. I have explored the shallower waters in search for Pike during the day and Walleyes at night, but have not seen much. Has anyone had any luck with either species? Before the water level decreased (about a year to two years ago), I use to have significant luck with Pike and Eyes in the South Bay. Any word on these species on South Lindstrom as well? Is there a consistent pattern where these fish are being held?

• 1 month later...

Hope this is the right spot to post this... But me and my buddy were thinking about trying Green Lake in the Chisago area. We are mainly targeting Gills, Crappies, and Perch. I have never been to this lake before. Im not looking for any honey holes, but if somebody can tell me how to access the lake, and where a good starting point will be, that will be awesome. Thanks

there is a public access on the south end of county rd 23 comming off of 8. i haven't been there this ice season so cant give you an up to date report. a good place for sunnies and crappies is the entrance to the southern bays from the main lake. there are also suspended crappies strait out from the landing on the east shore. drops of quickly there. good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the ice season just won't wind down around here. The edges of the area lakes are starting to seperate from shore so be careful where you access. Panfish are biting but please use caution when venturing out this time of year! I have found active fish both deep and shallow on Flake from 8' all the way out to 30' The fish are aggressive when found and will take a variety of baits from euros to plastics or small jigging spoons.

Tunrevir~

• 4 weeks later...

i went out on chisago lake today. I was out for 2.5 hrs with zero fish. i could not find them shallow or staging yet. i marked quite a few out in the holes with some suspended a little shallower up to 13 fow. if it matters the dnr put the docks in at chisago today. surface water temp 43-44.

Just caught 6 nice sunfish in about 3 fow. They only came in for about a half an hour right before sunset.

first Welcome to HSO!! thanks for the post and information. little more warm weather and more will move in the shallows. good luck.

Thanks and I appreciate the warm welcome. I was out again tonight and although I saw quite a bit of surface activity I only managed 1 sunfish. I am thinking we just need a few days of consistently warmer weather.