• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

Sure it was perch? Could have been them some of them blue gills.They were biting light, the presentation kept changing up on me. Mostly it was a close presentation. Some times I had to jig hard, short-jerk-baits, to bring them in then relax to get them to bite. The spring bobber helped a great deal for bites

I was out on the Croix for the first time today with my cousin. Boy was it windy, had to use the ice anchors on my hub for the first time. We started in 29 ft of water and marked a few fish here and there but just couldn't get them to commit. We had one fish snap my 6lb Fireline Crystal early on, then it was slow! We popped one 8.5in crappie on a deadstick and minnow. Then we headed more towards shore and fished on buckets and caught a couple sunnies, one was 8 inches. Then they left, so at about 3 we decided to head back out to the 30 ft area and didn't get a bite. We left at 4:45ish and we were one of the last ones off. I was surprised to see 75% of the people out there take off at like 3:30. Must have been a slow day or there's not much of a night bite. Spent a lot of hours on there today and only salvaged 3 fish and one that got away. We used it all, deadstick w/ minnow, bobber w/ minnow, Scandia tungsten jib with euro, Northland Forage and Buckshot minnows, swedish pimple, and a slick jih w/minnow. Any tips for a river newbie? If you don't wanna post them my email is MWBradshaw2 at gmail dot com. Any input is appreciated!

I fished in front of the beach just south of Anderson bay yesterday and the first 9 or so holes I drilled where through about 12" of ice/frozen slush mix with about 7" of actual ice but then I hit a spot about 10 yards away that had just 5" of ice and slush water standing on top of it.

I fished from about 2 and left around 4. You could tell the fish were in a negative mood and I dont care to sit in one spot and hope they turn on. I prefer to stay on the move and thats hard to do on the river when you're on foot. If the fish are biting its worth sticking it out til after dark to see if they'll keep going but generally their isnt much for a night bite and you'll see lots of people bail around dusk.

Yep once it gets dark on the river its usually time to go. MN BassFisher, three keepable fishes on the croix for a first timer is a okay day. It took me a while to somewhat figure out these fishes. I like using a lively minnow on a bobber and just let it sit. Once the school comes in i'll give my minnow a quick 1-2 jigs and let the minnow do its voodoo on them fishes. They sure are picky so finding the right size/color/type of jighead is a must! But thats for you to find out. Unless you willing to pay me $1,000. j/k, cool

Great day to be ice fishing today except for the rain. Caught the normal 10-15 crappies, with one being a fat 13 black crappie. The white bass were sure roaming around, hit quite a few of them.

That snow sure looks like it got knocked down from what I can see out the window and going over the 94 bridge. I think this rain is going to help us out a bunch. I could not see north but ice south has a lot of standing water. With the up coming cold should freeze hard so get them spikes out.

I fished in front of the beach just south of Anderson bay yesterday and the first 9 or so holes I drilled where through about 12" of ice/frozen slush mix with about 7" of actual ice but then I hit a spot about 10 yards away that had just 5" of ice and slush water standing on top of it.

Were you fishing out of a clam? That sounds close to where I was. I was in a Red hub with black doors.

Yep once it gets dark on the river its usually time to go. MN BassFisher, three keepable fishes on the croix for a first timer is a okay day. It took me a while to somewhat figure out these fishes. I like using a lively minnow on a bobber and just let it sit. Once the school comes in i'll give my minnow a quick 1-2 jigs and let the minnow do its voodoo on them fishes. They sure are picky so finding the right size/color/type of jighead is a must! But thats for you to find out. Unless you willing to pay me $1,000. j/k, cool

Ha yeah, I was just hoping to not get skunked but for the time I put in, I was pretty close!! confused I let all my fish go, not really looking to keep anything just out there for the fun! I was really hoping to run into a white bass as I had been reading your posts about catching a few down there. I have yet to catch one summer or winter so it'd be fun to have that come up. Well if you ever see a Glen's Outdoors hub (red with black doors) down there during the day, say hey!

MNBassFisher

If you spend any amount of time on the Croix...you will catch White Bass.

If you are targeting white bass make sure you have a lot of red or white euro larva. Put a bunch on the bottom treble of a # 3 jigging rap or flash lure and you will catch them if they are around.

When targeting white bass, this setup will out fish soaking a minnow under a bobber, every day of the week.

MNBassFisher

If you spend any amount of time on the Croix...you will catch White Bass.

If you are targeting white bass make sure you have a lot of red or white euro larva. Put a bunch on the bottom treble of a # 3 jigging rap or flash lure and you will catch them if they are around.

When targeting white bass, this setup will out fish soaking a minnow under a bobber, every day of the week.

Good to know! Thanks for the tip.

Fished the St Croix for new years eve. Had a great day of fishing. Between the 3 of us we were able to get 20-25 crappies (about 10 worth keeping), 3 legal eyes and 1 sauger, 1 striper, 1 whitefish, and my first sturgeon through the ice (30 minute fight / 35" fish). GREAT DAY

Forgot to mention 1 thing, GARBAGE Litter on the river. Way to much...Whoever leaves an empty case of mich golden light with empty beer cans on the ice should be ashamed of themselves...Glad I live up north now, so I don't see this type of stuff. Way to much trash! And another thing, found where a shack was set up before with a few dead crappies and and a white fish froze into the ice (WHAT THE HEACK AND WHO THE HECK WOULD DO THAT?) TERRIBLE STUFF-at least the fishing was good.

Good stuff Jarrid. Can't believe someone would leave fish but the trash on the river is a given. I always carry a bag to toss my trash in along with other trash thats around my area. Picking up after people is a pain in the butt, but just do it, the fishing gods will reward you.

Was out today and boy was it cold and windy. Was everyone hungover? Think I only saw 5 portables out. Fishing was fair today, the area I fished produced only 10"+ crappies. Got 5 of them with one measuring 14" and 2 nice size catfishes as a bonus. cool

MN BassFisher, Most of the whitebass i've been catching have been roaming the deep basins(35 ft) hugging the bottom.

Jarid these culprits I assume the same as last year where I found carcasses of fish along with undersized sauger. Been taking pictures of the lay out of houses over time this year expecting the same thing this year. Love to compare notes and share them with the DNR. Got the houses narrowed down to 3 early ice guys that move across river

HAMMERED fish today. Caught too many fish to count, i'd estimate 20 white bass, 20 crappies (SLABS = 4-12"/2-13"/1-14") 10 moon eyes, and 5 channel cats. My personal best day on the river. Fished 35 ft of water and my vexilar just lit up all day. Caught white bass on the bottom column, crappies and cats in the middle column, mooneyes and 75% of the slabs on the upper column. I found my honey hole! cool

for you people driving out you are taking your life in your own hands! some people are saying there is 15" of ice and that is the same people that are catching 30" walleye's righhhht. measured in all of the spot's i fished today & saw no more then 12" of ice all day. I also hit a few spots that had only 9". please take caution the ice that is out there is not constant there are many spots were the snow drifted in that there is 2" or 3" of ice and then there is 2" of water then there is good ice.

Wow luvin2fish that's a crazy day of fishin. I was also fishing if 35 FOW for about 3 hours and got one fish, and I have no idea what it was. Some sort of sucker/buffalo/sheepshead thing. Finally moved in to about 28 FOW and found the crappies.

I also measured 12" of ice (including the frozen layer of slush). Saw a full size pickup, and even one smaller truck that went flying down the middle of the river on his way to power plant. Must have been some sweet fishing up that way cool

tell me about it, i 2 weeks ago i saw the same thing, a 10-11 inch crappie left behind, 12 inch sauger in one of their frozed up holes, hand warmer packs and wrappers, beer bottles and cans all frozed in the holes... these guys are horriable...

Forgot to mention 1 thing, GARBAGE Litter on the river. Way to much...Whoever leaves an empty case of mich golden light with empty beer cans on the ice should be ashamed of themselves...Glad I live up north now, so I don't see this type of stuff. Way to much trash! And another thing, found where a shack was set up before with a few dead crappies and and a white fish froze into the ice (WHAT THE HEACK AND WHO THE HECK WOULD DO THAT?) TERRIBLE STUFF-at least the fishing was good.

nice!! i would love to get on a school of white bass with a few crappies tossed in, did you hit the whities off the deadstick or jigging?

HAMMERED fish today. Caught too many fish to count, i'd estimate 20 white bass, 20 crappies (SLABS = 4-12"/2-13"/1-14") 10 moon eyes, and 5 channel cats. My personal best day on the river. Fished 35 ft of water and my vexilar just lit up all day. Caught white bass on the bottom column, crappies and cats in the middle column, mooneyes and 75% of the slabs on the upper column. I found my honey hole! cool

Moe, I caught most of the whitebass jigging minnows. Decisions decisions, should I go slaughter them again today? Been able to guide all my buddys on the river and show them fish. Whos next? Ha.

I'm kinda looking for a job now. Got all my ice fishing in and half way satisfied. Well here is a question for you guides...Do I need a guide license to guide on the ice?

1/2/11 Report:

Pulled my house from the access to the south end of the group out from andersons point.

Tried from 20' to 37' with no fish in 5 hours. Used minnows, colors, waxies, got nothing.

You won't catch me driving on the ice for a long time!

Sounds like some guys are getting nice fish! smile

I measured 13", so I'll drive out next weekend given the cold week we're going to have.

Luvin2fish-I started guiding last year, and the answer to your question is yes(Note from Admin: please read forum policy before posting again.)

To those of you that commented on the trash and fish left on the ice, "good Stuff"-seems like everyone is bothered by this, we need to keep a sharp lookout for these people, absolutely terrible.. .

May your lines be tight~!

Do I need a guide license to guide on the ice?

This might sound mean but if you have to ask you arnt prepared to be a guide.

The fish were outside of Bayport beach about 300 yards off shore where poeple have been walking out. We fished the Wisconsin side. Gargbage all over the river. (Note from admin: please read forum policy before posting again.)

thanks,

Jarrid

Geez dale I was just brainstorming ideas for my future ha. But I was born ready. cool

I'll shoot you an email if I have anymore questions Jarrid, thanks for being helpful.

Got bored of job searching today so I packed up and went to my honey hole and boy were the fishes happy to see me. Just hammered away again. Only fished for an hour or two but it was sure worth it. Hope they stay in this area for a few more weeks!