• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

Funny you should ask. I dont "own" any piece of water. I was using this method on Mille Lacs a week or 2 ago and had some guy come and set up his shack and actually use the holes I drilled. First of all I thought it was really funny because he got out fired up his auger and went to drill thru what he thought was a froze over hole but it was mine with less than 1/8" of ice and when he put that auger in that hole and went to start to drill he about fell on his face, funniest thing I've seen on the ice so far this year. I think that some people need to use a little common sense while others need to use a little courtesy in a situation like this. 98% of time you will not see me fishing an area where I have to worry about others and the rest of the time....well they came and invaded where I was fishing and it's public waters so what do you do? I usually try to strike up a conversation you never know who you will run into. You are both fishing so the small talk is over and the chat session starts. The next thing you know you could have a new friend or someone you hope you'll never talk to again. I hope this answers your question.

That's hilarious!

I've known people in my life that have actually put their line in the hole I was jigging in. This was mostly a friend of my Grandfather's and he did it to everybody, not just me. Surprised no one ever knocked him out.

Anyone target White Bass specifically? Is it even possible? I've caught all of two in my life through the ice in western Wisconsin lakes and those two were a blast.

Anyone target White Bass specifically? Is it even possible? I've caught all of two in my life through the ice in western Wisconsin lakes and those two were a blast.

You come on out and target crappies and you're bound to catch some white bass. They seem to roam all over the basin area.

Went down for a while after work tonight and again nothing. Think I'm gonna have to go adventuring this weekend and get away from shanty town. Only problem is my lake chip for the GPS is really outdated for the river. Anyone know if the new Navionics chips are up to date??

Fished north of shanty town yesterday from 3-6. Caught a mixed bag - 2 crappies, dink eye, 2lb smallie, missed a few others. Never got on any sort of pattern, just jumped around from hole to hole and got what i got. The more frusterated i get with the river the more anxious i am to get back on it. What is wrong with us???

The more frusterated i get with the river the more anxious i am to get back on it. What is wrong with us???

It's a sickness for sure. I know I've got it. I've sworn off the river 3-4 times already this season but I keep getting back to it. It's the chance for a decent day with some nice size fish that does it for me. I'd rather catch 3, 12" crappies than a bunch of undersized fish that is the norm for most everywhere else around the metro area. And we all know there's a chance for a true trophy here. That's what keeps me coming back.

The more frusterated i get with the river the more anxious i am to get back on it. What is wrong with us???

With a greater differential between peak potential and base level (ground) comes a fundamentally higher level of attraction; at least that is the case with electrons...

Well, at least I got dinner today. 4 crappies and 2 walleye 16 and an 18 inch. All were taken on a dead stick. Crappies hit right away after I set up around 1pm the eyes came in at 5pm. Fished between 30ft to 20ft along a prety sharp break.

Got a nice nap in from 3 to 5 then woken by the line buzzer at around 5. Wally was knocking at the door.

so im a big time ice fidhermen and has never iced fished a river always wanted to but the thought of it is kinda crazy. but lately thats all i've heard about is fishing the st.croix. so as a first time river ice fishing excursion where is a good area to go? The Stillwater/Bayport area or should i go farther north as like the north branch area

The Bayport area of the St Croix is like a big lake with little current so you get a pretty good sheet of ice (18" to 24") which is safe to drive on and fish on.

I'm not familiar with the North Branch portion of the St Croix but I am assuming you have a pretty good current flow which can make for unsafe ice conditions. I would be pretty careful fishing that stretch until you are sure of the ice conditions.

Just about anything you hear or read about ice fishing the Croix is about the Bayport area. As Steve said most of the rest of the river is typically unsafe.

I've always thought that the backwater area to the north side of the boomsite public access should be good for sunfish and northerns, but I've never tried it myself and don't recall ever seeing anyone out there. It's really shallow, but there are channels in it. Anyone ever tried it?

The ice up that way has been dicey this year a few sleds have gone through this year.

Speaking of sleds going in my prayers go out to the family for the guy that went through in Afton last night.

i know a guy that goes up to a bay called limans slew.i've seen pictures of really big northerns taken right there.in spring i caught a 23 inch eye jigging for crappies on a noodle rod. ya gotta know where your going though.pretty much have to walk.

Out again this morning at about 6 and again it was pretty slow. Fished up in NW Wisconsin last night and was a crappie king. Starting to think I don't know how to fish the river. But on the other hand, it looked like alot of people were moving around all morning. Anyone else having any luck.

Been out on river four or five times last week. Skunked all but one day. And on that day only got a few crappies. Pretty much a newb on the river. Its been a long time since I've been humbled on any body of water.

Been out on river four or five times last week. Skunked all but one day. And on that day only got a few crappies. Pretty much a newb on the river. Its been a long time since I've been humbled on any body of water.

You call it "humbled", I call it "humiliated". Skunked Friday and Saturday. Found another sheet of ice today and did pretty well...comaparatively.

I got out for a bit today. Very light bite... I had to switch to the most sensitive spring bobbers I had..along with a different lure after almost each fish. Today was a "one hit wonder" for each lure.

This was maybe my 5th time on the river, but each time the bite has been very light...without the spring bobbers I would've been blanked.

Will be fishing croix this weekend, mostly I fish in 37/38' water

just got a lake map and wondering if closer to shore in shallower water is worth punching a few holes? how are the driving conditions after mondays snowfall?

Just wondering if anyone been fishing the croix lately? Someone mentioned catching bluegills on the croix...was that in shallower water. Fishing this friday, saturday and maybe sunday.

Any info would be helpful...thanks

Just wondering if anyone been fishing the croix lately? Someone mentioned catching bluegills on the croix...was that in shallower water. Fishing this friday, saturday and maybe sunday.

Any info would be helpful...thanks

I have actually caught most of mine while fishing for crappie in 30+fow. Frostee spoons or any glow horizontal jigs loaded with waxies or euros. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the report. I forgot my spikes but will get some more and see if I can get any gills. Heading over friday morning early. Hope I find some my son-in-law may go saturday. Thanks for info auggiedog.

Went out twice on the St. Croix last week. Thursday was my personal best day on the river (don't laugh): 2 huge white bass and 4 crappies (2 were 13+). Friday only got one 13" crappie.

Still very hard to figure them out.

Tried the St. Croix out of Bayport today for my first time. Had fun playing with my new Vexilar and catching the warm February sun. With one bite in four hours it was extremely slow, but what a beautiful day.

The day started out with 0 fish for 3hrs of running around drilling holes trying new areas. Last 2hrs finally caught a 11" crappie a 8"gill. I also got into a school of smallies caught 3 and lost 3 all in 15 minutes.