• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

Put the handline reel on the boat and went out and played for awhile this evening, looks like alot of fish are going to be caught this up coming weekend, should be a couple interesting tournaments

Went out for smallies today. Took us a little while to find 'em but when we did they were going real good. Ended up with about 15 in the boat from 7:00-11:00. Most were caught on weightless flukes and senkos but got a couple on a dropshot.

luvin2fish, what you getting at the powerplant? I noticed there was a bunch of people down there this morning.

Was out last saturday, 5 sheeps and a White bass. These fish seem to be stacked up. Do the Eyes run after the Sheepies are out of there? Not too bad traffic wise, it was the last day of 80's, hope we get some 70's in the next few weeks..

Just talked with a guy that was out this morning and boated his limit of eyes, only was the second time this season for him to get a limit, he said they were hitting a pink jig and minnow 14' to 20' in the rocks, these dropping temps are helping so it seems,can't wait to hit it saturday and sunday!

went out in the rain today and the eyes were hitting pretty good, boxed seven decent eyes and one big snot rocket, lots of shorts and a couple football smallies, all fish came on fatties, 50 50 jig verse lindy

Took a first timer out trollin, trollin, trollin and we didn't do too bad. Not the kind of number success that River Dan had but we got a few. Caught a 4 pound cat (goldest cat I've ever seen), a little sauger and an 18" walleye. We also caught about a 5 pound sheepie and had a pig of a walleye on that came unbuttoned at the boat (quick release) which was easily as big as our 8.65 from the river rat tourney. I have a really good feeling about taking some pictures of some big fish this fall.

Went out last night with my pa for a few hours out of the bluffs and jig/rigged fatheads and caught a nice little cat and a sheepie.... thats all she wrote

Great morning out there picked up one decent eye jigging and three more handlining, go TWINS!!!!

Dan, when you are handlining what depths are you targeting? if you dont mind me asking.

I had good luck the last few weeks in 20-30 feet of water. I am sure with the drop in water temps in the last week or so the fish got to be primed up

Let me be the first welcome you to FM incogneato, Your right in the ball park for the water depth at least for now while handlining, Lindy riggin or jiggin have been picking up eyes shallow early in the morning (less then 10')but after about 7 I go alittle deeper depending on the area,

I might head out tomorrow afternoon, any suggestions where to start when looking for eyes?? Depth??

I'll be out tomorrow evening as usual, probaly gonna be out bobber fishing eyes its that time of the year cool

What a beautiful evening to be on the water. Rain and 45 degrees, does it get any better? Anyhow I went out for about an hour and a half (yep I'm a wimp) and fishing was pretty good. Ended up with a 19" walleye, a silver that had to go almost 4 pounds and a 28" walleye. Caught the big girl and decided that was a good note to go home on. All the fish were caught casting cranks to the shallow rocks (5-6 FOW). I need the water temp to drop another couple of degrees for the real big girls to move up to the honey hole. I'm gunning for a twelve this year. Caught several between ten and eleven last year with one just over eleven. Mama's heading back to Oshkosh this weekend so I might even sleep on the boat this weekend. smile

Go Gators, you are a real coyboy, sleep on the boat. Let us know how that goes. Good luck, though it sounds like you don't need luck to find the fish.

Caught several between ten and eleven last year with one just over eleven. smile

Not bad but River Dan does that in a week!

Keep catchin'

Turk

I could never compete with you guys when it comes to fishing I can only hope to not embarrass myself.

Report for Wednesday the 7th:

Water temp was 50 near Stillwater, 52-54 other areas all around Hudson.

Tried for Walters all day with several baits from the Power Plant, Anderson Bay, above the RR Bridge, through the channel, all around the I-94 pillars, near Beanies, south of Beanies, down the Wis side. None.

Saw about 14 other boats - did not see a single fish caught.

Well hit the hole again this evening for about an hour and fifteen minutes. This work thing is really getting in the way of my fishing. Ended up with one 29" walleye and also snagged about a 10 pound buffalo and also snagged a carp that was about 15 pounds. The carp was snagged on the last cast of the day and I thought it was going to keep me out there after dark the way it was pulling. Both fish were snagged right at the base of the dorsal fin and wow, what a ride those fish gave. We'll see what the weekend holds in store.

Got out tonight after work for a couple of hours. It gets dark so early now you hardly have any time to fish. Tried for Sturgeon for a while and caught nothing. I need to pick up a second anchor and a longer anchor rope before I try again.

Switched over to crankbaits and picked up 2, 17" Walleyes and 1 small sauger. Had 2 other good size fish on briefly that came unbuttoned before they got 1/2 way up to the boat. The Walleyes came out of 24-26 FOW and the Sauger hit in 22'. Not a great outing but it was much better than the previous 3 outings.

I need to pick up a second anchor and a longer anchor rope before I try again.

You could just buy another 50' line and keep it in the boat, that way you have it to add onto your current anchor line if it's not holding. Keeps you from have to coil up 100' everytime you want to use the anchor.

Trolling has been working for me but I have not tried jigging lately so my opinion is no worth much. I plan to do a bunch of Lindy and jigging this weekend. Let us know how you do.

The second anchor helps anchoring the stern to prevent the boat from swinging side to side on windy days so it makes it easier to finess those light sturgeon bites. The second rope is a good idea, for storage coil it into small bucket makes it easy to deploy and to store got that tip off FM.

Did some trolling today and ended up with 1 17 1/2 healthy eye, a 14 incher, a 13 inch sauger and another sauger that was also on the small side. I caught them all between 7 and 9 and then nothing. That's still a pretty good day for me, so I can't complain at all. It's nice to see the fish fattening up and hungry! I tried jigging minnows a couple of times, but got skunked. They were liking the #9 bleeding firetiger deep tail dancer. I tried many different colors and styles of lures, but that was the only one working. I'm glad I replaced the one that got destroyed by a big slimy flathead last week! I never caught a cat while trolling before, but this thing inhaled my lure so that the whole thing was in it's mouth and even ripped out the rear treble hook. Crazy stuff happens out there, no doubt about it!

Another day on the water tossing crankbaits and another good day. Caught a 27", 19" and 18" in the walleye category and snagged another carp that was about 6 pounds to boot. I also snagged something that I never could turn towards the boat. It just ran and ran and darn near spooled me when I decided enough is enough and put the thumb down on the spool and pulled the hooks free of whatever it was (probably a big carp). Looks like I need to stay away from the hole around sunset because that's when it seems the rough fish are being snagged. Have yet to snag one when the sun is high in the sky.

Took a buddy out today and had a lot of fun despite the weather. I was blanked in the walleye department but he caught 3 walleyes (27.5", 26" and 18.5"). Once again the highlight of the day was snagging multiple carp and also snagged a flathead while jigging. Those fish have got to be just thick in the hole because I'm doing everything I can to not snag these fish. I felt bad because the 26" walleye hit the crank so hard it took it completely down and was hooked in the gills and the esophagus. I enjoy fishing so much more when I get to watch the fish swim away but that one was not going to live until the end of the day so we put it in the livewell. I'll be out again tomorrow.

Buddy and I just got back and had a couple nice crappies but nothing else (other than white bass). Pulled 'em out of 10-12' on the sota side.

Took a buddy out today and had a lot of fun despite the weather. I was blanked in the walleye department but he caught 3 walleyes (27.5", 26" and 18.5").

Wow, those are some nice Walleyes. Good going on getting your buddy on fish. I like to catch fish but a trip is even better when you can put your fishing partner on fish.

Dale

I live less than 5 minutes from the launch so I can get out anytime I want (beautiful bride willing). My friends are not so lucky and it usually take some pretty advanced planning to get on the water so I do everything I can to put THEM on fish. When we go trolling and have multiple rods in the holders I don't even touch a rod. Nothing better than that look on their face when their fighting a fish and you tell them "you better hurry up because you got one on the other line too". It didn't bother me one bit that I got skunked yesterday because my buddy caught the two biggest walleyes of his life. It doesn't get any better than that.

Well it was a slow evening at the piggie hole tonight. Fished from 5-6pm and ended up with one 18" walleye. I didn't even snag a carp tonight which made for a very boring evening. Oh well, I guess that would be why they call it fishing. Taking another buddy out tomorrow so I hope the fish are more cooperative than they were tonight.