• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

eyeguy 54

No. Walking around this area. Good cardio. :)

eyeguy 54

good eats, good guys, a few good fish, fun in the sun. 

419a.jpg

419b.jpg

419c.jpg

419d.jpg

• Like 3

IceHawk

Great Time today! We didn't put the slam to them  but boy did I enjoy the day. I know I did a lot  more relaxing and jaw jacking today then fishing LOL! But after as many days as I have spent on the ice my  thought process lately has been been there done that this winter,   so really didn't go at it to hard.   My Ice season is comeing to a end and today I was alright with that. :) It was a day of laughs, great eats and some serious relaxation among a great group of guys. I know I wish I would of put some sunscreen on the face wow Hot tomato LOl! Bet Joe is hurting also he looked a little pink mid day. Thanks Royce, Rick G , Joe and his father for the good times., we have  done a few of these mini get togehter's this winter and I believe our friendships have grown stronger everytime we share the ice together.  Looking forward to possibly another outing if not open water is just around the corner ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

eyeguy 54

Put my sunscreen on at 7 a.m. and still got a little redder... LOL  

Borch

Sounds like a blast! 

My time has shifted to turkey hynting prep.  So it looks like I'm done despite good ice conditions.  But I'm a bit jealous of you all.

Bass Thumb
18 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Great Time today! We didn't put the slam to them  but boy did I enjoy the day. I know I did a lot  more relaxing and jaw jacking today then fishing LOL! But after as many days as I have spent on the ice my  thought process lately has been been there done that this winter,   so really didn't go at it to hard.   My Ice season is comeing to a end and today I was alright with that. :) It was a day of laughs, great eats and some serious relaxation among a great group of guys. I know I wish I would of put some sunscreen on the face wow Hot tomato LOl! Bet Joe is hurting also he looked a little pink mid day. Thanks Royce, Rick G , Joe and his father for the good times., we have  done a few of these mini get togehter's this winter and I believe our friendships have grown stronger everytime we share the ice together.  Looking forward to possibly another outing if not open water is just around the corner ;)

Yeah, Chris. I was hoping to get some color. Unfortunately, bright pink was not the color I had in mind.

eyeguy 54

Real men can wear pink! Lol

• Like 1

Cret Jigs

where we all fishing today?   Looking to walkout or use 4 wheeler if landing permits?

• Like 1

AlwaysFishing23

My yard!! Lol packing things away today. Getting ready for summer Be a great day to get out though.

• Like 2

Tom Sawyer
1 hour ago, JeremyCampbell said:

Going to get the kids out on the river today with gloves and garbage bags for Earth day.Plenty of garbage around the local community spots that can be removed.Im sure there will be more but it's something to do and it will look a little prettier out there.

Thanks for your efforts!!! Let me know if you need any free city garbage bags; I'm involved with the City of St. Cloud Green Team. You can place them at the Munsinger Garden greenhouse, or any trail access points for easy Park Dept. pickup.

• Like 1

Rick

Impressive, both Tom and Jeremy :)

eyeguy 54

I see one of my hot spots ;)   Nice job JC and kids!

• Haha 1

mrpike1973

Wow great job!! Looks like a nice young generation of care takers of the land. Thank you all for your efforts! Sure a nice day today.

• Like 1

Borch

Sounds like a few lakes have opened up or are close to opening up.  Panfish in those dark bays should be going strong soon.  Can't wait to get out there soon to have some soft water fun!

• Like 1

Rick G

Took the yak out for a couple hours here around town. Starting to see fish moving into the dark bottom feeding areas.  The later into the afternoon it got the better the bite was for bigger fish. They seemed to be coming into the bay at a steady pace once the sun began  to warm the water a bit.

I had best luck with a 1in  pink/white little hustler tube on a 1/64 white ball head. I varied my depth from 1-3ft under my float, finding myself working shallower as the day progressed. 

20180502_121635.jpg

20180502_134405.jpg

20180502_121647(0).jpg

• Like 3

monstermoose78

Nice fished Rick

Borch

Very nice!

eyeguy 54

4 days in the yak so far this week and the body is SORE! LOL  Hope to do 5. :)  Been a great week so far fishing shallow areas on 3 different lakes. 1 foot to 4 feet has been fun with small jigs and different plastics, mostly white. Emerald shiner worked great for crappies yesterday. 1 1/2 inch tube was hot monday and good tues and wednesday and didn't do a thing today. (100 fish on the same tube and its still on that rod, crazy! I carry 2 on the yak).    Smaller was hot today.  12 inch crappie biggest so far this week and a nice 10 inch gill today with a few more from 9 to 9.5.  Get out to the shallows if you can and have some fun!  Water temp was 50 degrees today when they turned on. Fun times @Rick G!!

51a.jpg

51b.jpg

53b.jpg

53c.jpg

53d.jpg

53e.jpg

53g.jpg

53h.jpg

• Like 2

smurfy

UGH........ i need a job like you guys!!!!!!:P:D them are some pretty colored fish!!!!! nice pictures!!!!!

oh and just a comment on top of this page...........i think your good cardio went out the window with that grill full of brats!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

eyeguy 54

well, 5 days in a row in the yak has been a hoot. Hit the spot today that we hit mid afternoon yesturday and lots of nice fish still there but not as many as yesterday. Today I used the same small red jig most of the time and white wishbones. Als a white impulse mayfly with the legs tore off. Both produced.  Tried an orange jig for a bit and it was quiet. couple more pics. Only 2 9 inchers this afternoon and one nice 12 inch crappie. Lots of 10 to 10.5 inch crappies and lots of 7.5 to 8.5 gills. Time of day was key just like yesterday. 

54.jpg

54a.jpg

54b.jpg

54c.jpg

54d.jpg

• Like 2

eyeguy 54

hungry

57a.jpg

57d.jpg

57e.jpg

Team Bobberdown

Went and hit the river this opener caught A lot of little ones took home 3 nice eye's for a opener fish fry.

20180512_074118.jpg

• Like 4

eyeguy 54

nice eyes! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

• Similar Content

• minnleu
      By minnleu
      Hey, guys - I'm looking for a place to tie an older 16' Ranger 40hp up to around the St Cloud area for the 2018 season where I can come and go without restrictions.  Will trailer it to other lakes sometimes.  Lake or river.  I'm disabled, so close too parking or accessible with my electric scooter would be great.  Lift not necessary.
      Thank you,
      Tony  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. Minnesota fishermen can be selective of fish kept, as  they have had no problem filling Walleye limits.  17-19 feet will produce late in the day with 21-25 feet being most productive away from structure during mid day. Pink, white and gold have been most productive all around. Glow or UV have also had success during cloudy conditions if charged often.

Canada continues to give up Crappies between 25 and 32ft, still with a light setup and electronics. Many tulibee and the ocassional whitefish are being caught while crappie fishing.  Walleye in Canada on points and reefs remain easy to catch.

We still have plenty of ice on the Minnesota and Canadian side and trails are still being groomed. 

March is a great time for a last minute trip to the Angle!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

The Minnesota side is still kicking out fish between 18-25 feet. Fish are hitting jigging spoons when active; specifically White, Gold or U.V.  When activity levels are slow, try the Deadstick 8-10 inches from the bottom. We had numerous Giant Pike this week, all caught on Walleye spoons.

Canadian Walleye fishing is incredible. Fish are slamming aggressive presentations like rip’n raps and spoons tipped with Shiners. Crappie action varies day to day. An ultra-light set up is guaranteed to catch more Crappies than a walleye rod.

Trails are still being manicured and are in overall great condition. The warmer weather is exposing ice chunks off of the snowmobile trail and creating heaves, one near Knight Island deserves attention. Travel cautiously off of marked trails. We have 3+ feet of ice.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been most productive in 20-24 feet of water.  Guests are bringing home their limits of Walleye and Sauger with the occasional Perch and Northern mixed in. Fish have been most active early and late in the day and the bite has been terrific. The use of electronics continues to be very beneficial with fish taking jigging spoons, jigg’n raps or rattle baits.  Snowmobile ttrails on the Minnesota side continue to be maintained and are in great shape. We are still making ice, with most spots at over 30 inches. 

North and East of us in Canada, big Crappies are coming in on light tackle setups out of 30 feet. If you are looking for walleye, they are everywhere!

Until next week, 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been really good this past week with good numbers of slot fish and a 30” walleye. We have been on the move with our houses and it is paying off.  Multiple houses producing an all day sauger bite with plenty of walleye mixed in. 20-24 feet is where we have found the most action. Glow and white/gold spoons have been the prefered color as of late. 

Our snowmobile and marked trails are in great condition.  Thirty inches of ice is common with 24 in higher current areas.

Up in Canada, limits of crappies are still being had in 30’ and deeper water.  Ultra light tackle and rod set up can make the difference some days, while other days crappies can be caught on Rip’n Raps and Jigging spoons.  Walleye action remains strong on reefs and points in 24-28 feet. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, limits of walleye and sauger are being caught between 22 and 25 feet. Presentation changes daily from deadstick to jigging but not both. Pink and white, or gold and chartreuse have had many slot fish and lost a few BIG ones.

The Canadian side of the lake has seen a lot of northern action, with the biggest closing in on 48.” Walleye are still plentiful off of reefs and points. Crappie action has been sporatic with the changing weather fronts. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye continue to be caught in 18-21 feet at the bottom of shoreline breaks.  Rattle baits and jigging spoons call fish to the holes, while a plain hook and minnow seals the deal. Perch and sauger are consistently found between 25 and 28 feet, walleye can be found there too for a good mid-day bite. The hottest bite this week was within an hour of sundown. 

Up in Canada, walleye fishing remains relatively easy, get yourself to a spot that looks like walleye structure and start reeling them in!
      Canadian crappies are still filling freezers at 28-32 feet, with small UV colored rip’n raps or a small jig and plastic.  Depth finders have proven to be a necessity with finding a pattern in the fish, whether it be rising or falling jigging action.  

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      1.22.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye fishing has been consistent between 18-21 feet. The most effective method is on the dead stick set slightly above the jigging rod. 25-28 feet is also filling buckets with a good walleye and sauger mix, even the occasional jumbo perch. Slender and Tundra spoons have been bringing fish to the house. We have also seen numerous northern pike this week with the largest being over 42.”
      Canadian walleye fishing remain excellent, especially along points and reefs. Crappie action has been hit or miss. The bite has been better in the morning with anglers limiting out in the first few hours. Fishing deeper than 28 feet is important to get good action.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• #m2
      By #m2
      Does anyone know if big pine lake mn. By perham is safe  to drive on.. I'm driving ram 1500 hemi... and r the walleyes biting...thanks....
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

The bite remains consistent on the Minnesota side where we are fishing between 26 and 28 feet, yielding good walleye, sauger and jumbo perch. The dead stick will provide action early and throughout the day. Shallower depths are worth fishing early and late for quality walleye, a majority of which are in the slot.

Up in Canada, big crappies are filling buckets via minnows, plastics and rip’n raps as well as, very light setups in 28-32 feet. Walleye fishing is outstanding near structure, either points or reefs. jig’n raps, buck shots or spoons have been productive.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• crappieslapper
      Oh oh, sounds like work. Better than work in the office any day though. Thanks for getting back. Let you know how it goes this weekend.
    • BRULEDRIFTER
      Ely Lake is tough. I don't have much experience fishing it, but everything I've heard about it is weedlines are key. 
    • gimruis
      I was an intern for the DNR one summer many years ago and I rented out a large fish house as my residence it at Hunters Point Resort.  It was more like a small, one room cabin actually.  There was obviously no running water but there was a shower/bathroom complex a short walk from my door.  I had propane power so I could use that for cooking and it had electricity via an extension cord provided by the resort.  I paid a flat monthly fee to stay there.  The bar/restaurant was a short walk too so I spent many nights bellied up there drinking beer.  The one thing that I will advise to you on this subject is to outfit it with some air conditioning.  Those things are designed to be outside in the winter and stay warm so if its 70 outside, its 80 in there.  They turn into a friggin' oven.  I put a 12,000 BTU AC unit in mine and turned that sucker into a meat locker.  Lots of other people at the resort used their own winter houses as a weekend cabin there, plus there was a lot of RV's parked there too.
    • gimruis
      I'm not sure why rivers are so over looked here.  Its probably because we have so many lake options.  Plus some of these stretches of the river are quite shallow/rocky so I think that turns people off about launching a sizable boat.
    • crappieslapper
      Thank you sir. I have read through the DNR report and have a map printed out. Lot of structure, shallow humps and belly's mid lake, shallow shoreline points, etc.. So, plenty of places to try. Any idea what kind of forage is in there and a preferred bait shop in the area? Thanks for the reply!!
    • ZachD
      I agree the Mississippi I love the river I don't know much about it up there as I live more south But I fish the Mississippi just south of Elk river and the Rum river for Small mouth. I will take a 3lb river smallie fight over a 5lb lake bass any day 😁 Plus Get some bonus walleyes and big Northern as well   
    • chizek
      Anyone ever fish the stretch of the mississippi like highway 694 bridge to the lowry ave bridge   in ne minneapolis mn 
      any general info im looking for  been kind of exploring it 

• DLD24
      Do you have any tips for fishing Fish Lake this time of year? I'm gonna try it out in the next few days... Is it typically an early morning, late evening bite or can you get them all day long? Thanks for any info.
    • PRO-V
      Calling them would be your best bet. Maybe you can reserve some on a card.
    • delcecchi
      starft you off.... https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lake.html?id=69066000 http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/data/lakemaps/b0537011.pdf Status of the Fishery Ely Lake is located approximately 2 miles SE of the city of Eveleth. This popular lake is highly developed with homes and cabins. There is a small seaplane base and two public swimming beaches also located there. Water clarity is good and large amounts of aquatic vegetation can be found throughout the lake. 

There is a concrete planked boat ramp and dock located near the NE end of the lake off Cedar Island Drive (CR629) for public access. The parking space is somewhat limited near the ramp. Several private accesses are also present. 

Thirteen species of fish were sampled during the 2017 survey on Ely Lake. Gill nets, trap nets and night electrofishing were all used to sample the fish community. Small bluegill were common in the gill net catch (34%) and abundant in the trap net catch (57%). Other panfish species including hybrid sunfish, pumpkinseed, green sunfish and black crappie were also sampled in good numbers. Largemouth bass outnumbered smallmouth bass in the 2017 sample. Walleye (16%) contributed to the gill net catch and several were sampled in the trap nets. Yellow perch are present in average amounts and some good sized pike were again sampled during the 2017 survey. 

Bluegill numbers in 2017 (72.1/trap net) were much higher than the long term average (31.6/trap net) on Ely Lake and greatly above average (7.9/trap net) compared to other similar lakes in the area. The average bluegill sampled was 5.6 inches long and about 6 years old. Approximately 66% of the bluegill sampled with the trap nets were under 6 inches with a maximum size recorded of 8.0 inches. Bluegill sampled with the gill nets had a similar size structure. Approximately 7% of the hybrid sunfish sampled in the trap nets were 8 inches or larger. Several pumpkinseeds were also in this size range. 

Largemouth bass (92%) and smallmouth bass (8%) were sampled during the night electrofishing effort. The average largemouth sampled was 10.9 inches which is similar to the historic average of 10.6 inches. The biggest largemouth sampled was 18.5 inches. Approximately 33% of the largemouth sampled were 12 inches or larger. The average smallmouth sampled was 9.8 inches which is slightly larger than the historic average (8.4 inches). The largest smallmouth sampled was 16.8 inches long. Approximately 32% of the smallmouth sampled were 12 inches or larger. Largemouth bass were also sampled from the gill nets and trap nets in numbers above average. 

Walleye numbers in 2017 (6.2/gill net) were similar to the historic average (6.1/gill net) on Ely Lake and slightly above average (5.0/gill net) when compared to other similar area lakes with walleye. The average walleye sampled was 15.5 inches and about 4 years old. Approximately 34% of the walleye sampled were 15 inches or larger up to a maximum of nearly 29 inches. Walleye fingerlings are currently being stocked during even-numbered years and in 2017 approximately 62% of the walleye aged came from years where stocking occurred. 

Northern pike numbers in 2017 (1.1/gill net) were similar to the historic average (1.3/gill net) and below average (3.2/gill net) compared to other similar area lakes with pike. The average pike sampled was 26.8 inches which is similar to the historic average length of 26.3 inches. The largest pike sampled in 2017 was 35.2 inches long and sampled with a trap net.