• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St Cloud Fishing Reports

The transition seems to be around Brainerd the past few years that I’ve noticed.  Anything south seems to take a while to lock up good then goes bad earlier.

Probably has been that way a long time but I’ve only been in the area about 5 winters now and normally didn’t come this direction to ice fish before then.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Yea noticed that to. Since heading north to Itasca county since 1965, we notice the same with the weather and snow. Seems  brainerd is a line, then north of deer river.

i took a quick cruise around the chain yesterday. still looks like virgin ice and not to thick, except for one guy checking the ice on long lake across from the browns lake access. loked like he went out about 40 yards but was closer to the landing when i seem him. i was somewhat surprised that it appeared the meth hole was iced over as well as the river access but DO NOT LOOK SAFE!!!!!!!

browns lake had an open spot and there where about 20 swans out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Saw that guys on the South Side of long. I checked Schneider lake and only had 2 1/2-3 inches of soft ice. 

• Thanks 1

Well there are people out fishing today. Gonna have to go check thickness. Looked like there was over 5" last night when i walked around, but didnt drill any holes to verify. 

20201212_080503.jpg

• l Love It 1

Coming up there this evening. Which lake is this? I’m just driving around checking ice thickness. 

1 hour ago, The Chemist said:

Well there are people out fishing today. Gonna have to go check thickness. Looked like there was over 5" last night when i walked around, but didnt drill any holes to verify. 

20201212_080503.jpg

?icehawk, eyeguy, rick, tom????????????? 

On 12/12/2020 at 4:55 PM, IceHawk said:

Dang I've been spotted ?

Im assuming that wasnt you? 2 more days until a lengthy break. Hoping to run around the chain.

Well the 2020 ice fishing season has finally started full swing for me. My trusty K drill has become a part of me again almost like a 3rd arm ? Love the sound of fresh ice being shredded.  Been a while in the making for sure,  the warm weather was killer last few weeks been a long process to get safe ice. . I was traveling quite a bit few weeks ago fishing different parts of the state looking for safe ice and fishing . Its finally here walkable ice around the St cloud area lakes region. Been out 14 times on 10 different  lakes in the last two weeks.  In the St Cloud area lakes area  I'm seeing 2-6 inches on most lakes. Fortunately we have some sub zero temps next week to stiffen things up some more. Drove my wheeler on 2 local lakes but created a safe route to the areas I was fishing by checking ice consistently every 10 yds. Fishing has been outstanding been scoring on a good amount of panfish in shallow flats and small bays . Shallow to mid depth has been the ticket. Surpriseingl'y the basin fishing has been a little slow for me so far.  4mm amped outdoors Tungstens and Panfish Pirates ripper plastics have been the golden tickets for success. Also if you find some of the Clam Silkies give them a try many ways to hook and trim them to make quite a presentation. Been dynamite on crappies.  Been testing out  some of the new  Clam Frost Hi vis yellow mono this year and I'm telling you its the real deal. Very limp and subtle and anyone that has fished with me knows I'm a big big fan of P-Line! Well I think the new frost line is even better!!!.And i'm switching over for sure.  Looking forward to posting some more reports and tips throughout the season. Until then I'll be shredding ice all over the state in search of those trophy panfish. 

IMG_1063[231].jpg

IMG_1064[230].jpg

IMG_1062[232].jpg

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Was out Saturday on small lake and did well on sunfish. 14 ft water had fish consistently in hole 10 ft on down. Mostly small to med size but enough for a meal. Also got a bonus northern that put up a good fight. Went past Pearl and saw several anglers on it. Looked like a small spot of open water but most of it should be 5-6 inches. Probably saw over 100 anglers out on the 5 lakes I drove by. Sure was nice to get fishing again.

If anyone is using the 71 access on the chain, use some caution when getting on. When you are getting out of the narrows getting into the lake the small point on your right has opened up quite a bit the last couple of days. Stay towards the left hand side. With the snow, wind, and cold today it might cover it up some. Hate to have someone’s day start out as a wet one. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The walleye bite before tonight has been the best in years so far.   Limited out yesterday in the worst part of the storm!   Done well every time out except tonight(1 small eye)

Don

• Thumbs Up 1

Don saw the snap shack in place. ? Have to admit its been a decent walleye bite out there. This fall was lights out . Keep up the reports! What's the water clarity like by you? Kind of stained dirty where i'm fishing.

Edited by IceHawk

I thought i would leave it there all season so I can fish without much setup.   I will use my clam for other places.   Water clarity has been improving over the last week.   Started out at 2 feet and is now about 6-7 feet.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1

Got out again yesterday morning. Panfish  were very active in 13-14 ft water. Ice was around 8+ inches. 

Care to share the area and what's  been working for you?/ Sure some of the members would appreciate some tips that your finding with your success. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, IceHawk said:

Care to share the area and what's  been working for you?/ Sure some of the members would appreciate some tips that your finding with your success. 

You'll need to help me after new years relearn the chain. How sad is that growing up so close ???

7 hours ago, smurfy said:

You'll need to help me after new years relearn the chain. How sad is that growing up so close ???

Smurfy Smurfy ?So close yet so far away isn't that the saying ? You grew up in Richmond and only moved 5 miles away to Cold Spring my hometown and have forgotten where to fish the chain. ? I'm sure once we deactivate the GPS put a blindfold on and make you fish out of a cardboard box with no windows as not to give away a location ? I can surely show you some of the better spots to fish, now my bread butter areas might cost you a few beverages and steaks couple venny backstraps LOL!  Seriously anytime bud! 

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 12:52 AM, The Chemist said:

Im assuming that wasnt you? 2 more days until a lengthy break. Hoping to run around the chain.

Peter got your PM a little late today was busy shredding ice. My follow up PM with details may have been to late sorry! How did you end up doing out there?. 

25 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Smurfy Smurfy ?So close yet so far away isn't that the saying ? You grew up in Richmond and only moved 5 miles away to Cold Spring my hometown and have forgotten where to fish the chain. ? I'm sure once we deactivate the GPS put a blindfold on and make you fish out of a cardboard box with no windows as not to give away a location ? I can surely show you some of the better spots to fish, now my bread butter areas might cost you a few beverages and steaks couple venny backstraps LOL!  Seriously anytime bud! 

?? I know pathetic isn't it. But I was forced all my young life to go up to Itasca county and fish them God forsaken lakes up there ?

11 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Sorry had to work till 10 tonight. Small lake north of Eden Valley. Using wax worms on either a small tungsten tear drop or very small jigging spoon.  Brighter colors silver or white as water is very dirty.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, smurfy said:

?? I know pathetic isn't it. But I was forced all my young life to go up to Itasca county and fish them God forsaken lakes up there ?

Not really if I would of had that option I would of maybe done same. I just got dumped off at HWY 23 bridge access as a kid starting at  about age 12. Pops would unload my little 14 foot boat and 6 hp and off I would go from sunrise to dark  all day running the chain fishing. At about dark he would be there waiting with trailer to load me up. Man I was lucky to have such a great Dad and I still love him today for it! He never complained sure it made him nervous as heck letting me go all day at that age but he saw my passion. And over the years it got worse and worse  Made me into the fisherman I am today, Back then all i had was that little rig no locator only the anchor and rope to tell where drop offs were and what kind of bottom content was therre.  Well I can tell you alot has changed over the years. Remember how good Mertens bay use to be for crappies been kind of a ghost town last few years. But honestly the same old areas you probably fished still have some sort of activity. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

Yea that bay was nuts. Even in front of that island. Used to be THE SPOT for crappie. But my brother and I pulled a plenty of bullheads out of the channel by Richmond marine and by my grandma's place. More commonly known as the poop rock.? old man binsgfield used to smoke then for us 

By schyellers used to be another crappie spot. Oh the old days.?

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got two daughters, 11 and 9. We fish Pearl because we bought a cabin there last Spring. Any tips on finding a spot to regularly pull up fish. I just want bites to keep the girls excited. We have no flasher, but we do have an underwater camera. Any tips would be appreciated. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Frav said:

I've got two daughters, 11 and 9. We fish Pearl because we bought a cabin there last Spring. Any tips on finding a spot to regularly pull up fish. I just want bites to keep the girls excited. We have no flasher, but we do have an underwater camera. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Been a couple years since I’ve been there, but straight out from access in 15 ft or deeper is where many go and get panfish. I didn’t fish there much as I tend to stay away from the crowds. I usually went to the left of the access quite a ways and found 13 - 15 ft water. I remember a place on shore that had a gazebo and I usually fished in that area. Usually had weeds and on good days had panfish and occasionally northern and bass.  I think if you find weeds you should find fish.  Good luck. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Icehawk, spent yesterday out on Horseshoe in the bay to the right of the winter access. Kid lost a nice eye at the hole and we missed 5 other bites. Stayed out late as we didnt get out until 330. Went to Long today. Kid out fished me, 2 crappies and his first cat. I lost a real nice crappie at the hole. He also missed a couple of cats. Alot of lookers tonight after dark. Was a major pain walking in the snow with no cleats. Picking up a trailer tomorrow as i will not be able to haul everything by myself.

20201229_183120.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

On cedar  island tonight.   8 inches of ice and water is pretty dirty.   Visibility less than 3 ft

• Thumbs Up 1