• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St Cloud Fishing Reports

You guys are all funny?????? Just to clarify, ,  , Pretty sure Tom WASN'T trying to claim that fish?...lol? 

I just thought it was funny. It took me a little bit before I recognized the hands and coat as being mine... then remembered I had sent him that picture?

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah you can be sure alright ,,,, pretty obvious. Grabbed it out of panfish pic post. 

, just throttling them on spoons ?

Here's another spoon fed sled ,,,,20200229_163147.thumb.jpg.e83ff6293f6b46c83d62c49d2b85b40e.jpg

Forgot the yard stick ?

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

When you gonna buy a bump board?  Makes it easier to measure those oinkers. ? nice one

666F0EC5-FB11-42C6-BD19-0DD550C8D1A6.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

so iffin anyones cruisin thru cold spring tomorrow afternoon.. say 2-4 stop by winners. the wild game feed is happening............and i'll even let ya buy me a beer!!!!!!!!!!!?:rolleyes:

• Yayyyy 1

Hit the ice for a few hours today. Access point is still holding up pretty well. Had a couple people drive past me, I decided to walk out?.  Ice really took a beating again, must have lost 2-3 inches of ice throughout the day.

Fish are starting to push from the mid winter spots toward their late ice locations.  Those shallow weeds are really starting to hold quality. 

The bite was a little off today, had to work them a little harder than normal to get the bigger ones to go. Downsizing from the 4 or 5mm tungsten to a 3mm was key in a successful outing .

This BIG,  beat up , humphead female gill was by far the highlight of my day. Took a couple pics and returned her to hopefully spawn this spring.

20200308_204657.jpg

Edited by Rick G
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Could definitely hear the water running in holes and cracks today.   Looks like the forecast is a bit cooler for the coming week.   

I drove today but in my little vehicle.  The 1 ton diesel stayed home.

I would say we lost a solid 3-4" of ice from last weekend plus the top 4" is soft.  I left at 1pm so it likely burned up more.

• Thanks 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Was fishing up in the Brainerd area today still good ice and some snow but from what I saw on way home things looked like they were deteriorating more and more the further S I drove, Was down on Kandi earlier this week and ice was snow free assume those lakes are worse then here after today. Friday was up on some lakes in Parkers Prariie area and things were in real good shape. I wouldn't advise truck traffic anywhere locally anymore. 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thanks 1

I watched tv and went for a walk. Lol. Fish on guys!

Edited by eyeguy 54
  • Yayyyy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up Rick on local conditions. Still great ice conditons NW of ALEX  yet Sunday had 10 trucks on the lake I was on. For me it was officially over Sunday had a great  season cant complain one bit.  I started hanging up my gear today and getting open water stuff ready. Plan on picking up the boat soon as I purchased some new goodies to put on a new trolling motor and a new graph so some new rigging ahead ? Looking forward to getting back in it hopefully on the RAINY RIVER!  Nice batch other day that lake kicked out some good ones this winter especially crappies. Did good on the opposite shoreline from where you been fishing a few times and in the narrows sight fishing. Those perch never showed themselves to many times but sure were nice when they did. Looking forward to crappie fishing out on the whole chain  this summer should be real good. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rick G said:

If you were on the opposite shoreline or narrows, you missed it bud? had to be in that cabbage bed?I went all around that sucker, maybe 5-6 times... had guys with panoptix out too.   Found fish in lots of spots, but only one was LOADED with big fish...lol.

We been hitting it hard for last 5 weeks, by far best local bite I have ever experienced.... there were days when we had 20-30 gills over 9inches, average crappie was 11inches.... with countless 12+ mixed in. 

FUN ! Oh I held my own couldn't complain  ? I  didn't fish it near that often to many other lakes on the hit list,  When I did the results were pretty dang good. Good to see those big gills still loafing around. Found some  in the SE corner earlier ice some tankers at that.   I'm more impressed at the number of big crappies in the system released more 13 inchers this year then all my years past summer or winter looking dang good for the future out there. ?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rick G said:

Depending on weather conditions, I might just be done locally, maybe a couple more trips North for the winter

After what I found out there the other day, I know Clearwater is done for me. Not much for quality where I was. I'm sure the 6 - 8 we were standing on is probably polar plunge time today. 

Time to head North for a week or two, then hang it up. Glad gas is cheap, while the fishing is hot. 

20200317_123134.thumb.jpg.2d3ed9930d00a7b97faa0296a6adebd6.jpg

Lots of fun sight fishing the reeds ?

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
3 hours ago, JeremyCampbell said:

Wow looks like a lot of fun guys?

Nice to see you back @JeremyCampbell.

Still finding good solid ice locally. Shorelines are really taking a beating,  if you can make it past the first 5ft of ice... you should be fine? Still finding 18+ inches of ice of various consistancy.  

Bite has been good one day and not so great the next. I'm blaming the day to day change of weather patterns...lol.  Fished the same lake the last two days. Yesterday found the bigger gills in 7-9ft, tucked tight in the standing weeds. Today they were out in 12-15ft  cruising the drop off.  It's a bit more of a challenge when they won't stay in one spot for more than a few minutes ?  Still managed to get some decent quality for the couple hours I was out.

20200321_175424.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

14 minutes ago, Rick said:

That's a beast @Rick G.

My fav!

It must be a dandy. He dang near smiled!! ??????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 2
  • l Love It 1

The only jigs I use are the custom jig and spin ones they are affordable and have lots of sizes and colors 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Austin12345 said:

The only jigs I use are the custom jig and spin ones they are affordable and have lots of sizes and colors 

Yes the are,  and yes they do.   Custom jigs does produce a very good product. Their line of finesse plastics ended up being my go-to baits for a good portion of this ice season?

• Thanks 1

Very good hooks the Checkai has been a mainstay in many tackle boxes for years and still is. Austin check out the Wolf Finkee a tungsten version of the original lead Rat Finkee. Has been real good on crappies this winter. Guessing it will be a killer on big panfish this summer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Indeed that checkai is a dandy and will always be in my box. Another company I really like is widow maker. A little spendier  but really like them. Spring time I mainly use good old cheap plain round head lead jigs but will be using more of the ice jigs from now on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I made it out for a little bit today.  Still was a fair size sheet of ice floating around on the main lake yet, not too bad considering 90% of this lake was still covered this last thursday.Water temp was 39 out there. I headed back into a small bay out of the wind.  Water temp was 48 in the furthest back corner, this is where I found a few bluegill hiding.  Size definitely was not what I was looking for, but sometimes it isn't always about catching the big'uns? I found myself content just to be back out casting the long rod...a few fish pulling on the line was an added bonus? Better days of catching are right around the corner

20200405_180027.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

• 3 weeks later...

Water temps on local lakes have started to climb again the last few days... This means the fish will be shallow and feeding. I took full

advantage today, picking a shallow, dark bottom bay to spend the afternoon. Fishing was very good, found a mix of gills and crappies hanging just below the surface in 2-3 feet of water. 1-2inch tube jigs under a small float , worked back slowly worked on the active biters.  

IMG_20200423_152714051_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20200423_152730088.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

On 4/24/2020 at 7:23 AM, PeachyHans said:

Pike were biting strong at the st cloud dam yesterday. My girlfriend caught her first fish! We were trying for catfish but the northerns went after everything.

Thanks for the report!!!