• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St Cloud Fishing Reports

I too was on one of the local bodies of water. Found most of my walleyes up in less than 8'. I started the evening pitching jigs and plastic to a mid lake sand/rock bar and picked off one here and there. Switched over to husky jerks and casted to the weedlines with better results. I think we ended up with 8or 9 walleyes and a few big crappies that were all released to swim another day grin.

The last two night were some of the warmest Oct. full moon fishing trips I have ever been on. I was still doing just fine in a light sweat shirt at almost midnight where in a normal Oct. I would be in my ice gear by now. I hope the rain dies down by this evening as I sure would like to get back out again tonight wink.

Nels, we were in 25fow sitting about 200 yards away from the bridge i was useing a flashbright bobber and fishing about a foot off the bottom with chicken liver 1.98 for a tub @ cash wise.. the cats would run @ the bait the bobber would take off side ways but would have to wait a few seconds for them to take it down fishing was hot from 11pm to 1am then it just shut off.

Was out on Rice this past Sunday. It was more like fishing the North Atlantic though with the wind blowing! Managed to boat a 12.5" and 19.5" Walleyes. The bigger walleye came at dusk with a crankbait. Pretty windy to hold a boat in the typical spots. Water temp was right around 54 degrees.

Another great weekend on the Horseshoe chain, water temp was 50-53 through out the western lakes. Found crappies ,walleyes and plenty of cats too grin in 8-15 ft of water on hard breaks close to shallow flats. We were getting most of our fish on the 1/8 oz. fireball jigs tiped with rainbows or fatheads. We also got a few eyes and bass on husky jerks and shadraps throwing to the shallow rock covered points . I finaly had a chance to try out the new Lindy river rocker and I have got to say I am very impressed on the nice tight action of this new lure. This will be one of my new go-to baits for trolling or casting over shallow structure wink.

Water temp this weekend was in the mid 40's and what that means is the fall bite is in ultra-hi gear grin. I made it out to Birch and the chain Fri-Sun and the walleye bite is about as good as it can get. The fish were all over just about any bait we stuck in front of them as long as it was worked slow.

On Birch we found most of the fish schooled up thick in the 15-20ft range in the rocks and around the midlake humps.

On the chain we found fish from 8-22ft on the main lake structure and from 2-12ft in the river section. I kept three walleyes in the 15-17 in range for dinner tonight and the ones I cleaned had lots of 2-2.5in sunfish packed into their guts.

B.t.w. the catfish bite is also going strong durring the afternoon-evening hours. They are starting to migrate closer to the wintering holes wink

Fished Big Fish yesterday/evening with similar results, in addition, 'lots of hammer handles with a couple of ax handles mixed in. Saw one quite impressive Northern cruising a weedline that didn't seem to worried I was in his territory. Most fish were in the 20 FOW-ish range w/ 1 from the shallows.

Water temps were also mid 40's.

And w/ no other traffic on the water it was like having my own private lake.

I know rifle opener is closing in fast, but after a 2 week hiatus fishing is oh so tempting. confused

Made it to one of our local bodies of water both Sat and part of Sun. Couldn't fish the lakes I wanted or spots on the water I ended up on due to high winds. Found water temps still in the mid 40's where I ended up. Fish are active on jigs and fatheads or stick baits such as the husky jerks worked slow. Best depth for me was under 8ft and all of my fish came off rocky shorelines.

Full moon coming on the 10th of this month, I will be out every night till the 14 gringrin.

This wind we have had the last week has made things tough on the area lakes. Water temp is still in the 41-43 range and the fish have moved from their early fall locations to the late fall/early ice spots grin

The water on the H.S. chain hs finaly cleared up in the last week, vis is around 4-5ft in the non river areas. The cats are starting to stack up thick in the meth hole area and there are plenty of crappies and walleyes lurking close by too wink.

The Miss is still producing a few walleyes but with the water clearing up the fish have been feeding more at night. By far my best action as of late has come from below Blanchard with husky jerks or jigs and white twisters.

Fished HS chain yesterday and had a perfect 0 for the day. I was marking some fish in sporadic areas but couldn't buy a bite for anything.

RFM when fishing below the Blanchard are you fishing from shore or boat? And if by boat where do you put in @?

Where is the meth hole. I was fishing the horseshoe today and I got a few bites in about 20-25 foot range t the base of some shallow humps. Nothing exciting though.

osok, I been doing my fishing from shore. I am kinda funny about this section of river at night in a boat grin. There is a pay access off Nature road the Roylaton Lions own that I have used in the past, it's a lot better than launching at Sartell and motoring all the way up to the dam.

durham1296, The meth hole is the deep water area when you come off the shallow flat just out from the river mouth on Horseshoe. Reason it's called meth hole is the large amount of methane gas bubbles that come up from the bottom.

• 1 month later...

We had a great day on the ice today. In about 4 hours we got our limit of crappies on a local lake. We had to work for them drilling as they moved but it was well worth it. One of the best days I've had ice fishing. Saw mostly 6" of ice.

briggs12_17_11.jpg

Yup was a good weekend of fishing, wish I would've made it out yesterday, but had an xmas party then decided to take the last couple of hours of daylight to get back into the woods with my bow. Fished Friday and Saturday. Fish were a bit finicky, but definately catchable with a bit of work.

Nater, if you don't mind, could you clean out your PM box? I have a couple questions to ask if you don't mind. smile

I was out on Julia yesterday too. Pretty quiet over there too. I figured with the storm front coming in, theyd be biting good. Exact opposite..haha..

Thanks for the report.

Made it out on the lake tonight to test out my new house. Between 3 guys had 2 limits of crappies and kept 2 walleyes in an hour and a half. Good night, fish were active 20-24 FOW. 5:30-7pm

Fishing was good this weekend. Made it on the Ice Thursday night, Friday evening and last night. Thursday was the best fishing before the crowds moved in. Still had quite a bit of luck last night and Friday though. The hotspot was dead last night (I assume due the the fishing pressure) didn't mark a fish for the first 45 minutes, moved about 100-150 yards off the spot and was able keep enough crappies for a good meal for 2 along with a Walleye.

The walk off had tons of standing water, 4 wheelers were wheeling around yet with ease though. Let's hope the ice holds up here for us, and remember you don't always have to be in the crowds to catch fish. BOL fishing everyone!

Sagatagan- Can't help you, I believe you may not be able to use power augers??<Can anyone clarify this?> Horseshoe- depends on what your fishing. Cats, Walleye, Crappies=yes Sunnies? Salmon, trout, sauger, eelpout= not so much grin

Can't really go wrong on the Horseshoe Chain. Bite has slowed a bit, but if you work for them or move around you'll catch fish everytime out. Best of Luck!

i do know that you have to hand drill holes on sagatagan

Let us know how you do if you make it out there! Never fished it myself, but know many people who like to canoe and fish it and have had alot of luck.

seeing alot of people out on becker thats awesome but i know what is out there and alot of small crappies and you know people are keeping them. try conservation and do catch and release and next year and the following year you will be able to go out and catch 10-14 inchers all day long.but do what you want just something to think about can keep the small ones and the lake will be fished out or never have big ones or catch and release and next years will be amazing.

Was on Sag the other day. Went out at 7am left at 11am with one northern in 15 fow...Tried all depths and couldn't mark fish. this is usually a lake I do well on...first time out and its early so i'm not to upset by it...just a bit surprised with the lack of seeing fish....:(

trying another lake tomorrow....hopefully its better