• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St Cloud Fishing Reports

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Sounds like a great day.

I zipped somewhere northwest of Minneapolis today for a few hours between work and more work (er, procrastination). Didn't have time to go far, so stuck close to the area somewhere northwest of Minneapolis. smile

I'd heard the lake had nice sized panfish, so figured a few hours in the sunshine would dispel one myth and at least get me some Vitamin D.

Couldn't find anything worth working for. Lots of smallish sunnies and 8'' crappies. Learned that rumors aren't always true, at least if you send a lazy, chubby guy chasing after them. wink

The difference between reported 12 and an actual 8 inch crappie is technically only 4 inches smile

And if I hold an 8 '' crappie right in front of my face, it starts to look quite impressive indeed!

I'll be giving it another try, though. It's kind of like trying to get a date with a hot chick: My own failure to succeed does not mean that it cannot be done.

It's kind of like trying to get a date with a hot chick: My own failure to succeed does not mean that it cannot be done.

said a very wise man smile

And if I hold an 8 '' crappie right in front of my face, it starts to look quite impressive indeed!

I'll be giving it another try, though. It's kind of like trying to get a date with a hot chick: My own failure to succeed does not mean that it cannot be done.

Your failure to success; although as fun as it might be keeping that dream alive, as you punch hole after hole. Try as you may, a lot of lakes just don't have what it takes to produce "BABES". Others have/had it, but the mentality of most "meat market" fisherpeople, not releasing the larger sunfish, (especially large males), and female crappie, then targeting these fish when they are most vulnerable; the genes that once produced trophies leave the lake for good inside a 5 gallon bucket.

But, you can always tell yourself that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of that 8 incher". It makes me laugh inside how standards of "beauty" varies so much. Which is just fine, or even great for most, doesn't even make it to a photo shoot for others. It's tough to grasp our areas true potential for producing "BULLS" or "JUMBOS".

Until you've had the privilege of holding them yourself, most people will always just wonder if and where they might exist.

Sometimes it's fun to daydream....... but, I'd rather hear my drag scream and then my camera click.

Don't forget that fat girls/gills and sumo/perch need lovin' too. Besides their personality is always better than their looks.

Here is about a 9 incher taken up close with a go pro grin

full-27018-43637-gopr0106.jpg

Great shot! your avatar is nice too PB.

That's one sweet crappie. Hope you got her number, a date when she fills out is definitely in order.

Nice shot, PB.

St John's Prep is putting on a performance of Grease down at the Paramount right now. Looks like Junior's dressed and ready to go! smile

Your failure to success; although as fun as it might be keeping that dream alive, as you punch hole after hole. Try as you may, a lot of lakes just don't have what it takes to produce "BABES". Others have/had it, but the mentality of most "meat market" fisherpeople, not releasing the larger sunfish, (especially large males), and female crappie, then targeting these fish when they are most vulnerable; the genes that once produced trophies leave the lake for good inside a 5 gallon bucket.

But, you can always tell yourself that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of that 8 incher". It makes me laugh inside how standards of "beauty" varies so much. Which is just fine, or even great for most, doesn't even make it to a photo shoot for others. It's tough to grasp our areas true potential for producing "BULLS" or "JUMBOS".

Until you've had the privilege of holding them yourself, most people will always just wonder if and where they might exist.

Sometimes it's fun to daydream....... but, I'd rather hear my drag scream and then my camera click.

Don't forget that fat girls/gills and sumo/perch need lovin' too. Besides their personality is always better than their looks.

Yeah, the lake does have nice fish in it (it's a private lake and therefore doesn't get the pressure that public lakes do). I just didn't try that hard because I only had a few hours and it was a loooong walk just to get on the lake. As I said, I'm lazy. wink

I'm in full agreement about the need for more C&R for the big panfish. It's nice to see more guys releasing the big ones, but it's not what it should be. Heck, when I was a kid, I remember catching HUGE sunnies on Sauk Lake. And no matter who I went with, we always--every single time--kept our limit of the big ones (we literally wouldn't leave until we caught our limit). Back then, that was 90 or 120 depending on how many people were in the boat. The same family members, 15-20 years later, still complain that Sauk doesn't have the size of fish it used to (though now it's all those farmers' faults for plowing up all the land, of course).

Yes how true Carl. People that seem to have this mindset just can't understand why they don't get any "super" spots from people when they ask them. I can bring them to a community spot to find out what they are really like fast, with just the occasional "BULL", but lots of eaters.

Oh well...... they loose out on the fun of binging up 9 inchers and even better ones!!!

Icing trophy gills is what helps us get through our long winters.

Nice job Rick G on the gills, looks like a fun day out there. The guy holding the bass has been holding bass the last cpl times you posted pics, he must be the bass master of the group. lol

-Nice work on the fish everyone. Great pics and reports

Yes how true Carl. People that seem to have this mindset just can't understand why they don't get any "super" spots from people when they ask them. I can bring them to a community spot to find out what they are really like fast, with just the occasional "BULL", but lots of eaters.

Oh well...... they loose out on the fun of binging up 9 inchers and even better ones!!!

Icing trophy gills is what helps us get through our long winters.

Yep. I don't eat fish, so if I do keep any, they're given away to those who'll enjoy them more than I do. And they've never complained that the fillets are from a 15'' walleye or a 25'' fish, a 9'' crappie or a 13 incher. I have NO problem with people keeping fish to eat, but if they're keeping the big piggies, they better not complain a few years later about how that lake that used to be good just don't seem to have the same quality fish as it used to. wink

Oh yeah, and I was going to go out fishing today, but I walked around the north side of the house and just about got blown over. Figured being lazy was the best bet--go figure!

Hit the chan for a while this afternoon. The bite was a little off, but with a bit of work we put a few fish on the ice. full-26589-43664-20140322_132632.jpg

full-26589-43665-20140322_134827.jpg

full-26589-43666-20140322_175452.jpg

full-26589-43667-20140322_175516.jpg

full-26589-43668-20140322_175528.jpg

full-26589-43669-20140322_175550.jpg full-26589-43671-20140322_175539.jpg

The spot we hit was a shallow feeding flat, we worked the top edge, best bite came from 8-12ft of water.

Looks like fun for the locals lately.All these nice reports.Hope to get in on the fun too sometime soon

Made it out to the Avon area for a couple of hours today. Crappies were cooperating, with a mix of size. All fish caught on plastics, with a horizontal jig. Started deep, working up the drop off, majority of fish caught in 20’

photo2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

Hey all! Finally made it out after work today.Realized I had only brought my painting tennis shoes.Feet were pretty wet during fishing but I wasn't too worried.Had a super time on the ice.Drilled around 10 holes until I found the fish.12FOW Seemed to be where the nifty bites were.A lot of 7"-8"Sunnies.The spring bobber was my friend today.Kept some for dinner and released around 30 or so fish.Hey,it was a productive day!

And of course,the sink shot..

full-45395-43798-imag0057.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

nice. smile call if heading out wed or fri. freezer is about empty on gills.

Nice work Jeremy! except for the shoes. I will be headed this week and weekend trying for some of the huge gills I have been seeing. I know they will bite sometime.

Yeah a bird just reminded me I went over the limit By one fish.I did this once before and can't believe I did it again.I did this unintentionaly but I will remember next time.

take me monster. I need some monsters. smile

I can go Friday around 2pm eyeguy it is a bit of drive for you but come on over

Yeah a bird just reminded me I went over the limit By one fish.I did this once before and can't believe I did it again.I did this unintentionaly but I will remember next time.

tweet,tweet!

friday might work. pm me yer cell please. princeton is close or where ya thinkin? my auger should be fixed wednesday I hope. smile

maybe jeremy will join also?

After 12pm I'm game on Friday unless I flake out which is nothing new.lol

Changed my gas mixture 50:1.It works awesome!