• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St Cloud Fishing Reports

@Rick G

have you changed your approach or how you are fishing with no snow cover this year? It seems to really have changed things. Fish are spooky to  any movement above the ice.  Even just jigging a rod with your hand etc. spooks fish. Weed lines are not dying off etc., fish are staying up shallower etc.

I have had a lot more luck just dead sticking and bobber fishing and being away from holes or intentionally drilling holes in slush pockets or drifts to eliminate shadows etc.

On 2/22/2024 at 9:19 AM, rundrave said:

@Rick G

have you changed your approach or how you are fishing with no snow cover this year? It seems to really have changed things. Fish are spooky to  any movement above the ice.  Even just jigging a rod with your hand etc. spooks fish. Weed lines are not dying off etc., fish are staying up shallower etc.

I have had a lot more luck just dead sticking and bobber fishing and being away from holes or intentionally drilling holes in slush pockets or drifts to eliminate shadows etc.

Just trying to make as little noise as possible once holes have been drilled.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Being we had a few hours of weather cold enough to make ice I decided to check out one of the small shallow lakes in the St Cloud area.  Ice was in surprisingly good shape this morning, had about 6-7 inches of hard ice again.  

Found a pretty decent bite in 8-11 ft of water.  Crappies were riding high in the water colom while sunfish remained close to the bottom for the most part.  Best bait for me was a 3mm motoroil/chrome with a impulse mayfly.

By mid afternoon we could definitely tell the ice wasn't as firm as it was in the morning. By the time we left at 4pm I had put all thoughts of returning tomorrow morning out of my mind.  At no point did I feel unsafe, we were prepared for whatever, floatation suits, ropes and ice picks at the ready😏😁

Today was definitely my last day on the ice for the yr...next stop, spring carp/suckers😁

IMG_20240229_100802816_HDR.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

yea that ice looks like its about on its last leg!!!!

• 1 month later...

Spring is here😆 Finally got my first open water outing of the yr.... Surprisingly, fish are actually shallow and biting....for now anyway.  

IMG_20240406_133402865_HDR~2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
5 hours ago, Rick G said:

Spring is here😆 Finally got my first open water outing of the yr.... Surprisingly, fish are actually shallow and biting....for now anyway.  

IMG_20240406_133402865_HDR~2.jpg

Nice but not today, looking at the snow outside the window right now!  :D

• Yayyyy 1

4 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Nice but not today, looking at the snow outside the window right now!  :D

Didn't get any snow in St. Cloud, just  needed rain.  

Hopefully back out next Tuesday for suckers and wed for panfish again...time to go pick some nightcrawlers 😁

Edited by Rick G
  • Thumbs Up 3