• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St Cloud Fishing Reports

Hit a local shore spot on my way home from a job site meeting. Found some impressive gills hanging in the rocks close to shore

20160804_131827.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Rick: When you're running the Vexilar, how do you affix your transducer to the kayak ??  Assume you have some sort of bracket ? or a way to keep it in position.?

Thanks

On 8/8/2016 at 3:11 PM, Sculpin said:

Rick: When you're running the Vexilar, how do you affix your transducer to the kayak ??  Assume you have some sort of bracket ? or a way to keep it in position.?

Thanks

I ran an eye bolt to the outside of my yak....used the rubber clamp thingy that came with the Vexilar to hold my transducer at the right depth and slightly away from my yak.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Rick. I'd like to find some sort of bracket, there was a commercial tip down one around a number of years back, when there were more portable units out there.  If anyone knows how to fashion one, or find one, please let me know.

Thanks

Couple big ones from yesterday. Finding some very nice gills close to mid lake humps. Getting a few crappies in same area.... Few bigger crappies in the river. Casting jigs or small crank baits was most effective for the crappies. Find the baitfish, big pannies will be close.

20160814_150729.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been out a whole lot the last two weeks due to Family issues.... Decided to take to boat out for a few hrs yest. Hit a section of river that fishes more like a lake than the river. Found plenty of active fish holding tight to hard bottom areas. Jigs tipped with half a nightcrawler is all we used, slowly bouncing it off the bottom.

20160828_154701.jpg

20160828_162459.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I haven't been able to fish too much lately, but I was able to get the river for a bit the other day.  Looks like the smallies are still holding to the bank, and there's some really nice fish to be had right now.  I always work the deeper bank, and like to throw cranks.  But, I've also found a few fish on the rock piles.  Just not the quantities you'll see as we get closer to fall.  I was out for about 2 hours, and pulled a couple nice ones.  One tipped 4lbs, and was 19.5".  Looking forward to fall, but on the other hand I'm not.  

20160826_141842_zpso2ehxnh3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hit the water for a few hrs this morning. Last nights cold front made for a chilly morning. With that being said, I figured the bite would be tough....I was right for the most part. It was tough. I found pods of fish holding very tight to a weedline in 8ft of water. They wanted almost nothing to do with night crawlers or panfish leeches. Only thing they would bite on was the Gulp Alive minnows on a 1/100 jig. I think they were keying in on the slow drop toward the bottom. 

Nothing super impressive today, did get one that went 9.5in

20160913_115445.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been fishing much at all this fall, because of a puppy addition.  But, I did get out today for about 2 hours.  It seems that smallies are where they should be this time of year on the river.  Bigger ones are still tight on the bank, and are aggressive towards cranks.  

I did get out on Detroit Lake last weekend to try and get a 50" ski, but alas....nothing.  We had a few follows and one on at the boat that was a low 40s.  All were chasing bucktails.  To at least give us some good feelings we trolled cranks along the weed line..and caught multiple pike and bass.  And you know the bass are aggressive when they're hitting bucktails almost the same size as themselves.  

IMG_56731_zpsqnn1zmx2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/10/2016 at 9:23 PM, Team Bobberdown said:

Went out again and this day we killed them. Had our limit in two hour. Even made it to church on time. It was a very good morning. Love stringers like that.

IMG_20161009_093604.jpg

IMG_20161009_151519_01.png

IMG_20161009_094211.jpg

Nice haul! I'm guessing this was from the shore? I'm heading out with a friend Tuesday to hunt some eyes, he's got a few spots he knows about to try. Hoping we have stringers like that! 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Cmax said:

Anybody know if the access across from the hospital is useable again? How's the walleye bit in that area?

Andy, not a ton of walleyes in that section. If your in the right place you will get action.  My two best areas are around the train bridge and the rip-rap on the West side by the 23 bridge.  Have also done well out in front of Wilson park, but thats more of a hit and miss spot this time of yr.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Rick G said:

Andy, not a ton of walleyes in that section. If your in the right place you will get action.  My two best areas are around the train bridge and the rip-rap on the West side by the 23 bridge.  Have also done well out in front of Wilson park, but thats more of a hit and miss spot this time of yr.

Any suggestions on areas for walleyes this time of year? Trying to stay close to home

Went out after some walleye on friday morning. Did get a few. Try a different spot and pull this guy in off of a 1/4 oz jig and fathead. Didn't get a measurement but put it up against the rod and measured later and was right about 41+. Fun catch on a jig and 8lb line. Good to see you out there eyeguy. How did you do on other side? Also thought I seen the Subaru parked by a bridge? Was that you? 

IMG_20161014_112423_01.jpg

IMG_20161014_112434_01.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks Jeremy. The fall bite has been good. Hope it continues onto the ice when we get some :-) B-). Picked these up this morning before church. This time on the sauk river in a little hole I know in waite park.

IMG_20161012_203009.jpg

IMG_20161012_202957.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I have been out in the Boston Ma. area for the last month working....no fishing for me :-(  

Got a chance to come home for a few days before heading back out...... Hit the river well before sunrise today. Moon was big and bright, wind was calm.  Figured there wiuld be a few fish biting on crankbaits being it's October. I was right, my first dozen casts to a rock bar got me half a dozen walleyes, two smallies and a northern. Spent about a hour and a half catching a nice mixed bag of fish before calling it quits. Blue/chrome Husky jerk was the only bait I had a chance to try, most of the fish hit when I paused the bait. Nothing huge, this 18in was about the biggest walleye

20161017_052145.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Hit the river for a coupke hrs before the rain started. Smallies are on fire..... I started out trying for some walleyes, but soon changed tactics after the smallies wouldn't leave my baits alone. Minnow style baits worked over the rocks very slow was just what the brown bass were looking for.

20161017_144600.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

watch out for those shore casters ! ! :)

• Thumbs Up 3