• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St Cloud Fishing Reports

Back at it today, picked a place that would keep me out of the wind.  This was a lake I have been on twice already this yr in search of panfish and stumbled on some nice bass. So my object was to find some post spawn largemouth bass. I had best luck in 6-8ft of water pitching jigs to the weedlines and slowly bringing it back. Got one big pig, othewise most of were in the 14-16 in range. 

20160522_131621.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

wow!  congrats on a beast !

Not really a local report, but I'll throw this out there.

The fishing on Mille Lacs is scalding hot right now. Get 'em before they spread out. I guess the gill nets didn't snag them all! Walleyes, including big ones in the upper 20's, are hitting anything that moves in 6-8 FOW, even bass lures like jigs-and-craw or drop shot.

Of course the smallies up there are pigs, but they're a little more skittish. They'll see your boat a mile away in that zebra-mussel-strained super-clear water, and by the time you see them, they're uncatchable. They're hitting some jerkbaits on the ends of super long casts pretty well, but only on the pause, the longer the better, like 10-20 seconds. Water is 59 degrees.

Keep moving because the fish are in bunches. No bites in 10 minutes, start the outboard and find a new rock pile. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sunny bragging rights. I wish I was bragging game fish, but 20 of these honest 9ers is pretty cool. I kept 3 which made a good snack and fed the cat too. I just beat the storms and came home a hero. (At least the cat thinks so)

IMG_20160523_175853218-1600x1200.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

kitty loves you. :) 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
On May 21, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Barefoot said:

http://www.northlandtackle.com/mimic-minnow

Anyone fished the mimic minnow with spinner much.  Had great success yesterday on weed line in shallows.  Picked one up and it out fished every other bait thrown.  Heading to rainy next weekend and looking for other artificials to take.  Not a big live bait fan.  From SC originally and moved back here last year.  First walleye season for me.

What's your favorite  artificials for eyes!

We had good luck with jigs and spinners for eyes during the day pulled through cabbage patches.  I'm sure the mini minnow version will work well for this.  Personally I pull a lot of gulp or impulse products on my spinner rigs.  Gulp crawler in particular work great on a crawler harness or slow death rig.

Fished an area lake this morning and got into some panfish. Caught a few Crappies that were between 11-13 and almost all the gills were 8.5 and over with some giants mixed in!

bigsunfish.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Fished Julia and Briggs for a couple hrs last night. Got a few  small eyes and lost something BIG after 10 second battle. Seen a few other boats pulling in eyes around 18-20 "

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hit Koronis over the weekend and found that the lake really had a big algae bloom.  Water is pretty green with lots of "stuff" floating on the surface.  Made trolling cranks a bit more difficult.  Water temp was 66-69 degrees and fishing was very slow for us.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was also on Koronis last weekend and found the same thing.   Never remember it being that green when I grew up there in the 80's.   Fishing was also slow.   Probably could thank all of the tourist recreational traffic for that.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched the DNR electro shock Lk. George today.  Lots of small crappie and gills nothing over 8".  They did get a few carp. Mostly small bass, under 10" from what I saw, I think they said one bass was about 18" and one walleye was 28". 

They said this lake doesn't net well because it drops off so fast so they wouldn't be doing that. 

Last week we took a group of kids (sportsman group) from church and one guy caught about a 7 lb catfish. 

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

Very cool. Never would have thought there wouls be a 28in walleye in there. Guess ot got big eating tiny panfish

Yeah jeremy there are still some eye's around. Bass ain't a challenge and panfish suck to clean. So real men chase walleye........ Oh and women do too, the wife gets in on the actionIMG_20160522_223344_01.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

real men can handle cleaning gills. ;);) lol  (and catching those grass carp) 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

edited_20160622_141318.jpgTook the 5 year old to Big Watab today to make sure the boat still runs after the "restoration" I just finished up. A few others out fishing in the 30-40 ft areas. We stuck to weed lines to get her some perch and other little stuff. I definitely got out fished being I didn't take any rods for me. It was all about her today.got a bunch of these all around 7.5 to 8...

Not sure how to flip the pic. Sorry.

• Thumbs Up 4

I guess all is a strong word. Still had the 2-5 inchers wasting worms and making her happy. 

• Thumbs Up 3

JC it ain't the same without your orange bucket in the photos

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/25/2016 at 11:10 AM, monstermoose78 said:

JC it ain't the same without your orange bucket in the photos

The orange bucket was too flashy.Folks on the river got jealous of its multi capability's. :PSeat,storage,measuring tool,camera stand and a half way filet board etc.lol;)

Nah.it was time to get a back pack.Frees up my hands when hiking or biking to fishing spots on the river:)

20160628_173410.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back on the hunt for big gills and what ever else would bite yesterday. Picked a small lake that I hoped would hold some respectable size fish. It didn't take us long to find smaller fish....lots of them...lol. pretty much everywhere we tried there were crappies smaller than 8in and tons of tiny sunfish. We tried the deep and shallow weedline, basin area, weedine transision areas and isolated hard bottom spots... small gills.  I could tell Andrea was starting to get frustrated with the size we were getting, so I made a quick decision....time to switch lakes :-(   

It was roughly 6pm when we got to lake no2...we had pretty much zero time to waste. I had been on this lake in the past so I had a good idea where the panfish would be. We worked over the sides of a shallow weed hump, using vexilars to pick of suspended pannies. Kinda like ice fishing. 

20160801_193951.jpg

20160801_184954.jpg

20160801_194703.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Fished the Chain for a bit yesterday. Decided to take to boat out for a spin..... Finding crappies in a few locations,  along the emergent weed edges, or suspended over the basin areas. The ones shallow were easy to target, throwing small jig/plastic to the weed edge and working it back to the boat slowly seemed to work well. 

The ones we found suspended were 8-12ft below the surface. We used the electronics to find pods of fish in an area then set anchor and slip bobbered them with jigs/tubes....live minnows likley would have worked better.

Around dusk we set up on a shallow main lake point. There are rocks and a few weeds on this point coming out into 12ft of water. We used slip bobbers and half crawlers. Sunfish, bass, a few walleyes and a whole bunch of catfish later we ran out of bait :-)

Water temp was 77-79 on most of the lake. 

• Thumbs Up 2