• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

O yeah. You were thinking of that spot straight east of the cemetary??? Just north of them two houses right off university and 52nd????

Brian & scoot

Thanks for the tips, this search for a few walleye's is becomming more and more difficult. Fun though, but difficult. If we fish tonight we will most likely try around the crick or the grate. Are time here in F/M area is comming to end shortly frown so i hope we can find a few "eyes"

Good luck!!! Hopefully you catch at least one of those ugly fat stinking red river walleyes!!! Down at the oxbow dam is normally a lot of fish but I couldnt find any there???

Try after dark. The best walleye bite has been from 8 PM to 2 AM.

Lots of nice eyes being caught, most in 4 to 7 feet on jigs with Gold/Oarnge and some glow. Bigger walleyes have came on Chubbys and Jigging Shads, same depths, or even shallower.

Bigger walleyes have came on Chubbys and Jigging Shads, same depths, or even shallower.

What size chubby's you been using.

I wanna head out on the ice if i get a chance this weekend or next. Can anyone point me to a safe place for my first outing on fargo ice?

Regarding size- go big or go home! Big profile baits work best for me.

There's lots of safe ice. My suggestion is to look at google earth and find locations that would likely hold fish in the Spring. Then work backwards for a mile or two and find sharp bends, which are usually associated with deeper water. Don't fish in the deeper water, but just off the head or tail of it in shallower (4-8) FOW. Most importantly, fish with a partner, bring ice picks, bring a rope, and use common sense. If the ice looks bad, don't go there. If it looks safe, go there with caution. If it was safe there yesterday, go there with caution. Stuff changes fast on the river, so be careful.

Thanks for the help!! Ive been on the red north of Grand Forks but never down here.

Are there any summer catfisher's here? I'm pretty pumped to get out there!!!

Fished last night in front of Rose creek. Fished from 5pm to 8pm. No bites, fished 6.5 FOW. On another note, thought we were going to need the extension, Lots of ice.

Brian.... If your fishing around that area would it be better going up stream to the bend or down stream some from there?

Scoot.... Yes its been a blast fishing new spots, it would be even more fun if we had more time to wonder around the river trying to find spots. I was wondering why you havn't fished the red yet this year, the ice has been really good every spot so far. Looking at the year, its probally the most ice on the river since 96-97. So if you say its bad ice this year, what years do you winter fish the red?

Ultra, the river started out with really crummy ice in Fargo. High fast water was the main culprit. However, like you said, things have changed a lot since then.

The biggest reasons why I don't get out and fish much locally are: 1) a 4 year old and an 18 month old, and 2) I gobble up so much time in the Fall bowhunting, muskie fishing, and chasing walleyes on the Red that I'm completely out of "points" at home by the time Jan gets here. Didn't used to be a problem before kids (see point #1 above), but sure is now. Too many things to do and not enough time...

I would say its the best right where the creek goes into the Red. You sure are having bad luck!!! lol It was pretty much dead water there, right???? Are you fishing after dark??? Have you tried dynamite yet??? Jezz, I wish I could help you out more.

Up stream at that spot is a long straight away so I wouldnt go that way. I cant remember whats down stream. There is a dam right off 32nd Ave in south Fargo. Ive ice fished there a few times and caught goldeneyes and maybe 3 walleyes. Kind of tuf to get there. I parked on a road that is a little downstream from the dam and walked out. I didnt like the ice there tho. I havent been there this year. Be carefull if you go there!!

I really think you should go down to Oxbow!!(hint, hint)

Good luck

Brian,

Have you been down by oxbow yet this year? How is the ice? Did good there last year but havnt ventured down that far this year? We fish about a mile and a half down from the dam how bout you? Good access last year from the snowmobilers but not this year! Been hanging out mostly where a river flows in from the south and doing pretty good. Tough getting there though!

Yup I fished Oxbow a couple weekends ago. Ice was great. Needed an extensions in a few spots. Fishing wasnt so hot though.

Have you been fishing where the Wild Rice goes into the Red. I wanna go there but its posted now.

Theres a lot of good spots just north of Oxbow. A lot of turns and timber!!

Ice might have changed now with that warm up so be safe!!!

It was posted up tight because guys/slobs trashed the place. Brought it on themselves, screwed it up for everyone.

Incidents like this makes a guy wonder if sharing spots in good faith is worth the effort, does it not?

I have stepped up and smoothed over landowner relations many times on the local rivers after such incidents, but I will no longer stake my name again for others to come in and trash the place and ruin the respect once gained.

I do not blaim the landowners and residents, who wants a trail of beer cans and urine stains on there driveways every morning? They could once look out there windows and see a clean river covered in ice, but now they see trash piles on the ice, not the scenery they are used to and love as long time residents wouldn't you think?

If it's posted thank those who brought it on as it was not at all due to the guys who have fished it for 20 years or even longer and had good relations with all the residents in the area.

Yeah its too bad that a few idiots make all of us look bad. What can you do though.

What we can do is Step Up...let them know we as sportsman/sportswoman do not except such behavior.

Live by example, clean up after ourselves, make a point to let others KNOW in no uncertain terms we will not allow this. Report littering, step up and file charges so they stick.

We cant make people clean up after themselves!!! If you see them dumping then you can do something about it.

I wonder if you call the sheriff or police about people littering and such if they will actually show up. Never made that call before. Have made other calls before when they told me they couldnt do anything about it. I know if you call and say you see someone underage drinking or someone doing drugs they show up in a heartbeat!!lol

Have you ever made the call about littering Ed?? Just wondering if someone showed up???

A couple weekends ago I caught a bunch of metal pieces that looked like plates??? Kind of weird that I caught 3 of them in the same hole. There was some type of fabricating place right there by the river. I wonder if they throw them down there???

The river gets worse every year. Only thing you can do is leave it cleaner after you leave then when you get there.

I have not seen anything on the ice or anyone littering when Ive been down there. Not saying its not happening though. It is tough to get there. I make alot of miles on the river to get there. I think that the people littering and giving us bad names are the people that dont even use the river to fish. Why go down and stand in the freezing cold and drink when you can do it in your nice warm garage at home??? I do plan on going out this weekend and fishing till 10 or so. Sounds like that is when they are starting to turn on eh ED?

Yes I have made "The Call" and yes they do show up...but they want to be darn sure you stick to your story as fact and show up to fallow it through in court if need be. If they think you will not stand to and show up, they don't bother writing it up.

Fines are not the answer, hours and hours of walking ditch's or river banks picking up trash is...or jail time, there choice..period. If there lazy and chose jail, well..suprise... get them out in orange coveys and pick up trash anyway...fit the crime to the punishment, they will not be as eager to dump trash in the future I guarantee it. Fines are too easily paid and lessons are lost.

Example:

I caught a guy tossing several 30 gal garbage bags full of trash over the river bank once, I fallowed him home, retuned and retreved his trash from the river bank, then returned to his home and tossed them into his front yard of his million dollar home..and rang the bell. The guy who dumped the bags answered and seen the bags in his yard, I told him he shouldn't litter the rivers. He said he would call the cops and have me in jail in a hour...I said..OK then..I'll wait right here for them....and once they arrive I'll explain the situation and they can check the contents of those bags of yours for themselves sir. He quickly backtracked on the call the cops and me in jail deal and decided to just call me names instead. I just told him to be responsible with his waist and not pollute our rivers, it will not be tolerated, and I left peacefully. I suspect he is less likely to do this again, maybe not, but if I see him, I'll be the one with the cops first he can count on that.

Don't assume inaction will accomplish anything, it will not go away. Step up, do the right thing, or who will?

Hey ended up going home to fish for a few days, it was nice to catch fish again.

Scoot, I didn't mean to offend you, sorry if i did. For the most part your not missing out on any of the walleye action on the red. If you feel like throwing a guy a better bone, (GPS cords of a hole maybe) [email protected]

Brian, yeah we fished right in front of the creek in 6.5 FOW, it was a very slow current. we drilled a few holes up in the creek, too shallow. I would like to try there again, but fish later into the night. We left shortly after 8pm.

Ed. The 7 times i have fished the red we have seen one empty case fo beer on the ice. (yes we picked it up and took it with us) It came from a group of snowcats. Im not saying all of the trash comes from them, but we all can pick up what we see & leave the area cleaner then when found it.

RiverRat. You using a snowcat to get where your fishing at by the Oxbow? Where are you getting onto the river at? or where can a guy get walk-in access pulling a portable at?

Scoot, I didn't mean to offend you, sorry if i did. For the most part your not missing out on any of the walleye action on the red. If you feel like throwing a guy a better bone, (GPS cords of a hole maybe)

Heck no- no offense taken. I didn't mean for my response to imply that I had been offended. It takes a lot more than that to offend me! It's been tough for me to get out as much as I'm used to with the rug rats at home now. But... in a few years, look out! I'll have a serious junior river rat at my side with me!!!

anyone else pounding the fish? i really hate to say that and attract all of the crazy river 'eye chasers, but seriously my group and i have had no trouble finding em...sure there has been the slower nites but never skunked...of course i can't tell ya where i've ben fishin, but i was just wondering if it has just been one of those years for everyone...i got to land an 11.5 and catch a 6 pounder within 10 min of one another one nite and saw another fellas 13 the week before...hopefully this March will bring in the real big guys,, say.....35"'s or so?? smile i hope!! good luck fishin

I have iced a few over #10 locally this winter, the best is yet to come. Lots of 18" to 23" eyes.

You just need to explore. All the tips are on here in these forums for sure, no big secrets or top secret locations...just work the Red in a logical seasonal pattern and they will show up.

Yea, i like to think that the closer i can get to canada the better my luck will be...but the red holds fish everywhere...this is true ED about no secrets or gimmics..the fish are out there and they could be right around the bend and all you have to do is give it a shot...I forgot to mention..we have had the best of luck in around 10 fow but all depths have produced...a whistler jig (prop jig?) has done us the best by far...all colors but we've tried using the larger sizes with the biggest chubs that we can find...i've found a new spot as of last nite and ima give it a go tonite so hopefully at this time tomorrow i'll have something taking most of my freezer space up wink