• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Rainy Lake Fishing Reports & Conditions

Thanks for all the great posts. This may not be the right thread, but I'm seeking advice on Rainy Lake fishing and lodging for mid to late May. Have been going to Kenora Canada for 20 years, but finally had it with rogue border agents making up rules as they go. One member of our group was given third degree over a 40 year old underage drinking violation!

Anyway, it appears Rainy is a great destination for walleye, sm. bass and crappie. Correct? Any suggestions on a good area / lodge to go to. We'll have 8 or so guys (40-55 yrs old), looking for a decent sized cabin, not a sardine box. American plan not necessary, but taverns close by a plus. Also prefer a resort that doesn't market too heavily to children. Any input is much appreciated!

click on the blue box on the top of the page....everything you are asking for can be found there....even a private island, that would make travel to the bar harder though smile

Hey Dirkinator... I would highly suggest going with Woody's Rainy Lake Resort. Woody and His wife Leeann will do everything in their power to put you on fish and make sure you have a great time. Nice lodging, bar 15 feet away from your condo. Everything is right on the water. Good Luck.

Plus 2 on Woody's. AWESOME place to stay. Been there four times this year and counting. Can't stay away.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

That should be a great time of year for all those species plus big pike as well. I would also recommend Woody. He will point you in the right direction.

Hi Dirk,

Welcome to the Rainy Lake site. Woody is a great choice, knows & understands the lake...and he if he does guide you, I can assure you, there will not be a dull moment. As far as the dui problem crossing into Canada, I know its a huge problem with the Canadian resorters. I know of one, the largest operator on Rainy business is down over 50%. I have been told they are attempting to change a couple things like the dui issue & Americans only allowed 1 walleye on the Canadian side of Rainy., both have caused the Canadian resorters to lose millions and that is a direct quote from his mouth.

Sincerely,

Fishmeister

• 3 weeks later...

You guys making ice up there yet? I checked out the 2 week forecast and it's looking pretty good for ice making weather. I want to get out there early and often!!

The extended forecast looks GREAT for ice making weather up in those parts! several days in the single digits and low teens. I might be running up there to do some early ice fishing if you guys get ice up there way before we do down in the metro

Hi J.W.,

Normally we are fishing around Dec. 10th & that 1st ice can be awesome fishing!!!

Sincerely,

Fishmeister

thats good to hear. if a guy was coming from the south (meaning the cities) what city would you recommend going to to fish out of? when i spend my time that far north, it is usually at rainy/LOTW but i would like to get over east more and check out rainy... any recommendations? my main thought process would tell me to head to i falls and start there.. maybe head more east

Definitely International Falls, go east down 11 and pick a spot, you'll pass by some bays and points that are popular, eventually 11 comes to a dead end at the Visitor Center where you can fish right there or continue out on the ice road if they have one. Or from there it's snowmachine time!!

Get a hold of Woody. He will point you in the best direction for the time you will be there. Highly suggest staying with him at the resort. EXCELLENT accomodations. Plus he is right on the lake. Would also look at the falls motel. Very fisherman friendly. Kelly is an awesome guy and fishes all the time. He will also point you in the right direction. 2 awesome guys to talk to and VERY helpful. Also if Fishmeister gives you some spots to try i would do what he says. I don't know if anyone knows the lake and bite as good as he does as he fishes basically every day. I have had the pleasure of meeting all three of them and fished with Woody and Fishmeister. Gotta say those trips have been the highlights of my fishing adventures to date. Always good info and always willing to help. Class act Guy's and VERY knowledgeable about the lake and the area. Stop in at Hardees for a hot meal when you get up there and pick fishmeisters brain a little bit before you head out. Can't go wrong. Good luck

Hi Griz,

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy helping folks with questions both on fishing mn. & when they come into Hardee's. Folks like honest info. & treating them good.

As far as Kelly, I have gotten to know him thru the I.Falls Bass Tourney & fellow fisherman on Rainy, and I have heard nothing but positive things about Falls Motel.

As far as Woody, he has excellent accomodations & knows the lake very well, and he has been featured in more magazines then Sara Palin. Both are good sticks & understand where & how to fish Rainy.

Sincerely,

Fishmeister

Kelly is definitely a cool guy, I've been staying at the Falls Motel for a few years now. I've even stopped into Hardee's a couple times to get some burgers and talk to fishmeister but I missed him both times!! Nicest Hardee's I've been in and the food was great.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading up there a couple day's after Christmas this year, stayed at the Falls last year and had an excellent stay. Kelly was a super guy and helped us out a lot. This season we're staying with Woody should be an excellent trip. Also was up earlier this fall and of the 3 days we were there we ate at the Hardee's 3 times, by far the best fast food I've ever eaten, and the best looking one at that. Thanks for such a nice establishment fishmeister. Keep the reports coming and have a great Christmas

Yes, fishmeister's Hardee's is the cleanest Hardee's of any other franchise place I have been too.

Then there is the food and that also was warm, very fresh and tastiest food I have enjoyed from a fast food restraunt ever.

If you stop by and Dave "fishmeister is around, I am sure if he is not to busy, he would send you out to some fishy spots.

Happy Holidays Dave and I hope to see you before the tip up pike fishing again this next spring. The of course the Memorial weekend trip with Craig and Melanie and this year, 3 others.

Some time in the near future I have to also make a trip to the Fall's Motel in International Falls with Kelly as I had heard of nothing but the best about both the motel and Kelly.

I made 4 trips to Woody's last winter and summer and had a blast with some great fishing and my largest pike and 2nd largest pike also.

• 2 weeks later...

I will have to do a trip to woodys this year. Do you recommend a snowmobile and a portable for the trip? Rick from Rockford , Mn.

Yes i would recommend it. You can drive out onto the ice road (if its safe for driving) and park on the side and take short rides out to numerous reefs and other spots. Highly suggest a lake map or GPS with lake chip to get you on the good spots. Woody will sit down with you and point out all the spots to try. Bring a good paper map or buy one from woody when you get there. It is really nice being able to park out on the ice and unload the sled and porty instead of Long rides to fishing spots. If you break down you will be within walking distance to your vehicle which is a lot safer if you only have one sled. Never had an issue parking on the road and leaving the truck. Best way to catch fish on Rainy in my opinion as you will have so many areas to try and the best part is you can have them all to yourself. Woody will do is best to see that you get on top of fish. It will be up to you to make them bite and catch them. grin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi F.Mers,

Yesterday was maybe the best bite I ever saw on the ice in the last 5 winters on Rainy. I was fishing 15 foot of water, started fishing at 3:00, 1 line, 1/8 oz. white glow (red eyes) with a shinner. From 3pm to 3:45, I saw 2 marks, then the fun begin, a nice 14", followed by a 16, 16 1/2, & 16" in a row. A limit you would admire in the summer, I contined to fish till 5pm., it was crazy, not 1 slot fish, but one fish after another from 13 to 17". I do a fishing show with the local radio station fm 104 station (aires 7:30am Fridays), I told Jerry I didn't have alot good fishing to report as I had went up to Nestor Falls crappie fishing & all the crappies were on the bottom and when you see that, they aren't active, worked 20 holes for 6 hours to produce 7 crappies, I also fished a reef on Rainy with a buddy in 38 feet Saturday afternoon & we saw lots of fish but only had 2 nice walleyes & 2 saugers, so that was slow, but then last night...BINGO. I actually had planned on fishing some buried trees, but saw some slush, so I went to plan B...who says a plan B can't work out, pretty sure it would have outdone plan A. Have I told you lately how much I love RAINY!!!

Sincerely,

Fishmeister

You surely are in Gods Country my man. We have to hook up here some time soon and hit the ice for a day or two.

Hi Big T,

Not sure what your looking for??? This is last week.

Hi F.Mers,

Yesterday was maybe the best bite I ever saw on the ice in the last 5 winters on Rainy. I was fishing 15 foot of water, started fishing at 3:00, 1 line, 1/8 oz. white glow (red eyes) with a shinner. From 3pm to 3:45, I saw 2 marks, then the fun begin, a nice 14", followed by a 16, 16 1/2, & 16" in a row. A limit you would admire in the summer, I contined to fish till 5pm., it was crazy, not 1 slot fish, but one fish after another from 13 to 17". I do a fishing show with the local radio station fm 104 station (aires 7:30am Fridays), I told Jerry I didn't have alot good fishing to report as I had went up to Nestor Falls crappie fishing & all the crappies were on the bottom and when you see that, they aren't active, worked 20 holes for 6 hours to produce 7 crappies, I also fished a reef on Rainy with a buddy in 38 feet Saturday afternoon & we saw lots of fish but only had 2 nice walleyes & 2 saugers, so that was slow, but then last night...BINGO. I actually had planned on fishing some buried trees, but saw some slush, so I went to plan B...who says a plan B can't work out, pretty sure it would have outdone plan A. Have I told you lately how much I love RAINY!!!

Sincerely,

Fishmeister

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you love visiting Int'l Falls & Rainy Lake...You should try living here...nothing short of AWESOME!!!

Hey Fishmeister, I saw your report. As always i love reading your reports good or bad (not to many bad ones lol) but i love to hear from some of the other locals or guys that come up for a trip. Lots of people ask for help including myself but then you never hear how they did. Just trying to get some people to chime in on how they are doing. Keep up the good work Dave! I'll be in for breakfast when i come up the end of the month, hope to finally meet you! Big T

Finally getting around to posting about our trip.

Just getting out of town last Thursday was a battle. Between truck and sled troubles and reloading gear we didn't get up to Rainy and fishing till late Thursday afernoon.

We stopped in and saw Dave Friday morning. He pointed us in the right direction. He knew my buddy's dad! Small world! And the Frisco sandwiches got rave reviews. We caught some fish where Dave sent us. It was really nice of him to give some total strangers some good info. And Thanks again BTW!

We fished some other areas of the lake around Grassy and as far east as Cranberry. We caught fish from 10' out to 45'. Not a lot of numbers but quite a few fish in the 21"-24" range. No big pike this trip. Ice ranged from 8" to 15.5" with a lot of variablity on any given structure we were fishing.

The running on the lake was pretty good. There was some slush but not too bad. We had snowmobiles and otters.

And a new personal best!! This was my first trip to Rainy(10th annual trip) where I didn't break any equipment grin

All in all a great trip. Fishing with 7 of my best friends on Rainy...catching some fish is icing on the cake!

And a new personal best!! This was my first trip to Rainy(10th annual trip) where I didn't break any equipment grin

Now that is quite the accomplishment!! Rainy lake will eat your equipment and spit it out. Everything from snowmobiles to Mr. Heaters.

Was the slush bad enough to get stuck in or did you make it through pretty easy? How about setting up on your spots to fish, could you pretty much fish where ever you wanted or did the slush make you pick and choose?

Thanks for the report sounds fun!

I agree! Rainy is always hard on gear. Last year it was a fishing rod, Mr Heater, measuring trough and 2 new "vents" in my canvas.

We didn't end up getting stuck but there were some spots that if you weren't paying attention it could have happened. There were some spots that we checked and didn't fish because of slush. A couple of us would drop our otters and make a run out to where we wanted to fish to check for slush before pulling the houses out there.

Where ever we drilled holes water would come up and make it kind of sloppy. One guy that had steel skis on his snowmobile would get bogged down when he was leaving a spot because they would freeze down, nothing major though. The sled I was using had plastic skis and an 1.25" track so I didn't have any problems.

As long as you can keep your speed up you should be good to go.

• The title was changed to September Walleye Fishing - Rainy Lake, MN