• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Park Rapids area Fishing Reports

I was up last week and it was kind of slow. I could not find waldo. I fished Leech, Upper Bottle, Crow Wing 6, Fish Hook, Little Sand, Blue, and of course Potato. Kevin at Delaney's said he had yet to here a good report from Potato this year.

The northern bite was definitely on. I fished mostly jigs with shiners or fatheads and some spot tails. Very little lindy rigging. Got a few perch on Leech and kept a few northerns at Upper Bottle for the fridge. Bumped into a gentleman on Upper Bottle who had released a 26" walleye he got in 8 feet of water. I was fishing 15' to 8' of water, mostly 10-12'. Reports of folks who had success with the walleyes this year said this was the correct depth, near dusk hours. Everyone at the time agreed that the walleye bite would explode very soon.

Northerns were going on CW 6 and little sand big time. Ocasionally got bit off, but had some fun with them. I'm sure folks are cleaning up on bass right now though too. Best wishes to everyone. I should be back up at the end of the month for another round.

Basically the same report here. We fished Eagle and a little bit on Island over the Memorial wknd and the fishing was slow. We've been going to Eagle Bay resort on Memorial wknd for the past 9 years and this was the worst fishing that I can recall. We managed a few walleyes, plenty of small Northerns, and could not find the crappies. Water temp on both lakes was 57+ or - and very high.

Nels

High water everywhere! I have never seen so many full duck sloughs since the 1950's. I am havng a hard time finding the waldos but have been practicing my trap shooting in anticipation of a bumber crop of waterfowl this fall!

Great news then since I'll be up on Potatoe for a few days the last week of June..Fish should be going! : )

Hard to believe that leech was slow. I have heard only great reports from there so far this year...

In regards to Leech that was only my second time on that lake and the earliest I had been out there, so put that one on me. It sounds like other folks are doing fairly well there. Fished CW6 a lot, the others a little. Sounds like a PR is finally getting a little warmer weather going. Told that should get it going in the next few days. Best to all.

• 3 weeks later...

We finally caught a few walleyes up on 11th Crow Wing, this pair using leeches. Plenty of action for panfish, bass, and nort's but no walleyes till this weekend. It's been kind of a weird year, and for whatever reason I do better when we have really warm springs/hot summers. Anyway, nice to get the monkey off my back. My 7 year old caught the larger walleye on a slip bobber so that was fun to see.

Walleyes for Fathers Day. And another Twins win. Nice Day smile

full-5554-9676-spring2011071.jpg

full-5554-9677-spring2011078.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the last couple days up on Potatoe, Sunnies and bass were biting mostly on plain jig head and medium leeches.

I was just up there for the last couple of weeks and had a great time. The weather started off kind of sketchy, but wound up being decent after 2 straight days of rain. Really glad I was able to take 2 weeks off from work instead of my usual one week.

We really had to work for our walleyes this year but finally did get some going once the weather got going. I guess the biggest difference this year was there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what the walleyes were biting on. All I've really fished in mid to late June was Lindy rigs with leeches or crawlwers. This year Shiners, red tails, and rainbows were still taking fish. I guess creek chubs were popular too. The very last walleye I caught was on a jig and rainbow on Fishook. The guide board at Delaney's said 12-22' deep, and found most of ours around there. Every time it rained it seemed like the bite turned off for a day or two. I always thought it was supposted to pick up around when it rained?

If anyone that lives on Little Sand reads this I wish every lake in the area looked as good as Little Sand. I guess the residents on the lake planted some extra natural vegatation in the water. Whatever they did was on the money cause that lake was like crystal. Not very good with the walleyes that day, but none the less an absolutely gorgeous lake.

Hoepfully back up for some late fall fishing. Best to all.

• 2 months later...

Apparantly nobody has been fishing in the Park Rapids area, so I'll give my recent report.

We finally made it up to the cabin on Eagle over Labor Day wknd. Lots of people out fishing on Friday evening and Sat due to the holiday and the fact that there is 3 resorts on Eagle L.

On Friday evening we managed to pick up enough Crappies and Sunnies for a fish fry. I did hear that one of my neighbors caught and released a 25" walleye using a jig and minnow.

Sat we focused on Bass and although fishing was slow we did end up with a couple over 19", mostly on spinnerbaits. Lots of little hammerhandles. mad Unfortunately we couldn't make it up to Island or down to Potato because the water level was too low and I couldn't get my boat thru the channels.

Sunday we went out for a little bit in the morning, but it was so dang cold and the bite was basically nonexistant, so we went golfing.

We did get out a little on Monday morning for bass again, but nothing, with the exception of a few small northerns.

Nels

Pretty solid pike bite on 10th and 11th Crow Wing on Thurs/Friday. Some medium to larger sized ones too. A few small to medium sized perch grabbing my crawlers off the spinning harness.

Then it got cold on Saturday/Sunday and we caught very few fish. Fished Belle Taine on Saturday and all we could manage were two very small pike.

No walters, although I think this weekend looks to be a perfect setup for walleye full moon crankin'. Very stable weather pattern. Trying to convince my wife to head north again.

Water temps in the area were 69-73 depending on lake and time of day.

• 3 weeks later...

Full moon bite for walters trolling was excellent. Even got a few hits on this new moon cycle a few days ago (how do they do that?)

Anyways, water temps dropped from 71 on Sept 10th to 59.5 on Sept 24th. Looks like some warmer weather with sunny days, so look for those temps to hold for awhile before they drop again.

Someone else must have some fishing reports in the area. Lets hear em.

• 3 weeks later...

We were just up for the week of Oct 8-15th. Water temps were in the 58-60 range. We fished a couple of area lakes that included Portage, Fish Hook, and Leech. We ended up throwing a lot of fish back as they all seemed to be small. Most of our walleyes were in the 12-13" range. Northerns were good length but all seemed skinny to me. Fished primarily lindy rigs with red tails in the 18'-25' depth range on fish hook. Talked to a couple of guys getting off of leech and they said the caught over 100 perch but threw them all back but 13 as they were all pretty small. Would've like to gotten out more but the wind and rain were factors that week. Hopefully stop up in the winter on my way to LOTW, but I've been telling myself that the last couple of years.

• 1 month later...

Nothern Pike putting on the feed bag!!! Went out last friday on Potatoe Lake (Teah had to crack some ice to get the boat out) and hammered the pike. Nothing very large but we sure caught (and released) plenty of fish! We lost count at at 15 and had a blast!

• 1 month later...

Anybody been out? Not looking for your secret spot, but a good report on ice conditions and any general success stories would be awesome!

there is about 16" of ice on the lake i was on and very little snow cover and no slush. we did good on walleyes and my girlfriend caught a 28" walleye. we use fat heads, shinners, suckers and rainbows with glowing plain hooks and glow deamons.

The Demons are awesome aren't they? Those are one of my favorite lures! What depths were you finding the 'eyes in? A 28" Eye is definitey impressive, Congrats to her!

Just got back from 3 1/2 weeks in Park Rapids. Enjoyed my final Winter Break from college.

Panfish were biting pretty well in 16-21 FOW.

full-26888-16272-crappiepic.jpg

Walleyes were slower but caught some in 23 FOW and 15 FOW on two different lakes.

Ice is in great shape. Not much snow cover, 14-16" of ice were the norm. Have fun and get after 'em!

got back yesterday, crapps and gills were biting good, caught the crapps in 32' nice eaters 10-11" avg, did get a 13 and a 14, both are still swimming, the gills we got in 12-14'; tried pike fishing tip ups with no success and jigged for walleyes early morning and evening with limited success. caught the crapps sunrise to the time we left, about 14" of ice on teh lakes we were on full size trucks on the lakes also

fishing in the park rapids area has been pretty darn good this winter try potato and fishhook for walleye and northern if panfish are what you are after look to portage or fish hook. just be willing to move until you find them.

Was out on portage earlier this year and would catch a small eye or two and a couple crappies every night along with a few hammer handles. Didn't have a chance to move around much but I went off from the big group off of the main access to the east. Crappie minnows worked for everything.

I am hoping to get out and try a lake I've only fished once and that was a few years ago. Hopefully I'll have something good to report come Monday.

Plenty of ice on Fish hook fished about 20 fow and caught a couple small eyes with more than a few pesky perch.

Tried a little lake called Nagel on Sunday. Not much luck, we caught a few small slimes on tip ups and decided to make a move to another lake. Luckily a buddy was along that had access to 7th crow wing so we ended the evening catching a few crappies.

Not sure what would of happened if we stayed till dark on Nagel but we drilled a lot of holes and couldn't even find any panfish. Maybe I'll give it another shot later in the season.

Spent all day Sunday on FishHook and ended up with 3 small northerns, 2 walleyes (13" & 14"). Not the best catch but didn't get skunked!

• 2 weeks later...

Was out on first crow wing this weekend and had some decent luck. Ice was good and we drilled a bunch of holes. We were able sort through some gills and crappies to bring home a decent catch. Small jig and a couple euro larvae worked best for me. Had to hole hop a little to keep active but it was a beautiful day, wish we would have stayed until dark.

Yeah the weather was just awesome this weekend for fishing I did well on a lake between DL and park rapids, Found a ton of quality gils and some decent crappies.

Nice report Fathom

I made a day trip to Park Rapids today. My father's sister passed away on the first, her funeral was today at St. John's.

I was asking about for fishing reports, but there isn't much to report.

My younger cousins (20's) have been out, and were catching some walleyes and crappies, but they've dropped off.

My older cousins (40's-50's) haven't been out all season due to work.

My other relatives that live on lakes east of town said the same as my younger cousins.

Things were going really good a couple of weeks ago, but have seemed to slow for a while.