• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Joe

A lot of great fishing reports and lake conditions follow.

Enjoy.

full-2-27503-ottertail.jpg

Please be sure to share your reports and give a little back to this thread if you are reading this fishing report.

Gissert

With the heavy snow from the last six weeks, it has curtailed a lot of the activity that is normally seen.

The lakes are beginning to heal up a bit, but there is still a lot of slush in spots. Use caution going off the beaten path.

jerkin'm

Ditto Gissert's reply...fished a couple days over the last few weeks..LOTS of water as soon as you drill holes and plenty of slush pockets..Can't imagine having a permanent shack out around the area...fishing was not very good either..

windowmate

We have been out on Rush every weekend and it has been slow. We get fish but not like we did early in the season. Crappies as of lately have even been picky. Have not done much morning or late night fishing any suggestions if I'm wasting my time on either.

tacklebox7FF

well.. I don't know how people are doing on panfish, but we did pretty good two weeks ago.. last weekend wasn't worth a darn.. i think it was the colder weather.. it should heat up this weekend again I would think!

Ruegs23

Lot's of light biters last week. I was running the line over my finger to detect any bites. Even then I would not feel all the bites. A few times I would just lift up because the fish on my vexilar was all over my bait and the fish would be on!

jimmygrip

Spent most of Saturday on Ottertail, Had trouble finding fish and only ended up with 5 decent perch in 14 foot depth. They were biting when I could locate them but they seemed to be few and far between. Lots of houses removed from the lake. Not bad getting around on a snowmobile.

JIMMYGRIP

Catfish_Nuggets

Same story for me on OT. I located some fish but they just were not biting and when they were they were so small that they were stealing the minnow head. I tried many different depths, etc. It was frustrating dealing with the wind too....overall, pretty disgusted with it.

Trapper4

Fished most of Sunday on Rush Lake. My first Hot spot, a good panfish spot in Dec., produced zilch for sunnies (a couple bits) and one pike. Next, fished among the crowd on the East side and hooked into several very small sunfish. Third spot, found some crappie and sunfish in 17 fow on a sharp break. They were really finicky with a lot of pop and stop bites. Only caught 3 of each between 4 & 6PM, but they were nice size. All on waxies. Minnows produced no bits. It pays to keep moving and it was a great day weather wise.

Mr. Wizard

We're coming up this weekend to Rush. What are the conditions on the lake after the last couple days weather? Snowmobile travel? Anyone been on the trails to NYM and OT, Maplewood, Smokey Hills, Itasca.

tacklebox7FF

haven't been to rush this year yet..sorry

fishyslayer

Anyone want to provide some info on what the best access to go out of on Otter? Any hints on where some good fishing is for some decent size perch on this lake? South, North, West, East side?

firefish_12

is Ottertail open yet--I'd like to bring the boat and try for some perchies??---does anyone have any info on this??

Thanks

FF

firefish_12

fishslayer--I heard the sand flats on the west side are a good starting point--but I may be wrong as I've never tried this just heard second hand. I'd like to give it a whirl --when are you headed up there??

Gissert

Not open yet. Shore ice is just beginning to melt.

carpmanjake

if anyone catches a BIG smallie, around the orwell dam with a lucky craft live pointer in its mouth. i would like it back. lol

carpmanjake

orwell 2nd trip

8 species

walleye (caught alot of them like this, lost a few in the 2-3lb range, lindy rigs and leeches were the trick)

101_0900.jpg

small mouth

101_0893.jpg

101_0898.jpg

this runt bit more than he could chew. LOL

101_0894.jpg

i also had a monster smallie break my line, she took a lucky craft live pointer. i would guess her to be at least 4 lbs from how she looked. it was starting to get dark. but she was huge

bluegill

101_0899.jpg

gold eye

101_0895.jpg

drum

101_0896.jpg

shorthead

101_0897.jpg

channel cat

101_0902.jpg

silver

101_0901.jpg

seen alot of carp up shallow, but once i got out my fly rod, i couldnt find any of em.

also found a nice pike up close to the dam. i tossed a 3" gulp shiner and her, and she would go crazy for it when it hit the water. very aggressive for sure. hooked her, but her teeth cut through my line with ease (only 6lb test, UL gear)

Abudrag

I'm heading up to Ottertail Lake next week. Anybody willing to share some tips as to what type of bait, presentation, location and depth? Any information would be much appreciated.

GRAND DAD

I think am going to be fishing it this weekend If I find any thing useful all pass it on.

slammer

I know some of the tourny boats last weekend did good with shiners yet. Myself, I had good luck with a crawler and lindy rig on Tues. eve. in 15-25 fow.

fishcanoe

The Gils and Bass were biting well in the shallows last weekend on Silver. We picked up a few "true" 17" bass. In another lake I had a musky grab a 17" walleye - that was exciting. I went back with an 8" soft bait, but never saw the ski' again. I tried trolling cranks for walleye's, drifting with a lindy rig and some vertical jigging on Silver but no walleye bites at all

ottertailguy

We were up this past week on O.T. and our best luck was on a deep hump that came up to 30 feet on leeches. It was very sunny with little wind but once we found them we worked that area very slow.

carpmanjake

anyone get my live pointer back yet? lol

SpitnArgueDuckClub*

Holy moly, I just looked up the "live pointer" lures and at $20.00 a piece you might try offering some kind of reward.

carpmanjake

ya. they are expensive lol.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      The sweltering heat, high humidity values, and intermittent thunderstorms have certainly provided some challenges for anglers but even as we enter the dogdays of summer the fish are still on the chow!
      As we all know there is never any shortage of action when one sets out to target Bass. Smallmouth Bass can be found along the deep weed lines, rocks, and sunken humps. Try using a Drop-Shot Rig tipped with a Leech. Largemouth on the other hand can be found working the weeds inside and outside the lines using Tubes, Spinner Baits, and Carolina Rigs. In the early morning, try working docks, shoreline structure and swimming platforms next to sharp drop-offs.
      Of course, usually by this time of year we have shifted our focus to chasing Large Slab Crappies. The weed beds are holding large numbers of both Crappies and Sunfish. Pay especially close attention to the cabbage along deeper drop-offs. Slip-Bobbers using live bait or plastics, Small Swim Baits, Spinners, Beetle Spins are all working well, these buggers have been hungry!!
      The Walleye bite is also one that has yet to relinquish to the torrid, humid conditions. A lot of techniques have still been producing good numbers of fish. Anything from pulling Spinners in the weeds, Lindy Rigs, Slip-Bobbers, jigs tipped with Leeches, Crawlers or Chubs… Cranks, Shiver Minnows and the list goes on!! It really is Dealer’s Choice it seems, trolling Cranks on the mid-lake flats has been best toward the evening hours until after dark, Spinners have been enticing them during the mid-day, as well as jigging raps for the walleye found out over the deep structure.
      -Cheers!
      Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525

• Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      The sweltering heat, high humidity values, and intermittent thunderstorms have certainly provided some challenges for anglers but even as we enter the dogdays of summer the fish are still on the chow!
      As we all know there is never any shortage of action when one sets out to target Bass. Smallmouth Bass can be found along the deep weed lines, rocks, and sunken humps. Try using a Drop-Shot Rig tipped with a Leech. Largemouth on the other hand can be found working the weeds inside and outside the lines using Tubes, Spinner Baits, and Carolina Rigs. In the early morning, try working docks, shoreline structure and swimming platforms next to sharp drop-offs.
      Of course, usually by this time of year we have shifted our focus to chasing Large Slab Crappies. The weed beds are holding large numbers of both Crappies and Sunfish. Pay especially close attention to the cabbage along deeper drop-offs. Slip-Bobbers using live bait or plastics, Small Swim Baits, Spinners, Beetle Spins are all working well, these buggers have been hungry!!
      The Walleye bite is also one that has yet to relinquish to the torrid, humid conditions. A lot of techniques have still been producing good numbers of fish. Anything from pulling Spinners in the weeds, Lindy Rigs, Slip-Bobbers, jigs tipped with Leeches, Crawlers or Chubs… Cranks, Shiver Minnows and the list goes on!! It really is Dealer’s Choice it seems, trolling Cranks on the mid-lake flats has been best toward the evening hours until after dark, Spinners have been enticing them during the mid-day, as well as jigging raps for the walleye found out over the deep structure.
      -Cheers!
      Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

Water temps in the Northwest Angle are varying between 55 degrees and 59 in shallower areas.

In Minnesota, the bite has been very good. Big fish have been caught trolling crank baits in less than 15 feet of water. Keeper size walleye are being found in 18-22 feet with orange and parakeet jigs and a minnow being the most preferred combo. We saw multiple fish over 28 inches this week!

The fish in Canada have been smacking pink and white, and parakeet jigs tipped with a shiner or minnow in 22-26 feet of water.  Aggressiveness has picked up with the rising temperatures. Anglers are reporting a good number of multi specie catches including crappie, perch, walleye, sauger, bass and pike.

Open water season is just getting started and will only improve! 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Up here in the Northwest Angle lines are tight and fish are biting! Water temps are warmer in the shallows at 50-52 degrees to upper 40’s in the main lake.

Recent weather was not great but the fishing was. Some of the best action has been within a few miles of the lodge. Walleyes have been found anywhere from 3 to 30ft. 22-30ft with a jig and minnow is best during daylight hours. 

Multiple trophy walleye were caught this week including a couple 28’s and one 31 inch.  The bite off of the dock late evening is really heating up and will produce limits.

Come up soon to take advantage of great spring fishing! 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      We're still OPEN & fishing up at the NW Angle!
      Fishing on the Minnesota side continues to be best early morning and from sundown to dusk. Work deeper edges of the break line in the morning and afternoon, moving up to the flats and points for an evening flurry. With low pressure coming for the weekend expect fishing to be excellent.
      On the Ontario side, Crappie action was really good this past weekend in 30+ feet of water. Lots of fish over 14."
      Lake conditions have drastically improved as water making slush has receded below the ice or has frozen over in most areas. Caution should be used in areas of high current or between islands. 
      Hard water fishing ends April 15th!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Areas of slush on trails in Minnesota are refreezing overnight and are still in good condition if well-traveled.  Walleye action is getting better every day, with mornings and late evening being best.  Rippin’ raps and buckshots are enticing violent strikes; 18-22 ft of water is key. Big northern pike are hitting jiggin’ spoons and tip ups with large baits.

Anglers venturing into Canada continue to find schooled Crappies and big walleye deeper into 30+ feet. A slow presentation is most effective for catching crappies. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing is really starting to pick up, which usually means Spring is on the way! 

Fishing on the Minnesota side has been best at first and last light, which can make for long days on the ice this time of year.  The Sauger bite has really picked up with a lot good sized eaters coming out of 21-25 ft. The most effective colors for both Walleye and Sauger have been Chartreuse, White, any Glow/lighted/UV (specifically red) and hammered gold. When fishing at depths less than 20 feet, keep an active presentation. Northerns tend to be most active in the early afternoon which is a good time to take a break from jigging and put out a tip-up.

Fishing on the Canadian side has been good since the last snow storm and continues to produce Crappie and Walleye. A light setup for crappies with plastics or larvae has been productive.  

Slush is still frozen in well-traveled areas but it plentiful off trail.  

Fishing will continue to improve as the weather does, there is still a lot of time to fit in a last minute ice fishing trip!!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota Walleye can be found in 19-23ft early and late in the day.  Rattle baits will call these actively feeding fish to the hole.  Midday action is best adjacent to the break line at 25-29ft.  These fish are preferring a more subtle presentation such as a minnow and plain hook or a spoon with a whole minnow on a dead-stick.  It remains important to constantly re-charge glow baits to keep them productive in the deeper water. 

In Canada, walleye and crappie fishing is good in typical spots. Travel can become difficult in slushy areas, solo travel is not advised. Try to run on previous tracks laid as areas of slush will have frozen over night where machines have packed the trail.  We are no longer running day houses on the Canadian side, however now is your chance to bring snowmobiles, hire a local guide and limit out on the hot March bite! 

We are still offering 50% off mid-week lodging through March! (Sun-Wed nights)

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye are being caught at a variety of depths with 24-27’ being the most consistent. Glow red with gold has been a hot combo this week. Rattle baits continue to draw active fish to our houses. Sauger activity has been very strong, providing Anglers the opportunity for full limits before new regulations take effect on March 1st. New limit regulations give a combination of six walleye/sauger with no more than 4 walleye. The slot of 19.5”-28 must be immediately release with one walleye over 28’ to be allowed in possession.

Canadian crappies are still filling buckets and freezers, they can be found near the bottom in 32-35ft. Super light tackle and willingness to keep trying different jig combinations is producing the most fish.  Many tulibee are being seen this week, which make for a tasty treat out of the smoker.  Walleye fishing continues to be very good in traditional areas, depth at 23-28ft. 

Snow depth in our areas is between 2 and 2.5 ft. Trails are in great condition after last weeks snow and wind conditions. 

Until next week, 
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rick
      State’s busiest park has been closed for six months The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is reopening Fort Snelling State Park today, Sept. 17, after persistent spring flooding caused extensive damage that forced the park to close in March.  “We know how eager people have been to get back out to the park, so we’re really excited to finally be reopening,” said Fort Snelling State Park assistant supervisor Nick Bartels. “We still have a lot of work left to do and some parts of the park will remain closed until that work can be completed, but our goal has always been to reopen the park as soon as safely possible.” Flooding damaged the park’s main roads, facilities and water supply lines, downed trees, and washed out hiking trails throughout the park. As clean up and repairs continue, including silt removal and facility repairs, park operations are returning to normal. “Come out this weekend to enjoy a picnic, take a hike, or attend a fun naturalist program,” said Bartels. “Just remember to check our website or call our park office for up-to-date information.” Located at the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers within the heart of the Twin Cities metropolitan area, Fort Snelling State Park averages nearly one million visitors every year and is a popular destination for hikers, bikers, birders and school groups. Visitors can go to the Fort Snelling State Park page for more information. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Best tip I can give you...find a different lake to fish! Como is an oversized mud puddle. You might catch a couple fish in the winter when the water doesn’t look like  green slime.
    • Quincy
      Steve Ahlers [email protected] (218) 729-0384 • Work Architectural Metals   I had Steve put a standing seam galvanized metal roof on my cabin in 2004..I think.  It still looks great.  Will outlive me most likely.   He lives in Duluth but was more than willing to come up to V to put the roof on.   Its been a while but worth a try.
    • CaptJohnWis
      Got about 20 nice bass today. Most on TRD lure and Ned head. Also a pike and a walleye. Water back up to 60 F. These were the last two Raint2019-9-16B.mp4
    • Kettle
      I have not hunted it in about 5 years but there were plenty of people running outboards, you have to be logical and not try and run where you can't. I wouldn't do it in the dark the first time. The majority of places I hunted on swan and had good luck were via canoe where I would paddle then drag it across a bog then paddle more. There are places where no motor outboard, longtail or surface drive can't get to, find these places there will be birds but it takes a lot of work 
    • Mike89
    • Tominator692
      It’s been jig-minnow for me. Boated 32 walleye today. Lots of nice fish up to 17”. But no slot fish. Caught everything in 22’ to 30’. East end. 
    • delcecchi
      Except that basically no one targets Tullibees to any extent.   The issue with walleye is that they are targeted at a level that the fish cannot tolerate no matter the weather or global climate change.   The natives taking their share has increased the pressure, and the various invasive species have made them less able to withstand the pressure, especially considering the political and economic issues.   If the tribal quota was zero as it was for many years, it would be politically easier to maintain harvest by anglers at a sustainable level.   
    • creepworm
      Went out Saturday morning. Couldn't get to my stands due to the monsoon season we are having, so I grabbed a chair and sat on the ground in some willows. Had a doe with a fawn come out shortly after shooting time. Then a small 1 year old buck. Then a bachelor group of 3 small 1 year old bucks. All the deer at one point were within 20 yards of me while sitting on the ground. Didn't kill anything but it was a good time.
    • BenelliBob
      25 outboard blow by any surface drives.....HAHAHA i know this post is from 2012 but yeah...if you wanna race your outboard against me just say when bud. id bet a 6pack my little 23 horse passes you