• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Ottertail-Battle Lake-Perham-Fergus Falls area Fishing Reports

I would stick to mid lake structure right now, i have tried up shallow and haven't had much luck except for some small perch, i have had some luck with running and gunning on a hump. the more holes the better. don't be scared to get up into 5-6 FOW on top of a hump and 40-60 FOW off the edge. Had my best luck with light light line and a "bro bug" Good luck!! wish i could be up there this weekend too!!! there is plenty of snow also!!!

so does anyone know of any good lakes to get some Northerns? Ive been looking to get into some so i can pickle them but havent got a single one this year but then again i havent got any eyes yet either

Any time am looking for Northerns for smoking or pickling, I go to Star and fish off of Beaver dam RD, put on a jigging spoon and hold on the lake is full of them, nothing big all on the small size(2 to 3LB range) but work great for pickling . Best shot at numbers I think.

Last year at this time I had good luck on Crystal. I have not been out at all this year do to health issues and have no idea what travel and fishing is like on the lake this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, looks like this thread has been pretty dead. I'm heading out tonight and probably will be fishing all day Saturday on some Ottertail-area lakes. Will post results when I get back. Just can't justify sitting inside when it's going to be so beautiful on the ice! Nothing like icefishing in a sweatshirt!!!

Any reports would be great. I do not need the secret spot just general information on how the fishing has been would help.

Hammered some bull gills this weekend! Found them in 8 FOW over dead weeds. They'd come in quick and leave quick. Just as fast as you'd catch one and put the jig down you'd have another on. Kept 17 gills between 8 and 9.75 inches on Saturday and 10 between 8 and 9.5 inches on Sunday. Awesome to find some bigguns, and the grandparents enjoyed the fish fry, too!

Bait of choice was a chartreuse and orange Marmooska tipped with either a waxie or spikes. Sunday they were a bit more finicky, so I swithed between that and an chartreuse/orange genze bug. They seemed to prefer more of a horizontal presentation vs. the 45 degree presentation on Sunday.

Hope that helps! Probably my last time out this season until open water. Great to end on a high note!

Went out to 3 area lakes Sat. and Sun. and and caught a few panfish. Still a very quiet fish bite.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading up Sunday packing both types of rods don't know about the ice I bet the creeks are starting to fill with spawners

• 1 month later...

are the panfish up shallow? i want to take a trip to annie battle and wade a bit. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious if anybody wants to talk fishing? Any updated prior to opener? Rush, Ottertail, any lakes? Any fish?

Thanks

Dave

All I know is friday can't come fast enought!!!!!!!! Clock is going tick tock.

I'm ready and waiting. I put the boat on the lift on Sunday and the water temp. was only 48 degrees. Those cold nights have really cooled the water. I only saw 1 other boat all weekend on Ottertail. The water level has dropped some probably because it's been open for a month now. Fishing should be almost as good as the weather that is predicted for the opener.

Ottertail is going to be a freakin' zoo on Saturday. Thank God we have a boat lift and can get the boats in early. I can't imagine what those landings are going to look like...circus.

Actually, I have been to Ottertail the last 2 openers just to try something different. Got there about 7:30 A.M. and it actually wasn't too bad---5 minutes to get in. Parking was the only pain. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be although, after 2 years I did have enough of it and will look to greener pastures this year. So many good lakes to chose from.........

Should be a fun weekend, i just hope its warm. ive been on OT for opener for 25 years. Shouldn't have to troll 6-8 feet as in years past, hoping they will be in the drop off's, they've had plenty of time to spawn and get out in the deeper stuff one would think. I havent seen shiners in the lake off the dock yet, so Im wonderin if this cold spell stopped them. hmmm.

I'll be on rush and me and my budy always find something...if not otter tail is 5 min away...good luck...atleast the weather is going to be good...

I know Ottertail hasn't been too bad during the past few years, but look at the weather: cold, windy, rain even snow. That keeps a lot of people off the water. Now look at this weekend's forecast: sun, light wind, mid-60s to low 70s. Trust me, saying the boat launches will be "busy" is putting it mildly.

Does anyone troll OT at Midnight on Opener? I thought of maybe giving it a shot for a couple hours to be ahead of the rush of people in the morning.

Just curious if anyone does this?

i dont troll. i just go to the areas where there is current and put in the trolling motor and just start working the area and casting jigs and shiner with a slow retrieve. ussually in 3 fow or less, if you have a spotlight or flashlight in the boat youll be able to tell if the fish are there, if the night is calm. goodluck, ill be out fishing at midnight on ottertail that night then heading over to rush at some point.

i am new at this walleye fishing. will be on big pine this weekend, anyone have some tips on where to fish and what to use. have a seasonal and a boat finally so thought i would try fishing walleyes this year. normally just fish for sunnys and bass. thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Ottertail was on fire recently, but tonite i went out with leeches and got only a couple. must not want them yet!

• 3 weeks later...

found the walleyes scattered over midlake humps over the weekend on ottertail. going slow with leeches and long snells was the ticket. all fish caught were nice fat fish about 16 inches or so.

I also got a few off the humps but they were deep 30-40 ft. Redtail on a lindy worked for me.