• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Ottertail-Battle Lake-Perham-Fergus Falls area Fishing Reports

Fished Otter Tail today from 10am - 6pm and managed 5 walleyes...fished 24 fow adjacent to a 10' flat...not as many perch in the deeper water and didn't catch a single walleye til 4:30pm. Getting around wouldn't have been too hard if I had a decent set of tires and some weight in the back of the truck...spun out a few times crossing old tracks and had to grab the shovel...

I have a buddy that that served in Iraq with me comming up the weekend of the 20th. We are going to try and do some fishing and so far Everytime we go out we get skunked i dont know if its where im going or what im doing wrong. I have been out on S. Turtle, Ottertail, Ten Mile, and Wall and i havent got any fish this year so can someone tell me what lake might be Decent. Possible have a GPS locatoin on Ottertail. Not a single fish this year yet I really need some help. Last year i got skunked on Ottertail too someone help me

You've hit some pretty good lakes there. Turtle skunked you, even on the small gills? They bite in streaks so you have to be patient.

What kind of gear are you using? For the gills you are going to want some light line and small jigs with waxies or spikes at bait.

Stop in at Kens Bait on Ottertail, and they could probably get you pointed in the right direction, as well as providing info on what tackle and techniqies are producing.

Do you have a dept finder (flasher)? While its not necessary, a flasher will really help you with location and telling the mood of the fish.

Well when i went out to S. Turtle we got there about 2 and fished till dark and never got a single bite and we wernt even marking fish on the Fl8 I figured if i was paitient something would move thru but i can most certianly head out and try again and i was using a Tiny Jig with a waxie and a light light rod. So after a while of not getting anything i switched over to a Crappie Minnow and then a Fathaed. What are Spikes ive never seen them before.

Spikes are basically a nicer name for maggots. Ben's Bait has them.

Were you in the main group of houses, what was the depth? You want to be in that 16-17 foot range most of the time.

Spikes are basically a nicer name for maggots. Ben's Bait has them.

Were you in the main group of houses, what was the depth? You want to be in that 16-17 foot range most of the time.

I was just off the PUblic access with all the other houses and i think i was in about 15ft of water and well i will just try waxies again and maybe some crappie minnows so i dont have to go all over to get spikes. What kinda setup do you recomend i use? just a small jig or plain hook?

My brother has been fishing S Turtle quite a bit this year and he said the bite has been pretty late in the evening for crappies and the panfish just weren't there like usual. Which has been fairly normal from what i hear.

Went out to S. Turtle Yesterday and i punched a few holes nothing on the camera and i just gave in and set up and with in about 20 min all i could see was sunfish on the underwater camera didnt catch many tho they were pretty touchy about what they would bite. I ended up catching about 10 sunnies and 2 Lg. Mouth Bass and there were a few Northern down there but no luck in getting them to bite but all in all for the 5hrs i was out it was ok best ive done all year. Now if only i could find some good size sunnies and some good eyes

I tried a Slough yesterday for some Gators and well luck wasnt so good and the snow was so deep you couldnt get to anything hardly with 4wd it would have been nice to have a sled but oh well anyone know where i can get into some nice gators because they are so good pickeled.

I'm heading to Ottertail next weekend with some friends. (2/20) We are staying on the east side about 500 yards down from the river inlet. Looking at the DNR lake map, this lake has some serious structure. Just curious if the SE side would be a decent place to start, or If I should be prepared to head way out towards to middle.

I will have a sled and wheeler along, so I am not worried about heading out any great distance, but the closer to the cabin may be easier with the family. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for any spots, I am fully capable to locate my own fish, but we will only have a few hours on Saturday and I would like to narrow my search a tad.

I have never fished the lake before, but from the posts it sounds like it is more of an evening bite lake. Would that be a correct assumption? Hoping to get a few walters or craps to keep the kids entertained.

Thanks,

CA

With all structure, it can be hard to pick a starting point. Don't be afraid to start in an area devoid of houses. In fact, sometimes you're better off.

The key with Ottertail, especially during the day, is this: If you are not marking any fish after 20-30 minutes, its time to move. Drill up and down a piece of structure, and work that piece until you mark fish. If you find fish, but they are not active, use that depth as a starting point on you next spot.

You will be hard pressed to find crappies, but the perch should keep the kids busy.

Stop at Ken's bait on the west end, and they'll give you the latest scoop.

It sounds like this year might have been different, but don't be afraid to go very shallow. There can be some great perch fishing with the occational walleye during the day, in as shallow as 9 feet of water. Shoreline structure, or midlake, both have produced for me in the past. I have heard some reports that deep has been the key this year though. Depth's between 40-44 feet. I agree with staying away from the crowds, but if you're limited on time, you might just have too. That lake is a hard one to find the spots on the spot, especially without GPS. OtterTail is probably one of the best daytime lakes I have ever fished though, so don't be discouraged cause it's during the day. Big perch and walleyes can still easily be caught.

Thanks fishlakeman! Just curious, what is the lake color? Is it a clear lake or bog stained/murky I need to know what colors of my arsenal I should bring along. Is it more of a jig and minnow lake, or a rap and darter lake? Thanks again for the help! By the way I will have a GPS along so I should be able to find that spot on the spot. I HOPE! wink

CA

very clear lake, you can see 15 feet down to the bottom. Ive been out in middle of OT for 2 months now, fish about 1-2 times a week, have brought back 3-4 keeper walleyes everytime. im really impressed with the amount of walleye's ive been seeing, must be that big 2005 class! love ottertail lake, but im always worried about all the fishing pressure on the lake

I am heading up there this weekend. I now everyone say the day bite on ottertail is great but I thinking I would like to go to a lake with not as much pressure. So I was thinking west battle just wondering how the day bite is on battle. Any help would be great. Thanks from the rookie fisherman.

Actually their really hasn't been much word on the day-bite for wallies on OT, 'cept for the 1 poster (alot more comments made 'bout evenings)...also, I've fished OT quite a bit this winter and haven't noticed very many ppl out there w/ me (however, I typically fish weekdays and from the SW access)...if you wanna see pressure check out Lake Lida (huge congregation of houses out there)...word for West Battle has been a good evening bite for Waldos...

For baits, use natural colors during the day, and Glow for the evening/night. Spoons in a shad or perch color are hard to go wrong with. I've actually sight fished perch in 9 ft of water during the middle of the day, and had good sized eyes come out of nowhere and bite too. I will say my best fishing on the lake has always come where I've been over a mile away from any one house. As far as the pressure goes, I'd say it's light relative to any other lake of its' size. There are so many spots that won't have a single house on it, that I'd love to take a winter off and just really explore the lake.

Battle is a tough lake during the day, as it's even clearer, but success can be had with some hard work. Have has some phenominal crappie fishing out there, but also worked harder for those fish than I ever had.

Little help please, fishing ottertail lake for the first time this sat and sunday. I guess our group is going out of the "riveira"?? access. Without giving up spots do you have any advice for me... Will have vexilar ect to find structure and depth. THANKS IN ADVANCE ...

Stop at Ken's bait, and they will be glad to tell you the latest info.

Bring plenty of auger gas, and drill shallow to deep on your spot. Work them all, and if you don't mark anything after a few minutes, move to another hole. If the spot does not pan out after 30-45 minutes, don't be afraid to move.

I like to work pieces from about 14-16 feet out to the mid 30's. You'll find fish deeper, but the mortality shoots way up.

From Riviera, there is usually a road plowed out to a spot called the A Frame. That might be a good starting point. I like to find spots with few or no houses. There is just so many good spots to try its hard to know where to start.

Are you bringing sleds? If not, travel will be limited for you.

anyone find the panfish lately, thinking about fishing saturday if the weather warms. Maybe Dead Lake but we are flexible.

Are you bringing sleds? If not, travel will be limited for you.

I am heading to Ottertail this weekend. I will have a sled and a wheeler. With two of us going, I would like to run both. Should my wheeler be an ok route to go. 600 Grizz W/Chains. Or should I only plan on running the sled? Need to make plans if necessary.

CA

snotrocket. dont worry about dead, its DEAD, really bad. Ottertail today out in riveria, 35 feet of water, 7 nice perch 2 solid walleyes, 17inch and 11 tulibee's, smoking those up!

we fished in about 30-35 feet out of Riveriera, pretty slow for us, most of the perch were real small, one 20 inch walleye and the rest of those were small. All in all it was slow with the limited fish we did catch being small. 4 houses of fisherman too so we hit it fairly hard. Thanks for the info though. road was plowed nice !!!