• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Ottertail-Battle Lake-Perham-Fergus Falls area Fishing Reports

Going up to Rush this weekend with my wife and my dad. Any reports on fishing Rush this time of year and how the fishing has been as of late? I was up there about 15 years ago for opener and it's the only time I've fished Rush. How about any reports on Ottertail or Walker?

Fished Ottertail on the Fourth of July. SLOOOOW. Water temp was 73 degrees on the west side and 75 on the east. Tried everything: jigs, lindy rigs, floats, bobbers, spinners. Caught one 14 incher and that was it. We had leeches and crawlers. It bit on a leech and chartreuse spinner. Heard red tails were supposed to be good, too, but wasn't willing to shell out 9 bucks for a dozen. Caught the eye in 28 FOW off a midlake hump. Got plenty of bites, but they'd drop it right away. Even got a hit on the bobber, but it held it for about 5 seconds only an inch under the water and dropped it. Good luck!

The last weekend in June, I really did well pulling rigs and leeches on OT. Windy during the middle of the day found them in the 10-26 ft range. Caught some eaters (15 in'ers) and released 10 nice fish 16.5-20 inches, with one 23 incher. Most fish came on shoreline structure. The 1st and 2nd of July we found the bite to be very difficult. It certainly had to do with the sounthern wind, and the mini front moving through. I didn't catch one fish from my honeyhole from the past weekend during the tournament. The tourney fish were caught in the shallow flats, and some midlake structure. Guys in the top 10 fished both types of structure. Minnows, crawlers, and leeches all caught fish.

The evening crankbait bite has started up in the shallow weeds & flats, not a crazy bite, but picking up some fish. No matter what time of day, with some hard work, you can put together a decent bag of fish.

• 1 month later...

the past 2 days i have been fishing around fergus. i left late at night on monday (well... it was 1 am tuesday morning to be exact...)

i arrived at orwell around 2 am. and did a little bit of scouting and found hundreds of fish gulping the surface of the water. idk if they were carp or buffalo. but after a while of fishing i finally hooked one. and got it withing hands reach, it looked like a buff with its plump head. i reached down and just barely touched it it took off and threw the hook. dang it! normally i consider touching a fish catching it... but it doesnt count because i have no idea if it was actually a buff.

i couldnt get any to bite after that, then i headed to a new spot. and parked for a few hours. i woke up at 6 and scouted the new area. right as i got to the waters edge i spotted a nice bigmouth buff! probably in the mid teens to 20lb range. but i didnt have my rod. the spot looked promising, i went back to the car and got my rod, and started fishing. i focused my efforts on stalking because of the ammount of fish i was seeing feeding along the shore. carp, buffs, shorthead redhorse, silver redhorse, white sucker.

the small smallmouth bass posed a threat on every cast toward a feeding fish... taking the worm before it even hit bottom... but i kept trying to no avail

so i went below the dam, and was catching carp pretty consistantly, then i stumbled upon a small stream flowing into the river that was FULL of nice smallies!

Photo-0382.jpg

Photo-0381.jpg

39722_421216284933_696349933_4843530_303

Photo-0380.jpg

Photo-0379.jpg

Photo-0378.jpg

Photo-0375.jpg

nice.jpg

giant.jpg

i was fishing anywhere from just enough water to cover their backs, to 3 feet where the river and creek merge. it was so much fun sight fishing for those beautiful fish! and given how many nice ones i caught, i lost just as many! some even bigger!

i went back above the dam, and looked under an overhanging tree and saw a couple carp sucking around lazily among the limbs. i sat and watched them, until a nice 5-6lb bigmouth buff swam in amongst them! i stalked and fished that guy for almost a half hour all the way down the shoreline to the dam, but he showed absolutely no interest in my bait! DANG IT! it was really cool fishing for him just like i fish for lake winona carp here in alex. he was so close to shore i could just drop the worm right in his face

i went back to the smallies for the rest of the stay there, checking for buffs periodically to no avail.

i know where i will be going again sometime in the near future!

• 2 weeks later...

NO REPORTS ON OTTERTAIL LAKE SINCE JULY 4?? whats wrong with you people!!

i had 4 in live well last night, pulling cranks. Its slow, but what the hell it was gorgeous out!

• 2 weeks later...

spent the week at the cabin on ottertail for the week the fishing is slow but you can do alright shad rapping in 8 fow from dusk on. all the fish caught were fish around 19 inches but the other night we got a 5 pound walleye and a 7.5 pound northern, goodluck.

a couple of friends are looking to come troll raps this labor day weekend--wondering if anyone could point out some starting spots or a certain side of Ottertail lake to start on.. none of us have ever been on the lake before. are there any better colors of raps that work better than another color

thanks in advance

Just look on a map. Fish off the first breaks in 8-10 foot of water. There are lots of places like this on the lake both on the north and south side of the lake.

• 3 weeks later...

My dad got back from Big Pine on Friday and didn't see a walleye all week - even took mom out on the boat three times and she couldn't catch one. Tried everything except slip bobbers. Said the water temps were in the low 60's. Plenty of rock bass and perch to go around though.

• 2 months later...

I don't get up that way, so I cant really attest to the conditions.

The best I can do is say some of the lakes in the area have 4-6 inches or so as of Friday morning. We got snow again yesterday , so that is not going to help.

Likely, the ice will be quite variable, and I would be cautious on shorlines as they took a beating with thin ice and warm weather last Sunday, followed by heavy winds and snow on Monday. On Tuesday the lakes I checked had a lot of slush on the first few yards of ice. Yesterday, it looked better and houses were appearing on some lakes.

I stopped at a bait shop yesterday, and the owner also indicated the shorelines were iffy on some lakes.

Hope this helps. Perhaps someone will have a more specific report for you soon.

I went by Bass Lake in Underwood yesterday.

There is a tandem axle Ice Castle(16 or 18 footer) on the lake. Wow.........

• 2 weeks later...

Heading out to Ottertail, Amor Flats, 13-14 feet, slow all day, 45 minute bite of 8-10 fish (keep 3-4, toss back 3-4 small ones and lose 3-4)

thats been the norm, nothing over 17", steady if you hit it daily,but nothing earth shattering.

My girlfriend has a cabin on Wall Lake outside of Fergus Falls. I am going to fish it on Thursday, and many other times I'm sure throughout the winter. Can someone give me any information about ice fishing this lake?? Different species, depths,general locations...any information will be helpful.

I have not fished it in years, but there is usually a good group of houses on the north end near the public access.

I am guessing this may be mostly panfish here, but there are nice walleyes in the lake.

• 1 month later...

I'd been wanting to get out for my first ice fishing tip of the season for some time. With the snowstorms nearly every week combined with sub-zero temps and horrible travel conditions, I'd yet to even set up my new shack. Thankfully, the warmer temps on Saturday gave me just the encouragement needed to head out the door.

I picked up my great uncle in Fergus, and headed out to Jewett. I know the lake can be finicky, but it's close by and there was a well-traveled trail out to a spot I'd fished last year.

We drilled about a dozen holes and decided to set up in about 12 FOW. Let the perch harassment begin. For three straight hours, we tried to keep the two- and three-inch bait stealers at bay, to no avail. Finally, some relatives came out around 11 a.m. to see how we were doing.

"Nada," we said.

"Well, let's try Fish," they said.

So we packed up our gear and drove out to Fish Lake, which is just a few miles down the road. Contemplating whether to blaze trail or huff it by foot, we eventually decided to throw the trucks in 4-wheel drive and try to go around the point and into a shallow bay. We made it fairly easy, and it didn't take long for some other folks to follow our lead, though they didn't go back as far as we did. By this time the sun was high and I daresay was beginning to get a sunburn. About 20 minutes after we set up some tipups, a flag popped and my cousin got the first, and only, decent fish of the trip: a fat northern. She didn't want it, so I said I'd take it since my pickling reserves were low and I was in need of some pike meat. Well we sat around and punched holes and hopped around for a few hours, but other than a couple 4- to 5-inch perch (hey, bigger than Jewett!) it was slow.

We called it quits around 2:30 p.m., as the uncle had chores to do on his farm. I needed to get back home, too, and get supper ready for the wife who was working nights.

All in all, certainly not the best trip I've ever had. At least I got out, though, for the first and possibly last time of the season (the weather was great, at least). Unless I hear better reports, I'm hanging up the gear and saving my gas money for early-season walleyes. The way I figure it, if nobody catches them this winter, they'll be plenty for opener!

Thanks for the update, Tyler. Makes me feel better about my upcoming trip this weekend. Glad that you were able to get out without too much difficulty. I've got high hopes for more warm weather and some cold nights to crust everything up.

How's getting around going? I figure this warm up will help knock some snow down, and the following freeze should firm up what's on top. I know that rutting will occur while this is melting, but I'm hoping that this will open up a lot of lakes to at least 4-wheelers, and maybe even some truck traffic! Am I way off base? Good Luck, 54 hours and counting...

Went for a snowmobile ride on Ottertail tonight. I couldn't believe how soft the snow ws. Now much left. Saw some fresh pickup tracks on the west side that meandered all over. Should be nice traveling for those with houses still out there.

MJ

Went out last night on a small lake near ottertail and was able to drive everywhere with the pickup. Very minimal snow left on this lake maybe 2-4 inch's left in spots. Where there was a couple drifts that we drove through our tracks soon filled up with water. But travel is good, I just wish fishing would've been also.

Had our yearly fishing trip to Ottertail delayed because of some new babies in the family, so we are heading up this weekend. Can anyone tell me if they are biting. Don't care what species, we just want to catch some fish on the big lake. Perch, walleye, northerns, don't care. If they aren't biting, I guess we'll have to spend more time at The Otter.

I would say we maybe got 2". The wind blew it around pretty good so the lakes shouldn't be a problem. Haven't been out for a week, so maybe someone else will chime in with a more current report.

Don't know about the "blizzard", but the melt followed by the hard freeze sure made it easy getting around. Now the fishing, on the other hand... Not good. I threw every trick I had in the book, with practically no luck.

McGurk, your post sounds like ever report I've heard this winter. Definitely ready for opener and some softwater after such a miserably slow winter season...