• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Ottertail-Battle Lake-Perham-Fergus Falls area Fishing Reports

Been fishing the north or south side? I was having the same problem of catching small eyes in 16 to 24 feet of water so I went shallower. Fished in 8 or 9 feet and have caught bigger fish. Released a 22" eye the other night.

Ever get any crappie on ottertail? Heading up thurs hoping for a few eye and maybe some bonus fish throughout the day.

I'd never say there aren't any crappie in OT, but I have never seen one. Better luck on or any of the other smaller lakes in the immediate area.

• 3 weeks later...

Was out yesterday off West end for the afternoon and night. Kinda slow with a little more activity around dark. Started in 22' and move up on a 16' hump later. Kept 4 biggest 17". Lots of small wallys around. Surprised at the low number of houses on the lake.

was out saturday, it was the dead sea. on a 13 feet. NOTHING. very sad indeed and there is like 8 houses on entire west side of lake. that early snow and blizzards in january closed up everything.

Anyone fishing Little Mac or Devil's? I'll be up this weekend to give something a try. Not 100% sure where so any suggestions would be great. Any walleye's hitting?

• 1 month later...

lets hope to get this a little more action this spring/summer. reports are fun and they make you realize that others are out there battling like you.

we are hitting rush & ottertail this weekend, hoping to catch anything.

I'm headed over to Ottertail area this weekend from Brainerd Lakes. We are driving full size trucks all over these lakes still. I would assume it is the same an hour west. I understand where my brother is coming from when he says we should drive the 4-wheeler in the morning since it's our first time out and it will be dark. However, I it would really be nice to just drive the ole pickup right to the spot. Any tips would be appreciated, and anything specific to walker would be even better. Thanks all!

• 1 month later...

Any weekday reports for ottertail? I tried dead lake the other day, caught 1 walleye, but it was a 26 and full of sperm. must not be too many females around.

• 2 weeks later...

Waters finally above 60 degrees, walleyes are there caught quite a few, surprisingly we caught some in 20 feet of water. weird.

anyone else fishing ottertail this week with reports?

Three of us fished OT pretty hard the evening of the 30th, didn't do too hot. One 15" walleye and a bunch of dink perch. Same spot this time last year we were able to pick off quite a few. Sure did see a ton of perch though when we dropped the underwater camera down.

Just got back from two weeks at our cabin(s) in OTC. We hit Elbow, Silver, Pickerel, Clitherall, Norway, and Fiske lake this year, all of them at least twice. Mostly fished bass, but caught plenty of other stuff too.

My relatives aren't into fishing, so I went by myself the first week and with a friend the second week. Here are some pics, in no particular order.

bedsmallie.jpg

Nice smallie, on a tube I think.

NorwayWalleye.jpg

Sight fished this 22" walleye with a Gulp leech on 4lb test. I saw many more fish that day, some much bigger than this one. If I had live bait I think I could have had an epic day on the 'eyes.

NorwayNorthern.jpg

I don't usually fish for Northerns, but we all know they're impossible to avoid no matter what you're fishing for.

Walleyestringer.jpg

I was able to catch walleyes every night by casting a jerkbait off the dock at the cabin. Kept some for eating and released many more.

Nightbass.jpg

Occasionally I'd pick up a nice bass doing the same thing.

hookinthumb.jpg

This is what happens when you forget your headlamp and try to unhook a thrashing walleye in the dark. Right in the thumb.

fbd2938d-a21e-4f2c-b842-340e4fc269f3.jpg

Pretty smallie on a jerkbait. They loved it.

NorwayCrappie.jpg

There was a huge school of crappies that hung out around the dock for over a week. I could catch them whenever I wanted. This one came from the boat though.

frogbass.jpg

The topwater bite turned on as the water warmed up. We caught a ton of bass on frogs.

FiskeBass.jpg

Good largemouth, think I caught it on a frog.

Swimbaitbass.jpg

Swimbait bite is always good.

It was an awesome trip. I always hate to leave.

Thanks guys, it was a great trip. Both the weather and the fishing were fantastic this year. Wish I didn't have to come home.

• 3 weeks later...

really frustrated on ottertail lake, pulled cranks 3 straight hours sunday night with ZERO. yet heard reports of 20-30 being taken over the weekend on cranks.

weather has been up and down, so thats a factor.

I came back a few days ago from 2 weeks on Otter Tail and am not surprised you did not do that well evening cranking. I like doing that but i tried just a little bit a couple of evenings and it just did not feel like it was going to happen. Usually my best night cranking would come after the 4th.

Cranking in the morning on the edges of the flats was working well, as was the leech bite.

I've fished OTL several times since the '14 opener with very little luck. The only bright spot early in the season came when, frustrated with my typical presentation of minnow on Lindy rig or jig, I tried pulling a crank bait (#5 Shad Rap) in' 5-7' at about 11 am in wide flat. Weird, huh? Hooked a nice 22" walleye that hit hard, but repeated passes produced no more. Water temps still in the low 60s.

Yesterday (July 6) was a beautiful evening after a previous stormy night. Started at about 6pm and tried a 25'-35' hump using nightcrawler and bottom bouncer. Nothing. Then moved to a shallower depth (13'-16') in an area with variable structure, generally sloping up from the strong NorthWest winds. Caught 4 'eyes in about 30 minutes around 7:30-8:00 pm, then the winds died and the fishing went cold. Three 14" and one nice fat 18". Fun! Water temps still in the upper 60s due to recent rains and wind.

Hoping the early walleyes are still there and hungrier than ever for the rest of the season!

Been impressed with the size and condition of OT walleyes during our vacation here. Seemed it used to be they were 13-14" cigars and most I've caught this year have been 15-19" and really chunky, almost look like pre-spawn walleyes.

It's hard to say if many people actually know about it. It was published in the Fergus and Perham papers last week, but if you don't read those I'm not sure how you would know. They did say that it was an advisory and that there was not going to be an attempt to enforce it. Hopefully, the resorts and bait shops will let folks know. It is only in effect until the water recedes some to the OHWL of the lake. I'm not sure anyone really knows what that is, though.

It seems like a reasonable request so hopefully people will do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was out pulling two nights ago and didnt catch jack. I was out this morning and caught 3 fish right at sunrise on leeches, but that bite was quick to go away after the sun came up.

• 4 months later...

12/1 Where are all the ice fishing reports? cmon people.

caught 4-5 eyes in 14 feet sundown last night. (ottertail)