• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Joe

Minnesota River Fishing Report

Scott K

last time I was out, I had 41, but that was before this last snow fall. I will be out tomorrow, I will let you know.

Scott K

The water temp when I went out was 47 degrees, but dropped to 43 when we loaded up in the evening. It wont take long, I assume next week we will be seeing water temps above 50 during the days.

TruthWalleyes

That's awesome. Sunday morning channel cats are calling my name!

motownmasher

spent a few hours out yesterday, but no takers. trying for channels. the main channel was about 48. found 55 in some backwaters. good luck to all!

JackPineGuy

fished for whites, all i got was a a few spawning walts. pulled the plug early after a couple eyes. dont want ta disturb the dripers.

NKLCOLT1911

was out sunday during the day water was at 53-53 degrees, fishing was slow and the river was moving fast, but it was my first trip of the year so it was just nice to be on the river.

Scott K

Water was looking like chocolate milk this morning. This cold snap will put a hurting on the water temps again.

Selmer

I fished last Monday (4/29) right in Montevideo and had no trouble limiting on 18-22" channels. Fished a log jam about 100 ft up the Chippewa River from the confluence with the Minnesota. Didn't take even an hour - pretty sweet lunch break! I fished the same spot from shore yesterday under cold front conditions. Still caught a few channels and a couple sheephead, C&R yesterday. Everything caught on slip rigs with night crawlers, 1 oz. egg sinker. Local CO put me on a tip that the run below the Marsh Lake Dam was hot for buffalo today - I hope to take my girls up tomorrow afternoon.

JackPineGuy

i stay off the river for walleye opener if u care about the fishery. lots of fish still pre and mid spawn

Scott M

Saturday is going to be a zoo...contemplating if its worth it...

JackPineGuy
Saturday is going to be a zoo...contemplating if its worth it...
on the mn river? oh of course it will be. 10 years ago, even 6 0r 7 years ago there wasent a soul on my stretch of the river. and if there was we all nknew eachother from town. know the landing just packed. PACKED. the cat guys put the word out and it was the begining of the end. all the locals agree. when i was kid there was hardly an acsess on my stretch, just carry ons. we owned the river. i still sneak down to heavilly fished ares and pluck some limits tho when the weekend warriors are away

JackPineGuy

sum cat guru moved down here from up north 6 or 7 years ago and began to exploit. They call it promoting, which promoting fishing is a good thing, its was basically to take credit for something that was already there. I read about it in the ODN and have her chatter from the locals. There all around us folks

Alagnak

the cat guys put the word out and it was the begining of the end. all the locals agree.

Well then that's settled. If the locals agree, it must be the cat guys! LOL

Or it could be that the river in general is a little cleaner, more respected/used/traveled than it was instead of viewed and used as a dump for everyone. It could be some population increase ( know I didn't live here 10 years ago). It could be the fact that gas prices drive many of us to stick closer to home and have found out there are some decent options besides the WALLEYE lakes of the north. There's a lot of factors that go into it but that's water under the bridge since the locals have it figured out already. ;-)

DTro

sum cat guru moved down here from up north 6 or 7 years ago and began to exploit. They call it promoting, which promoting fishing is a good thing, its was basically to take credit for something that was already there. I read about it in the ODN and have her chatter from the locals. There all around us folks

grin

Since there was article about me in the ODN not too long ago, I assume you are referring to me. First of all, not sure what the cut off is, but I've lived here for over 15 years now. I'm sure not taking credit for any fishery that is here and I ASSURE you I've spent more time on the MN river over the past 10 years than probably anybody reading this, except for a few people. smile Promoting it? Sure, I like to refer to it more as a sharing thing though. I've met a TON of great people as a result of my involvement with the MN river. Lifelong friends.

I've been part of a fine Catfish League, and have also sat with the MNDNR Catfish group to try and preserve the great fishery we have here.

I guess a guy could sit back and watch the "locals" and non residents throw a rope through every flathead they catch or he could do something to try and protect the fishery by promoting catch and release. That has ALWAYS been my main goal.

Its a lot of fun to catch some nice fish, take some pictures or make some videos. Smiles and laughs is what its all about.

Remember when??? Yeah, don't we all smirk

rushing

I here some guy with a tree name is responsible for the decline of intelligence.

My statement is just as moronic as yours.

All the locals agree.

Iceman1026

Ok guys where the eyes goin to be this weekend still deep or shallow ?

Scott K

I believe they are in mid spawn right now, so fish cautiously, and accordingly to mid spawn routines. Other then that, please be selective, and get them back in the water as quick as possible.

JackPineGuy
I believe they are in mid spawn right now, so fish cautiously, and accordingly to mid spawn routines. Other then that, please be selective, and get them back in the water as quick as possible.
very true.

DTro

I'm sure they will be stealing my bait and being a nuisance.

TruthWalleyes

You think the Flatheads are going DTRO?

NKLCOLT1911

I'm sure they will be stealing my bait and being a nuisance.

isint that what they always do?

NKLCOLT1911

also JPG i have lived near the MN river since 92 i fished it a bit in the late 90's and then stayed on the lakes and the rainy but because of guys like dtro and some others i have been reintroduced we'll say to it and now i look forward to fishing with my kids on it.

NoWiser

I can honestly say that this site is directly responsible for me starting to fish the river. I learned a ton from it and was successful catching flatheads my first time out because of it. That said, I'm not a huge danger to the fishery. I only make it out a handful of times each year, and if I eat a bullhead or catfish I'm puking for 24 straight hours (only thing, besides kiwi, that I know I'm allergic to). Still haven't figured out the walleyes in there, so they are safe, too.

Kind of a coincidence, but the 2nd time I was ever out on the river, one of the regulars here (with HSO stickers on their boat) almost swamped me and bashed my boat and new Honda motor up on the rocks on the upstream side of the Jordan landing while they were showing off whipping circles videotaping themselves. They then proceeded to whip around me going full throttle (almost swamping me again) when I was 50 yards from my fishing spot, and cut me off so they could fish it themselves. And no, it was not Dtro smile

Anyways, I won't have a chance to fish the river this spring, but I look forward to seeing the reports once things heat up!

SurlyRobot

I've been out a couple times this year so far looking for channel cats off the shore but no luck for me yet on chicken livers. I was out last week and this other guy said he was catching carp with worms on bobbers. Forgot to mention I'm fishing out near Carver.

TruthWalleyes

its a good time of the year to get channels with crawlers too.