• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

cloneskull

Does anyone know of any good bank fishing spots, to fish for flathead catfish? I have been hearing a lot of reports on big cats coming from the river. But, I haven't learned of any locations. And, I am considering taking a trip up to catch some. If there are any, accessible from shore. Thanks!

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• TruthWalleyes

• Gordie

• DTro

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Labor Day weekend with the kids on the Minnesota near Mankato. 

My first sturgeon and a couple of cats. Great day to be on the river. Still high but manageable however the landing was muddy 

Finally got out fishing, been a busy summer at work. Spent Saturday and today in the Mankato area. Amazing to show up at a boat ramp on Labor Day weekend and be the only person at the launch! Caught a

Posted Images

aanderud

You won't get a lot of specific posts for locations other than an occasional community spot like the water discharges at black dog lake.

However, you can use google earth and find some nice spots to fish -- focus on creeks, inlets, sharp points where there are nice current seams, water discharges, bridge pilings or other current breaks where there might be both deeper water, slack water, and the presence of baitfish. You can also look for wood snags, but most will be less accessible from publicly accessible land. Rocks and boulders can be really good to fish (you'll find these near blackdog) if you can find them.

Welcome to the great family of HSO.

Lots of knowledge on these forums.

Right now shore spota are harder to find than the catfish themselves with all the recent rain and the flooding the river has been up then dropping and leaving it quite messy/muddy for the shore guys.

aanderud has some good info to follow. I might add to check the state trails systems alots of good areas to fish but a hike may be required. you can find this info out thru the google maps aslo.

Good Luck

chuckwagon

Is there a way to get into black dog lake to fish in a boat? Whats the closest launch to the power plant

Roscoe010

You cannot fish Black Dog in a boat. There is no access and I think it might be part of the Minnesota Valley Refuge, where they prohibit boat use on their lakes. You can fish it from shore. I have caught carp from shore there pushing 20 pounds with either worms or homemade doughballs.

aanderud

The closest ramp to blackdog's upper dischargs is the 35w ramp. The downstream discharge is closer to the 77 bridge, I believe.

The lakes are closed but....the discharges into the river do hold some fish. I know there's one guy who used to post some really nice blackdog flathead pics on here, but I haven't seen any this year yet. It's been way too high most of the time, as Gordie mentioned.

BEEFEATER

Boy there pound"n now. Caught several limits of nice walleye and sauger today. Water clarity is trash but rattle baits and erie drie's were on fire. Got a couple hogs on bollig riged jigs. Should be a great week. evenings have been outstanding.

BEEFEATER

geeeeesh they were jumpin in the boat before that storm tonight. Had ta let my last 5 limits go cuz im swimming in fillets

pikerliker

Boy there pound"n now. Caught several limits of nice walleye and sauger today. Water clarity is trash but rattle baits and erie drie's were on fire. Got a couple hogs on bollig riged jigs. Should be a great week. evenings have been outstanding.

Maybe a stupid question beefeater but what exactly is a bollig rigged jig?

Thanks

BEEFEATER

Is just a jig with a plastic worm. Like set up like a mister twister but its usually like a full size bass style worm. could have a curly or stright subtle tail. Larry bollig popularized them i guess.....

esoxrocks01

I got out near the 35W bridge today. Didn't get a bite, but a couple came down right next to me and brought out 2 sheepshead. Right at that moment, it started raining and I decided to head for home.

Roscoe010

I was out on Saturday, tried several snags and current seams, but could not get any fish, only snagged to lose several set ups. The storms stayed just barely south of us and only got sprinkled on. Had good company on the boat and it was fun to get out on the water. Putting the boat on the trailer with that swift current is a bit of a challenge.

BEEFEATER

sheell be risin again. Fishings been amazing and will get round 3 oughta the deal

• 2 weeks later...
clayton08

If anyone snags a shimano bait caster with an ugly stick,a 5 oz sinker and presumably a flatty on the other end of it let me know. lol The gf wasnt watching the pole and the rod got pulled in the river while catfishing the other night there goes a 120 bucks but have to say that was quite the experience

If anyone snags a shimano bait caster with an ugly stick,a 5 oz sinker and presumably a flatty on the other end of it let me know. lol The gf wasnt watching the pole and the rod got pulled in the river while catfishing the other night there goes a 120 bucks but have to say that was quite the experience

Its No fun to lose a cat set up been there done that.

Lowblazah

That'll teach you...better leave her at home next time wink

esoxrocks01

Went fishing last night, and almost had a fish reeled up to shore. Unfortunately, it broke off my line and made off with my dough ball-filled treble hook. At least it didn't take the barrel swivel and egg sinker with it! The way it kept making my rod tip shake as it was biting made me believe it had to have either been a flathead, or a channel catfish!

Out last night 7:30 to Midnight. Had one drive-by on a bully but was dropped within a few seconds. I have yet to land a flathead in 12 trips so we decided to try for a little action and fished 50/50 between live bully and cut sucker, the channels were very active on the cut sucker. We were in 5fow on a little mud flat between a few log jams. All fish cam right off a current seem with the biggest at 26". The river was very active last night, water temp at 83 degrees with hoards of baitfish everywhere and actively feeding northerns everywhere you looked. Overall a great night but man do I want to catch my first flathead soon!

Lowblazah

The river was very active last night, water temp at 83 degrees with hoards of baitfish everywhere and actively feeding northerns everywhere you looked.

Those were most likely gar feeding if it was after dark. The pike typically shut off once the sun is down.

yeah that is probably a good point. I know some of them were pike because they swam within a few feet of my boat but I bet a good majority of them were gar.

• 2 weeks later...
Roscoe010

Went out on Saturday (7/21/2012) with my dad and tried a couple locations I havent been to in a couple years. I caught a 6 pound flathead and he got a sheephead and a nice channel cat. I forgot the tackle box, which I've never done before, so when I had to cut my line for the flathead I just enjoyed the afternoon and heat. It was really hot! Nice to get Dad out on the water and off the golf course for a change.

aanderud

Slow action tonight out of Carver, but the boat ramp was PACKED. We must have seen 6+ boats in a 2 mile stretch of river. Darren got one tiny flathead and one mid-sized channel cat, both on cutbait (which is 2 more fish than I got). Nothing to write home about but at least someone wasn't skunked. One missed run (by yours truly).

clayton08

Yeah I havent had a hit on a live bullhead last 5 times out its been weird. But every night I catch at least one off cut bait. Been going out lately by jordan hasnt been lights out. Seen a couple boats hit some logs right south of the landing rivers low be careful out there.

Got 5 channels last night got them on frogs and cut creek chubs and picked up a small flathead on cut chub as well. miss several thru the night.

Was great to be out and not have the humidity to deal with.

esoxrocks01

I went catfishing last night, and managed to catch my first cat! It was a 14 inch channel. After releasing it, I didn't get anything else. But that's okay, 'cause I accomplished what was an impossible feat for me this summer!