• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnesota River Fishing Report

I have caught some doggies on Mille lacs, and I would say your weight is a very fair estimate! lb for lb they fight really well! They have powerful bursts!!!! ugly fish, but fun to catch. Also during spawn the males have some pretty colors.

• 2 weeks later...

Shore fished the MN on Sat afternoon going for the elusive walleye and actually caught a 14"er and a lil bigger sauger (both released) on a ringworm. I've been skunked on the MN river more than once so I was surprised. Buddy missed his bites on minnows so he got the skunk

Cool to see all the structure since the water is really low.

• 3 months later...

Anyone tried the MN River this winter from shore or boat? What worked for bait? I am gonna try it from shore this weekend since the water is open, I'm thinking minnows on a Lindy, maybe crawlers if I can find them.

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason I dont do this is bc all the spots with deeper water near me have ice. But if I did have a good spot with open water I would use small suckers or a white jig and twisty tail. I will wait for walleye opener myself.

After fishing near the Black Dog Road dam near the 35W bridge yesterday, I got skunked (I was using Berkley Powerbait Honey Worms, so that might explain why). The stream coming from Black Dog lake into the river through the dam has no ice at all, so if your itching for catfish or panfish, give it a shot. Such a shame walleye, bass, and pike seasons are closed for a while.

Sheepshead are taking large topwater baits. Best time is between 4 and 5 am in slack water. I was running a 8" bassoreno type lure and hammering them.

Eric, were we trolling corn that day we lit up the lake trout? I coulda sworn it was chcken livers on a lindy rig...

Quick question are there any decent cats up by shakopee. I know upstream by redwood there is but would bet that there are around shakopee to just a yeah or no answer is all I need I know the flats arent going to be on fire yet.

I didn't know they had fins thought they just had 4 legs and a tail like a house cat. I didn't know if there were dams or not on the mn I shall give it a shot once water warns up.

caught some sheephead and a golden walter yesterday afternoon, seen a small 16" fish with a white tip on his tail get caught too

River temp got up to 57 degrees yesterday by Courtland. Caught a bunch of small channels. Biggest was maybe 5-6 lbs. No flats.

• 3 weeks later...

Got out on the river last saturday with a buddy. We put in at Chaska and ran upriver. Water temp was 56 degrees. Checked a few spots for channels throughout the afternoon but didn't have any luck. We targeted mainly current breaks in 5-7fow and a few nice drop offs from 7' into 13'. Marked a lot of fish in each spot we tried. We were using cut bullhead which I'm not sure was the best bait option today given the lack of success. This is my first year fishing the minnesota so we were trying to nail down a few decent spots. Ended up south of the Carver tressel at sundown. We threw out a couple live bullies for flats. Had one hard take but the circle hook never turned the corner.

Nice report, ARB. Welcome to the forums. I imagine we'll meet up sometime on the river. I fish mostly the MN river from 35W up to about belle plaine. How were the depths for running the river right now?

Yep ARB welcome to the HSO family alot of great info in these forums and we always seem to have more fun.

Great report I'm hoping to get out this weekend. catch on the river some time.

Hey thanks guys. Yeah I am definitely looking forward to being down on the river this summer, I'm sure I will run into some of the folks from this forum! I may get down there this weekend, I am planning on Saturday night if the storms stay away.

aanderud- seems that the channel was typically no shallower than 6-7' from chaska to carver however there was a stretch of water NE of carver that probably was 4-5'. Maybe I just couldn't stay on the channel through this area however it sure seemed like I was.

Fishing ws slow for us yeasturday and all we could get were these darn rough fish grin sorry for the poor caamera work the digital broke and the camera man couldnt figure out how to use my phone whistle

full-15313-19480-imag0162.jpg

that's a nice one Gordi. at least you can post a picture. i spent an hour today and just cant do it. realy frustrating. guess i have to bribe my son-inlaw with anything he wants to eat off the grill for a show and tell presentation. good luck.

Cut bait?

I got one about 4 lbs on cut bait and this one on a 6 inch creek chub hit it like a flatand the clicker screamed but this is what was on the hook darn rough fish grin

• 2 weeks later...

I have done pretty well so far. One day last week, we got a cat, a sheep, a shovelnose sturgeon and a 20 inch walleye. I went back the next day and got another shoevelnose, 6 carp that weighed between 5 and 8 lbs, a 15 lbs carp and a small silver redhorse. The next two days were colder and didnt bring in much. The bottom was good at the carp spot the first day, but when I went back all this green, slimy seaweed kept gathering on my line, so I called it quits for the day. Fishing from shore for now.

Had a fun evening from shore yesterday. Went out with a buddy and caught 10 fish total using nightcrawlers. Caught another shovelnose which was pretty long, but not much weight to them. Then we got 4 walleyes (I love this low water!) and 5 sheeps. I hope the walleyes stay put after the fishing opener. The last time I caught a MN River walleye near the cities was about 12 years ago.

thats all ive caught is walleyes on bullheads this year not one flatty yet. Caught many walters over 28inches and one that was 30incher hope they stay there after opener!! Cant wait for the flatheads to get going good!!!