• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnesota River Fishing Report

Hey truth is that the Chaska landing in your picture? And how Long before the river is slowed up and clears up after this rain ? thanks -guy waitin to fish-

if we get 4 inches of rain it will be a LONG time. This is just like last fall except the river is still running high from the spring. Im hoping somehow we are spared the worst of the rain.

Hey truth is that the Chaska landing in your picture? And how Long before the river is slowed up and clears up after this rain ? thanks -guy waitin to fish-

Judson it says.

Yep, Judson landing in between Mankato and New Ulm.

I'd imagine the river has gone up a bit since sunday.

When will it clear up? Depends on your perspective of clear ?!? But the debris should slow down once the river is back within its banks.

I am new as a member to the site, but have been following for years, and have gained some good insight from this forum for my fishing adventures. I figured I would post some info from my recent trip just as an FYI.

Me and two buddies fished from Friday (17th) to Tuesday night (21st) on the Minnesota. As expected water was high and flooded through trees. We fished every evening from 5pm to at least 1 am. every night. The three of us landed 6 flats total and one channel for the trip. We did get some walleyes during the day. As far as cats are concerned 5 of the flats were under 10 lbs. One was 17 lb and was caught at 11 pm in a creek mouth in 4ft.

It was a slower trip than others I have had in June but fishing is just that, and at least we did find some fish. All fish were released to grow for the next time I get down there or one of you finds them!

Good luck fishing and thanks to all who post...provides a lot of knowledge and assistance to those of us getting into new fishing opportunities

Being a gluton for punishment...I am going out tonight again for awhile. The water is up in the landing in Morton so it will be interesting!

With raising water and unpredictable weather conditions. Yesterday probably wasn't the most idea conditions, but my time nowadays is fairly limited and ya cant catch'em on the couch. So myself, tonkaboy and my lil cousin "Lumpy" decided to head out any-who.

We got to out 1st spot at about 7pm and before i even had a chance to light my cig "which is a good thing" Lumpy's rod takes a bounce and clicker starts clicking. He set the hook, the rod didn't move an inch and the fight is on, esp in strong current. After some good runs, a few minutes later this gal was in the net. Didn't get girth, couldn't find my tape to save my life, but lenght was 35.5"

photo.jpg

We changed spots once more and got one more run but that was the only fish for the night. Called it a night around 11.

Fishing is definitely tougher and please be careful as I saw many tress floating down river, but there is still fish to be had.

• 2 weeks later...

Chrisonice,

the minnesota river is consider inland water. I do believe that it also falls under the coast guard requirement of a 6 pack license needed if you guide for compensation (some regulars can clarify this). as for the mississippi it is considered only border water(with wisconsin) from hastings down river to the iowa border and the rest of it is classified inland but again to guide on it you need the 6 pack license.

Chrisonice,

the minnesota river is consider inland water. I do believe that it also falls under the coast guard requirement of a 6 pack license needed if you guide for compensation (some regulars can clarify this). as for the mississippi it is considered only border water(with wisconsin) from hastings down river to the iowa border and the rest of it is classified inland but again to guide on it you need the 6 pack license.

Your required to have a License on anybody of water (inland or otherwise), you guide on river, lake it makes no difference.

Thanks, how about keeping walleyes, because I know that pool 2 is catch and release only.

Thanks, how about keeping walleyes, because I know that pool 2 is catch and release only.

Check the regs.

A friend of mine was fishing the river in the Jordan area on Saturday and picked up a 38 inch flathead so they are still around just have to think outside the box when fishin them.

Good Luck

I took my nephew on the Minnesota this afternoon for some eye action.

We caught 10 eyes from 16-19 inches. I tried about everything and all I could get them to go on was crawlers. Very nice bunch of eyes but no sauger this trip.

We also caught 2 soft shells, 3 shovelnose, 5 sheepies and 2 channels. Then I caught about a 24 inch eel. Ugly critter to say the least.

Very cool to hear you caught an eel Tom. I use to catch a lot of them back in the day, I havent caught one out of the Mn in about 20 years. Thats gotta a be a good sign, right?

It was hot out there. The current was not to bad but the water is still pretty dirty.

I did not believe we would have very much for fish with the current and water clarity but I got suprised.

Scott, I went to the Henderson landing but that looked like a mess to say the least. There were 2 boats that told me they used it but almost got stuck.

LeSueur wasn't too bad but a nice sand bar is forming in the landing but still very usable.

You can have those eels Scott. Ugly critters.

Those eels are unique, thats for sure. But it is a species I havent seen caught in a long time.

Good stuff, Tom. Hope your nephew doesn't expect you to put him on that many fish EVERY time you go out! What a day of fishing. The eel is icing on the cake, if you ask me.

He is starting to expect this Brian. I had Josh up to Rainy and a couple other lakes this year and we have done very, very well to date. He will be bummed out soon as this bite cannot continue on the river and the lakes. I am sure it will slow. One has to enjoy it while it lasts.

He wanted to go again this evening but I said I was taking the evening off.

The Mn river bite for me this year to date has been the best by far that I have ever enjoyed.

• 3 weeks later...

river has dropped to a fishable level now in our area. but the cats don't care.very slow weekend on the water with only two cats in the boat in nearly twenty hours on the river

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys! River is down and Im going to hit it up Friday night. Im thinking around the New Ulm area and I will be using bullheads. I dont have a boat right now so I will be bank fishing it. How are the flattys biting? Looking for a report of the recent action. Any tips on a spot would be awesome too wink

I haven't tried around there, but up here bullheads aren't doing anything. Try chubs

Alright will do. My buddy I'll be going with swears by chubs I've always had my luck on bullheads. Thanks. Getting any flatties with those chubs?!?