• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

McGregor-Aitkin-Crosby-Deerwood Area fishing reports

Hello,

Wanted to know how the ice is doing up north. May head up on Sunday to BSL to check on the cabin and get some things done around there. If we head up I will report back on what we find. Can't wait till she opens up! Have the itch to get back out on the water!

I know that last weekend the ice was still all over. We had about 10-15 feet of water from shore to ice though. Although in some spots it was still tight to shore. With the wind and warmer temps though it shouldn't take too awfully long for it to start going quick. My father in law will be up at the cabin this weekend so im sure I will get a report on how much is left. Not much longer!

ice is going very fast, the smaller lakes are open. mille lacs was open as far as I could see today.

How is the ice sheet on BSL looking? If I had to guess, would think most is open. any feed back would be great..Thanks!

It was glorious to see all the ice off Big Sandy this past weekend. Seen a few guys out chasing crappies, though haven't heard any reports yet. The lake seems to be down at least a foot right now. Opener is getting close. Can't wait to tangle with a few eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

What are people's plans for hitting BSL on opener.. going jig and minnow? fishing shallow water or off the breaks.. I've had great success early spring in water 6'-8' using jig and minnow and floating bait under a bobber. Can't wait to get up there next weekend and find the eyes and maybe find some of the crappies. Good luck to everyone. If you see a red lund pro v with a mariner sticking off the back stop by and say hello.

I am actually going up the weekend after opener. But even so, I tend to concentrate on shallow feeding areas. The spawn SHOULD be all but over, so the walleye should also be relating to shallow areas with lots of baitfish. I like to fish in about 6-10' of water. I find a colored hook and leech under a slip is about as good as it gets (red or chartreuse). And I honestly catch more right off our dock in our bay between the hours of about 6-10pm.

• Thumbs Up 1

last summer I have started staying on the lake after dark and have been productive. that is fishing the top side of the drop offs. I head out about an hour before get setup and wait..starts slow then a few head in then slows then the next batch head in. the wife really enjoyed it last summer. this seemed to work for most of all of the summer. with a bigger boat now i'm excited to check other area's out that wasn't able to get to very often before. also using the colored hooks. orange seemed to be the best. orange jigs seem to be my hot number when using them with fatheads or shiners. I will be up friday trying to find some crappies in the afternoon. anyone had any luck with them moving in at all?

Does anyone know if Willieys will have shiners ready to go this weekend? Or has anyone heard if they have a decent crop of them this year? will check a few places on my way up also

Willeys is always hit or miss with shiners. I'd say it's a good bet they will have them. Though they always charge a lot. I will actually be up this weekend at the cabin. We have been pretty exclusive with leeches, but always have a few shiners and crappie minnows on hand. I'm guessing the walleye will be pretty shallow (the lake was down about a foot last time I was up).

Well hit BSL on opener. Was on the lake about 630 sat morning. First time was out on the point on the entrance into belle horn bay. Caught a few smaller fish then decided to try a bit deeper with all the boat traffic on the lake after 830-900. found some northerns and a few small eyes from 12'-15' along the breaks with rock/gravel area's. Went out mid day and found more notherens using fathead and using lindy rigs and bottom bouncers in that same depth range. When the lake calmed down with boats went out in the evening and hit shallow water along some rocks and found the eyes. Kept one for the livewell other ones too small for the slot. Headed out around 7 am on sunday morning over to the point and found the walleys in 7-9' caught a couple right off the bat then was time to head in to head back south. Was my first time being up on opener and had a great time. Going back up to the cabin this weekend and hope to find a few more eyes. Leeches seemed to be favored over shiners and fatheads. Will bring some larger leeches up with me this weekend.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

fishing has been a little tougher of late, I think its got to do with all the rain we have been getting of late. the rivers are high, the lakes have risen. the reports I have got from big sandy are a few out of slot walleyes being caught. on a good note, seems the panfish bite has been OK.

• Thumbs Up 1

​We're heading up there later this week.  I've haven't tried to find the panfish, especially crappies.  Any insight or tips you'd be willing to share?  THANKS.

There sure were a LOT of boats out on the lake this past holiday weekend.  A LOT of people fishing on Big Sandy Lake.  I was only able to get out on Sunday for a few hours in the morning.  I caught 10-15 small northerns and 2 average largemouth. Anyone have any luck pan fishing?  It appeared as though most people were trying for walleyes.  I'll be back up in a couple weeks to look for smallmouth and largemouth.  As always, I threw everything back.

membass.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

The opener was a little ridiculous. Haven't seen that many boats in YEARS if ever on opener. Talked to quite a few guys that day and none were very successful. A few northerns and that's about it. We did end up catching about 20 or so walleyes with just one in the slot that weekend. We had out best success off the dock with a leech under a bobber. The next weekend we did a little better. Still off the dock with a leech. We ended up with about 20-25 walleye with 4 in the slot. I find that the fish stay pretty shallow until the weeds start coming in. Even then we will troll weedlines all summer in about 8-10 feet of water. If we can find a rocky bottom, we tend to find walleyes. We like lindy rigs either with a green Colorado blade or just a single green or red hook tipped with a leech. 

• 2 months later...

There weren't very many people fishing this weekend, but BSL sure provided some nice smallies!  It was HOT and so was the fishing.

August_Smally3.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

It's exciting.  I hope they continue to grow in numbers because the fight is fun!  I throw them all back.  I'd love to see the largemouth numbers skyrocket too.  I caught a lot of 3 inch baby largemouth last weekend looking for crappies which is a really good sign!

Heading up to BSL this weekend. Haven't been up in a few weeks. Wanted to know is Aitkin lake a better area to try and locate crappies than BSL? I have only been up in that area a few times. I found crappies under one of the bridges a few weeks ago. Will be going after some eyes also. Are most using worms or pulling cranks. I still have leeches I have been nursing to stay alive since as always this time of year they are hard to come by. 

I have a really tough time finding crappies on BSL.  I can't remember the last time I caught one.  I tried for walleyes for two days in a row August 14th and 15th and never got a bite so I went bass fishing instead and that was a lot better.  I was fishing for walleyes on the main basin of the lake by flats and rock piles.  I have the navionics app so I know exactly where those flats are on the main body of the lake.  I saw two other boats at any given time fishing the main lake so the walleye fishing must be really slow considering it was a weekend.  That lake can be frustrating for walleye and crappie.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey There - Family just got a cabin on BSL. I was only able to fish later ice this year.  I was up last monday and got a 17.5" Smallie and some rockies.  The deep holes 30'+ showed suspended fish but very inactive.  They would just look at it.

Some buddies and I are trying to go up on opener but who knows...last monday I counted 28.5" of ice off of long island.

• Thumbs Up 1

congrats on the new adventures to be had on BSL!  I have never been on the lake but have many friends that go out there...don't overlook emerging weeds and a bobber set up for walleyes in the spring.  I know one of my friends fishes off the dock all spring and does great on the eyes usually better then the group that goes in the boat.  Big crappies are still to be had out there too.  heard of a good bite up there this winter...

Thanks Yeah  I heard that too but everytime I was out they would just stare at the bait. Seemed like the weekends we got up it was double digit negatives. I also heard Aitkin had at least a partial winterkill.

the suspended fish were probably tullibee, need light jigs with waxies most time. big sandy is a nice lake, you will enjoy fishing here.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

How was opener?

Has anyone caught fish lately?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Any size to the panfish @knoppers

Anyone else been out? Pics? Video?