• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

It would have been a pleasure to have a beer with you. Give me another call, I've got a couple crappie spots up that way for you.

I'm heading out to brave the bitter cold, and straighten the spine of some unexpecting walleyes. Think I'm going to fish somewhere on the Pelican Chain. Anyone got any advise?

I can't figure out how to upload a picture for my profile. Darn this computer thingy. Grr!

Got out this morning and caught 10 walleyes, 6 being 12"ers other 4 were 14-18". They hit from the moment I got there at 530 until 645ish and then completely shut off. Did manage to catch the biggest smallie of my life and one other nice one. I also took a leak in the nicest port-a-potty ive seen in my life(this may tell you were I was).

Dang axman it must have been cold out there with the 30 degrees and wind.....

Sounds comparable to opening morning to me!! I was underdressed and it was miserable and awesome at the same time laugh

It was rediculously cold. It was so cold some guy stopped on the road by where we were fishing and im not kidding laughed at us for like 15 minutes and took pictures. You know it's cold when the walleyes feel warm on your fingers. I had 5 layers on and it was worth it as I love having a lake to myself.

Well this evening wasn't much better as far as the weather goes, it was ok until about a 1/2 hour before dark and my fingers started getting numb. I went out to Tulaby and ended up catching 5 eyes, biggest one being an 18"er. The wind was coming from the east and yes I caught them all on the western side of the lake. All but one of the fish I caught in less than 10fow. Trolling with a gold spinner and rainbows!

Went out to Prairie last night after helping the folks. Forgot my depthfinder at home. Geez, you really feel naked without the thing. Anyway, caught two real nice crappies (12+" & 13+"), a few northerns, one big bluegill, and one decent largemouth. Couple of sunny days and the crappies should start going out there.

Sounds comparable to opening morning to me!! I was underdressed and it was miserable and awesome at the same time laugh

Lord isn't that the truth. You'd think I'd know better by now, but there I was rummaging through the cabin scrounging for an extra sweatshirt to throw on, while enough cold weather gear to fish in antarctica is at home in the closet.

It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't done the same thing on about 50 other occasions...

Begs the question: why don't I keep some spare gear at the cabin??? Rob = moron...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Has anybody been out on Cotton yet? After I hopfully get my turkey tomorrow morning I'm going to swing by my folks place and dump my boat in to try my luck for the rest of the weekend.

Begs the question: why don't I keep some spare gear at the cabin??? Rob = moron...

Sounds to me like Rob = moron = all the rest of us! I wish I hadn't done this a few dozen times myself... You'd think we'd learn! crazy

"Has anybody been out on Cotton yet?" I know of two boats that fished cotton on the opener. Slow, a few pike. No eyes.....

I was out last night on Buck lake. I was there from 1:00-11:00 and caught 3 eyes. They were 15", 22", and 25". I know it's wrong but it's been so long since I had a great big walleye fillet, I kept the 22" and the 15". I also caught a mid 40" Muskey, didn't bring it outta the water. Did touch the leader though. Over all not a bad day!

Got out last night at around 9pm and fished off shore. Got 2 at one spot (14 and 23 inches) and then went to a different spot where I got 5 others and lost about that many or more. Had them hooked but you have to horse them out of the current so I supposed I pulled the hook out of their mouths. I hope the weather shapes up so I can get out after some crappies.

Thanks Pace, I kinda thought that would be the report. Big spring fed lake = cold. Hopefully i cen get out this weekend and give a report.

Went to Melissa today the wind was brutal caught two slimers and a few crappies. Then went to Sallie and had one wally to the boat, but the darn waves and trying to get the net kinda messed me up. Also got two bass. Thanks to the guys at Mellissa landing that helped get the boat on the trailer that wind switched direction and made it a bear.

Any size to the crappies? Were you one of the boats in the Fern Beach area (SW Corner)?

Yes, they were btwn 10 to 12 inchers. Had to move around to keep on them. I didnt keep any had the day off so I had to get out and fish.

Is anyone planning on venturing out in these gail force winds? I might give it a shot later this evening. I gotta little boat so I'm kinda restricted to little water.

Still can't figure out how to get my picture on this darn profile.

I'll definitely be going out in a little while, might wait until 5 or 6 before venturing out. I have been working on my trailer lights for the last couple of hours, what a pain. But, i'm slowly figuring it out.. bad ground.

Rippin, did you start up a photobucket account?? You can download your pics to that site and than load them onto here!! It took me a few times but I got it eventually.

I went out last night and we caught a few walleyes. Nothing to really brag about. They were all about 20", and pulled just right! :-) We also went out this morning and caught two more. One was about 25". All were caught in about 6 FOW, maybe shallower. I'm not sure but I think all were males.

Thanks a lot Leech, I'll see what I can do with my picture.

What a weird night last night!!!! I was ready to leave for the lake last night, I was standing on the porch and I could see something out of the corner of my eye coming right for me! It went screaming by me and WHAAAAAAAP hit the wall, I about soiled my drawers. It ended up being a grouse, it hit my siding and bounced under the porch, man did that sucker hit hard. A heck of a way to go!!!

While driving to the lake I was rounding a corner and I saw 2 big chubby guys in their underwear dragging a canoe across the road. It ended up being a couple of leech trappers that rolled their canoe. I was related to one of them, I bummed him a beer and a couple of cigs.

The rest of the night was pretty decent, I went to Bass lake and found some crappies!! I was in a bay casting a jig and a minnow when I heard a huge splash slash splash splash.... I looked behind me and two loons were beating the hell out of each other. When they seperated they came swimming straight at me and one of them was bleeding like a stuck pig!!! They swam until they were out of my sight. Not sure what ever happened to that one.

Right before dark I was trolling by one of the islands and I saw a Northern on top of the water swimming and bobbing, I eased up to him and grabbed him behind the head, he was probably 24" or so and he had a 7 inch blue gill stuck in his mouth!!! I pulled the blue gill out and threw both of them back!

What a weird night, I ended up keeping 6 decent slabs a couple of northerns, but I sure got some crazy memories.

Leech you are right there that sounds like one weird night. Glad to here you caught some fish. I ended up working on docks and lifts on Sat and helped a guy put tin on a shed today.

Hiya-

It was so windy Friday night I had waves in my toilet.

Got to the cabin and it was shaking in the wind, went into the bathroom to download some coffee, and there they were. Waves. In the freaking toilet. Walked out to the front of the cabin, and all three of my neighbors' docks were getting torn apart in the wind. We're on the S side of the lake and with the high water they were getting hammered. Spent the next hour fishing dock sections out of the drink and piling them on shore. Carrying dock sections in the wind and trying to keep from getting blown off a wet slippery dock wasn't all that fun. Soaked and cold by the time I was done. I decided not to go fishing Friday night...

Saturday night was actually a lot better than I thought it would be given the weather. Caught quite a few walleyes, mostly small males but a few decent sized fish too. 16-18 feet on a steep break.

Hope the weather's better next weekend. Getting tired of it being lumpy all the time...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Walleyes were going all weekend on Pelican!! Sunrise and Sunset were the best times. And right at 9:00 o'clock!!

Went out last night for my only trip of the weekend. Fished from 6 til 9. Caught 5 eyes kept 2 14-18" the others were 12". Had a mid 20's spit the hook by the boat. That was odd. Fishing deep. 25 ft plus. Lindy, plain hook, shiner.....

Had a tough time with finding the walleyes on sunday, water temp was 53 deg.

But not all was lost, got into a bunch of really nice sized northerns.

This one was 34" and there were plenty more!

P1020294.jpg

Hit Sallie on Saturday and the snot rockets were in rare form We caught about 20 of those slimy devils including one about 9 pounds.

The eyes were slow. We had about 53 degrees and they just had lock jaw. We did boat one at about 9:30 and it was a nice 19-incher that we released. Caught him in about 9 FOW.

With the warm weather this week, the bite can only get better.

so I keep hearing about Bass Harbour on Lida I fish lida quite often and im not familiar with Bass Harbour where is it? also whats a guy gotta do to catch a walleye on that lake?