• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Click Here.

Click Above for 2020 Fishing Reports↑↑↑↑

2009 - 2020 Detroit Lakes - Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports are below ↓↓↓↓ (Over 70 pages of 25 posts per page).

Go ahead and post fishing reports and conditions in this thread.

Lot's of good info below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well.

Thanks.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim Panfish Uran

• Cicada

• paceman

• Chill62

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I meant to post this earlier but here it is.  I was able to take my 3 boys and the sleeper house out last Friday (12th) on an area lake as they didn't have school.  Was able to get the house set up by

Was out friday just north of town.  Got set up at 1:30 and the guy with the bait didn't show up till almost 3.  Dropped two tip ups down right away then set my portable up.  After getting house set up

My son and I went out yesterday afternoon to hunt for late summer crappies, Took awhile to find them as they were super shallow. Tossing plastics into 5-6' on top of mid lake weeds produced limits of

Posted Images

Jim Panfish Uran

South Twin has a decent crappie bite going, some nights are decent some nights are dead. Try to find 18-22 fow and throw the arsenal at them. I've been having luck on waxworms or small small crappie minnows. There have been a lot of people fishing out there and not doing so well. But I just think they don't know what they are doing. HAHA. I've been haveing some 20+ fish nights with more than half of them going back into the drink. I like to keep 11"ers and anything bigger or smaller than that usually go back. I've spilled the beans, hopefully someone else has a tip from there lake.

During the summer months I drive by some of these small ponds and wonder if there is fish in them. So, I tried one of them on Saturday.

Just on the south side of 34 just east past the turn north on 32 towards Rollag I tried a small lake on the map labeled Ranum. Others I have talked to have refered to it as the "Buffalo Pond" since the house next to the lake had bison in their fields at one time. Found it to be about 13-14 feet deep in the 4 spots where I fished.

Rumours had it there were walleye in there but I caught a few small bass and many many many small pike 10-14 inches and most parasite covered (black spots). Did see one about 30 inches or so eyeing my minnow only 5 feet under the ice. Of course she nipped at it and wouldn't take it. Never would have known she was there if I hadn't the Vex on. Clarity allowed me to see to the bottom in 14 feet.

It was fun to try something new. Didn't keep anything but we caught fish. Don't be afraid to try the small ponds that look like nothing would be in them. You just never know...

Finally got out for only the second time this winter. Went to Lizzie. Hard to find a spot since the road is so narrow you really don't want to stop and block it. Caught a little bit of everything except crappies and walleyes. Even caught a tulibee. Fished 26-27 feet of water with shiners and crappie minnow heads on a cicada. I might have been better off trying to find a new job, but with few nice days I couldn't resist and I have until late March before this job goes away.

Good luck I hope you find the right job. Out on south lida last week and it was slow, would have liked to try my normal spots but to much snow to get to them. One 15" eye and a buch of small perch.

Skitterpop what day and time were you out there? I drove by later Saturday afternoon and saw a portable out there. At like 4 o clock

If it was a blue small clam with an orange sled and a green sled then that was me. We packed it up about 4ish so you must have seen us leaving or getting ready to leave. Nobody else was on the lake but myself and my friend. Again this was Saturday the 17th. I think most who saw us as they drove by probably wondered why a house was out there.

I am almost tempted to try it one more time but the snow is horrible on the lake. Maybe fishing after dark would be good since the water clarity was super clear.

I am surprised over 1100 views have hit this dead thread. I didn't know Ranum Lake was so popular grin. Anyone else going to chime in with info on the local bite? I wonder how many more views this will get since this thread is now updated.

Jon Freeman

Skitter,

I just got in off DL and my son and I did well with the gills(4:30-7:00). We managed to bring home 10 and a bonus crappie. None of the gills were bulls but they all measured between 7.5" and 8.5". My son (10) out fished me 3 to 1. He was using waxies and a pimple, I was using gulp waxies(pink and red)with a Genz bug knock-off. We hung around until 7:00 trying to coax more crappies but not a bite. I had fish on my graph off and on and they came up to the bait but wouldn't bite. The last 45min I was using a pink or a black ratso tipped with a waxie.

Like I said, we set no records tonight but they sure did taste good. Buy the way we sorted through about 45-50 fish to take home what we did.

fish-n-fool

Went to Elbow Lake (Becker Co) on Sunday & Wednesday. Only the snakes were biting and the ones we caught had parasites (LOTS of black spots!!) Saw a couple of walleye on the camera but no matter what we used to coax them to bite, just didn't want anything to do with what we offered. Snow is thick on the lake. Only way out is with a snowmobile. Watch for a slush spot on the south end in the middle of the lake.

mnbeavtrapper

This is a spot I would like someone to try pleassee. It is called lime lake and it is west of lake park about 3 miles on hwy 10 then you turn north on a gravel road and go about half mile and it will be on your right the road comes right up to it it is road right of way. You can see this lake from hwy ten it is behind a farm that does pontoon storage.. I trapped beaver in this lake last spring and there were alot of fish stuck in the rushes on the other side of the road where a culvert drained out. There were huge bass very large sunfish, crappies and giant perch 10 to 12 inches long. and walleyes 15 to 18 inches long and a few suckers, but there were no northerns. I fished it when we had first ice this winter about 4 or 5 inches. I used crappie minnows and just a plain red hook. I didn't have any bites but I had a vexilar and I was graphing some fish about a foot off the bottom. I would see them rise to my bait and my minnow would go crazy and then they would sink back to the bottom and disapear after a minute or so. I know I graphed fish and I know what fish were floating there dead that spring. I lost my license due to a DWI so i can't get out and fish. Could someone please give this lake a try and let me know how they do. I'm sure it is gonna turn out to be one of those honey holes that not many people know about. I have trapped this lake for many years and never saw a fish house on it ever. The only reason I saw these fish was due to my late spring beaver trapping.

I'm up for a venture maybe try on Mon. All the lakes I have been fishing have not been produceing any ways. I got time to just sit on the ice and wonder is there any thing there? How big is the pond? When I lived in SD there was alot of ponds that people just happen to come across where there were fish and no one knew about. And boy was there some nice fish in alot of those ponds.

Bak2MN - Where are you from in SD? I lived in Brookings for

8 years and Pierre for 11. Those ponds here and there grow

some huge pannies and bass.

I lived in Brandon for 12 years. Im originally from Red Lake Falls. My wife is from DL. Alot of the ponds I hit down there were huge perch.

mnbeavtrapper

I wasn't going to mention it to any one about this lake but I don't know when I will make it out there to try it again. And I am thinking I should have kept it to myself but I would like someone to try it and please be honest and let me know how you do out there. The lake was about 3 or 4 hundred yards long and it was 11 feet where I was fishing. according to the dnr it's only ten ft deep but my vexilar said 11. Good luck anyone who trys this lake. I give you my word these fish I described earlier were in this lake I have a video of it on my old phone I will try and get the memory card out and see if I can put it in my photo bucket account for you all to see.

mnbeavtrapper

Trust me these were not bullheads. I know it's not very deep but it was full of fish.

BrianLucky13

If it did have fish in it, it wont anymore!!! Sounds like one of them ponds that will be fished out cause someone posted it on the internet!!!

mnbeavtrapper

You guys are right it probably doesn't. In fact I made the whole thing up just to see what everyone would say. Sorry.

Jim Panfish Uran

HAHA!!!!! That's awesome. And i can't believe how many darn packer fans there are around here. Go fish in Wisconsin man wink

Them ponds can go from boom to bust, but u got me curious on a Friday. With the strong winds supposedly coming tomorrow afternoon i'm going to head out in the AM, hope i get a few or i will wish i went and tried Lime. lol

BrianLucky13

Quote:
Go fish in Wisconsin man

As long as we are acting like 2 year olds, maybe you should go fish in Wisconsion man....

Report:

Crappies and sunnies are still biting on Little D, Big D, and Deadshot but the walleyes have gone missing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  It's fall in Minnesota.  Dress warm and catch walleyes!  That is the theme with good fall fishing this past week.  The colder weather has walleyes snapping.  Most anglers anchored up and jigging with an emerald shiner.  Walleyes are relating to bait in anywhere from 15' - 23' of water.  Structure, areas of the lake adjacent rivers / streams and areas in front of bays holding good numbers of fish.  Pike continue to be active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits continues to catch anglers a mixed bag.
      On the Rainy River...   Some commenting this is one of the best runs of emerald shiners up the river in years.  The river is still low, current slow.  More and more walleyes are coming into the river each day.  Best depths anywhere from 7-24'.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  The fish are moving often, try different current seams, flats or holes until you find them.   When you find them, action can be fast.  Don't be afraid to pull crankbaits over flats where fish are spread out and you can cover water.  Four Mile Bay holding walleyes in 10-15'.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Nice smallmouth bass being caught by walleye anglers.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      A nice walleye bite this week up at the Angle.  Jig and a minnow on points and areas with current all good places to start in 13'-26'.  Gold, pink, and glow colors great choices.  Some big pike caught by walleye anglers jigging.  Pike and muskies in bays and off of rock points. 

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      What’s the status of small lakes in the arrowhead? I’m going to Grand Marais this weekend, and the forecast looks pretty miserable 😩 I have a feeling I’m going to be busting through ice to launch my boat. But is it at all possible that some of these little designated trout lakes could be locked up completely? 
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      DNR has a proposal to remove the dam on the Grindstone River, in Hinckley. The reservoir, which serves absolutely no purpose, is about 27 acres, and is nothing but mud and silt. I’m in favor of any and all dam removals! They’re taking comments via e-mail until November 12. If you want to write the DNR, subject e-mail “Grindstone EIS” to [email protected]
    • Hawkem9
      By Hawkem9
      Hey guys, 

Looking for some opinions from those of you who fish the lake consistently.  We take a fall trip every year and have been on the cass chain the last 5 years.  Planning on heading to Vermillion this year.  We have two dates in mind being either the 18-25 of Sept or the 9-16th of October.  Love to be somewhere in the middle but it wont work this year.  We will fish Smallies/wallys the majority of the time and planning to stay on the east side.  Would any of you suggest one of those times over the other?  I am seeing the current weather up that way and its making me a bit nervous about the later dates, but if the fishing is better by mid october will certainly risk some colder weather.  Thanks for any input!
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      So the weather really tanked!! I was hoping to fish until November before winterizing the boat.

Anyone been out...either reservoirs or up Hwy 53? Any idea of when landings start pulling docks...probably on DNR site huh?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great fall fishing this past week.  Walleyes were active with most anglers anchored up and jigging with a minnow.  No surprise walleyes are relating to bait in anywhere from 9' - 27' of water.  Good reports around the lake.  Structure and current areas holding good numbers of fish. Good walleye reports from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'.  Pike continue to be active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits will catch you a mixed bag.
      On the Rainy River...   A strong run of emerald shiners this past week brought more walleyes into the river.  The river is low, current slow.  Anglers reporting groups of fish from Wheeler's Point to Birchdale.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  Try moving hole to hole until you find fish.  Change the angle of your jigging using different weight jigs.  Pull the jig forward against current, let it fall back and bang bottom.  Trolling crankbaits over flats where fish are spread out also effective.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Good reports of smallmouth bass again this week.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Walleyes active this week up at the Angle.  Jig and a minnow on points, areas with current, and bay mouths where there is bait all good places to start in 8'-24'.  With the many islands, lots of spots to fish.  Gold, pink, chartreuse and glow colors great choices.  Crappies in mix, 15-30' adjacent to structure.  Pike are active.  Muskie anglers reporting action trolling cranks or casting jerkbaits in cabbage weed bays.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The traditional fall pattern of a jig bite for walleyes continues on the big lake.  There are various schools of walleyes located across the south shore.  A good place to start is 9-15' or 22-29' adjacent to rivers, creeks and bays.  Anchor up, jig over the side of the boat with a frozen shiner or fathead.  Anglers reporting going through numbers of small walleyes and saugers to catch nicer eaters.  Decent walleye reports also from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'.  Pike are active in bays and along shorelines.
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers catching nice walleyes in the river, not the big numbers yet.  Current on the river and the river itself is low.  Most anglers are jigging with frozen shiners, although trolling crankbaits to find fish still effective for some.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Good reports of smallmouth bass this week.
      Jigging with a minnow on structure with a bit of current in 8-24' effective for walleyes.  Gold, pink, chartreuse and glow colors great choices.  Some crappies in 15-30' adjacent to structure.  Muskie anglers reporting action trolling cranks or casting jerkbaits in cabbage weed bays.  Water temps in the mid 50's. 
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      Heading out to Leech in the cold temps...hoping to stay at least dry. Any reports or bait suggestions? I’ll keep you posted.
    • Snogan
      By Snogan
      Just wondering if anyone else that fishes the Root (especially below Lanesboro) has ever patterned or had any luck targeting sauger/eyes. This is my first year trying for them after hearing whispers for years and I've been surprised with my results. So far I've caught 5 sauger and 4 eyes out of the Root this year, a 17 inch Sauger and a 22 inch eye being my biggest so far. I know the river is a lot better known for trout but if anybody else has had any luck targeting other species I'd love to share reports or tactics. 
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Finally got out fishing this season, long weekend on Ottertail, Vacationland resort. Lots of wind Fri & Sun, Sat fairly calm. Marked lots of fish but slow bite with a few walleye & perch. Crallers, raps, suckers, shad. Day 16 - 19 FOW deep side of weeds and 6 - 9 FOW shallow side of weeds after dark. 61 to 62 deg water temp. Lots of bait balls at 17 - 19 and suspended at 20 - 25 ft in 40 - 150 FOW. Much needed fantastic weekend.
      Pics, multi helix 9 SI - DI - Sonar, cabin lake view, Son, Grandson. Hard to believe the monster perch hit a 3" Sucker.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• FishinCT
      Fished Saturday through Monday on the east end. As Brian said it was brutal weather. Wind wasn’t so bad but the wet snow Saturday and below freezing temps Sunday and Monday made things difficult. Didn’t do well until Monday when we put together a 30+ fish day. Caught more than a limit worth of 14-17” fish. Kept just a couple for a meal. Lots of them in that 10-13 range which bodes well for next year.     Nothing special on the tactics. Caught most of them in one spot. Fish were scattered all over a big mud flat in between islands at 30-35 feet. Jig and lindy caught about the same number of fish. Jig caught a few more of the keeper size fish.    Fish were coughing up what looked like mayfly larvae. Is that common this time of year? Maybe it was something else?
    • MnCowboy
      You mention that if an archery hunter and firearms hunter are together they are considered 2 parties. Is that the same with crossbows, which use an archery tag. Would it be considered 2 parties (and obviously could not help fill each others tags)
    • chucker1101
      Only if you're crazy
    • Darrell Larson
      Skunked Again, heavy wet snow last night been shoveling it I'd say 3"+, what ice was there yesterday is now gone in front of my house anyways, more like a big slushy, 30' beyond is open water again. I have 44 degrees on the deck right now, you should be safe making a trip this weekend. If I'm wrong PM me I send you my address and you can come punch me in the nose.
    • mulefarm
    • DonBo
      Buddy and I were fishing just below Whalan last summer and he caught two keeper sized walleye on a Rappala.  We were pretty surprised.
    • SkunkedAgain
      It's not a very deep lake, so it is all relative. Most of the lake is 30-40ft deep so it is a relatively easy lake to fish from that standpoint. They aren't sliding any deeper than on a bright sunny day in July. There is also not much of a fall turnover to worry about.
    • ozzie
      Great to hear from you Dtro!  It is sad that the participation in forums like this is going by the wayside and it seems we are losing valued members constantly which is sad, but also the way of the world.  Great to hear you are succeeding in your latest adventure, but that does not surprise me, as following you for the past 15 years, I wouldn't expect anything less from you!  I enjoyed the news clip and the excitement on the young girls face as she reeled in her first sturgeon!  Keep doing what your doing and don't be a stranger!!   Take care and stay safe!  Ozzie 
    • smurfy
      came back to civilization this past sunday. was nice tuesday when i got there and got alot of cabin stuff done. wed it rained all day but managed to do inside stuff that needed doing. thursday i finished up yard stuff and did a little hunting. friday finally got 2 grouse 😊 them gonna be good!!!!!!!! sat the kid and i fixed up deer stands but holy moly rockey with that snow was it wet in the woods. finished winterizing the cabin.   for me the weather wasnt cooperative to fish, so......... until there is ice the fish are safe from me!!!!!😜 the deer need to worry though!!!! sure would be nice if this snow melted, the ground needs to freeze up some.
    • Hawkem9
      Better fishing out weighs crappy weather for me.  We are leaning the October dates, seems a fair amount of the resorts on the E side close first week of October however.  I would imagine fish slide deeper on Vermillion as the water cools?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.