• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Joe

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

Chill62

Work is extremely slow and a coworker just bought a few new "Toys" for ice fishing so we figured we would do a mid week trip out to test out his gear. Got set up around 830 finally got heater working around 9.  Fished a deeper basin between shore and an island.  Turned on the graph and the fish were solid underneath us.  He actually thought it was interference on his graph initially.  He took out his MH rod with 10-14 pound braided line on it with a 1/4 oz lead jig and asked what he needed to use for bait...umm you got anything smaller?   I got some 1/8 oz maybe a 1/16 oz jig.  I showed him what I've been using and he asked if I was messing with him.  So I dropped my line down his hole since he had the graph on and proceded to pull up a 10 inch crappie in 1 minute.  He examined my jig and said I don't know if I tied that jig on if it'd go down the hole because my line is soo thick.  Just use mine and I handed him my Power Noodle with a Free Fall on it.  Minute maybe two later he was pulling crappies up.  We proceeded to catch fish almost solid all day but the best bite was between 10-12 and finally around 12:15/12:30 we forced ourselves to take a quick lunch break.  A lot more 6-8 inch gills with a few being over 8 paid us a visit getting thrown back down the hole.  Right before lunch when it was HOT the crappies came through and we had a school of large crappies with a few being over 13 with the biggest being 13.75" that was a hog!

Right away my coworker was using the 4 mm with a Ripper Plastic by Panfish pirate and he didn't believe he could catch fish without bait so he was tipping them with a wax worm till he saw I wasn't using any and was it was saving a lot of time.  He was using a Wonder Glow jig and in the morning a Bubble Gum colored Ripper was the key then in the afternoon we switched to a Chartreuse color and it seemed to make a difference.  I was using a pink and white jig with stripes in 4 mm with the same Ripper plastics.  

At the end of the day he decided he was going to try his stuff.  He took his "Smallest" jig he had which was still about a size 6 or 7 mm and tied it onto his braid and dropped it down with a Ripper.  NOTHING.  He ended up having to put wax worms on it and he finally started catching blue gills.  He caught a few of them then switched back to what he was using and instantly pulled up a crappie.  He kinda proved the line and size of jigs made a difference for catching crappies in clear water.

We had 13.5 inches of ice and 12 inches of it was clear ice.  I did drive my SUV out after verifying my path was safe and the ice still had almost an inch of "Head space" on top so we weren't sinking the ice.  Felt great not having to pull our gear out by hand!

20191218_140801.jpg

20191218_111402.jpg

20191218_110553.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

Chill62

Personal records are meant to be broken and last night it was smashed. Fished all over Becker and Ottertail Counties trying to find big panfish with Jesse Thalmann with Thalmann's Guide Service. At dark I had a huge mark come in and inhale my 4 mm Panfish Pirates Wonder Glow with a Bubble Gum Ripper plastic. It put one heck of a workout on my 32" Yogi Rods LLC Power Noodle. If your looking for a fun trip hit up Jesse and book a trip. If interested in plastics use CHILL5 for discount, get some before your buddy does.

received_626920378051996.jpeg

20191223_104810.jpg

FB_IMG_1577133980501.jpg

FB_IMG_1577133975497.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

woodspliter

Anyone been out since the storm?  What are conditions like?

dayton_1313

Was out on Saturday. We found between 8-12 inches of good clear ice. The problem is the crusty snow layer on top and the slush in the middle. We walked and man do i wish i owned a tracked machine. Once you get off the main path/road it is sloppy and deep.

Fishing was slow but we were also limited on how much we wanted to move around. Don't think i will be taking the truck out this year unless its on a plowed resort road :)

• Thanks 1

IceHawk

Yes our groups fishing up in that area has came to a halt for now. . Conditions are brutal  the snow and slush are a real nightmare to say the least. Hopefully this colder weather tightens things up and the snow settles some. Could be some time or if at all before vehicle traffic happens up there. Maybe in a few weeks LIda will have a road plowed. As for now the Panfish gods win the battle but hopefully soon I'm back for redemption. 😀

• Thumbs Up 2

Chill62

I have not been out but I have been hearing reports and getting pictures from lakes and it does not sound good.  A guide around Henning went out after the storm and saw a water spot and when he went to investigate he dropped all the way through.  There was 10 inches of ice prior to the storm and I pulled his fish house off of that lake with the ranger on the Saturday before the storm.  I am hearing a lot of reports of 4-8 inches of slush but in other lakes 10-14 inches of slush.  Roads that were made prior are usually pretty good if you can find them but the moment you get off of them you are now testing out the height capabilities of your muck boots.  

My hope is that people stay home and let this slush freeze some so it can freeze solid then we can go drive back out there with atv's and side by sides.  I was seeing on some lakes 3/4 ton pickups and tandem axle fish houses out on them.  When I drilled a hole though I only found 10 inches of ice and when we were fishing a half mile away from them our water level started going up and down 3 inches and it was them leaving the ice causing waves that far away.  I haven't driven anything other than my Rav 4 and the Ranger onto the ice so far this year.  

Sorry haven't made posts lately, I got sicker than a dog right before the first of the year and am just now starting to feel better again.  

• Like 1

Rick

We definitely missed you @Chill62. Glad you're feeling better.  Nice report.  Thanks.

Chill62

For anyone wondering what it is like out there on some lakes here are a few pictures I have collected from Facebook over the weekend.  Pickup going through is a guide on Ottertail.  The other two pictures is a public access that had a plowed road then the slush showed up after people using the road.  Out in front of our cabin it looks like a lake but our only hope is that by pushing the snow the slush will freeze up solid and then we can drive on that after this cold spell.  

This weekend I'm throwing around the ideas of fishing southern Minnesota just to avoid the snow and slush.  I have reports of fish biting by Morris and a Women's Anglers of Minnesota event is going on in Cokato area so we might head that way and pray things stiffen up around here.

Pictures...I didn't take them but for safety of others I think the owners wouldn't mind me sharing for people's safety.

Screenshot_20200105-112109_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200105-112111_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200105-193254_Facebook.jpg

• Wow 1

bbfenatic

We were out in the Ottertail area Saturday in a UTV with tracks and it was tough getting around even in that...many times the slush/water was so deep and bogging us down we knew if we stopped we'd never get going again, which was unfortunate because several of those spots were right where we wanted to drop a line.  It was fairly warm Saturday but if the temps were around Zero or below I don't think it would be possible with the build up of ice underneath and in the tracks it would have froze it solid; so thank goodness we had unusually warm temps. At the end of the day we ended up with a couple of limits of nice crappies but we worked for them and the water/slush took most of the fun out of it.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

woodspliter

Thanks for the reports guys!  Now I won't feel so bad if I don't get to go this weekend.

• Haha 1

Chill62
2 hours ago, woodspliter said:

Thanks for the reports guys!  Now I won't feel so bad if I don't get to go this weekend.

I'm volunteering south of St. Cloud to get onto safe ice down there.  I just don't want to tear equipment up around here. In my opinion with the weather forecast it's best to wait one weekend, watch the Bison win and the Vikings lose drink your sorrows away then Sunday recover from drinking your sorrows away.  Let everything freeze up solid and hit it hard on the following weekend.  This cold that is forcasted will help us out so much!  I'm just hoping guys don't go out then accesses and lakes get torn up then it freezes and we have giant ruts to fight rest of the year especially snowmobiles driving around.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Chill62

Well not much of a fishing reports but was on one local lake Sunday. Last week ton of slush this weekend if it had slush it's a brick. If no snow its sugar sand. darn near got stuck when found virgin snow and sank 18 inches. Fishing was slow but fish were just moving around and it was too cold to hole hop. I'll be out next weekend to plow roads to get hard side out. 

Did see a report of 4" ice and 12" slush frozen on star. Stay safe

• Thanks 1

grey ghost

Belated report from the weekend following the New Year. Lots of snow, lots of slush. Ice conditions at that time were not great. About 6-8" of good ice and then layers of water and frozen slush made up the top 6" of "ice". Observed open holes that water was circulating up through that weren't refreezing. Fishing was good though. Lots of nice crappies and bluegills were caught in shallow water but fishing in the deep slush and snow was miserable. Also caught my personal best crappie a 15.5" beast on a jigging spoon and minnow head.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Chill62

Way to go grey ghost!!!  that is a beast of a crappie what did you end up doing with it?  After getting my 15 1/8" over christmas I'm hoping to get a 16 now lol always gotta have goals.  

As for the slush you talked  about I am hearing lots of guys saying all that slush froze up solid in the past week and if it's slushy its new slush pockets.  I'm hoping to get out this weekend and see what I can do to try and get our hard sided house out and if I can set my portable up on another lake or if the wind will be too strong.

• Thanks 1

grey ghost

Thanks Chill! I let it go and plan to get a replica mount. 16" crappie has always been my goal too but this was an awesome fish. Yours was a great fish too.

Thought it would take an extended cold spell to lock all that slush up. Hopefully your reports are right and the lakes have healed up so you can get your house out where you want it. Keep up the great reports.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Chill62

I have only been on one lake (BP) and there was a ton of slush prior to the freeze up and none last weekend driving around with the Ranger.  Buddies have been out to other lakes but are reporting the same thing in our area.  Now up by Park Rapids I'm hearing they are still finding slush.  I don't know if the snow up there was fluffier or thicker but it's helping insulate the lakes better up there and the slush is causing some issues still.  I was originally going to do a Facebook Page get together on Saturday on Pelican Lake but with the wind forecast I'm staying off of that lake and might try getting our perm house out onto BP to get out of the wind.  Times I wish our house was road legal so could take it to the lakes I actually fish at night but it is what it is.  I'm just hoping we don't have huge drifts on the north shore after this storm comes in this weekend because that's where we are at lol.  If I can get out I'll be making about 2 miles of total roads and I'll have a better grasp on what the lakes conditions are going to be like.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bigcat1

does anyone in the perham area or dl stock maggots/spikes?

IceHawk

Genes Sport shop in Perham or Park Region CO-OP in Pelican Rapids otherwise many other places  along the way depending where you are comeing from. Fletchers Bait in Sauk Centre  is another great bait store I like to stop at on way through heading up. Denny is a great guy always willing to help any way he can and has some top notch bait to boot.   But rarely do I buy spikes I always buy in Bulk from Speedy Worm before early ice order 10,000 spikes and split them and the cost with a few other fishing friends.  I Maintain them in a bait fridge by simply regulateing temps and changing out fresh sawdust every so often last for at least a few months. .This would be another option for you and pretty economical  plus you will receive them in a few days. 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thanks 1

Bigcat1

thanks much!

Chill62

Go into Gene's in perham. otherwise gas station by old pamida sells bait (no licenses). 

• Thanks 1

Chill62

Tried big pine today. Plowed out north access. Got onto ice and snow was flowing nicely had speed then started loosing speed and the slush started coming over my plow. Backed up got hung up maybe 150 yards out. Hour half later I finally got myself free. Crossed a 3 inch wide crack and it was shooting up like a geyser. I was wet and cold from hip down. About 14 inches of slush. Got off the ice and called it a day. 

• Wow 1

Chill62

Well we weren't local last weekend but tried ice fishing in Milwaukee harbor. went with a guide and got on the ice at 630 by 655 I was taking pictures of my fish. At 722 buddy was getting pics with his fish and that's when action stopped. fished Sunday from 630-230 and had 4 bites 2 fish. Monday 1 bite no fish. Was an interesting trip.

Going to be fishing locally this weekend then might be scouting a lake by Alexandria the following weekend. 

Reports...obviously second hand. Lake travel is getting better but still random slush pockets. Also hearing more roads being plowed. if you haven't caught on hearing not much for action. very light bite and guys doing ok are using small jigs and cameras help knowing you have a bite. 

20200216_065541~2.jpg

20200216_072245~3.jpg

• l Love It 1