• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

Went out S of DL yesterday morning early in the fog...a little creepy with the ice conditions the way they are and not being able to see 10yds ahead...setup in 26' spot I have...got one big slap right away then nothing for about 45 minutes so moved to another spot I have marked on my gps in 17ft and it was a good move...constant bite both crappies and gills.  Pic of a couple crappies.

IMG_1579.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Deep hole I was using a Lindy Rattlin flyer Red tip with minnow head...when I moved shallower and saw all the activity I put on a horizontal pink tungsten jig with plastic...the skeleton minnow - purple...and both the gills and crappies were hammering that so I never messed with live bait just plastic only after that.

I posted this report when I got back into the office after my weekend of fishing.  My buddy filmed a good portion of our Friday outing.  

Hopefully this works for sharing his video.  We had an absolute blast and we caught a ton of fish and we kept 6 northerns and like 13 crappies.  Hope you guys like.

Cody 

On 1/23/2017 at 9:15 AM, Chill62 said:

Pre fished a lake Friday before taking the girlfriend out on Saturday.  We were 15ish miles NNE of DL.  Friday morning we had a little bit of slush and water on the lake but we had plenty of ice 18-19".  Fished our first hole and caught a few small crappies and very small perch.  Gave it about an hour and nothing.  We were hole hoping constantly and the fish would come into your hole and if you were lucky you landed one then they were gone.  IT SUCKED  Moved to a different part of the lake, steep break from shore to a HUGE flat that went across the lake where there was a sharp break going back up the other side.  Depth was 16-19' and we drilled a ton of holes covering a huge area.  Since we had two guys out there we each put a tip up out and caught around a dozen pike on tip ups biggest was a 29.5" that we kept using medium suckers.  We hole hopped chasing crappies and it was a great day for them.  They wanted a 4 or 5 mm tungstun jig tipped with a soft plastic 3-5 feet above bottom. Crappies were very aggressive and sometimes they would fly up 7' to attack your jig as you dropped and they would miss your jig!  Was a blast.  We ended up keeping 12 or 13 crappies but we probably caught 200-250 easily during the day.  Blue gills weren't really active but we caught maybe 100 blue gills through the whole day all went back.  Highlight of the day was catching a 30" pike on 4# test on a tungstun jig.  Took almost 15 minutes to get him, my buddy was able to capture him on video as I was trying to land him.  When I was fighting him is when we got the 29.5" on tip up about 20 yards away.

We came back to the same spot on Saturday with my girlfriend and my buddies young daughter.  Water was very deep on the ice but the lake wasn't "Flooding" it just had standing water if that makes sense.  Our slush didn't even melt over night in our holes.  Crappies were a little harder to catch but the blue gills were on fire!  Dropped camera down right away and could see schools of crappies and blue gills swimming around.  We were hole hoping getting a few fish here and there but they would fill your graph up and instantly gone, we found out why later.  We weren't fishing for 10 minutes and I hear the girlfriend say "I GOT A BIG ONE" I looked over and yes she did.  Came to help her out and she landed a 19" Largemouth on a tungsten tipped with soft plastic.  She was soo excited.  I went back to fishing and a FEW minutes later I hear "I GOT A BIG ONE" yes she did!  She landed a 17 and 19" bass in 11 minutes!  A little later fishing slowed down big time and she went into the fish house to play with her new camera.  WOW is that clear!  Well we decided to eat in the fish house and we would see schools of dozens of blue gills come through and then they would fly out of the area, well here comes MR. Pike swimming through.  I always thought they didn't school up but at one time we had 6 pike under our portable fish house.  They didn't want anything to do with spoons or tip ups all day but would come into the area and all the panfish would be gone.  Then once the pike would leave the blue gills arrived within seconds.  Was very cool to see.  We maybe landed 150 crappies on Saturday keeping like 3 but we probably landed over 200 blue gills and it would have been more but we cheated and used the camera in the fish house to be picky with our catches.  Needless to say the girlfriend had a blast.

Best part was that the first day there wasn't a person within a mile of us.  On the second day a guy on a ranger came flying across the lake (2 miles plus) at 40 mph right at us with his head out the door like Ace Ventura stops puts his beer on the tailgate and drills a hole grabs his beer back into the cab and drives ahead 40 feet and repeats this about four times.  Each time he was within 5 feet of a hole we had drilled already.  Fished for about 20 minutes then took off at 40 mph and leaves.  Didn't say a word to us the whole time. Had to chuckle as he took off across the lake heading back to shore he hit a hard spot along the way and got the ranger up onto two wheels and it didn't slow him down the rest of the way back to shore.

Take away from what we found out

Crappies preferred soft plastics Glow Pink was hot color but Glow Green worked also on a 4 or 5 mm horizontal jig.

Bluegills preferred 3 and 4 mm horizontal jigs tipped with wax worms.

Pike were hitting on Medium Suckers on tip ups 2-3 feet off of bottom but we also had them hit half way down the water column. 

Tight lines and be safe at the accesses everyone!

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably be out to my spot this weekend BB if you're free, stop on by.  Ill be out in a one man and my old man will probably be set up in his pop up.  Gonna hunt em down!

Ill bring your bucket just in case!

Dr...I tried it last weekend for a couple hours...nothing....just a zillion perch on the bottom but I did not drill around much...just a few holes from 25 then up to the hump at 15'...there was one ice castle right near the spot and they must not have been getting any either cuz one of the guys hopped into his pickup . drove back towards the access and started drilling around...might be just any early ice and late ice spot.  Have you ever drilled out the deep basin close by to try and find them mid-winter?

if you see those perch again, move immediately or be prepared for all the 15-19" pike a guy could ever want.  But those hammer handles are down now.  Hope to see ya out there, Ill shoot you a text tomorrow evening.

No slabs either day.... Drilled a ton of holes, who knows, maybe they are over that 60' hole.  Was able to coax these big girls, the one on right hit a gill pill with 2 gulp euros, I could feel it ever so gently suck it in when she bit, hook right at the lip too.

pike.jpg pike2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Fished a smaller lake west of DL this last weekend.  Saw tons of crappies and gills on the camera but they were super hesitant to bite.  Ended up catching a few nice crappies with the biggest being a beautiful 15"-er that went back down the hole.  The crappies that we did catch were all on a waxie and you really had to work above them to get them to bite.  I was in a sleeper house with the kids so not as mobile as normal, but it was a good weekend to be out there!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had to travel to Georgia last week so that affected my fishing for the previous weekend.  Flew out on Sunday landed on Thursday night was on the ice by noon on Friday.  Fished my honey hole and heard the crappies were biting out deeper but the blue gills were up shallower.  Drilled holes from 15-35 feet.  Got out to the 34' hole and graph was lit up with fish.  Dropped jig down and started catching 4" bluegills and 5" crappies non stop.  I didn't catch anything bigger!  I was laughing each time I hooked one.  Started hole hopping after that and was catching some huge gills 15-19' around my portable so I said screw it and hopped into the fish house to stay warm, wind was starting to pick up.  Fished till almost 6 pm but about 5 the fish just quit showing up.  threw back about 6-11" blue gills they were all in one big school.  I did cry in my house though, had a huge blue gill on and my line broke at the top of the hole and he was huge.  So not only did I lose the fish but I lost a prototype jig we were working on and I don't have anything like it in my tackle box.  I ended up getting a few crappies mixed in with the crappies but nothing big.

Saturday we fished north of town a ways and we were on the blue gills all day.  Was fun to catch a bunch but average size was around 8" all went down the hole.  The pike wouldn't leave us alone and we ended up catching a few on jigs but they wouldn't bite the sucker minnows around the portable.  We ended up getting three bass throughout the day.  One was goofy he didn't have the front dorsal fin so that was unique.  Girlfriend was happy because we were catching stuff the whole day.  Lake had a lot of activity when it was slushy and soft and as a result please drive slow across the lakes.  The little snow we've gotten since has filled in the tracks and you cannot see them and they are rough as heck.  Coming off the ice we drove 5-7 mph and had a guy riding our bumper coming out untill he hit a cross trail and was air born.  

Might try this weekend for tuilibees in the early morning on Saturday if I can get people up that early. LOL

• Thumbs Up 2

Fished saturday down by vergas chasing tuilibees.  Tried a new to me lake so had some growing pains right away.  First one was on the ice around 7:30.  Fished till 10:15 and we had 17 on the ice.  One buddy stayed out and fished till noon and he got 10 more in the mean while.  They had really nice size and can't wait to have them on the smoker.  We got a bunch around 19-20" biggest being almost 21" and 3.8 pounds.  Was a lot of fun.  We were using flashers with Kastmasters or Swedish Pimples (Gold/Silver) with a 14-16" drop down to a 4 or 5 mm jig.  White seemed to be the better jig color so I'll be trying that next weekend if I can get out. 

Sunday we spent the morning getting the permenant house off of the lake since the nephew was around and he's the main one to fish out of it.  Got it off the ice and tried a new to us small lake.  Graphed a few but they ended up being small perch and very few perch.  Switched lakes in the afternoon and fished 2:30-4:30.  Drilled some quick holes (4) and started fishing and instantly had marks down there we were in 31 fow.  Caught 3 very quick crappies and then they were a little harder to catch.  Landed a big one at the end and he was 14" long.  Fished for about an hour of only catching little guys and we decided to call it a day.  Fishe wanted a very small jig 3 mm in size.  Girlfriend was using a bigger jig and didn't get as many hits.  

All three lakes we fished had a ton of ice on them.  When we were coming off of the big lake with the fish house it was good in the morning but the pot holes were getting really big in the afternoon.  Hopefully the rain and 50 degree weather holds off since I have a huge group of pro staffers coming up last weekend of walleye season to fish in the area.

Tight lines and remember ice safety please!  Majority of the vehicles were driving nice and slow but a few were driving 30+ mph out there.  We kept it below 10 the whole time and if I remember right 22 is the magical dangerous speed for vehicles infront of the speeder and behind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fished this weekend around Vergas for Tuilibees and ice conditions were loking good till sunday mid day.  The public access are getting chewed up quickly and PLEASE use caution going onto a lake if you are driving.  The next 24 hours will not be friendly for our accesses and sadly if someone is going to fall through it's going to be right out in front of one.  I fished Big Pine on Sunday and found a hole that had been created 4" and I could shove the handle of my ice scoop down 24" without a problem.  It wasn't there when I parked 3-4 hours earlier.  Fishing in the area was slow but fish were very curious and chasing lures.  Saw a bunch of guys our chasing crappies and with how quickly they were moving they weren't having much luck.  We found them on big pine and they were very lathargic.  Saw them on camera and they were barely moving around.  Thought with the water running down the holes they'd be feeding like crazy and that wasn't the case.  We caught a decent amount of tuilibees nothing like last weekend but a ton of SMALL ones.  Few a bunch back down the holes.  I'll be hitting it hard this up coming weekend but I'm using a four wheeler to drive around and I'm hoping Wednesday-Friday morning is going to freeze up hard enough to make it safe.  I have 20-25 guys coming up for a pro staff get together so need to find lakes to try out and explore.

Tight Lines and PLEASE STAY SAFE!

Hoping things button up with the colder night time temps later in the week...all the crappies I have been getting lately have been shallow....and I'm talking even on edges of pencil reeds in that 8ft depth.  IMO they are acting like late March panfish, very aggressive and seem to have started the migration towards their spawning grounds.  I'll be out catching crappies even if I have to walk out...who knows...maybe mother nature will throw us a another curveball and it will get real cold again in a couple weeks. Good Luck!

Maybe that's my problem, I'm not trying shallow enough.  Good report and hopefully I'll get a good report after my four day fishing outing this weekend.  Hoping accesses stay safe enough.  Wednesday night around 22-23:00 is supposed to start freezing and other then a few hours on Thursday and a few hours during the day on Monday we will be below freezing the next 10 days.  I just hope as its freezing people are not out there rutting up the ice and it can freeze smooth for safer travels. 

BB did you do better with minnows/spoons/jigs/wax worms?

Chill....pink plastics or waxies on a small horizontal jig...Lindy Tungsten Toad....good luck this weekend...can't wait to hear the report!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the tip!  I haven't actually caught crappies lately and I'm getting sad!  I'm excited for the weekend and hoping we get the guys on the ice.  It's a little nerve wrecking when the owner of the jig company that your a pro staffer for is bringing a vehicle full of people with him and one is a custom rod manufacturer!  The request was Tuilibiees, perch, crappies and gills, maybe walleye/pike.  hopefully we get them on the fish.

What a heck of a weekend!  I think I need a vacation from my vacation!  I burned 2.5 tanks of gas on my auger this weekend and it was just one of four that was drilling holes this weekend.  We had 4 guys from NY, 3 from IL, 2 from WI, 2 from MI, 1 from IA, and 4 of us from MN all out fishing this weekend.  Fished Friday-Sunday using headlights to drill holes in the morning and using headlights to come off the lake at night!  Fished for Tuilibees in the morning and I think everyone was shocked at how big and how hard they fight when hooked.  They were pretty touchy and didn't seem to active, if you got one solo mark you rarely had a hook up 10% of the time if you were lucky.  If you had 2 marks the chances were probably closer to 50%.  They liked rainbow Kastmasters with a drop jig tipped with wax worms.  Fished 2 days on a perch lake in the area and did really well on them there.  They preffered the saddles/flats between the holes and a few were caught up shallow on points.  Walleyes, pike and bass were mixed in the bag and sadly on this lake the gills and crappies were not to be found.  Fished one day on a little lake up north and caught a TON of bluegills and crappies.  It was so much fun watching these guys pulling up the fish and they'd instantly break out there phones and cameras for selfies and pictures and then drop the fish back into the lake.  This lake was a giant flat on a finger of a lake and we fished from shoreline to shoreline across it.  Sadly on both lakes the fish seemed to die about 5 pm both days.  We went chasing big pike one evening  and had a few flags but nothing big came out.  I was very jealous because I've caught 1 walleye ALL ice season and 3 guys got two each within 10 minutes each!  I've got to be doing something wrong!  FYI 4 of them were caught on a tungsten jig tipped with wax worms!  All in all it was a great weekend.  Rarely did we see people out Friday-Sunday.

Monday morning we were going to meet on the ice and when I got out to the tuilibee spot I saw a vehicle and was shocked since I've been the first on one the ice each morning.  Get there drive up to it thinking it was a buddy and realize 30 feet away it wasn't.  Felt like a jerk so went and appologized and the guy came unglued on me.  Told him they had similar vehicles and that this was the exact place we were to be meeting but I drove up to him to tell him he was off on his spot by 300 feet.  He calmed down when I told him I was the person who had drilled the 200 holes in the spot on Friday and Saturday morning.  I started drilling holes and about 20 minutes later he came up to me so I shut my auger off.  He appologized for getting mad and asked where he should drill holes and I told him that we were going to have a large group come out and he'd be welcomed to join and I pointed him in a direction.  He was awesome enough to help drill holes and we got him on fish almost instantly.  Sadly the spot was SLOW and another guy went exploring holes across the lake and when he found fish we packed up and I asked him "YOU COMING WITH???" and away across the lake all of us went.  He was fishing his traditional daredevil technique and we gave him some tips and what we were using and soon he was putting them top side with us.  The pro staffers all left so it was just the three of us fishing and in that spot we had 3 doubles and 1 tripple!  Was a blast fishing with him and getting to know him.  Around 11 the fishing slowed down so we were going to switch lakes for another spot and he asked "Can I invite myself with to the new lake?" sure follow us over!  We had a blast all day fishing.  Moral of the story is try to be nice to each other I felt like the largest JERK in the world and tried to appologize and I know he got mad because some Jerk came in on him out there but after we both appologized we had a blast.  He was excited because he has fresh fish for the smoke house.  I think he caught around 6-8 big boys and was excited since biggest ones he's ever seen before.  We caught around 20 ish big boys and about 20 smaller ones on another lake.  Very Light Bite!

Long story short.

Blue Gills were in the flats

Crappies were not in the flats! Few mixed in but not many

Perch were where they normally are but the big boys were not to be really found  

Pike were hit and miss, thought they'd be feeding with the increase flow of water I was wrong.

Walleyes were up with the perch.

Tuilibees were in the deep holes.  Best luck in holes over 50'

• Thumbs Up 1

Chill....overall seems like a decent weekend with a bunch of guys who love to get out and explore...way to go!  

As for me...with the colder temps the crappies were not as shallow but had moved out to the first break in that 13' depth.  I am finding weed growth already and they we tucked in the weeds.  As soon as it warms up again I hope to find them real shallow like they were the previous weekend...good luck!

Sounds good.  When we chased gills and crappies we were from about 10-20 feet and we didn't find a bunch but a few were mixed in the group.  I haven't been targeting them yet but I'm hoping to soon.  Chasing tuilibees have been eating up a big part of my days.

Everyone says they stink and they slime up your hole and why would you want to catch them to me all the time.  The fish I have caught aren't slimy and honestly I think a northern pike is slimier and stinks more then a tuilibee.  So I don't know if its the lakes that I'm fishing that they don't stink or I don't have a sense of smell but I'd rather catch them then a stinking pike lol.  We were catching a few pike mixed in the tuilibees the last few trips and we also got a few big walleyes to bite also.  Don't know why in 80 feet of water suspended they'd bite a wax worm.

I'd have to agree the times I've targeted them they don't stink or get the hole all slimy. Pike are the worst.

• Thumbs Up 1

Got out just on Sunday, we had to put our dog down this week so we kinda took it easy on Saturday.  Went out tuilibee fishing first light.  Drilled holes for my friends that were coming out had some random guy drive right up to me and throw buckets out of his truck and sat down with his grandkids.  I said I have holes drilled there and he's like oh awesome!  UMMM OK thanks for asking to fish 20 feet from my vehicle.  They were loud as heck throwing around the buckets all morning and they didn't catch a fish. We tried to stay away from them and we caught 8 or 9 between four guys but they were all 2-3 pounds.  We fished till 11:30 then took off for Chinese Dragon.  After over eating I went and hit a small lake I like for panfish.  VERY SOUPY out there and water was flowing down the holes.  Drilled a few holes otherwise I used holes that were still open peole fish the other night.  IF water was flowing down the hole I caught fish down them.  WEIRD!!!!!!!  Was really slow till those clouds came in mid afternoon but once the sun hit the clouds the fishing picked up.  Was using my favorite custom Shoehorn Jig in metalic colors tipped with a wax worm.  They wanted a very slow presentation and 99% of the time they hit it as it was dropping down.  Probably caught 75-100 gills but only about 6-8 crappies.  Ended up keeping about 16 blue gills and 3 crappies when all said and done.  A buddy came out right before dark and was using a small spoon and was catching crappie after crappie so maybe bigger presentation was key for them.  We had best luck from 17-22 fow and I don't know if it was coincidence but once the clouds came in they started biting.

Ice conditions...lot of water running down the holes yesterday.  Shores looked good and it seemed soft as I was drilling but there was still 18" plus out there on the two lakes I fished.  It's supposed to freeze up good this week but there will be a ton of damage from yesterday and today.

Was able to get out Saturday for crappies and planned on hole-hopping, but MAN was it windy.  Ended up fishing in a hard sided house so didn't move at all.  Didn't catch anything but a bass until about 5:30.  Then we picked up 11 keeper crappies and threw some smaller ones back.  Caught everything in 25 fow with a minnow.  I think with the wind they were very timid and every fish came on a deadstick with a bobber.  Couldn't get them to hit on the jigging stick.  On Saturday I'm guessing we had about 19" of good ice.  There were a couple of ice castles still out and about 8 trucks.  

Catching up on sharing some pics of recent outings chasing Crappies/Gills, actually gills and those 2 eyes just got in the way! LOL First pic is with a few guys during that warm spell end of Feb and we got them real shallow, second pic was couple days ago (Saturday) with a couple of the bunch I caught and they were a little deeper; third pic was yesterday (Sunday) and they were shallow again. All the crappies were 11" minimum with a some in that 12-13.5" range.

20170218_181201.thumb.jpg.e10e1999b0fd93cc6d547ead28887efc.jpg

20170304_151850_1488823144883.thumb.jpg.1e0fae2f3cfc046c4310d966ca34f6d4.jpg

20170305_170523.thumb.jpg.5441c921a96564407408712497c75d07.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Made it out this weekend and the summary was BURRR that was cold!

Safety first!  I fished two lakes and drilled a ton of holes ice looks awesome still!  There are some freaky looking spots that must have been lower but they still had 18-22" of ice in them.  We built a lot of ice over the weekend.  One access did start having an ice heave that has not been there for the past month.

Back to buisness end...Ummm fishing was slow.  Saturday took a bunch of rookie fisherman out and due to the cold and wind they stayed in the portables.  We had three graphs and two cameras for 6 people so they were content sitting in the houses and watching the fish.  Water temp at bottom in 21' was 41.3 degrees, three weeks ago it was 38 and change.  We also saw weeds growing up already and some were 4-6" long!  Drilled probably 50 plus holes in a spot I have done good a few weeks prior and all the fish came out of three holes.  Nothing big but I caught about 40 bluegills all went back, a few crappies, and two bass, lost one northern.  Blue gills were active but skidish at same time which was hillarious.  They'd fly up to see your jig then fly away if it got too close to them lol.  We fished from mid morning to late afternoon.  We did drive out there with my Rav 4 but we left the pickups on shore just in case for safety sake.

Sunday I met up with some guys and we chased tuilibees right away  in the morning.  Holes were freezing over quickly!  Marked a few before sunrise and only managed to catch one and had two bites I missed.  Only saw on the graph 2 maybe 3 schools come through.  Had two guys come out with a wheeler and a trailer drive up inside of our holes we had drilled and set up there house and drill holes without saying a word.  Guess we weren't going to be using those holes he parked ontop of and set up right next to any more.  Sadly this is the third time these guys have done this in about 4-5 weeks.  We were the only ones on the lake and there were 4-5 holes people had been fishing.  Tried 3 different holes across the lake and graphed a few but none were chasing.  We ended up with 3 between 4 of us.  Very slow.  We fished till noon when the snow hit us.  Boy did a hot breakfast feel good at noon when we came to town for lunch/breakfast.  Was really mad because my Monster was a frozen popsicle when I was really needing it on the way home from the lake lol.

This weekend they are talking warm weather again and since we had 18-22" on all the lakes i found I would expect there will be a bunch more people up this weekend hitting local lakes.  Every single group I ran into that actually stopped and said hi and was nice was from southern minnesota where they wanted to get one more fishing trip in before they break out the boat.  I plan on hitting it one or two times next/this upcoming weekend and sadly it might be my last big weekend before my busy season at work starts.  I'll be down in the Perham/Dent/Vergas area chasing tuilibees in the morning for sure and maybe hitting big pine up in the afternoon for crappies if I can find them. 

Stay safe and check those ice conditions.  Rivers are opening up large areas at inlets and outlets of lakes.

Went out for a short while Saturday morning...found crappies in a secondary basin closer to the spawning area.  Pic of the few I kept...nice 12-13"....let one 14.5" go and caught plenty of smaller ones...and left fish on the screen as I was packing up....had about 15-16" of just OK ice but it is definitley softening up.

20170318_120228.thumb.jpg.e6e6e780972b7a66492cc5dc16e97127.jpg

I was able to get out Saturday afternoon in a hole I've been doing fairly well at.  Took awhile to find the fish. When I did find the fish they were very hard to get to bite.  As BB said, maybe moving and staging closer to shore??  I had 15"-18" ice, but the top few inches is getting rotten.  The 50's and rain yesterday didn't help either.

Fished Saturday morning on a new lake that was 62 acres for tuilibees.  Navionics didn't even have a countour map for the lake lol.  Found the deep hole and instantly had fish down there.  Caught probably 10 in 45 minutes but they were all 8-10" long.  After we figured they were all the same size we drove to Long and drove by the east side and saw a huge group of wheelers out there along with one pickup.  Went to access but couldn't find tire tracks from the pickup.  We didn't have a wheeler so changed lakes and walked 0.3 miles out to the spot.  Felt bad because everyone was all set up where we wanted to so set up off of the group.  Caught 9 in 2 hours there but they were 13-15" long.  Thought it was funny because people were complaining about not getting anything as they were leaving and the closest group as they packed up I got 4 lol.  Came home took a nap and was going to fish near the cabin by perham in the afternoon since the girlfriend had my vehicle let dogs out quick as I got dressed and I heard them yelp.  Skunk!  No fishing Saturday afternoon for me!

Sunday morning got out to a local lake near the cabin since I drove the wheeler over and fished for tuilibees.  Graphed a ton had ONE bite and it was about a 12" tuilibee.  Let her go.  After that they quit chasing and they quit showing up on the graph.  Switched lakes and started fishing a crappie hole I've hit a few times.  Ton of 4-6" crappies!  Guy that was near me told me they wanted crappie minnows on a bobber not jigging.  I didn't have minnows and didn't have a bobber so I just held the jig still and landed two bigger ones (13 & 14).  Wind was picking up too strong for my liking so headed for shore.  Ice still looked good for all things considered.