• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

Buzzed out Saturday evening. The plan was to fish pretty late but my son got sick so we pulled the pin after about 30 minutes but before we did I was fortunate enough to land this 27" on 4 pound test while crappie fishing smilefull-5079-46876-27eye2014.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been finding the crappies in their usual summer haunts. Deep weededges in the last couple hours of daylight, I've been just taking the kids out letting them flip out slip bobbers with my favorite ice jigs, and slapping a crappie minnow on. The old tried and true method smile

full-11084-47481-10552583_48510711163387

full-11084-47482-10532865_48461482834976

Went out to Lida yesterday and chased down some Crappies. Once we found them they were plentiful (well over 50) but the two of us only managed 10 total that went over the 11" minimum; many in that 10.5" to 10 7/8" length that had to go back. Found them in 8-10' on the weed edge and caught them jigging plastics. No sunnies which surprised me and just a couple pesky rock bass which normally can be a real nuisance out there.

Went back out to Lida, brought my nephew along since he does not get to fish much. Windy day had the crappies more scattered than last time out but we caught a bunch and did manage 6 keepers over the 11" minimum. Nephew with a pic of a couple of the 6.

full-39626-47641-austincrappielida.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing has been pretty darn good lately up near my area trolling, casting, jigging.. It's all been producing!

full-11084-48018-10352958_49397115074746

full-11084-48019-10561670_49364265411365

full-11084-48020-68909_493071024170813_6

Agreed Jim, This awesome summer weather has made fishing super enjoyable and the fish are cooperating as well... full-5079-48027-13.5crap2014.jpg

full-5079-48028-jacksunset2014.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I posted a thread about ice thickness got a few replys but not many. Hows the fishing been and how is the ice in the Detroit Lakes area? Lets get back to making this an ice fishing thread.

Found some nice crappies the other day kept 8 between 12-14" and caught others too small to keep. Suspended at 22', they seem to already be in the mid-winter basin areas...have had little luck in early ice shallow spots I know of.

full-39626-51798-2014_12_0516.58.56(640x

well we did good on some 2lb slabs was fun to see my buddys going crazy over them. i think it was more fun watching them.http://s291.photobucket.com/user/Tullies/media/brettsphone161.jpg.html

Are they driving out there? Buddy walked out there last weekend felt it was safe enough ice to drive but didn't want to take his pickup out there. I have a Rav 4 and it's pretty light but don't know the lake that good. Was thinking of going to west side

Finally got out yesterday. Went to Lida and only caught one smallmouth and one crappie. For the most part, the fish were moving very slowly. The crappie was the only hard hit. Missed a few others, but overall slow. 20 feet of water. Smallmouth came on crappie minnow and crappie came on cicada.

Went to Lida on Saturday Afternoon. Got set up at 2pm and caught 2 sunnies right away. Then didn't see anything on camera with exception of 1 bass, 2 northerns, and the ever present 3" perch until 3pm. I moved 50 feet to the south into 16' at 3:15 and that's when the bite began. Hot and heavy aggressive bite. Left at 4 with a few nice meals. Never saw a crappie on camera and a small crappie minnow on a deadstick was never touched. All came on a white tungsten jig with waxie. Ice was 15-16".

Been on a few mean bites in the last week, the crappies are putting the feedbag on around the Naytahwaush area, tons of fun chasing these fish on ideal ice! 14-18" seems to be the normal ice thickness in my area.

full-11084-52008-image.jpg

full-11084-52009-image.jpg

My daughter was home from AZ for a couple days and had never been ice fishing so I took her out and she took tons of pics to show her AZ friends what it is all about. We managed to get a bunch of decent crappies.... pic of a couple she caught.

full-39626-52037-erikacrappies.jpg

Nice fish guys. I had a couple of vacation days to burn before the end of the year. Spent all time on Lida. Christmas afternoon I got a bunch of largemouth and a couple of crappies. Friday in about the same spot, I got a dozen bluegills and another bunch of largemouth. Saturday, I hit another spot and caught seven walleyes, two over the slot and five keepers. I missed another five at the bottom of the hole (kinda frustrating) and should have been done by noon. Had a guy walk up to my house and ask to borrow my cell phone. He had walked a mile and a half or so and couldn't get to his phone since it was in his Ice Castle and it's back end was under water. He tried to cross a pressure ridge and found some thin ice. He eventually got it out without losing everything. Sunday was far different. Only caught one crappie, one largemouth, and a bunch of really small perch.

full-1946-52039-005.jpg

10" bluegill, photo'd, then slipped into the hole to fight again.