• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

Hey bak2man - it was nice meeting you on Bad Medicine last friday. Our weekend on bad medicine was about on par with yours. We didn't have any trout luck either, but I seen a few caught early in the mornings. We caught quite a few smallmouths and had a 6-7# northern near the boat before it cut the line. We ended up packing up fairly early on saturday and running to cotton lake where we had better luck.

Decided to try Lizzie one last time while I could put in on Crystal and go through Rush. That option will close next Saturday as you cannot travel by motor on Rush once waterfowl season opens. No walleyes, but smallmouth and northerns were biting. Finished with a couple of hours on Crystal. One huge bullhead (first of the year) and a bunch of tiny northerns. Not exactly fun when you're using $8 per dozen redtails.

heading to beers lake tomorrow wondering if there is much of a walleye or panfish bite going on. never fished it before any help would be great. Thanks!

It think it's more of a bass/muskie lake but does have some panfish. Don't think it is much for eyes.

Scouted a shore spot last night. No walleyes, but some nicer northerns have moved in. Got a 27" and a 35".

Yep, my brother's help couldn't make it to work today, so I helped him out and took the rod and reel with me. Stopped there tonight at sundown. Only caught one largemouth bass. Did see a few sheephead in the channel. Can't remember if that's good or bad.

Me and a buddy went out yesterday evening and got 12 eyes from 15-25". Nice night to be out, hopefully the bite only gets better.

The walleye bite is shallow shallow on area lakes right now. Well it can be, typical fall patterns are what's going on right now.

South Twin was producing walleyes in as shallow as 3 feet of water, right up against the rushes. Casting cranks over the weed beds is a good tactic to try from what I've been hearing.

Big C..

was on this morning early till about 2pm..most of the eyes were caught in 30', one nice (20") and the rest small..overall good day on the lake...water temp surface was 53 average...

Steve

Went out last evening and 2 of us got 9 eyes and lost a couple, fish were 15-20", fishing 4-7ft.

If I don't get my stupid trailer lights figured out, I will look forward to ice fihsing, otherwise, there's lots of things I'dlike to try first.

I'll be out in the morning, dispite the cold and wind. At least it will be sunny and we should be able to figure out where the slabs are trying to hide.

dairyman,

I have not been to Detroit Lakes since we lived in fargo years back,let me know if the fish start to bite there in your shop and I will be right over,LOL!

Spend 6 frozen hours on the lakes today. A few northerns hit on the lindy rigs but the walleyes must have eaten enough snow flakes so they weren't hungry.

Finally got out with Leechbait after 3 weeks of trying to get together and two cancelled fishing appointments. We fished a couple small, scenic lates deep in the White Earth Reservation witht the primary target being crappies and walleyes. Hit the 1st lake around 11am, worked pretty much the whole lake and out to 22 fow but didn't look for deeper water. Pulled out at 2pm and headed out to another lake and worked the entire shoreline from 18 fow on in to the reed line with only a few snakes and perch. Since it wasn't going shallow to mid depth I suggested we troll out towards deeper water and finally stuck some fish around 4pm. We ended up with about a dozen nice slabs from 9-12" in 30-34 fow. All fish were caught within 1 foot of the bottom which is a little different approach for crappies than I am used to. We probably should have tried the same on the 1st lake but it never crossed my mind. Bites felt like dead weight, but a few were hard thumps. No walleyes to speak of and we were sure we would bump into a few. Caugh most of the crappies on an 1/8 jig with a 3" Gulp minnow.

Nice to finally get together Leech, we'll do it again soon.

Yep, that was fun. Even though the line guides were freezing, somehow the minnows found there escape from the flow&troll bucket, and it took forever to find the pattern, I still call it a productive day. Any day on the lake is better than sitting on my butt at home.

Glad we could get out. We'll have to give her another shot before ice!

I will have to get back over to the Detroit Lakes area for some ice fishing this winter,have not been over that way since Jan of 01,and that's too long.

Was out on Big C yesterday from 9 till 2pm..3 small eyes..water temp avg was around 52..all of the fish were caught in 30 to 32 ft..riggin was the presentation..no hits on jigs..

weatherman fooled us again..never did see the sun until back in Fargo..

oh well..heading to Pine Falls on Wed..for a real chance of a big fish..and cold weather..

Steve

My son and I were able to sneak out and hit Big C last night from 5-7pm. Caught 3 walleyes 15-17" and lost a few more. Fished 3 different spots from 10-30' with 24-26' being the best for us.

Saw several other boats out there and would love to here how they did if they FM'ers.

Rigging w/ 4-5" redtails. Didn't have enough time to really try much else. Weeds don't seem to be even close to laying down yet. Tried a longer 10' snell but too much fighting w/ the weed cover to make it an efficient way to go. Switched to a shorter snell and things perked up.

Fished Island yesterday. There was one other rig at the access, so I thought at least I'm not the only nut out there. I was shocked to see that I was the ninth boat on the lake. Caught seven walleyes and two northerns. Both northerns were decent size and only two walleyes were big enough to keep. First time I caught walleyes on Lindy rigs on this lake. 12-17 fow on rainbow chubs.

7 of us spent 3 days on Island and fishing was awesome.

We averaged 30-45 fish per day and kept nothing over 20" and nothing under 16. This was our 22cnd consecutive fall trip to the lake starting in 1986. We never had redtails or we would have caught even more fish. All we could get at Delaneys or Northland was creek chubs and suckers and Rainbows.

Big fish for the trip was 30" and 9.4 lbs what a beauty.

and as a bonus the ducks were back in decent numbers.

We already have out yr 23 reservations made.

Don't take this wrong guys but PLEASE, be selective about what you keep in this lake there are fewer and fewer fish every year that are the 20-28 in class fish. And there are two retired CO's that fish the lake alot.

See ya next year.