• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

in my opinion!!! to each there own. i just need more ice 17-18 inches to feel comfortable, thats all. why was that you out there????? and i said maybe 14 i didnt measure.

Wasn't me, just wondering why you were calling someone names that was on ice that is safe even in the DNR guidelines. Just because you need 18 inches doesn't mean others that don't go by your code are idiits

• 6 months later...

the flies musta carried off all the puter keys up there. grinlaughcrazy not much news coming in. wish I had time soon to make a trip. madcry

No shortage of skeeters and biting fly's that's for sure.

Still decent reports coming in from the walleye lakes in the area, mainly rig/crawler or leech is working best.

Gonna hit Pokeg and ? the next 2 nights and see what happens.

Brian

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I tried Deer Lake this past Wed. night.

We walked out from a friend's cabin on the NW side of lake.

We ended up w/ 2 3-4 lb gators and a 15" walleye. My buddy lost a nice ? something on a tip up.

9" of ice w/ a nasty looking pressure ridge west of the 1st small island, running north to south east.

I saw 4-5 other houses out there too.

Brian

haven't been on the ice yet! cry this work thing is getting in the way! I did run to the cabin before heading over to grand rapids last Monday. drove down the access and there had been a spear house off the access. not much snow. drove down to Jessie access there where a dozen houses out there with 2 trucks on the ice. not me yet. one was across the lake the rest all along the access an the sunkin island to the left of the access. looks like most where spearhouses.

the not on the ice thing will end this sat morning!!!!!!! laugh

haven't been on the ice yet! cry this work thing is getting in the way! I did run to the cabin before heading over to grand rapids last Monday. drove down the access and there had been a spear house off the access. not much snow. drove down to Jessie access there where a dozen houses out there with 2 trucks on the ice. not me yet. one was across the lake the rest all along the access an the sunkin island to the left of the access. looks like most where spearhouses.

the not on the ice thing will end this sat morning!!!!!!! laugh

Had my pull behind out on Big Jessie access until yesterday. Has been slow fishing so I pulled it with snow melt, will relocate when it freeze back up this week. There's 15+ inches of good ice by access and when I checked Little Jessie there was 12+ out in front of access.

Hi

Im getting a cabin for a week in Remer during the end of Dec wondering if there is a local bait store that’s not far from town? Getting excited to get on the ice for the 1st time this year.

thanks

There is two places that sell bait in Remer. One is the Cenex store on the north side of 200 across from the junction of hwy 6. The other is on hwy 6 next to the same intersection, I can't remember the name, something trading post. I believe it is an auto parts store and bait shop.

• 5 weeks later...

Now that the weather is warming up a bit, I decided to get out Tuesday mid-day for some panfish action.

A buddy and I ended up catching 30 crappies in the 10-12" range from 11:30 to 1:30. We also put a half dozen jumbo perch and 4 pickler sized gators in the pail.

About 2' of ice on the lake and minimal snow cover.

I've been hearing from people who have been out exploring different lakes and doing well on panfish too.

No need to repeatedly pound on the same lake/school of fish, especially with the ease of getting around on the lakes.

Looking forward to getting out this weekend for panfish and hitting up some lakers on Pokegama next week.

Brian

Bmc,

You'll have to let me know when your going to be out on pokie chasing some lakers,maybe we can meet up

I've been marking quite a few while walleye fishing and have had them chase my buckshot spoon all over but not commit

The whitefish on the other hand have been cooperating and running quite large, that is a 24" cutting board in the pic to give you an ideafull-26938-52224-20141221_182548.jpg

Will do Vizsla Nut!

Good eats in that pic!1

Is there a "road" system out there people are driving vehicles on? Not that a road system is needed, but it makes me feel a little safer following someone else's tracks! grin

Usually there's a road from Kings Landing, going SW to the point on the NE corner of Sugar Bay.

Hoping to get out there next Mon or Tue.

Brian

people are driving out from all the landings except the one off 17

can pretty much drive anywhere except a few places by the islands

most of the typical laker spots are on sherry's arm and you usually dont see too much vehicle traffic out there but i'd bet theres plenty of ice this year

VIZLA_NUT, the information is good, and thank you for your input. I'm curious though where I can get a 24 inch long electric filet knife like the one in your photo. Is that the two handed model?!!! grinwink

Great observation duckhunter. At first glance I thought "wow, a 26" whitefish...that's huge". Looks to be a 20-22" whitefish...still nice fish VIZLA_NUT.

I gave the Pokey lakers a shot last weekend as well. 4 straight hours without a mark in 60 ft of water fishing the whole column....near Drumbeater. Have you caught any in the past VIZLA?....or this year? If so what depths have you been seeing them in? I agree, Sherry's Arm has probably the best water for them...thinking 35-60 ft. of water. Anything less than that I would think the walleye guys would be pulling them in all the time.

Geesh

Can't get away with anything anymore

The cutting board and fillet knife with the longer blades are 22" after measuring

I didn't measure when I first posted but thought that's how long the cutting board was

As for the lakers I've caught two so far one last winter,one this spring open water jigging walleyes and had one up the hole a couple weeks ago but lost it

I've been fishing some deeper humps topping out around 40'

Innocent mistake....I know. Just giving you sh*t. Nice fish though. Any report on those Loch Ness Monsters of Pokey?

I just don't think there's enough Lakers in pokeg to deliberately target them and be successful

But it seems that a lot of spearers are seeing them regularly so I could be wrong

Just a lot of water and even more structure for them to cover

• 7 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The fishing report is changed from this point forward. The areas covered will be generally south of leech lake and north of the Brainerd area.

Any one have a current fishing report for the following areas? :)

Backus, Emily, Hackensack, Longville, Outing, & Remer Areas - fishing reports

• 3 months later...

Fished Kego today.. Ice is 5"-6" but areas of slush . Lots of small sunnies with an occasional 9"-10" crappie . ok for wheeler or snowmobile

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Brian T said:

Fished Kego today.. Ice is 5"-6" but areas of slush . Lots of small sunnies with an occasional 9"-10" crappie . ok for wheeler or snowmobile

Welcome to the FM family Brian T , I would agree with you on your post , Except based on what I found for ice up in that area I would say IF you do decide to travel by wheeler or snowmobile you should use EXTREME CAUTION as we had 5 1/2" of ice and 30 feet away we had 3" . The ice is not COMPLETELY SAFE so please do not assume it is safe over there because it is safe over here. Stay safe and fish well friends!!!

Mike

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

First of Welcome Brian T ( AKA my cousin :) ) Thanks for the reports guys, Thinking about heading up to the Hackensack Longville area this week. Go back to my old stomping grounds been a while but boy do I miss that area a lot of good memories fishing those lakes over the years.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey Icehawk , I went by a lot of the small popular lakes that normally get pretty good fishing pressure and they were completely empty. I did see a few people who walked a short distance from the landings on some other lakes. Please stay safe if you head up as I didn't feel like I could trust the ice.

Mike

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Thanks for the heads up Mike. Will be safe for sure couple little lakes back in the woodtick trail that are lureing me back. Crazy you didn't see more anglers that area usally  see's a bunch of pressure. Maybe the ice is a little sketchy up there hope I stay topside 

• Thumbs Up 1