• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Crane Lake - Lake Kabetogama-Namakan Lake Fishing Reports

We definitely will be on our sleds. More I look at the map I think we might be better off of just going across the portage from Gassy and trying Namakan by the islands just off the trail. Do you catch more walleyes or sauger on Namakan? I have only fished it one day about 10 years ago during the summer.

Magnum Mike

Can you explain more about what you said about ATVs?

I am coming to Kabetogama this weekend.

Are you saying that you will get a ticket if you use an ATV on Kab?

Crappie attack,

I live up here and fish in the Park. You can have an ATV in the park as long as you don't cross park lands. So you can be on Kabetogama, West Rainy where you don't have to cross lands. You can off load at the boat ramps and go down onto the ice. With the snow this year you are better off with a snowmobile if you can find one. The snow is getting deeper and we are getting some slush.

-duckster

thanks for the info. Well, we are going to have to use an ATV because I don't have access to a snowmobile right now.

So make sure not to cross a posted snowmobile trail on the lake? That might be kind of hard if it runs the whole lake?

you can go anywhere on the lake you wish. just don't touch land, like a campsite, or go across a snowmobile land portage with the atv.

the only thing with the trail is you can't setup a fish house within x feet of the snowmobile trail, I don't know what x is maybe 100 ft guessing.

What minnow said is right on as long as you aren't on land you are OK. Also, you cannot set up a fish house within 100ft of the snowmobile trail for safety reasons. The 100ft is measured from the center stakes and contrary to what was said earlier the enforcement guys are reasonable about it. I know a few years back they moved the trail to avoid where people were fishing.

Also, I wouldn't worry about crossing or even traveling on the trail on the lake as long as you aren't tearing it up.

-duckster

• 3 weeks later...

Whats up guys, im new to the forum but frequently fish the area. I go up a few times a year with buddys to camp and fish offf the echo trail. We usually go in the late fall and a couple times in the winter when no one else is around. I would just like to know if anyone else fishes jeanette either in the winter or summer. The last couple years both the winter fishing and summer fishing have slowed. 2 years ago we did really well, catching lots of perch and walleye and even snagging a 36' northern off a tip up, but its slowed quite a bit since.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We tried it 2 weeks ago and didn't even mark a fish. We drilled about 30 holes. I am hoping it gets better by next weekend. Can't get much worse I guess.

you probly already know this but try to get to grassy in mid-late may.great time then.wish i had the means (a sled) to fish those lakes in winter.good luck out there

Never tried for crappies there during the open water season. maybe ill have to try it this year though. Thanks

how numerous is the muskie population on crane?size range? did they naturally work their way up from vermillion or were they stalked?how far have they spread- into SP? i ask this because i grew up fishin those waters & never heard of muskies there till a year or 2 ago.ive always loved sand point for the gazzillion shoreline & underwater structure & features & multitudes of fish.i always like going after big norskies but a muskie would be nice if i can get em on my favorite lake chain.

any advice or info is greatly appreciated.thanks

I think the quality of Muskies that can be caught on Crane are good. I've not seen anything re this fish on Sand Point or Namakan yet. But who knows. A matter of time? The consensus seems to be they have arrived in Crane through Vermilion River where it enters at the Gorge. Some 50"+ fish.

Muskies are few and far between. They are present though. Opening weekend people have caught them in the gorge fishing for walleye's I have seen a few that went 45-50 in come out of the lake. Your best bet is in the spring were the vermilion river dumps into crane.

HSO-Classifieds

All of the remaing muskie pictures are Crane lake caught and released. The muskies in Crane have moved as far as Little Vermilion Lake, and I'm sure the rock structure in Sandpoint also holds them. The population is slowly rising, give it 10 years and it will be mentioned right along side Vermilion as trophy class water. All it needs is a few more years of high water in the spring to bring fish in.

The DNR trap netted it the last two years in Crane. They caught a few large ones but no indications of reproduction. At this point the population is small and made up of a few mature fish. I have not heard of any in Sand Point or Namakan yet or that the population was expanding.

I have heard of a few of the big bruisers caught in Crane were kept, which is kind of a shame.

Duckster

There was 53 incher that was hit across the back by a skeg in the Summer or 2007. It was found in the bay to the west of Ingersoll Island on Sandpoint. A 52 incher weighing close to 40# was caught and kept off a houseboat in 2008. And in 05 or 06 there was a 55 or 56 incher taken. Muskies as small as 24 have been caught on Crane. I can't wait to see this lake 8-10 years down the road.

Thats interesting I hadn't heard about any small ones being caught. I have a friend that works for DNR and he told me all they have seen were big ones and didn't see any repro yet. I would make sense that they would eventually take off.

Duckster

Yeah I'm not 100% certain the little one we caught was born in Crane, it could've swam down the river. For the populations sake I hope they are producing in Crane. They definitely spawn in the gorge early in the year, whether or not the spawn is successful will be determined in the coming years if the age structure fills itself in and the walleye jiggers catch a few more small fish. Any chance you have the results of the netting studies? I'd like to see them if possible. Thanks!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

A fantastic beautiful sunny weekend, with temperatures approaching 50 degrees. Was it a crappie turn-on? Sure didn't hurt...

Kabetogama and Namakan have been giving up crappies, small schools have been showing up for anglers with consistency. Wax worms and minnows seem to be the best bait offering with same use of freeze dried and artificial nibbles.

Namakan at this time has great fishing going on, big pike being caught thru the ice, some walleye action and of course crappies remain a target for many. Time of day and depth vary with temperature and clouds if any. Best starting depth 25-32', or pike at 8'-15'.

Remember folks please release the big slabs and big pike for reproduction, which is right around the corner as Spring approaches.

Snowmobilers need more snow after this weekend for land trails, which have deteriorated rapidly.

Lake trails will remain safe, but again we need snow.

Phil & Ellen Hart

Gateway General

• 4 weeks later...

I caught a 31" muskie in 07 during muskie opener right off the dock of a private residence that I take a trip on each year. Also I have seen a few others and had some follows on different trips through out the last few years in Crane.

• 2 months later...

Is there not anyone fishing that has a report? Im heading up next week how are they snappin?

well, we caught 15 or so fish over 20" on saturday. Lots of 24"ers.

All on minnows. Then the minnows ran out and we switched to leeches and caught our limit (3 guys). Couldnt catch a fish small enough to keep on minnows, couldnt catch one over 17" on leeches, go figure.

Short leader (2 feet), red hook red bead. Best luck was in 13 feet of water, though we did catch some shallower and some deeper. Had to try a bunch of spots before we found the fish.

I'm going on a houseboat trip in late July and have no idea where to catch a shore lunch. I'd like to put the ladies on some panfish or smallies. Anyone with tips on where to start would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Similar results for us on Kab last week. Many, many keepers on leeches/Lindy's, and larger fish on jig and minnow.

You had to do some searching to find them. Once we found them though, fishing was phenomenal.

Most of ours were in between 15 and 20 FOW, some as shallow as 10 and some as deep as 25.

• The title was changed to 2020 Crane Lake - Lake Kabetogama-Namakan Lake Fishing Reports