• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Crane Lake - Lake Kabetogama-Namakan Lake Fishing Reports

Keep up the reports guys, I leave in a week I cant wait! Anyone doing anything on Crane or Sandpoint?

I was out there for 4 days around memorial weekend and it was definately tougher than the week of opener. We had plenty to eat and brought all our fish home and tossed some nice ones back but what a difference a week makes. I cleaned fish for lunch the first day and realized real quick why it had slowed down, Mayflies. The fish were packed with immature mayfly larvae. We did best on leeches but caught fish on both minnows and leeches. I tried to jig a little but stuck to leaders because that is usually the way to go. We did get a few on slip bobbers one night in about 22 ft where the fish were packed in thick on a tight break. Lat week the water was still about 2 ft down but it looks like its been raining a little so hopefully it will start to finally come up near normal.

June 9-13 report from Crane

Started with Wind then ended with rain, rain and more rain. Launched at the public launch on Wed. night and noticed that the mayfly hatch was just coming to an end. Fished for about two hours that night.

1 10" walleye and 1 smallmouth.

Thursday brought some periods of Sun and clouds in the AM

Fished the gorge and found Small Saugers, rock bass, Perch and something large (sturgeon maybe) that peeled off some major line before throwing the hook. The water was down quite a bit as the main hole in the gorge was only at about 16 feet where it usually is close to 20 or so. Thursday Night we finally got into some walleyes but they were not where we expected, less then 6 feet of water in weed lines. Rolick bay, and any of the islands gave up small walleyes in 8-12 feet on the rocks but the 13" walleyes were found right in the weeds. Friday was the same results as we tried the north east shoreline with walleyes in the weeds above 12" and then smaller out to 12 feet. Also found Saugers in the 12 feet plus range down to 18 feet. On Sat. the bite slowed quite a bit and one of the boats in our group went up to Namaken in which they yielded a 21.5 eye and some larger 16" eyes. They were around many of the islands in the south east corner.

Hope that helps any that are going up soon, I would say venture to Namakan or stay in the weeds in crane and deal with the small eyes. You can find a limit of 13" eyes if you work the weeds hard and some Northerns and Muskie were found in the same areas.

• Thumbs Up 1

now thats a report~! nice work mr manners. anyone been on sand point or back in grassy, browns, or stagey (sp?) bays?

Little late on the report but came back tuesday the 15th after going up on the 10th. Lots of rain, very few smallmouth between the five of us. We did however catch 15 eyes over 20 inches on Namakan. IN THE MEDDLE OF THE DAY! found em deep and boy were they stacked on certain spots. Fun trip. Coulda used a little bit more sun though and less rain.

Limited out today. Fishing was easy when the wind slowed in the afternoon. Caught all our fish 6-14 ft. 3-4 foot leaders chart bead and a red bead. Probably 20 fish over 17" lots of 20+ inchers. Windswept side of islands.

Went up Sunday. Started out fast but as soon as the wind died and the sun came out from behind the clouds, the bite slowed considerably. Caught most of our fish in 18-20 fow and milked a few more out of 10-14 fow. Jumbo leeches on a 3 foot snell with a red hook and red bead seemed to be the best producer.

We got the majority of our eyes in transition areas from rock to sand with some weeds mixed in. And by far a crawler on a harness got the majority of our fish. Got some fish by working points with a jig and a minnow, and lots of pike adjacent to deep water.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Kabetogama/Namakan Fishing Report 6/28/10 (by Ellen & Phil Hart)

At last the mayfly hatch appears to be near its end, is this a cause for Celebration, maybe.

It’s been a long mayfly season with such warm and cool temperatures since mid-May and with the end of the hatch herem the fish may become even more aggressive, improving an already good fishing season.

The live bait game is on, do I use minnow crawlers or leeches. Actually take your pick, all three seem to work, so fish with the bait you are most proficient with.

Walleyes tend to school up near the reefs now, and move into comfortable depths at 20-28’. We are definitely in the leech-crawler season and that would mean slip sinker rigs just off the lake bottom.

Pike chasing artificial and crank baits tossed up to the weed edges at to depths from 6-15’. Buzz baits and spinners should come into play in July.

Small mouth are beginning to show up on rock faces and rock piles looking for crayfish.

Walleye anglers concentrate the majority of your efforts on reef structures, or sharp shoreline drop-offs. Pike enthusiasts hit the weeds, they will chase nearly anything black or firetiger offerings work well.

Smallie folks, try your plastics, crayfish lures, X-raps and Mepps spinners, expect them to come out of their dormancy and start fighting.

Walleye anglers may find more success fishing, moving away from the warm bays on the West end to mid-lake structures on Kabetogama and Namakan bite should improve as the waters warm up, exceeding last year’s temperatures already.

Just got back from east Namakan on the 4th and the Smallmouth fishing was slow for us compared to previous years. Largest was only 16". Normally we go a week or 2 earlier, so that was probably the difference. Also we had a lot of wind and rain during our stay. The surface water temp dropped from 70 to 65.

The walleye fishing was better! We caught plenty of small eyes on the reefs using leeches and lindy rigs. (24' - 30') Largest eye was 22.5".

Nels

Fished Kab Saturday 7-10

Found the fish on an unmarked reef (nice to fish with almost no boats in sight). They were STACKED on it too.

Surrounding water was 35 feet. Reef went up to 16 feet but was like 22-26 in the parts where we were catching the fish... this was like at 10-11am, then the fish just shut off. We technically limited out fast, but kept 7 in the well and just kept throwing fish back for the rest of the day until it was time to go then we caught the last one and left.

Fish were on other big reefs biting at 17-31 feet. They seemed to really hit while drifting due to the rod action...also triggered hits while jerking up on the line while trolling.

We were catching them on leeches and crawlers, they seemed to not be inhaling the crawlers, so Id probably favor leeches for now.

3-4-5 foot leaders all worked. chartreuse spinners worked best but chartreuse and red bead combo worked too.

Caught mostly keeper sized fish with a few hawgs mixed in later in the day. Lost a fish that might have went 8#, just spit the hook.

kabhog.jpg

Just got back from Crane Lake yesterday - fished it Sunday through Tuesday along with Sand Point and Namakan for walleye. Tough bite while we were there, didn't ever get into a bunch of fish. Would pick one up here and there mostly in the 12-16" range. Tried jigs, bouncers & spinners, cranks, trolling, drifting, anchored in all depths. Surface water temps were 75-80 degrees every day. Sure is a beautiful area though. Game warden even stopped us and tried to point us in the right direction but to no avail!

Saturday on Kab was SLOW (no wind)

Sunday, once the wind picked up was very good.

Seems to me the fish are favoring the leeches much more than crawlers. We did the best using spinners and 5 foot leaders with a leech. Caught our limit trolling around an underwater point 24 feet-34 feet. Fish seemed to be locking in on tiny spots rather than spread out like later in summer.

Hammered the eyes on kab on wednesday. was working a reef that was over 30' on the edges and topped off at 11'. Fish started on the deep edges and began moving up the reef into shallower water as evening progressed. most fish were in the 14-17" range but got into a few good sized fish....3 23"ers and my gf got this 27"er...

DSC07229.jpg

all released.

Kabetogama/Namakan Fishing Report 7-26-10

Another great summer week, lots of warmth, a little rain and mild winds. Water temperatures settling into the mid-70s, reaching 80 degrees surface temperatures in the bright sun.

Walleye bite remains middle of the road to good and occasionally Great! Minnows, leeches and crawlers all seem to please the walleye population, although their cravings are not consistent.

This past week, depths on either side of 30’ seem to be the only consistent denominator for successful anglers.

Slip sinker rigs, or jig heads kept near the bottom using live bait moving very slowly is a great presentation. Early evening hours are a good time to use your artificial, use deep runners or bottom bouncers to get your lure near the bottom.

Northern pike are again active, live bait, or jerk baits along deep weed edges is producing.

Smallmouth action heating up, shorelines and rock-piles are recent hangouts.

Walleye hunters, it’s time to study your map, look for 30-40’ structure near rock reefs or sandbars that hold baitfish. Sugarbush Island is a good start on Kabetogama as is the Martin Islands, Chase Island and the Ash River area you find Green and Larkin Islands that have good structure for warm water.

Pike really favor those deep weed edges found in Lost Bay, Nebraska Bay and Blind Ash Bay. Troll lures, toss jerk baits or big spinners for some great action.

Lots of sunshine, warm water and great fishing invite you to the Kabetogama/Ash River, it’s been a great year, don’t miss out!!

My family will be up on Kab the end of next week. It will be our first time on Kab. Fished Lac LaCroix several times and figure Kab would be similar.

Not many posts recently regarding the walleye bite and where they can be found. I was wondering if anyone that was up on Kab/Nam this week or last and had any information to add regarding walleye locations/presentations.

Also, I called ahead to Cold Springs and they are out of big leeches. They informed me that the leeches they do have are a bit on the scrawny side. I have made other arrangements and plan on bringing up 2lbs of jumbos with me. I hope the leech bite is on next weekend.

"LET IT SNOW" hey i was just wondering if you could throw me some more info on where abouts you were fishing on Green IS or Larkin IS down by ash river? Such as which side of the island.

• 2 weeks later...

Are group of seven are going to be leaving for camping on Namakan tomorrow.(Wenesday,August 11th)Could anyone give us an update on depths you have been seeing fish at?Thanks for any all replies in advance.I will post our results when we return home.Thanks again c63.

Was at Crane over the weekend. Lots of small smallmouth and 1 small walleye. My son did get a 19 and a half inch smallie. Talked to a guy at the lodge and he said they were getting walleyes downrigging in 30 feet. Good Luck !

I was out in Namakan yesterday and it was slow. Too hot out and I didnt have enough gas to get out where I idealy wanted to go. It was good sunday night right before the storm blew through but other that its kind of spotty right now. Talked to the dnr creel survey guy on saturday down at ash river and doesnt sound like he's had many fish to look at the last week.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in voyagers NP aug 12-15 fished namakan sand point and loon. Loon was a fun trip but didn't catch to much (busted up the boat a little too). It took us a while to find the fish. But when we did we nailed them. Just before sunset in 37' seemed to be the ticket. Didn't really matter if u jigged or lindy rigged or bobbered. Only three to big a 17.25" 18" and a 23"Most were tiny. Kept enough little guys for dinner every night. Oh yeah it was to windy to troll or drift one day so we anchored in our most productive spot. When we tried to leave we could barely pull the anchor out of clay that was like cement.

for some reason i cant edit the anchor was stuck in mud that was like cement. (fish deep mud you'll catch fish!)

Fished Kab 8/20 - 8/22. Go deep, couple 23 inchers, and some small ones, including one nice 13" perch, fat one. And a pike while trolling crawlers at 30 feet. Bite was best at about 7-8 am.

Leeches was the ticket. Bring your own, I don't think you'll find any there, let alone jumbos.

8-22

strongest bite was on minnows BY Far, not even close.. The fish were absolutley tearing into em.

caught fish off island points and windblown sides of small rocky reefs 20-31 FOW

spinners with 4 foot leaders

interesting that so many boats left the lake when the wind started whipping, thats when the fishing really picked up

3-4.jpg

Just curious I had a group last week using 2 oz bottom bouncers and spinners and did real well. It's more of an reactionary bite like a crankbait with the spinner doing it's job. Kab has been great all year. We are currently taking 2011 reservations. Check us out at www.voyageurparklodge.com. Fishing has been great all year. I'm looking forward to Fall when I can get out on the water.

• The title was changed to 2020 Crane Lake - Lake Kabetogama-Namakan Lake Fishing Reports