• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Crane Lake - Lake Kabetogama-Namakan Lake Fishing Reports

So dad, my bro, n I started fishing at 4pm last Sunday (crane). We caught 21 eyes, 4 sauger, n a 10in. Perch. We were fortunate enough that 12 eyes, 2 saugers n the perch were keepers. We also had the pleasure of throwing back two 18", a 22" and a 24" eye. We ended up fishing  for 5 hours. There were 2 thing we noticed that affected r fishing. (A) the lack of water ment lack of current which is fundamental the first 3 weeks of opener. (B) we seen 14+ eyes surface as well as 6-7 mayflies in the boat.

Getanet I hate 2 state the obvious but from my quick look at kab u weren't even close to a spot I would think would be good this time of year. The best 4 types of spots the first 3 weeks of eyes opener in vnp r current, current, current, n sand. I've never fished kab this time of year but I know Sullivan bay/ash river is the best spot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Was at Sand Point 5/17-5/23...did ok only..5 eyes, pike and smallies. The water temp rose so fast it turned off fish. We did better on Friday and Sat...then water warmed and slowed. Most on rapalas...no live bait.. That was a mistake may have done better. Hey slush you in a hot spot...or normal area on Crane. We tried NW bay and only Pike

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Sushilicious said:

So dad, my bro, n I started fishing at 4pm last Sunday (crane). We caught 21 eyes, 4 sauger, n a 10in. Perch. We were fortunate enough that 12 eyes, 2 saugers n the perch were keepers. We also had the pleasure of throwing back two 18", a 22" and a 24" eye. We ended up fishing  for 5 hours. There were 2 thing we noticed that affected r fishing. (A) the lack of water ment lack of current which is fundamental the first 3 weeks of opener. (B) we seen 14+ eyes surface as well as 6-7 mayflies in the boat.

Getanet I hate 2 state the obvious but from my quick look at kab u weren't even close to a spot I would think would be good this time of year. The best 4 types of spots the first 3 weeks of eyes opener in vnp r current, current, current, n sand. I've never fished kab this time of year but I know Sullivan bay/ash river is the best spot.

Where the heck was this advice a month ago when I was booking our trip!  I knew nothing about Kabotegama and really only had a few choices of campsites available for the dates we wanted to go. Wood Duck Island looked as good as any. After I made the reservation I had read that the west end of the lake had better fishing earlier in the year since it was shallower than the east and the water warmed up quicker. Goes to show you can't trust everything you read on the internet.

Even though we got skunked on walleye it was still one of our favorite trips. My buddy and I typically stay at a resort or one of our family's cabins. Camping got us outside doing stuff a lot more. If we had a roof over our head and a TV we would have spent a lot less time fishing when the weather stunk.

Getanet,

Most folks the first week or so did very well on the west end this year. It is a huge area with a lot of structure options. There are weed beds, sand flats, rubble shorelines, and creek inlets, just to name a few.The 5-15ft depths brought a lot of fish too big to keep. The keepers were in the 15-25ft range.  Evening movements can bring all sizes of fish shallow. This year, minnows were definitely the bait of choice. It's all about location, location, location. In general the best approach is to run and gun. Stay no more than 10-15 minutes in a spot, and then move to then next.  If the fish are there, they  are generally active. Stick with, and sooner or later, you'll get rewarded.  VNP really is an amazing place.

• Thumbs Up 1

It sure is.  I know you can camp on Kabetogama, Rainy, Namakan and Sandpoint through the National Park Service. For someone who's never been (or only once) do you guys recommend one lake over the others?  Sort of the "if you can only visit one lake, make sure its ______"

7 hours ago, Getanet said:

It sure is.  I know you can camp on Kabetogama, Rainy, Namakan and Sandpoint through the National Park Service. For someone who's never been (or only once) do you guys recommend one lake over the others?  Sort of the "if you can only visit one lake, make sure its ______"

My choice would be Namakan, but honestly that’s mostly based on emotion. It’s where my dad and I fished the most while up there. I also think it’s prettier than Kab.  I’ve never been on Sand Point or Crane. Just my two cents. I’ll be up there one week from today. Staying on the Ash River if anyone would care to enjoy a cold one first round is on my buddy. ?

Imhatz we didn't really find a "hot spot" we fished 5 spots n caught fish in 4/5. The 5 spots we fished were located in 2 of the 3 major area's that have current.

Well there u go getanet it sounds like satchmo gave you some sound advice. As far as your question I don't think there is a wrong answer, they're all great options.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Kab/Ash Fishing Report  5/28/18

The 2018 Memorial weekend will be one to remember.  While most Memorial Weekends have a tendency to be unpredictable, 2018 will be remembered as one with almost perfect weather, good fishing and lots of smiles!

With temperatures consistently in the mid 80’s, lots of sun and no wind, you couldn’t ask for a better stretch of weather.  While most years we are putting layers of clothing on to stay warm, this year it was shorts and t-shirts and lots of sunscreen.  There were even tubers and water skiers on the lake enjoying the cool water.   Along with unseasonably warm weather, fishing has been good, but most are having to work a little harder to find fish as they are scattered at all depths.  The transition to summer happened fast so jigs as well as lindys are producing right now.  Minnows are still the preferred bait but as water temps have risen into the 60’s, leeches and crawlers are also a good bet.  See what works and go with it.

Let’s see what a few of the local guides have to say followed by Crabby Phil’s tip of the week courtesy of Gateway General.

Tim Watson - With the hot weather and no wind fishing has been mainly in deeper water.  22-28 feet and still on sandy bottoms has been the best.  Surface temps are mid to upper 60’s, so don’t forget leeches and crawlers as well as minnows.  Working shorelines with jerk baits has been good for bass and northern pike.

Trent Snyder - This week the walleye bite started off slow as the weather was hot sunny and no wind. We were still catching fish in the 32 to 40-foot range however as of the last few days the bite seems to have picked up. The range has been all over the board from 6 to 10 ft in the late evening to 22 to 30 during morning and afternoon. I'm using bright color jigs, white, pink, yellows exc. the keeper fish seem to be in the 22 ft. range and deeper as a lot of bigger fish are shallow. Remember to fish the wind and a slow presentation is a good way to fish them.

Dominic Ruis - This last week found fishing to be very tough Monday through Thursday with the warm temps, sun and no wind pushing fish deep and inactive during post spawn. As we had some fronts move through, accompanied by rain, this turned fishing back on. Fish started to bite in shallower again, 10-15 ft, as the bug hatches have just started. You will also find active fish in the 20-30ft range off island points. Jig and  minnow has still been good. As the bite picks up in shallow Lindy crawler rigs and spinner crawler rigs will start to produce!

Crabby Phil’s Tip of the Week!

While we are amidst a transition period, meaning fish, all species are scattered at various depths. I suggest you be prepared to start thinking slip sinker rigs using leeches and or crawlers. Surface water temps nearing 70. Traverse depths ranging from 12' to 25' till you find their hangout. Jig and minnow still a good choice but may not be the best offering. Very productive fishing at shallow to mid-depths on the West end.

• 4 weeks later...

Fishing Report  6/24/2018

Significant weather change and first mayfly hatch of the year

Last week we saw hot, humid and windless days affecting the bite.  You needed to be on the water as the sun came up and the last hour before dark.  This made fishing tough as you also needed to know where to be during those key hours or you would miss out on the bite.  Soft bottom shallow areas produced well as the first significant mayfly hatch was in the making.  We did have a less noticeable hatch a few weeks ago but most didn’t even notice.  As weekend approached we had significant rain and then much cooler temps and now an east wind turning the bite back on again during the day.  Stick to soft bottom areas and wind-swept shorelines using live bait rigs and you should find fish.  Leeches and crawlers seem to be producing best but there is still a jig and minnow bite.  A good map is your best friend.  Chase the wind to areas that are pushing baitfish in to feast on the current mayfly hatch and you will find fish.

Larger northern pike have started to move to cooler waters as the hot weather brought water temps up quite a bit.  You will still find smaller pike mixed in with small mouth bass along most shorelines casting just about anything.

Speaking of mayflies, even though they can be a nuisance they are an indication of good water quality and a healthy ecosystem.  There are many species of mayflies and they all hatch at different times and unfortunately for them, die within a couple days or even hours.  Try collecting a couple from each hatch and you will notice the difference.  Almost everything makes a meal from them.  Fish, ducks, birds, you name it and they probably enjoy a good mayfly hatch.  Of course, for us, it can cause problems.  Stinky beaches, mayfly covered boats and sometimes negatively affecting the bite, unless you know where to look.  Take some time to learn about mayflies and you will have better success on your fishing adventure.  Where mayflies hatch, the baitfish are sure to be there and right behind them, walleyes and other species of fish.  Fishing these areas can be extremely productive.  Try triggering a bite using a flashier approach to draw their attention.  Spinners are a great option.

Summer is in full swing with July 4th holiday next week already!  Oh, how time flies!  It won’t be long after and the wild berries will be ready to pick.  If you are coming up this way keep an eye out in the ditches along the roads as we have an incredible Lady Slipper bloom going on right now.  Residents from the area say it’s the best in years!  Stay safe, have a wonderful week and don’t forget to stop into Gateway General for an ice cream and to say hi!  Guide reports below.

Jason and Robyn

Guide Reports     

Travis Carlson

Last week fishing started off good with clouds and a little wind. Walleyes were shallow and live bait rigs with leeches or half a crawler produced very well. Many fish were caught in 10’ or less water. As the week went on and the weather got warmer, sunny, and calm fishing slowed. Early morning and late evening still produced fish shallow but fishing in 20-30’ during much of the day was the ticket. In deep water we again fished live bait rigs and leeches, but the bite slowed. Lots of fish still in the shallows and today (Sunday) with a good east wind saw much better fishing again. Fish wind swept shore lines and weed edges if there is a chop on the water and be prepared to fish in the 20-30’ range on sunny calm days.

Trent Snyder

It was a good week of fishing. This week the bite was strong evening and early morning. Most of the fish I caught were in that 16 to 21-foot range, it was a sunny calm week which made the bite challenging during the hot afternoon's. Bright colored jigs on bright colored days’ work the best make sure you fish the wind.  Make your afternoons pay off by casting cranks along the shoreline for some small mouth bass. Good luck. Trent 

Dominic Ruis

Fishing this week has been some of the toughest we have seen so far this year.  The hot temps, sun and no wind made the good shallow water bite slow way down.  Only times you could catch these fish was early in the day or not at all.  We found a few fish in 20’-30’ but even these fish didn’t seem to cooperate.  We did end up catching fish but had to really work hard for them.  Toward the middle of the week I did some fishing on Namakan and found fish in the 23’-23’ range on jig and minnow or Lindy minnow.

CRABBY PHIL’S TIP OF THE WEEK

Well it's mayfly time of year as one of the first batches is taking place.
A mayfly hatch doesn't have to spoil your fishing.
Mayflies hatch as the soft lake bottom warms up, walleyes love the larvae.
There, you know where the walleyes are, soft bottom structure.
Put various baits in front of them, with and without spinners, if your presentation impresses them you'll catch those eyes.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!
Fishing remains strong going into the holiday week despite the persistent mayfly hatch.  Finally, some relief from the hot muggy weather.
Since opening day the fishing report seems to be like a broken record.  Usually by the 4th of July we are talking reefs and deep water.  Despite the persistent mayfly hatch we are experiencing right now the bite still remains strong along island and shoreline points and when the wind is blowing, shallow along weed lines.  The biggest change we have seen is that leeches and crawlers are out producing minnows.  Live bait rigs tipped with either bait has been the way to go.  If you are having problems, try using a half crawler.  On windy days, focus on wind swept shorelines, say 6’-15’.  Otherwise move out into deeper water and move slow along transition areas where rock meets sand/mud.  It can be hard focusing on shallow water this time of year, but great reports are coming in fishing these areas when the wind is blowing.  Us walleye fisherman are creatures of habit but thinking out of the box can be rewarding if you can train your brain to do so!
Northern pike and small mouth bass are still there along shorelines and weed beds.  Casting almost anything is turning fish.  Keep trying something different until you get some action.
Water skiers and tubers are a more common sight on the lake these days.  With the Independence Day holiday this week it is sure to more active so be aware of other boaters.  This is usually the busiest week of the year so have a great time and stay safe!  Kabetogama has some great fireworks to see on the 4th.  The best viewing is by boat.  You can see them on the west end toward Sandy Point and then down towards Northern Lights as well.  As long as the weather holds you can’t beat an evening boat ride enjoying the show!
Don’t forget to stop in to Gateway General for some hand scooped ice cream and to check out our expanded gift and clothing selection.  Gateways freshly made subs and wraps have also been a huge hit.  You may want to call ahead and have them waiting for you when you stop in.  We also have an expanded beer and wine selection with many specialty beers available.
Have a great 4th of July!
Gateway General

Guide Reports
Travis Carlson
This week was a great week of walleye fishing on Kabetogama!  Fishing mostly in 9-15’ of water with live bait rigs and leeches or half a crawler.  Fishing windswept shorelines and weed edges were a constant producer.
Trent Snyder
The bite slowed some the end of the week primarily because of the mayfly hatch. But if you can get out early morning like 5:30 or so you will find success. Wind swept shores in the 20 ft range with leech and minnows have both been productive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I’m heading up tomorrow for a Day trip with my 85 yro uncle and I’m hoping to put him on some eyes!  Any advice would be much appreciated. I’m not looking for your secret spot...lol. Mostly looking for depth and presentation. 

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

As we head into the last holiday of the summer season fishing continues to be strong.

Fall like weather has hit the northland recently and looks to stay that way into the foreseeable future.  Finally getting some of the much-needed rain has been welcomed by most but that combined with the wind and cooler temps has kept some anglers off the lake but those who have ventured out are being rewarded.  Highs barely into the 70’s and lows in 50’s and even high 40’s has dropped water temps a bit which has fish in a more aggressive and shallow bite pattern.

Walleyes are active just about everywhere right now.  They seemed to have moved off the reefs and shoreline structure is a good place to start.  Whether you are pulling cranks, using live bait rigs or jigs, fishing has been consistent throughout Kabetogama.  Mix in a great small mouth bite and you are going to have fun.  While a jig and minnow were the way to go the last couple of weeks, leeches and crawlers seem to be working the best.  Recently, soft bottom areas have been producing well as we have just had a significant midge hatch.  Pulling spinners and slowly dragging jigs through these areas can be quite productive.  Look to the northwest side of the lake as well as any of the bays in 12’-20’.

Bear hunting begins this weekend and baits are being hit with regularity.  It looks to be shaping up to be a great start to the hunting season.  If you happen to be one of the lucky ones to harvest a bear, register your trophy at Gateway and you will be entered into one of two drawings for a Yeti product.  Our scale is up and running so we can weigh it in for you as well!  

Good Luck!

Friday and Saturday from 9-3 are customer appreciation days and our community garage sale so stop into Gateway for your map and enjoy a hot dog and pop for a buck!  

Have a safe Labor Day weekend!
Gateway General

• 3 months later...

KABETOGAMA FISHING AND OUTDOORS REPORT 

Taking a step back from winter.
Unfortunately, warm weather has decreased our snow depth but that isn’t hindering outdoor activities and fishing continues to be good.  Activities that need a little more snow have slowed somewhat but outdoor enthusiasts are still finding plenty to do around the Kab area and within Voyageurs National Park.  While some years by now it is necessary to have a snowmobile, snow shoes or cross-country skis to play in our winter wonderland, this year has started a little different.  Snow depth on the lake is almost non-existent which makes traveling by ATV’s and by foot quite easy.  Vehicle travel is still not advised and you need to be careful traveling anywhere on the ice right now, including inland areas with beaver ponds as some are finding insufficient ice to utilize.  See below for the latest National

Park Updates.
As far as fishing goes, it is still consistently good throughout the area.  Working deeper break lines in the morning and evening and then moving to deep soft bottom areas during the day is the way to approach your fishing adventure right now.  Being mobile will also increase your chances of putting fish in the bucket.  Jigging any type of spoon with a full or half minnow is productive and always make sure to have a minnow and plain hook under a bobber on your other line.  Spear fishing is still on fire with lots of smaller fish being seen with quite a few big ones being taken.  Make sure to check the recent change in Northern Pike regulations as some are confused by the size restrictions and reduced limit.
Until we get more snow, take advantage of the opportunity to explore without the need of special equipment!
Next report will be on Christmas Eve Day so travel safe and we’ll see you soon!

GATEWAY GENERAL
Voyageurs National Park urges visitors to stay off the ice at this time. 

ALL snowmobile, ice roads, and ski trails are not yet open for the season. Pressure ridges are being monitored, but holding steady. Park staff is continuing to check ice and brush and clear portages as we have ice to reach them.

The Echo Bay trail is currently packed but not tracked due to insufficient snow.

New this year: Park staff will be grooming one side of the Rainy Lake Recreation Trail that connects Minnesota Highway 11 with the Rainy Lake Visitor Center for classical cross-country skiing. While one side of the trail will include a set ski track, the other side will remain ungroomed for snowshoeing, winter walking and other non-motorized winter activities. The Recreation Trail is currently packed on one side and not tracked due to insufficient snow. 

Most snowshoe trails (specifically Blind Ash Bay, Oberholtzer, Sullivan Bay, and the unpacked side of the Rainy Lake Recreation Trail) are open with minimal snow. Please use caution this time of year!

Please check back, for the most up-to-date conditions. Thank you. 

**Voyageurs National Park 
Snowmobile Trails
International Falls to Kettle Falls (Purple Trail) - Not Open
Rainy Lake/Black Bay to Kabetogama Lake to Ash River (Green Trail) - Not Open 
Ash River to Crane Lake (Green Trail) - Not Open
Chain of Lakes (Dashed Black Trail) – Not Open
Ash River to Kettle Falls (Yellow Trail) - Not Open
East Namakan Lake to Sand Point Lake (Blue Trail) – Not Open
Rudder Bay (Orange Trail) - Not Open
***Please remember the snowmobile speed limit within the park is 45 mph on frozen lake surfaces and 25 mph on all overland portages. Speed limit signs are posted at trail heads and overland portages.

Ice Roads
Rainy Lake Ice Road- Not Open
Kabetogama Lake Ice Road- Not Open
Kabetogama Lake Ice Road West and East Spur Roads- Not Open

Ski Trails
Echo Bay Ski Trail- Packed
Rainy Lake Recreation Trail- Packed
New this year: park staff will be grooming one side of the Rainy Lake Recreation Trail that connects Minnesota Highway 11 with the Rainy Lake Visitor Center for classical cross-country skiing. While one side of the trail will include a set ski track, the other side will remian ungroomed for snowshoeing, winter walking and other non-motorized winter activities.
Black Bay Ski Trail- Not Open
Tilson Connector Trail- Not Open
KabAsh Trail- Not Open
Snowshoe Trails
Black Bay Beaver Pond Trail- Not Open
Blind Ash Bay Trail- Open with minimal snow
Oberholtzer Trail- Open with minimal snow
Sullivan Bay Trail- Open with minimal snow
Rainy Lake Recreation Trail- Open with minimal snow
Snowshoe and Cross-Country Ski loans are not yet available for the season at the Rainy Lake Visitor Center due to insufficient snow.

Sledding Hill
Sphunge Island, Kabetogama Lake- Not Open
Skating Rink
Sphunge Island, Kabetogama Lake- Not Open

• 4 months later...

Just got back from fishing Kabetogama Monday thru Friday. Water temps ran mid 40's main lake to low 50's shallow bays. Caught plenty of fish with several 17 to 18 inchers  and many under 17. We found fish in the 25' range but also caught some shallow in the evenings. Rainbow chubs was  the bait for us on spinner rigs.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

we were up 4-6th. fishing good but when leaving found 2 may flys. are they starting now? we're heading up again at the end of the month. hope not to see them around. lots of bass & walleye, all released. bite was very light (stay alert) but very good trip.

Edited by moderation
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

705203463_ReefRunner1Jan62020.thumb.JPG.92af940556bd2a74c4921bef144a2ab4.JPG

Kabetogama area fishing, ice conditions and snowmobile trail report.  1/6/20

Busy weekend around Kabetogama and Voyageurs National Park as snowmobiling picks up considerably.

With the recent snowfall, snowmobile trails are in good shape.  As of today, in Voyageurs National Park, the green trail from Rainy Lake to Crane Lake is staked and lightly groomed.  The lake trail is rough with scattered slush areas but most of these spots have firmed up.  When venturing off the trail, riders are finding slushy conditions but not having issues getting through it.  Most trails beyond the park are groomed and in good shape.  The groomers are doing a great job of keeping up with the recent uptick in activity.  The ice road has yet to be plowed but the park service is hoping to begin that process within the next week.  All of the ski trails are packed with the exception of the Kab/Ash trail.  All of the snowshoe trails are open. 

Fishing remains consistent throughout Kabetogama.  Even though the bite isn’t fast and furious, walleye fishing has been good.  Larger fish are more active right now while the keeper size variety seem to be a bit more elusive.  Lively minnows under a bobber or on a rattle wheel are producing better results than jigging.  Shiners were the bait of choice.  Focus on transition areas or soft bottom in 24-32 ft of water.  Spearing has slowed a bit, but this is mostly due to less people spending time in the spear house.  Ice thickness still varies greatly throughout the area but safe to travel on.  Travel is limited to snowmobiles or track machines.

If you are looking to experience winter at it’s best, visiting Voyageurs National Park should be on your list of destinations.  It’s absolutely beautiful out there and the scenery is second to none!  Whether you are looking to fish, snowmobile, ski, snowshoe, take a hike, or just relax, you won’t be disappointed as activities abound. 

As always, be safe, enjoy yourself and we’ll see you soon!

Gateway

1170947034_ReefRunner3Jan62020.thumb.JPG.61c17e241b9acb1d82ba6f8c6974a0c7.JPG

Anglers are finding fishing to be inconsistent with the bite varying greatly. Snowmobile, ski and snowshoe trails are all in excellent shape!

Even before the snow we received last night the snowmobile trails were in great shape. With more snow forecast tonight and this weekend it should only get better! In Voyageurs National Park most snowmobile trails are open and staked. We have been getting numerous riders coming through saying the trails are fantastic! The few that have gone on the Chain of Lakes trail and up to Kettle Falls reported awesome riding conditions. Throughout the area there are still lots of slushy areas with more wet spots showing up. For the most part, the snow has firmed up nicely which is keeping riders from having issues with these areas, but the park service still advises caution when traveling off the trail. All trails beyond the park are groomed and in excellent shape with groomers are out daily. The ice road has not been plowed and all indications are that it won’t happen this week. All ski trails are packed and tracked with the exception of the Kab/Ash trail. All snowshoe trails are open.
Screenshot_20200118-093504_Chrome.jpg.1c745fe114d7a0dacebf84aceeaddd68.jpg
Fishing has been extremely inconsistent. It’s been frustrating for anglers as they are marking fish but just not biting. Reports are all over the map. When the fish are active it’s been in depths from 18-35 ft. Edges of reefs and shoreline points as well as deeper water over soft bottom are seeing some activity. Bigger walleyes still seem to be the majority of fish caught with a few smaller ones as well as the occasional perch and northern pike mixed in. Many anglers are reporting water coming up and flooding areas around their house after drilling holes. With the snow we just received and more on the way it’s going to get interesting. Lake travel is not advised with the exception of snowmobiles and track machines.

Fortunately, here in Voyageurs National Park fishing isn’t the only thing to do! There are plenty of activities to keep you busy. Check out the Voyageurs National Park as well as the Kabetogama Lake Association’s website and Facebook pages for area updates and activities. You can also call or stop in at Gateway as we have snowmobile trail and lake maps to help point you in the right direction!

As always, be safe, enjoy yourself and we’ll see you soon!

Gateway

For current Minnesota Fishing Reports - Click Here.

Show us your pics!

• 2 weeks later...

Almost two feet of snow has left the snowmobile, snowshoe and cross-country ski trails in premier condition. Unfortunately, off the trails...

Kab is experiencing significant slush and deep snow with 4-5 ft drifts scattered throughout. This has made fishing tough for most, if not all, that don’t have machines that can handle the extreme conditions. Fishing has been consistent for those that make it to their destination as the bite seems to be picking up some.

As anglers are noticing that fish being caught are filled with larvae, deeper soft bottom structure is producing best. Recently, downsizing your bait with a less aggressive approach has worked best but with the weather turning that could change as fish become more active. Tipping you favorite lure with a wax worm has been extremely productive.

The National Park Service is presently trying to get the ice road in shape for travel but as of this morning it is still closed. They were hoping traffic would be non-existent on the road plowed last week to allow the slush and water to heal up, but that didn’t happen. Heavy track machines that broke up the healing process have forced the park service to reroute the original road.

Please respect the fact the road is closed. It is not a "hard" close but with the heavy snow and slush there is a reason they would prefer NO traffic. Heavier machines that were out there over the weekend have broken up these areas which has delayed their progress in getting the ice road in. 
Screenshot_20200128-104816_Chrome.jpg
Switching gears, the area will be hosting the famed Arrowhead 135 next Monday, Jan 27th. This race is one of the hardest in the world as athletes from around the world will attempt to start from International Falls and make it to Fortune Bay Casino/Resort, 135 miles! The first stopping point is Gateway General with another at Mel Georges then on to Fortune Bay. With trails in great shape and the weather taking a turn for the better, this could be a record-breaking year!

Here at Gateway, we are exciting to be a sponsor of the race and will be ready for the brave athletes when they arrive as well as spectators. We will have warm soups, hot beverages and plenty of other goodies as well as a warm place for all to hang out and chat while waiting for their athlete to check in. We will also have the race on our TV with live updates so you can see where each athlete is located! You can also check out the Arrowhead 135 website for all the race info.

GOOD LUCK!

Stay safe and have fun!
Gateway

For current Minnesota Fishing Reports - Click Here.

• 4 weeks later...

All set for our annual fishing trip to Crane and Sand Point Lake. I have been going since mid 1980's and the new crew for the past 11 years. We will be there May 29 and staying at a campsite in Sand Point. We plan to venture up a bit perhaps to Wolf Island or Namakan. We fish almost exclusively for pike...all bass and eyes go back to swim again. Any spots to share for pike. We may even change it up a bit and fish crappies this year.  thanks ...good luck all you ice warriors. mark

• I Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know the general ice thickness on Namakan? Called VNP visitor center and the lady told me "more than 5 inches" thinking about taking the snowmobiles up and trying around the east Namakan loop this weekend. Wondering if I need to find a longer auger. Any report would be great. Thanks!

• I Like it 1

Welcome to FM @Chief Catchemall.

With any luck someone will get to you here.

When you get up there let us know how it goes please.

Pics would be icing on the cake sir.

• 2 months later...

Well 10 days away from the annual fishing trip to Crane and Sand Point lakes. The water looks real low like 2018. Any updates as to how low.

• 2 weeks later...

One day to go and heading to Crane and Sand Point lake. I heard black flies are real bad...any updates on that. We are targeting Pike this year

Black fly stories are coming out of the twin cities where they usually don't get them like they have them. Probably business as usual up north. I'm headed up Friday to Sand Point as well for a couple days. Weather is looking decent should be a nice couple days. Good luck.

• The title was changed to 2020 Crane Lake - Lake Kabetogama-Namakan Lake Fishing Reports