• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Please post your fishing reports or questions to fishing reports here..

Everyone feel free to chime in with fishing reports, ice conditions , questions about the fishing etc.

Thanks smile

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• tacklejunkie

• Surface Tension

• reinhard1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Decided to switch it up and try for panfish today and got a nice mix bag of slabs, big gills, perch and a few walleyes... The only spot I found fish was right on a breakline going from 6-10ft out from

Got out and found some nice wallys and a pile of jumbos.

1st piggy of the year already, going to be a good year.

Posted Images

not sure which end of the bdub your talking about, but the gunflint side has been slow!!! most groups ive talked to fishing from north of bearskins all the way up to canadian side of sag have said about the same thing, one maybe... dont know if its just the weather or what not but i havent got anything yet and just a couple lookers. be trying to find some lakers here in the next week maybe one more time then ill be switching to pike and walters until my rabc comes in then ill go to canadia for the great fishin!

about a week late,, but ; hit a lake about 15-20 miles from GM on Sat and did quite well for lakers. Limited out too quick, wish we had let some of the smaller ones go.

Sunday- fished some new water, not much. That night, went for walleyes. Ended up coming in with alot of slush, and alot of work moving sleds/ etc. to get in. all for a 11" eye. Not worth it. Stay on the deeper lakes, as they seem to have froze over later to prevent all the snow and slush that accumulated on the shallower lakes that iced up earlier.

The lake that we fished for eyes is ruined for winter. Totally a mess when it comes to moving anything, even walking in it was a workout.

Might be a good opener lake thou,, in JUne with the way the weather is going.

JBMasterAngler

Mudcutter, do you go to grand marais in june? I think I know which lakes you are talking about.

Bassboy1645

The slush and snow are deep but the willys are looking. you can get a few in the half hour bite but there 15-18 inch avg with alot of smaller fish. Every now and then a bigger fish comes through and the possibility is real for a 3 or four pound fish. the last few days have slowed the eyes down and alot of them are slow to come light to bite if at all. Last night I saw nine fish and missed 2. Can you guess the lake?? Good cuz im not saying lol

Comment

Write a comment...

Fished Island Res. the other day and got four waldo's. All were in the 12-15 in. range. Oh ya, and I was only out there for a hour and a half and only fished maybe an hr. due to moving around to find my spot. All in all not too bad of an outing...

Howdy,

Will be fishing out of Sawbill in June, seeing what helpful info I can find on a handfull of lakes: Temperance, Little Sag, Frost, Pan, Malberg, Koma and Lake Polly. Any success? What good in early June? Thanks!

Gunflint Trail BWCA sure has been producing! Just before we got the bad weather last night and today i managed to hook into three really nice lakers!!! Patterns did not seem to affect the fish because they were extremely aggresive!

-First One 30'' ~9-10lbs

IMG_0203.jpg

Next one was bigger at 36'' ~12lbs

Lakers007.jpg

Finally having a decent Day and not falling through the ice, thats what im talking about! Ill be out again prob tuesday or wednesday maybe sooner to the same spot and hopefully more lakers!

splakeshaker

Nice fish Ice King. Looks like ya can feed the whole family(a few times). I gotta get out and chase some lakers. Is it bog stain that causes such a dark coloration? I've caught lakers on Gunflint Lake and they looked just like that.

splakeshaker

Hey Ice King, Hows the ice conditions up the trail? Is it slushy? I'm thinking about heading up early Thursday morning.

Splake shaker, the slush is almost non existent. Didnt find any in the two spots i tried but im sure if you look hard enough youll find some... Yea those fish were a blast cant wait to get out again this week! I was actually thinking thursday too, but maybe wednesday. Hopefully get another one of those bad boys cause he sure tatsed great!

Splakeshaker, it's not bog stain that causes the color. Or at least not only that. I've caught lakers on Burntside, which is very clear and unstained except for a few of the bays, that were nearly black. Interestingly, the only ones that dark were over 6-8 pounds. All of the smaller fish I've caught on Bside were lighter than that.

Ice King, really nice lakers. Did you weigh that 36-inch fish?

Yea steve she was about 12 pounds(my scales a little chinsy). It was a blast though! Probably ties for first place for funnest fish to catch with spring run steelies on the shore. Ill be out again for sure this week and hope to get some more...

Splakeshaker, it's not bog stain that causes the color. Or at least not only that. I've caught lakers on Burntside, which is very clear and unstained except for a few of the bays, that were nearly black. ...

I caught this one on Lower Manitou. That lake is almost gin clear, no bog stain at all and this fish was almost as dark as night.

blacklakerrszac3.jpg

JBMasterAngler

Yeah, lake trout are kinda' funny like that. Maybe it's similar to how a smallmouth bass is chameleon like, they change color with their surroundings. I've caught lakers out of superior and greenwood that were light silvery gray, and then out of gunflint or grindstone they were dark brown. Kinda' cool.

splakeshaker

Pretty cool. I was just surprised to see them so dark. I guess I was expecting a lighter color. Thanks for the input.

whats the ice like on greenwood and gunflint? should i bring the square stern with the Johnson or the pickup?

• 2 weeks later...

Ice_King, I recognize where you were staying and fishing. I'll be up there in a couple weeks. Were you out on the main part of the lake? Was there any slush in the big wide open areas? Looks like a couple nice fish, congrats!

Yea fishermn i dont stay there i actually work there so... From what ive heard over the weekend and seen fishing been slow all the way into canada and sag/saganagons. Plan on water and slush if we dont get a deep deep cold freeze cause we are still hitting deep slush even today. Snow helped the main trails and the corridor alot but sleds are the only way. I plan on doing some fishing for lakers/eyes/whities/ciscoes/burbout/ whatever bites this week/weekend so ill keep all posted up!TTYL

Ice_king, keep me posted on conditions. We are staying there the last weekend of the month. Lets hope for a few good -30 nights here in the next week or so... Maybe I will bump into you when we are there! Good Luck!

Ya fismn i will be taking some canoes down to st.louis that weekend so i wont be around to much but i know we will definately chat sometime when your here...So your staying at VCO right? If so then for sure ill be seeing ya. Ill keep posted up as far as how fishing and ice conditions are...

Yep, staying at VCO. Will be in on friday morning and out on sunday afternoon. Interested to hear what the conditions are like heading west on the main lake. Usually fish way down that direction...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fish houses can be on the ice through March 31st.  Walleyes are open through April 14th, pike never close.  A good week of fishing despite a number of temperature changes.  A variety of walleyes, saugers, perch, pike, tullibee and eelpout being caught in 29-33 feet.  Jigging spoons with a glow stick or rattles tipped with a piece of minnow for the jigging line.  On the deadstick, a colored hook with a live fathead has been effective.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish.  When suspended fish are spotted, reel up quickly before fish swims through.  When your lure is 2 feet below the fish, reel up to the fish slowly so you don't spook the fish.  The suspended fish have been larger walleyes overall. 
      Big pike being caught on tip-ups with a quick strike rig and either live sucker or large dead baitfish in 5 - 15' of water.     
      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite continues to be the best.  Remember, March 1st - April 14th, catch and release only for walleyes on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service.
      A good number of walleyes caught this week up at the NW Angle.  Walleyes in 24 - 31' of water.  Jigging with a lure producing noise with rattles is effective.  Tip jigging spoons with minnow head, tail or whole minnow.  Experiment until you figure out what the walleyes want.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  Remember, a new MN Fishing License is required March 1st. 

• Sue Baker
      By Sue Baker
      I am new to this site and was intrigued by some of the conversations.  Sounds like a good time gathering in Richmond, wish I could be there but I am in Missouri and wanting to come up for one more ice fishing trip this coming weekend. ( Mar 5-6, 2021) I fished at Cedar Lake in Faribault with my son about a 3 weeks ago and had a blast.  I can sneak away one more time this weekend but would like to know what the ice conditions look like now.  Can any of you offer me any suggestions as to the thickness and conditions?  Looking forward to one more trip to MN this season.  (We just do not have good ice in Missouri, will not even hold up a mosquito!!!!)

Thanks and enjoy your adventures.
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      any idea when the tullibee might star biting off stony point on leech............i'd sure like to give that a go again.
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Been awhile since I posted. Hope everyone had a great season ice fishing. I have been chasing pike mainly with the Aqua Vu this year and trying different baits. Pulled out the 5 of Diamonds to end the season. Who remembers this one. Anyone use it ice fishing. Thought I Share.

• Luzaich
      By Luzaich
      It’s coming fast! I’m guessing March 26th for birchdale
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      A little long winded but I'm excited to share.
      Got out on Tonka 4 times this week. Yes, I'm retired. 😀 Bought the Milwaukee 2803-33 and put it on a 6" lazer hand auger that I've had for 20 years but have never used it since I have a gasser too. Very impressed by that set up. Also gave the LiveScope a good work out.
      Monday afternoon found the sunfish and crappie suspended over a 40-foot hole. Saw fish with the LiveScope with the first set of holes and drilled a few more to get on top of them. Kept 3 of each for fish sandwiches.
      Tuesday afternoon in the same hole but near the ridge that connects shore to an offshore reef. Mostly sunfish there but a few crappie too. All released.
      Yesterday started an hour before sunrise and fished a small 12 foot-hole that I started fishing around 1970. Caught sunfish, crappies, largemouth and lost an ~8# carp at the bottom of the hole. Had it played out and laying sideways at the bottom of my 6" hole. Trying to get it started up the hole and my 4# test line broke with a new 4 mm tungsten glow wonder bread jig in its lip. Looked at the flasher and they was another fish. Grabbed the other rod with a 1/16 oz jointed pinhead minnow on it and fired it down the hole to be immediately consumed by a 12" crappie. All fish released.
      This morning fished the small hole again at the same time. Sunfish and crappies. Largest crappie was 11 7/8. No sunfish over 7". Just drilled 3 holes in the spot with the most fish from yesterday. Two for fishing, one for the LiveScope and set the house up. It's fun seeing fish creeping in from 8 feet away and you can definitely tell the different sizes of fish on the LiveScope.
      Reminisced on some of the times I've fished this hole over the years with friends and family.

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Son and I decided one last trip before ice melt on Rush. Lots of slush at access, probably unpassable by next weekend with 40 to 50 deg. temps next week. 25" ice with 4" packed snow on fishing area. No hot spot just area with 30 so wheel/skid shacks. Drilled a few around orange marker found nothing, flasher lit up at blue marker suspended 15 to 28 ft. 36 FOW. Bite non existing put everything down, colors, plastic, variety. Got 3 at 9 to 11 inch. Talked to several anglers, same results. Love the floor I built for the flip no water/slush everything dry. 

• gimruis
      By gimruis
      If you intend to fish past Sunday, you'll need a new 2021 angling license.

Additionally, the deadline to remove permanent/overnight fish houses is Monday in the southern half of the state.  If found unattended over night beyond the deadline, enforcement officials can confiscate the house itself.
    • 7sixes
      By 7sixes
      Hey all...I am a noob ice fisherman and want to be as safe as possible...

The lakes around my area have about 2 feet of ice and the warm weather the past few days has me nervous driving my Ford Ranger on the ice...

I am assuming that I should not be concerned yet BUT I just wanted some reassurance before I go this evening.

*There is no major flow in the lake FYI*

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is asked too much!
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Coho Salmon are unlike any fish I've ever targeted. There's not a ton of opportunities to catch these fish through the ice, so to be able to do that makes it that much cooler. Went went out on Lake Superior near Duluth, MN. This was on Sunday. Such a cool experience! 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• gimruis
      When the resource gets depleted and there aren't anything left but stunted panfish in our lakes, the anglers responsible for this will start barking at the DNR, claiming that they didn't do enough or barking that the muskie or catfish ate all of them.  When in reality, the only people to blame are standing in the mirror.  Just a matter of time...
    • ozzie
      I have kids.  I take them fishing and taught them that the point is to enjoy your surrounding and the time had rather than the meal that could be.  I rarely, maybe once every couple years do I keep a meal of sunnies, and as for crappies I will keep a meal occasionally, but when I do I do not keep anything over 12.5" and try to stay between 10-12.5"  all over and under go back to keep growing.  I certainly am glad they are regulating panfish more but I wish they would have placed a slot on bigger sunfish and crappies...something like 1 over 9" on sunfish and 1 over 13" for crappies.  Just a thought.
    • Hookmaster
      From Vados Bait's website for waxworms:   Check and remove any dead every other day at a minimum. We recommend storing your waxies at about 43-49 degrees. When fishing try to keep them about the same temp and out of the direct sun light.   For Eurolarva/spikes/maggots: Very easy to keep. Refrigerate at about 33-35 degrees. In general this might be a little cooler than most people keep their home refrigerator so you may want to use another refrigerator that you can dial down a little colder. Check the bait every two to three days, pick out and throw away any dead.
    • rschmidty
      Royal Dutchman just went live on FB like 15 minutes ago at what appears to be the Pelland or maybe it was Coot's? They were 9 miles west of IF's. Open water extends west. Not sure how far though. Looks like small boats could be pushed out.  
    • Wanderer
      Don’t let them freeze.  Easier said than done.
    • Wanderer
      Now remember, you said I could give you a hard time! 😉   So much of the pressure these days is recreational, not subsistence.  I’m gonna assume most consider their catch a bonus or treat rather than a need these days.  Most spend more money to catch their own than it would cost to buy it.  Again, most...   Done keeping at 5 doesn’t mean they have to be done catching. 🙂
    • eyeguy 54
      The group released about 150 so far 😁🐟🐟
    • ozzie
      well i finally pulled the trigger and found a strikemaster lite flight 8" and will paired it with a milwaukee fuel m18 2804.  the set up came with 2 5amp batteries so hope that gets me what i need!  going to get out tomorrow and rip this around the lake and hopefully make swiss cheese of it!
    • Fishing DA Range and nort
      so much for feeding the family, you all seem to be in the boat of just keep a few.   Well i got 6 kids who gotta eat to.   So if I'm by myself, you can bet its in the pail if I can legally keep.   Give me a hard time if you want i dont care i follow the laws/rules/slots.   After talking to a DNR fishery personnel, a 28" walleye most likely not even spawning anymore, but the 22-26 inch ones are supporting the fishery, so releasing the giants only helps 1 fish.   Much less if i have kids with, try telling a 5 or 7 year old you have to throw that back, specially sunnies.   5 sunfish is ridiculous, let the kids go on the dock of some lakes and then tell them 10 minutes later, you are done because you got 5, time to play xbox.   No wonder less people are fishing, i used to go mil lacs once a year, but cant even justify the cost of fuel if you cant keep a fish.   But keep increasing the license cost, more regulations its confusing and makes me wonder if its worth it.     
    • rundrave
      I buy the big butter dish sized containers every year full of waxies. The one I have now I bought in December and I am  still using the same waxies out of that same purchase. The only thing I can think of is the little small plastic containers are too air tight and they die?   The butter dish I have has several holes poked in the lid so maybe they can breath better in that dish and end up lasting longer? I get a few that went bad on me but for the most part the entire container is still usable. Its a much  better deal to buy in bulk and use them the entire year than buy the little containers each trip.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.