• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

naturelover

well im goin up to sag in 2 days so im trying to get information on walleye because i go up there with food only for breakfast and lunch and dinner is what you catch.But i catch all the fish like pike,bass,walleye,lakers,and perch. But i need some walleye help i have a fishfinder but i need more tips on finding walleye.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• tacklejunkie

• Surface Tension

• reinhard1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Decided to switch it up and try for panfish today and got a nice mix bag of slabs, big gills, perch and a few walleyes... The only spot I found fish was right on a breakline going from 6-10ft out from

Got out and found some nice wallys and a pile of jumbos.

1st piggy of the year already, going to be a good year.

Posted Images

CrappiesNCats

well im goin up to sag in 2 days so im trying to get information on walleye because i go up there with food only for breakfast and lunch and dinner is what you catch.But i catch all the fish like pike,bass,walleye,lakers,and perch. But i need some walleye help i have a fishfinder but i need more tips on finding walleye.

thats insanely bad planning for a trip.

Wanderer

I was thinking another breakfast and lunch should be planned then. winkgrin

Nature,

Unless you know the lake and the fish - bring your food. Likely you'll catch fish for dinner but what the heck. Besides, maybe you wind up being out there longer than planned.

I'd offer fishing advice but have never been to Sag.

Good luck. Please let us know how it goes out there. smile

duluthdangler

We were just in the Boundary Waters on some very productive lakes with 5 experienced fishermen and were barely able to scrape together one good fish meal. Sometimes the fish just don't bite. I would always recommend you plan on your meals based on catching 0 fish. You can go a couple days hungry I guess but why?

knifelaker

I was in the boundary waters for 2 weeks plus in june on knife one trip and iron the next, there are plenty of fish to eat we had fish every single night, we only ate walleye, lakers and crappies. take leeches, floating jig heads and a bobber and hooks

Brandon0629

Looks like we're going to be staying a week on Fenske Lake mid July. Anyone got any info/tips. Looks like a smally/Pike/panfish lake. Also any info on Little Sletton and Everett?

Thanks

andrew chadwick

well im goin up to sag in 2 days so im trying to get information on walleye because i go up there with food only for breakfast and lunch and dinner is what you catch.But i catch all the fish like pike,bass,walleye,lakers,and perch. But i need some walleye help i have a fishfinder but i need more tips on finding walleye. [/quote

what happens when you get a day with wind so bad you cant get the canoe out, or it thunderstorms all day and you cant get out. I would

bring at least 3 back up meals.

Northdrifter08

Just got back from vacation from Farm Lake. Fishing was good last week until thursday night.

then the mayflies started hatching.

We were on Fall Lake last week and the evening mayfly hatch was pretty impressive... Did great on Trout (just down the road) but so so on walleyes...

• 5 weeks later...
threeball

I'll break the ice. My walleye fishing, after the early season, has not been good. I hope everyone else has done better than I have done.

I did have one bright spot: 30 1/8 inces, not weighed, White Iron Lake

30185cropped.jpg

30185boarded.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Wanderer

You and your hawgs Mr. H. crazy Sweet catch!

We plied the shallows for pike on White Iron for a few hours here and there over the weekend. We had some ideas to check out and new water to look at.

Blech! lots of little slimers and a few smallies. A couple of the smallies were pretty decent and came out of the shallow weeds. One on a big spinner bait and the other on a Yozuri slash bait.

But the biggest catch was about a 170 pounder. On an X-Rap. A strike, a pull, a missed hook set and a flying lure firmly stuck to the inside of my knee. shocked

One piece of advice on the line trick to get hooks out of yourself or your buddy. COMMIT to the yank! It does nobody any good to test the direction! cry

Its really not too bad when done correctly.

Neighbor_guy

Sorry to hyjac the thread....

Hey W, if you are serious about that "fishing alternative" Tomarrow would be the day, It will be the last Tuesday night out for the summer for the Neighbor_Guy. School next week crazy

Send me an email or give me a shout if you are in.....

• 1 month later...
mnclayshooter

Just throwin' a post out there... got back from a week of kayak fishing all around the Sawbill/Caribou Trails area near Lutsen/Tofte. Fished, Four Mile, Crescent, Holly, Deer Yard, Caribou, Christine... and one other that I can't recall the name of.

Orange 1/8 jig with brown fuzz-e-grub or twister tail body was the thing working for me for the few 'eyes that were biting. Lindy rig with fatheads were working earlier in the week when it was 80 degrees.

Got into a run of smallmouths (while trying to find some 'eyes) on Crescent for an hour or so on a floating lindy rig.

Hope it helps someone!

• 1 month later...
Northlander

Hit Island Lake for a while today. Awesome weather today for the fisherman but the fish must have been laying back having cocktails in the sand. Only managed 3 eyes in the 14" range, some nice blue gills but no crappies. I think the Lund is done for the year now. frown

• 2 months later...
Ely Lake Expert

I am yet to catch a fish through the ice this year, though ive been out twice. I have to change that asap.

Went out on Island this past saturday (1-16) and had a great time. I have been fishing Island pretty hard this winter with little results, so sat. night I decided to just put tip-ups out close to my dad's house and sit on shore and have a cold one. It was slow right untill the sun hit the tree tops and then the pike turned on.(wierd that pike would "turn on" at sunset) I did end up catching 3 pike with one that was pretty large, 1 nice walleye, and one perch. As far as fishing standards go it was slow for anyone, but as far as island lake standards go, it was pretty fun.

How come nobody posts any of their reports? In almost every other thread people keep the fishing reports thread current, you would think that Duluth being so close to alot of fishing would to...??

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Jim Almquist

Made it out on Superior yesterday with the lake laying down enough for my boat but did have to contend with a little fog right by the Ws. entry but having the trail on my GPS made it pretty easy to get out. Went down to Dutchman's and started trolling towards the Amnicon in shallow water 12'to 18' and caught 3 Coho and lost another before they shut down. Went out to deeper water and ended up trolling back towards the entry and caught 2 more in 35'of water well inside the mud line. Caught 2 on silver and 2 on 57 chevy and 1 on a emerald shiner and lost 2 more before they got to the boat. The temps that I caught fish at was between 44.7 and 45.5 and the water was at least murky to muddy. When the waves started to pick up I was only able to catch fish when I was going with the waves even though I tried to keep my speed in that 2.4 to 2.8 range

• 3 weeks later...
S.S. Fiasco

how is the water clearity? and anyone catching fish on these waters? tried St. Louis today, thinkin i need to go inland or something.

gunflint

Island Lake clarity is about normal from what I can tell. I spent yesterday eliminating less than successful tactics however I got them dialed in today.

jwmiller33

however I got them dialed in today.

what presentation worked for you today gunflint? jigging? minnows?

Caught and kept a 14 inch tagged fish Saturday on Island Lake. It was tagged in 2006 and measured 12 inches. 2 inches of growth in 4 years. Pretty slow growth rate.

S.S. Fiasco

how is water level? goin there mid week. anyone know of new "lower unit killers" lurking around in normally safe waters?

how is water level? going there mid week. anyone know of new "lower unit killers" lurking around in normally safe waters?

I'm not sure of the current water level but Mother Nature was doing her part last night to bring things up a bit. Anyone wind up with a boat load of water after a late night of fishing? That was one heck of a storm around the area of the airport at least.

jwmiller33

lake is still about 5 feet low. was out yesterday and today and i noticed the water level went up only 1 or 2 inches from the rain last night.. i was really surprised.. with the way it was raining last night, i was expecting it to be a lot higher this morning when i showed up at the launch.. like i said, its about 5 feet down and be careful where you go... go a little slower then normal until you get a good path on your gps. i would highly recommend bringing a lakemaster chip out there. helps a lot

LoonASea

Thats suprising ,,,we got over 4 inches of rain here in Hermantown,,,I hope the creeks will bring some water to the local lakes

LAS

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Surface Tension

I heard the airport got that much rain. Some areas only got 1/4". It'll take some time to fill up.

Northlander

We probably only got 1/4 to 1/2" tops in Souptown. Its going to take a lot more than 4 or 5" of rain to get Island Lake back up to normal again. I really dont think it will happen this summer.

PiedmontAngler

We were in the area of 1/4" only. I was surprised how narrow that band of rain was as it passed through.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Spent the weekend at Vacationland, Otttertail. Lake level down almost 3 feet so only one landing with enough water to launch a boat. With 20 to 30 MPH winds and 3 to 4 ft. waves we chose to fish surrounding smaller lakes. Had great time Catch & Release Bass fishing. My prise money fish was a sunfish.

My giant "Ottertail Money Sunfish" he looks sorta small cause I have very large hands and I held him a long way from the camera. He did put up a good fight. He is still swimming.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A fun week of walleye fishing as the water temps cool to the low 60's and fall colors have started.  The walleye are transitioning to fall locations.  Three different methods used to catch walleyes this week.  Drifting spinners, trolling crankbaits and anchored up and jigging with a minnow, which is becoming more effective each week.  
      Walleyes setting up across the south shore and with more shiners running, this trend will continue.  Jigging with a frozen shiner or live fathead has really started to be effective.  Give it 30-40 minutes and set up in a different spot if there is no action.  
      Congrats to all MN Tournament Trail tournament anglers this past week.  The winning team had a 7.52 lb avg per walleye for 10 fish.  There are a lot of big walleyes in Lake of the Woods right now.
      Daily limit is a combined limit of six walleyes and saugers (with up to 4 being walleyes).   Don't forget the slot, 19.5" - 28" must be returned with one allowed over 28" per day.  
      Fall is an excellent time to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchor up and jig over the side of the boat for a very enjoyable and typically memorable day.
      Pike are active and most are caught but unsuspecting walleye anglers.  The feedbag is definitely on.  
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River.  Some good runs so far, good angler reports and nice walleyes being caught.  Fall on the river is nice as a small boat will work just fine.
      Most walleye anglers on the river are anchoring up along an edge or in a hole with a jig and minnow.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from Wheeler's Point through Baudette to Birchdale with lots of boat ramps.  
      Sturgeon activity has picked up as well with good fall reports.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Excellent fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler or a minnow continue to be effective.  As water cools, minnows on some days are outfising crawlers.  
      Areas with structure continue to hold fish.  18 - 27 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto on structure and neck down areas.
      Pike and muskie anglers are locating fish on weedy points using double blade spinners and topwater.  A lot of fish are caught on figure eight.
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Please note, no live, frozen or dead bait allowed into Canada from the U.S.  The various plastics on a jig are working well.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.
      Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great walleye action this week with numerous pike mixed in.  Walleyes are starting to gravitate to fall patterns.  Walleyes being caught in various depths 13 - 34 feet of water.  Most anglers are still drifting with spinners or trolling crankbaits, but the jig bite is picking up steam. 
      Water temps in the upper 50's and low 60's.  Walleyes setting up across the south shore and with more shiners running, this trend will continue.  
      Reef fishing is starting to pick up.  Jigging with a frozen shiner on or near reefs is a fall goto and things are just starting.
      September and October are excellent months to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchored up with a jig and minnow, this is a fun time of year.
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners are continuing to run in the Rainy River.  Some good runs so far and walleyes are showing up.  Anglers are catching fish in the river.  Fall is here.
      Most walleye anglers on the river will anchor up along an edge or in a hole with a jig and minnow.  Fishing is taking place from Wheeler's Point to Baudette to Birchdale.
      Fall is a great time to fish sturgeon, bass and pike on the river, although the vast majority of anglers are after walleyes.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Excellent fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler or a minnow is effective.  Minnows on some days are starting to be preferred by the walleyes.  Try both.  
      Areas with structure continue to hold fish.  18 - 27 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto.
      Pike and muskie anglers are locating fish on weedy points using double blade spinners and topwater.  Some nice fish boated this week.
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Please note, no live, frozen or dead bait allowed into Canada from the U.S.  The various plastics on a jig are working well.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.
      Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• AnglerJake
      By AnglerJake
      Heading up to Garden Lake Resort Sep 16 - 24. Any reports or tips from up there? Thanks!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Another really strong week of walleye fishing.  
      One of the main areas to fish is still deep mud.  Basically 28 - 34 feet of water.  Various schools of walleyes move around the basin relating to different kinds of forage.  
      Big walleyes eat a lot of everything but really key in on tullibees (ciscos) who live primarily in the basin.  Other forage can be perch, perch minnows, emerald shiners, blood worms, crayfish, and the list goes on.  
      Various schools holding shallower, over rocks or sand, based on bait options in that area.  Reefs are still holding fish, normally on the sides and base where rock meets the mud.   
      Drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers and trolling crankbaits are still very effective for catching walleyes this week.
      As we approach mid to late September and October, the jig bite will fire back up!
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes hanging out in some of the deeper holes throughout the river.  Moving up and down the river, hitting numerous spots until you find which areas have walleyes is a good method for success.
      Some anglers trolling crankbaits to cover water.  Oftentimes, walleyes won't show up on electronics if they are laying in a depression in the river bottom.  Only way to know is to fish the area.
      Bass and pike are plentiful on structure, docks and weed edges.  Hitting various "goto" spots up and down the river is a fun and normally productive day.    
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Great fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 28 - 33 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler is effective.
      Underwater points, sunken islands and neck down areas with a bit of current in 18 - 27 feet holding fish.  These areas are good areas to jig.
      Pike and muskie anglers are still finding good fish on weedy points using jerkbaits and topwater. 
      Travel via vehicle through Canada to the Angle is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages around LOW, the NW Angle, Baudette and the Rainy River at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging.  

• klee103
      By klee103
      How are the lakes across southern Minnesota? 
      Do they "green" up with the summer heat?
      Are there any lakes you would recommend for sunfish, crappie or perch?  
      Looking to do a day trip or 2 this fall to somewhere from Fairmont to Mankato.

Any recommendations?
      Thanks!
    • Draht
      By Draht
      www.fuyu-outdoors.com
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      What a year it has been with this drought. The Mighty Mississippi isn't so mighty anymore but doesn't stop the smallmouth from eating. Got out for a nice evening float after work and found a few quality Bronzebacks. 

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The walleye fishing remains good.  It really helps to be versatile.  It seems one day fish are set up in an area and the next they slid somewhere else.  
      There has been some good fishing in 25-29' in front of Pine Island.  When the south wind blows, the Zippel Bay and Graceton Beach area have been productive.  These fish have been in the 17-21' area and are mainly small fish and eaters with some slots thrown in.
      Still big numbers of fish in various areas of the deep mud, 28-24'.  
      Reefs are still holding some fish as well.  Fish could be on top, on the sides or relating to the deep mud just off of the edges over the mud.   
      Drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers and trolling crankbaits are the goto techniques for putting fish in the boat.
      Hammered gold with glow white or glow red, yellow, orange and red/white are colors doing well.  
      The top team in the AIM MN Championship on Friday and Saturday had 88.62 lbs for 10 walleyes to take first place.  Some big fish were caught despite windy conditions.   
      On the Rainy River...   The river producing a mixed bag of walleyes, saugers, pike, bass, and sturgeon.  Spinners / crawlers or trolling crankbaits are a good way to locate walleyes.  Some walleyes holding in deep holes can be jigged once you find them.  
      Bass and pike holding on structure, docks and weed edges.  Hitting various "goto" spots up and down the river is a fun and normally productive day.    
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Great fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 28 - 33 feet.  Spinners and crankbaits are effective in covering water and catching these fish as there are various pods scattered in the deep mud.
      Various structure, such as underwater points and sunken islands, are also holding some walleyes, as they normally do.  Not all walleyes in the system are keyed into the same forage.  
      Pike and muskie anglers finding fish on weedy points using jerkbaits and topwater. 
      Travel via vehicle through Canada to the Angle now open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  
      To travel up to the Angle and avoid the border crossing, vaccination cards and COVID test results, charter boat transport and float planes are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• cherokeeref
      By cherokeeref
      Wondering what water levels are compared to a normal year? Will be up early/mid September. Thx in advance.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.