• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

FowlSki
On 12/10/2019 at 7:37 AM, AlwaysFishing23 said:

There is still a lot of moving water. This morning it’s -3 but that’s not nearly cold enough to get things rolling for the harbor. Be patient it’ll be ready within the next Few weeks probably. 

Lol!  You serious smalls?

Harv

Well, maybe I spoke too soon?!?  Drove down Park Point to take a look and there was between 50 to 60 houses / people on the Harbor this afternoon.  

Anyone know how much ice?

• Thanks 1

ripstick

One goes out the rest will follow.

• Thumbs Up 1

AlwaysFishing23

There was 20-30 houses out there when I drove past on Sunday afternoon. A lot of floating chunks out in the harbor. For sure won’t catch me out there that’s for sure! 

• Wow, ❤ 1

AlwaysFishing23

I was in town for a bit this morning and there was 20 or so houses. Ice looked pretty good yet with the rain and warm temps the last week. Heard the ice is “fishable” out there from a buddy up there but didn’t have time to verify it for myself. be safe if you give it a try.

• I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

Harv

Anyone fishing out there?  I've been out twice; 8 to 10 inches of ice depending on where you drill.  Compared to the past couple years, not much luck in terms of the size of the fish.  

Anyone having any luck?  You can PM if you want instead of posting it here.  I've gotten some nice size fish in the past but now nothing but cigars

• Thanks 1

Rick

From Marine General an hour ago.

We received an ice condition update for the Duluth Harbor!  As always use your best judgement when going onto any ice.

"There is a crack that opened up the length of Park Point just offshore separating the land from the rest of the harbor.  Open water just shy of the Rowing Club.  A lot of cracked up stuff past that"

steeplechaser2

Fished out of Rowing Club area on the harbor.  Ice is decent and about 7" thick.  Some haunting cracks and chunks on the way out though. Fishing was VERY SLOW for us.  A few small walleyes over the weekend, none big enough to keep.  Fished from 7 to 13 feet with very little on the flashers.  🤷‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 1

FishinFreak17

Fished out by the airport  around noon til dark on Jan 20 and 21, had about 10-12' of clear ice in 9-10' FOW.  snow drifts can get about 18' deep, but no problem for a snowmobile.  Most people walked out.  Now for the bad news, lots of lookers, but only 4 bites in 9 hours of fishing.  We did get a nice 42" sturgeon on a tipup with a lite pike minnow.  that was all the excitement we had.  Any jigging motion and the fish would bolt.  Hope it improves soon, others out there had similar results.   Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

FishinFreak17

Tried another 2 days on the harbor, Sunday and Monday afternoon.  Sun, out by the airport in 10 FOW. One 10" walleye and several small fish bites that I had lifted off the bottom.  Small pink doodlebug finally caught it.  Many fish on finder, only one large mark showed up in 5 hours.  Monday, Went out near the rowing club (36th ave) to 9 FOW.  lots of lookers, no fish.  Talked to a few others out there, nothing caught over 11".  Rough out there!  good luck to anyone heading out on the harbor.  I am heading north from now on. 

• Thanks 1

Harv

The Harbor has been a TOUGH BITE this year.  Where are all the bigger fish at?  

• Thanks 1

JBMasterAngler

What are the parking hours at park point?

FishinFreak17

Five of us fished out off the rowing club again yesterday morning until 1130 (when the winds really picked up, so did we).   Only a few fished graphed, a couple of lite bites, no fish again!  9.4 FOW, tried several colors jigging, deadsticks had the bites on a chartreuse jig and a pink and white tingler spoon.   I have no idea where the fish are, but I can confirm where they are not!  good luck out there.

• Thanks 1

tacklejunkie

Lake Superior was HOT this morning!!!

It all stopped after 10 am but 5 lakers, one king, and lost a dandy walleye. Spoons no particular color

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Wishin4Walleyes

Where bouts? Was in TH and went 1 for 5 with 1 king. It was slow with a lot of really short strikes.

• Thumbs Up 1

tacklejunkie
Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2020 at 10:10 PM, Wishin4Walleyes said:

Where bouts? Was in TH and went 1 for 5 with 1 king. It was slow with a lot of really short strikes.

I was outside the Wisconsin entry.  They were dredging between the lighthouses so they dirtied up the water a little bit  but from where it went from that mud puddle color to that less stained is where they were all caught

Edited by tacklejunkie
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Wanderer

Sounds like they may have dredged up a bunch of food!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

tacklejunkie
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Sounds like they may have dredged up a bunch of food!

I’ve been actually catching more walleyes out there than I can ever recall. I wonder if maybe the dredging might have something to do with it

I just might slip in a few trolling rods with crawler harnesses in my ride locker next time and if the lake trout aren’t biting I may just sort of slip right into the Wisconsin entry and might just happen to drop some crawler harnesses

Edited by tacklejunkie
  • Thumbs Up 2

Rick

Did you try it out?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fishing remains excellent with a nice mix of eaters, slots and trophy walleyes.   Two great ways to catch walleyes this time of year, crawler harnesses and crankbaits.  Walleyes are hanging out on the deep mud in 30 - 36' of water.  Cover water by drifting or trolling.  Crawler harnesses (snelled spinners) in hammered gold, pink, glow or orange with a 1-2 ounce weight.  The second technique is trolling crankbaits through various schools of walleyes over the deep mud.  Get lures down with lead core line, a 4 ounce bottom bouncer, snap weights, 3 way rig or downriggers.  Switch colors often but some starters, pink uv firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger, and gold.  
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes are scattered on flats and in deeper holes.  Trolling crankbaits this time of year to cover water is effective.  Mix of walleyes and saugers.  Sturgeon anglers targeting deep holes with sturgeon rigs and crawlers or frozen emerald shiners.  Smallmouth bass and pike active around current breaks, rocky areas and weed edges. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle via boat.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Strong walleye bite with lots of eater fish on the mud adjacent to reefs and islands throughout the Angle.  Much like the south end, spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both are producing good numbers of fish.  Pike and muskies being caught casting bays and trolling rocky point areas.  Smallies in their summer pattern, 4 - 15' in rocky areas. 

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      Had a fun time camping at Bowstring and fishing monday to wednesday. 95 % I would say were using jig and minnow.  We fished crawlers cuz it's what we do... lol Brought 100 up there from the back yard. Didn't bring any home.  Caught 32 altogether. Had a nice meal monday p.m. and brought a few home, the rest stayed there. We brought 16 nice perch back home also. Water was about 54 in the morning and would get up to 60 or so. Fish were deeper than we have fished in the past. 14 to 20 was a good area. Hope to get back up there the end of June for a couple days and then in September. Brother in law had a couple nice 19's and I had a nice 20 for our biggest. Weather was about as nice as it can possibly get which aint the best for eyes but tons better than the freeze to death that we had a year earlier !

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      When was the last time you heard anyone rant and rave about Eurasian Water Milfoil? Introduced to MN in 1987 and through the 90’s, we complained, complained, blamed the DNR, cried that this invasive weed was going to kill off many fish because the invasive plant overtook native vegetation. DNR, lake associations and others monitored lake assesses for years to prevent transfer to no avail. Were creatures of habit and don’t like change. And NO Eurasians Water Milfoil did not kill off all the fish, as lots of fish still are caught along the much easier defined weed lines. Of the 388 DNR reported infested lakes only 20 new lakes were added in the last year and ½ and no longer seen to be an issue.
      Now we have a Zebra Mussel invasion, introduced to MN in 1995 with the same, rant & rave as was with the EW Milfoil, fostered by the DNR and news media with all the negative effects. They will eat all the Zooplankton fish food, large attachments to solid objects, sharp shells on bottom cutting swimmers feet etc. What we hear little about Zebras each adult filters 1 quart of water daily eating algae, a single cell plant Phytoplankton, including the toxic Blue-Green algae which for years been known to kill fish, dogs and humans. A female can produce a million eggs annually so the spread in infested lakes is rapid. Within a couple years the green, brown lakes are clear promoting vegetation growth to deeper water providing more cover for smaller fish. It ticks us fishing people off because our fishing techniques used for the last 50 years no longer work as fish feeding habits change. For us avid fishing people we will learn the new fish feeding habits on infested lakes rather quickly while occasional fishers may never learn new techniques which will increase fish population. While Zebras filter vast amount of algae they secrete a highly nutrient feces on the lake bottom providing a smorgasbord for bottom feeders including many of the minnows and other bait we use. After 4 to 5 years a large number of zebra die as their algae food supply is depleted.
      Hang in there, 465 bodies of MN waters already infected with Zebras with70 in 2019/2020. Infestation will continue as most boat access will not be monitored and the vast majority of boaters could care less about prevention. Another infestation will most likely happen and we will no longer focus on Zebras. Just a thought.
      The first excel file is the DNR link to all infestations. Second file Eurasian milfoil and Zebra lakes

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/eco/invasives/infested-waters.xlsx

Zebra-Eurasion infested.xlsx

• SoldierGirl
      By SoldierGirl
      So after returning to Minnesota after living pretty much everywhere else, I have finally returned to fishing.  Didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.  I'm tired of fishing the river under the bridge like a troll so I'm looking for some good spots to shore fish around Ottertail.  My regular spot is too warm now and the fish have moved on.    I'm one of the odd balls who's not into muskies or walleyes.  Really prefer bluegill and bass.  I'm a bobber, nightcrawler and beer kinda girl.  Any advice on where to go?  How are the lakes in Maplewood State Park.
    • SoldierGirl
      By SoldierGirl
      So after returning to Minnesota after living pretty much everywhere else, I have finally returned to fishing.  Didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.  I'm tired of fishing the river under the bridge like a troll so I'm looking for some good spots to shore fish around Ottertail.  My regular spot is too warm now and the fish have moved on.    I'm one of the odd balls who's not into muskies or walleyes.  Really prefer bluegill and bass.  I'm a bobber, nightcrawler and beer kinda girl.  Any advice on where to go?  How are the lakes in Maplewood State Park.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The deep summer "Dog Days" patterns for walleyes are in full swing producing excellent fishing.  As a rule, the big walleyes are hanging out on the deep mud in 30 - 34' of water.  Two main techniques, drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers or leeches at about 1.0 - 1.25 MPH.  Hammered gold, hammered silver and glow white are good starting colors.  The second technique is trolling crankbaits through various schools of walleyes over the deep mud.  Switch colors often but some starters, pink uv firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger, and gold.  Some walleyes are still being caught shallow based on forage opportunities.  Different schools taking advantage of current conditions in different areas.  Watch electronics and go fishing!
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes scattered on flats and in deeper holes.  Trolling crankbaits and covering water effective.  Sturgeon living in deep holes throughout river.  Smallmouth bass and pike active around current breaks, rocky areas and weed edges. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle services available and fishing for multi species has been excellent.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Good walleye fishing continues north of Garden Island, around Little Oak Island and areas north and east of Little Oak with deeper mud.  Spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both producing good numbers of walleyes.  Pike and muskies in deep bays and rocky points.  Smallmouth bass in 4 - 14' in rocky areas reacting well to crankbaits.  

• AlexKempston
      By AlexKempston
      Has anyone caught any muskie/musky on any of the Horseshoe/Sauk River Chain of Lakes this year? 
    • Jacksonlong32
      By Jacksonlong32
      Me and my buddy are here in emily MN for the next couple days, we both love fishing and wanted to take a shot in the dark at finding someone that could get us out on the water fishing. We would pay you and pay for gas.
    • Yancimator
      By Yancimator
      After fishing every handful in years in Minnesota for 40 years, I'm FINALLY going to bring my wife up to Vermillion and see it for the first time.   I'm chasing smallmouth and pike only (well, I'll gladly wrestle with a fooled Musky but not fishing for them).   If the largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouths, we'd probably chase some of them too.    Staying at Ludlows on the island.   Boy I'd love ANY help with where to start my searching for the smallies and pike and what to key in on that time of year.   I'll have basically two days to fish and will have my own bass boat.   I am an artificial bait only guy and catch and release.   Just looking for a bunch of tugs on the line and hopefully put my wife on some action.  Any guidance or direction??   

How deep are the smallies and what do they relate to that time of year?   Are the pike around visible weeds or submerged cabbage or something?   I'm coming in clueless.   Sure appreciate ANY help anyone's willing to provide.   Thanks!!!   Yancey from St. Louis, MO
    • LUCIFER
      By LUCIFER
      How do the blueberries look this years?

Thanks in advance.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• BigVTim
      Nice work gents! Looks like the back-end of summer bite is heating up. Love this time of year as we head into Sept. How is the water level with all the storms passing through? Has looked rainy lately. Last I was up was early July after that 8" rain storm and the levels were back up to normal after being low in June.
    • cgreene
      Good luck fishing! Im also fond of fly fishing. I find it easier to fish when you have the best fly fishing rods. If youre looking to upgrade your rod, you can check here.
    • BrianF
      Seven specie day today.  Live bait not required!  Couple of things of note...   I caught eight nice crappies this morning on a deep rock reef, along with a bunch of plump gills. Seems odd, but I’ll take it.  This afternoon, I targeted ciscos and whitefish out over the basin. Success!  Was happy since I now know whitefish can be targeted year round, not just thru the ice.  I also enjoyed the challenge of a different species that not many folks know about.  Was a unique and fun experience.  By the way, everything I caught was immediately released.   
    • Better Than Working!
      Congratulations on your retirement bfisherman11! I hope you enjoy every moment of it!
    • bfisherman11
      Our week (7/25-8/1) wasn't greatly productive fish wise but I could never really get a pattern to work. I usually use a lindy rig with a half crawler. When we did try jig/minnow not much either. The start of the week the wind was tough to hold on a spot. Later we had no wind and high temps. I marked some surface temps that were like 78 deg, that's pretty warm.   I went down to Brule narrows one day, never been before. Picked a reef and caught a 19" eye pretty quick and then boat control got to be an issue.   Might try a week in Sept once I am retired (Friday is my last day) but I sure miss the ability to fish north of the border.   Bill 
    • SkunkedAgain
      Thanks Jim. I value all opinions, because I really don't want to spend the cash on a subpar product that makes my life worse!
    • moderation
      What is the best time of year for brookies. I've tried spring but waters too cold, summer, bugs bad but fishing good. Never tried fall but I am think that might be the ticket. Usually use worms but sometimes spinner. Is there a special trick to keep the chubs away? Lots of them in my creek.
    • delcecchi
      I believe the facility at Ash River is still operating... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOvA https://novaexperiment.fnal.gov/
    • jim curlee
      Good luck with your toilet. LOL Let me know how it works after a weekend when the kids and grandkids are there using it? Not sure how the Biolet works, we had a top of the line Sun Mar. There is a tray in the bottom of the unit that is supposed to hold the extra urine that goes through the compost material. After a weekend with 5 females, and 3 males using it that tray would be full to overflowing. Wouldn't have been a problem if the girls would have cleaned it out. They didn't, I had to. The whole bottom of that unit would have an inch of urine in there, that is GROSS!   Oh yea, there's an overflow tube on the Sun Mar. This would fill up with the fine compost material, and plug up, now where do you think the overflow goes? And yes, I had 2 fans in my exhaust pipe, no it didn't help it dry out any faster, but they did help keep the smell down. The only thing I can say about ours is that there are plenty of people out there that wanted to buy it when we were done using it. They do keep a good value, especially up here. If I was you I'd check out more than one brand, and one user. I'm guessin if you posted a question on facebook, you might get a variety of user opinions. We hated ours, maybe you'll love yours. I'll just leave this topic alone, and wish you good luck. lol Jim            
    • SkunkedAgain
      We might as well re-title this thread "Interesting Things To Learn On Vermilion." Thanks for enlightening me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.