• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Been pretty hush hush around here lately.  I know guys are going out, but haven't heard much of any reports. 

Seems like the weekends are windy as all get out and the calm days come in the middle of the week so a little hard to shore fish. The ice will be here soon and that will change things up.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

I'm headed up to Koma/Malberg/Polly in the BWCA in a few weeks, anyone here familiar with those lakes and willing to share any walleye tips/spots for mid June fishing?  

Happy to report back how we did and what worked when we get back.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

June 5 Lake Superior Report.    Time: 2 rigs parked at Rice's Point. :)

Morning started out with strong West winds and left over swells from high winds out of the NE.   It was a morning with an open window from a weeks worth of overcast and rains.   I had to be off the water by 11 AM for an engagement I couldn't miss. 

We stayed between Duluth Entry and the Apartments. 50-80 FOW,  why there, it was windy.   Surface temps 47-52 and a cold layer of water 40' down.       Purple Metallic Bomber was best lure for us.  Orange over gold bomber and again in metallic caught fish both on top.   Increased the setback and releases started to pop.    It was hard to resist the layer so went  30" down on a dispy,  a green/blue Howie fly behind a flasher,  it took a laker.   The wind actually died down for a while and debri fielded showed.  Hate pulling up lines when your on the fish but as said I had to.    Turned out it saved us from getting poured on hard and some pretty good gusts.

• 8 months later...

Took the girlfriend out in the Duluth area too look for some gills and crappies...Another awesome day, couldn't even tell ya how many gills we caught...No monsters, a lot of eater sized fish...Kept a few for a gill dinner..

20170206_171439.jpg

20170206_153338.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Had a solid morning of fishing, a lot of nice crappies and even some bonus river gills...Chartreuse  1/16oz jig/plastic was the best... Love March fishing

20170319_130215.jpg

20170319_114310.jpg

20170319_110058.jpg

20170319_101444.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

The walleye bite on Devilfish lake is great. Some lakers and nice rainbows have been coming Trout lake. Kimball is giving up rainbows as well just not as big. Lake trout and salmon are starting to bite on Superior in the grand Marais area. If you like brook trout check out the small streams and rivers.

I can verify the trout bite out of Kimball Lake in about 14 hours :grin: I talked to my dad yesterday (he's already up there), he caught a 4 pound lake trout from shore on Superior, right in front of our motel.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good luck JB. My family says the bite is on for most lakes

Fresh laker this morning for breakfast yum

lol I posted that Friday but with no service it must went when I ran into town for new hose

• 10 months later...

St. Louis River opening weekend - this was the first time in 7 years the Arrowhead flats did not produce for us.  We moved up river and found a few small eyes just above Spirit lake and only 2 keepers by noon.  Lots of boats around, but very few nets out.  jigging plastics caught the keepers (20" and 21").  Bottom bouncing with pink or chartreuse worm harnesses caught the little ones.   No hits on hammered gold harnesses...very surprised by that.

Sunday - Better morning for us, 10 eyes boated with 2 keepers early (jigging in 6-12 FOW).  caught small mouth, rock and white bass with an occasional perch while BB.  The evening bite was better, only one boat near us.  Jigging in 6 FOW with gold jigs and plastics got us 2 crappie and 3 keepers.  Overall, very slow opener and should have headed up to Boy Scout, heard better reports from others at the docks.  All males, still had sperm sacks intact or milting.  Water temp was 54-55.   

• 2 months later...

Headed north to a little perch and walleye lake this morning. The day didn't start the greatest, go to take off from the landing and the boat porpoised like a mofo... Ah crap forgot the plug haha haven't done that one in a few years... The day got better from there, we found fish stacked up on the wind blown weed line... There were so many fish I assumed they were schools of big perch, but they were mostly smaller walleyes with some real nice keepers mixed in... Crawlers under a bobber were the ticket... They would hardly touch a leech.

20180716_143943.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I went back up north of Duluth again this morning and tried a different little walleye lake and it panned out very nicely... If I could have a cabin on a lake it would be this lake... The access is pretty rough, but if you got a roller trailer it's all good in the hood... I found them stacked up on the edge of a little weed bed. They didn't fire up until about 9 o'clock, but when they did it one after another... You know they are fired up when you catch 7 on 7 casts haha that was a 1st for me. Jig and plastic was the best with rigging leeches 2nd best... 

20180723_125215.jpg

20180723_121911.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

• 3 weeks later...

Damn boy, I love those gills :) 

Where were you and what did you catch them on? :D 

Top secret lake ;)... I've only fished it a few times in the winter and I've never caught a gill out there, but the survey said they are in there. So I guess they are right ha... In the winter hands down my favorite fish to fish for. Big red mark slowly coming up to your jig and you just know it's a tank haha.

• Thumbs Up 1

This lake pisses me off, I know them big tanks are in there, but I can never find them in the winter...Maybe I'll have to try the boat in there.

Screenshot_20180809-102641_Chrome.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Lake trout are being caught at 60' and some coho at 50' using gold/orange jigging spoons.

Reports that the shoreline ice of Lake Superior near Duluth is 5.5" to 6".

Ice conditions can change at any moment on the big lake. It can be dangerous so keep safety top of mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I'm getting pumped to head back up the Gunflint this coming May. Here's a video I made from last June. Incredible smallmouth action on top water, jerk baits, and wacky worms!

• I Like it 1

• 8 months later...

I doubt it, but you can check the harbor cams during the day.  http://www.duluthharborcam.com/p/blog-page_13.html

As we drove into Duluth Friday afternoon there were 4 ships outside the lift bridge waiting. It was stuck down from ice after the big storm and I think it just got running again Thursday.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is still a lot of moving water. This morning it’s -3 but that’s not nearly cold enough to get things rolling for the harbor. Be patient it’ll be ready within the next Few weeks probably.