• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ok, I may be ahead of myself here, but am really ready to start the season...any reports from any area lakes on ice thickness and who has been out yet..Thanks guys

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

A lot of the area lakes froze over Fri night when temps dipped to 0.

Some of those larger lakes still had open water in parts.

Anything that was frozen has a couple inches of snow on top the ice.

We're looking at an 1" or less of ice right now.

With highs in the 20's and lows in single digits for the next week,

I think you'll see guys out next weekend.

I can wait a week...I only weigh 130#..maybe 160 all swaddled up..lol Not in the mood for an ice bath yet. I am buying picks this year too..like everyone says..no ice is safe ice..

Ok, I may be ahead of myself here, but am really ready to start the season...any reports from any area lakes on ice thickness and who has been out yet..Thanks guys

Here is a fresh report for you. Tim from HiBanks on the fish lake narrows is reporting 1 1/2 inches of ice on all of the test holes they checked. He said everything locked up at once before the snow so it looks to be quality ice. He is thinking with the expected temps for this week that things should be looking good for some foot travel by next weekend.

Stop by and say hello and tell him to keep the reports coming. Have fun and be safe. smile

From what I saw from the landing, it looked like Chub Lake in Carlton was completely froze over on the 24th. Didn't try to walk on it.

I'm going to check to a small lake out by Cloquet with a spud tomorrow...Saturday I was able to walk about 15yds on a lake by my hunting grounds...

Pike Lake in Duluth is one of the last lakes to freeze and open up. I passed by this Saturday and saw ice all the way out to the point. BC

i did a lake tour yesterday. all lakes i checked-rice, island, fish- were froze over with 1.5"-2" of ice near their accesses... going to be real soon!

Pike Lake in Duluth is one of the last lakes to freeze and open up. I passed by this Saturday and saw ice all the way out to the point. BC

I passed by this am and from what I saw, it's locked up

Island Lake still has a lot of open water iin the west basin. Skim ice this morning but the wind took that.

Hey Mike,

Great to hear from ya! I think you should take a kid fishing this year... It would be nice to chat for a bit. I think I'm overdue on getting you some homemade jam to share with the grand kids. wink

Hopefully all is going well and we can make that happen.

Thought this would be a good thing to reference when thinking about how much ice might be out there by the weekend.

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/ice-growth/

Looks like with the weather we've been having, could be up to 4+" by friday.

Also, don't forget this with it being the beginning of the ice year.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/ice/icecard.pdf

Went out yesterday and checked a small 75 acre lake by Cloquet and it had about 2.5in of ice...im going to bring the fishing gear out thursday and check it again..If theres four I'm going to try and kick off the season

went out of hi banks this afternoon and chipped around.... no where near 3 inches of ice i would advise stay off. ice went from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 in a couple of feet. No fish is worth your life. with this cold weather ice will get better. Stay Safe!

Checked the ice on Long Lake in Twig.

1.75" of ice with at least 6" of snow on top.

ZKnuckey - thanks for the report. How much snow was there on the ice? It's too bad all that snow couldn't have held off for another week or two. I foresee lots of slush once some holes start getting punched with the weight of all that snow

there was 4-5 inches of snow out there today. as long as it stays cold we can be alright but some warm temps could really screw things up

Went out and fished a local sconnie lake with Sherpa today. Had 1-1/2" to about 3". Snow covered areas were no no.. Stayed on the darker transitions and we were able to get tip ups in. Played it safe with picks, rope, pfd and throwable. Also stayed away from each other. Managed one pike 31". See what tomorrow brings. Be careful!

BD., always "up" for a fishing partner. I only fish when I am alone or with someone. Will have 2 houses out here again and "float" with the portable. You are always welcome to come out here. No hockey anymore so I have more time than ever.

Hey Mike glad to hear from you. I was at the Bulldog hockey game Friday and they showed some of your "younger" days on the big screen. Man you were rockin that mustache. LOL.

Maybe me and BD110 will come up and fish with ya this winter.

Hey Northlander, Would love to fish with ya. Usually around here most of the time. Head up to LOW but do most fishing here. Stay in touch.

I hear the ticket for a weekend fish is south or north of the twin ports were there has been less snow to inhibit the ice formations.

The weight from the snow has brought water on top the ice and a thin crust on top of that.

If the forecast holds, that crud on top should melt and the water drain.

Thats a good thing. The bad is we won't be getting out for at least two weeks.

As of 4:00 pm., there is still a lot of open water here in the West Basin of Island Lake. Going to be awhile before we can get out here. Please everyone, be careful and use your heads. No fish is that important to risk your well-being. BE SAFE.

With the warm temps and possible rain the next 3 days, I wouldn't recommend anyone go on ANY LAKES WITH ICE for a week to ten days.

You have nothing to gain, and a lot to lose.