• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Please post your fishing reports or questions to fishing reports here..

Everyone feel free to chime in with fishing reports, ice conditions , questions about the fishing etc.

Thanks smile

not sure which end of the bdub your talking about, but the gunflint side has been slow!!! most groups ive talked to fishing from north of bearskins all the way up to canadian side of sag have said about the same thing, one maybe... dont know if its just the weather or what not but i havent got anything yet and just a couple lookers. be trying to find some lakers here in the next week maybe one more time then ill be switching to pike and walters until my rabc comes in then ill go to canadia for the great fishin!

about a week late,, but ; hit a lake about 15-20 miles from GM on Sat and did quite well for lakers. Limited out too quick, wish we had let some of the smaller ones go.

Sunday- fished some new water, not much. That night, went for walleyes. Ended up coming in with alot of slush, and alot of work moving sleds/ etc. to get in. all for a 11" eye. Not worth it. Stay on the deeper lakes, as they seem to have froze over later to prevent all the snow and slush that accumulated on the shallower lakes that iced up earlier.

The lake that we fished for eyes is ruined for winter. Totally a mess when it comes to moving anything, even walking in it was a workout.

Might be a good opener lake thou,, in JUne with the way the weather is going.

Mudcutter, do you go to grand marais in june? I think I know which lakes you are talking about.

The slush and snow are deep but the willys are looking. you can get a few in the half hour bite but there 15-18 inch avg with alot of smaller fish. Every now and then a bigger fish comes through and the possibility is real for a 3 or four pound fish. the last few days have slowed the eyes down and alot of them are slow to come light to bite if at all. Last night I saw nine fish and missed 2. Can you guess the lake?? Good cuz im not saying lol

Comment

Write a comment...

Fished Island Res. the other day and got four waldo's. All were in the 12-15 in. range. Oh ya, and I was only out there for a hour and a half and only fished maybe an hr. due to moving around to find my spot. All in all not too bad of an outing...

Howdy,

Will be fishing out of Sawbill in June, seeing what helpful info I can find on a handfull of lakes: Temperance, Little Sag, Frost, Pan, Malberg, Koma and Lake Polly. Any success? What good in early June? Thanks!

Gunflint Trail BWCA sure has been producing! Just before we got the bad weather last night and today i managed to hook into three really nice lakers!!! Patterns did not seem to affect the fish because they were extremely aggresive!

-First One 30'' ~9-10lbs

IMG_0203.jpg

Next one was bigger at 36'' ~12lbs

Lakers007.jpg

Finally having a decent Day and not falling through the ice, thats what im talking about! Ill be out again prob tuesday or wednesday maybe sooner to the same spot and hopefully more lakers!

Nice fish Ice King. Looks like ya can feed the whole family(a few times). I gotta get out and chase some lakers. Is it bog stain that causes such a dark coloration? I've caught lakers on Gunflint Lake and they looked just like that.

Hey Ice King, Hows the ice conditions up the trail? Is it slushy? I'm thinking about heading up early Thursday morning.

Splake shaker, the slush is almost non existent. Didnt find any in the two spots i tried but im sure if you look hard enough youll find some... Yea those fish were a blast cant wait to get out again this week! I was actually thinking thursday too, but maybe wednesday. Hopefully get another one of those bad boys cause he sure tatsed great!

Splakeshaker, it's not bog stain that causes the color. Or at least not only that. I've caught lakers on Burntside, which is very clear and unstained except for a few of the bays, that were nearly black. Interestingly, the only ones that dark were over 6-8 pounds. All of the smaller fish I've caught on Bside were lighter than that.

Ice King, really nice lakers. Did you weigh that 36-inch fish?

Yea steve she was about 12 pounds(my scales a little chinsy). It was a blast though! Probably ties for first place for funnest fish to catch with spring run steelies on the shore. Ill be out again for sure this week and hope to get some more...

Splakeshaker, it's not bog stain that causes the color. Or at least not only that. I've caught lakers on Burntside, which is very clear and unstained except for a few of the bays, that were nearly black. ...

I caught this one on Lower Manitou. That lake is almost gin clear, no bog stain at all and this fish was almost as dark as night.

blacklakerrszac3.jpg

Yeah, lake trout are kinda' funny like that. Maybe it's similar to how a smallmouth bass is chameleon like, they change color with their surroundings. I've caught lakers out of superior and greenwood that were light silvery gray, and then out of gunflint or grindstone they were dark brown. Kinda' cool.

Pretty cool. I was just surprised to see them so dark. I guess I was expecting a lighter color. Thanks for the input.

whats the ice like on greenwood and gunflint? should i bring the square stern with the Johnson or the pickup?

• 2 weeks later...

Ice_King, I recognize where you were staying and fishing. I'll be up there in a couple weeks. Were you out on the main part of the lake? Was there any slush in the big wide open areas? Looks like a couple nice fish, congrats!

Yea fishermn i dont stay there i actually work there so... From what ive heard over the weekend and seen fishing been slow all the way into canada and sag/saganagons. Plan on water and slush if we dont get a deep deep cold freeze cause we are still hitting deep slush even today. Snow helped the main trails and the corridor alot but sleds are the only way. I plan on doing some fishing for lakers/eyes/whities/ciscoes/burbout/ whatever bites this week/weekend so ill keep all posted up!TTYL

Ice_king, keep me posted on conditions. We are staying there the last weekend of the month. Lets hope for a few good -30 nights here in the next week or so... Maybe I will bump into you when we are there! Good Luck!

Ya fismn i will be taking some canoes down to st.louis that weekend so i wont be around to much but i know we will definately chat sometime when your here...So your staying at VCO right? If so then for sure ill be seeing ya. Ill keep posted up as far as how fishing and ice conditions are...

Yep, staying at VCO. Will be in on friday morning and out on sunday afternoon. Interested to hear what the conditions are like heading west on the main lake. Usually fish way down that direction...