• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Was up with my daughter this weekend and couldn't keep the fish off the lines. Nothing big but it's always nice to eat fresh rainbows. Next time you go up, let me know. I'll give you a key to the cabin. It's a nice location with Esther really close and Tom Lake not too far away.

The trout lakes are always hit and miss with me...1 day I'll catch a dozen or more and then I'll be skunked the next 5 times crazy I used to fish esther alot in october when I was a kid...planning on heading back to grand marais this october for the 1st time in at least 10 years, but not sure which lakes I'll hit up yet.

How far is esther lake from grand marias? Our honeymoon is a week away, we want to catch one trout species while we are up that way. Sounds like a small spinner or a night crawler will work, I hope. I never fish trout, but would love to catch one. Thanks for any help in advance!

its about a hour from grand marais. split shot, 16" line, hook, nightcrawler blown up with air and cast it out as far as you can and just let it sit. thats the best way to catch one! Good luck

walleyhunter80 and jb masterangler are giving good advice but if you are limited on time try kimball lake. it has a camground. it gets stocked with rainbows,browns, and splake. since you have not caught a trout before a splake is a cross between a brook and lake trout. this time of the year use walleyhunter80's advice. it works almost all year long. if you have time go to esther lake like they said. it is stocked with rainbow and splake, with more splake than rainbows. there are some big splake in this lake. if not try kimball. have fun and good luck. just being on the gunflint is enough for me.

on another note, if you dont want to drive forever on unmaintained gravel roads, just fish in the grand marais harbor off the docks by the coast guard station. spinners, bobber and worm, bobber and dead minnow. lots of trout there!

Trout lake is a good option also. It's just down the road from kimball. It has lake trout and rainbows. And I've seen some dandy rainbows caught from shore with crawlers floated off the bottom. I've also had great success wading the shorelines with spinners.

Thanks for the great info, I hope she catches one so we can keep fishing! I hope to report back to you guys with some luck. Thanks again!!

Sorry, No report to give yet but I'll be paddling out of Sawbill next week and was wondering if anyone had any tips to give for Sawbill, Alton, or even some of the smaller lakes in that area?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Deep Lake Trout on the Gunflint Trail

7/20/10

6:00 AM partly cloudy,

surface temp 68 degrees.

Gunflint Pines Campground

On this trip I was ready for deep mid July Lake trout using a few presentations.

Downriggers.

Dipsy Divers

Inline weights/bead chain & 3 way swivels with lead balls ranging from 2-8 oz.

Jigs in the 3/4 - 1 1/2 oz range.

I brought along ciscoes for trolling my flasher fly rigs or for cut bait on my jigs.

I never dipped into the ciscoes or jigs on this trip but the idea is, I had them in case I needed to change things up.

Before I wet a line I needed to get an idea on what depth to target or in this case what depth to toss aside. You could troll around and watch your sounder for hooks and that works but lets eliminate minimum depth right away. Surface temp was 68, OK. I wanted to know at what depth I might start finding lake Trout. By sending down a temp probe I found 50' was my minimum depth which was 50 degrees. That means stay out of 50' of water or less and get the lures down to a minimum of 50'

This was a multi family vacation with the other members not to serious about fishing, well expect for Jr and a couple other kids. I was prepared to put 2 riggers down, stack if need be and add a couple Dipeys too. Seems no one was hot to fish at 6:00 AM so I was solo.

I started out with downriggers

Gunrigger.jpg

Took a cautious approach while searching for arcs and finding my line as I didn't want to snag up the ball. I notice a front coming far off to the West, it bothered me.

85' of water and 60' down is what I settled in on.

Bang Bang the rod tip bounced. I like shaker releases for that tell tale bounce of a hit.

Moments later I netted a lake trout, a hair on the small side so over the side it went.

It was a good sign though.

I sent the lure back down to 60' and got the boat back on the 85' mark.

Oh the lure, a spoon and I never took it off in two days of fishing.

Wasn't long and the rod tip banged hard and line released.

It was a nice trout. Got him to the net and in the box.

I'll have to get a good picture when I get to camp.

Sent the spoon back down and noticed I'll be getting wet unless I head for camp soon.

It was a short ride back as I didn't want to run all the way down to the Eastern end without a crew to share the fun with.

I made it back to camp in the nick of time.

It poured out for what seemed forever.

I wanted to get back out there.

The rain slowed a bit and was able to take a picture.

NiceGlaker.jpg

I got back out there for the afternoon with 3 boys in tow. I thought now I can put out a good spread and get the boys on some trout..

Of coarse I started out where I had left off in the morning.

I set out another downrigger with a watermelon spoon and stacked both riggers.

Nothing...... I wasn't to reluctant to find a new milk run after working the area I had results with in the morning. The trout moved into deeper water and down a bit. 140' of water and 75' down produced two releases but no hookups. We keep at it and John H. caught his 1st lake trout.

John1stlaker.jpg

Taken on that same spoon.

The boys were getting hungry see we called it a day.

Day 2

6:00AM and my crew asleep I headed out.

So where will they be this morning?

I started out in 85' of water and 60' down.

After one pass and not much for targets I went deeper.

120-140' of water and 100-110' down had what I was looking for on the sounder.

Bang Bang the rod tip shook. I nice 4'lb laker was in the net.

laker1.jpg.

Sent the spoon back down and boat on the run.

Bang Bang and another nice laker around 5lbs.

Glakerspoon.jpg

By now you know the hot spoon, Jim Christensen's Flashback in Monkey Puke!

good report rely appreciate the specifics.

I'm planning an 8 day trip to south arm knife area in late september are the fish still deep this time of year I know the weather will be a little cooler but is it enough time for the water to cool. Never fished lakers in the fall so thought I would have to bring some deep baits. Any ideas on fishing lakers the last two weeks of the season would be appreciated.

They should be getting set to head shallow to spawn. I would start there early and work your way out as the day progresses.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

They should be shallower but you never know.

I'd go about it as I always do coming in cold.

A temp probe to eliminate water.

Sounder to find the hooks.

Be prepared with gear and tackle to cover a few different presentations and depths from deep to shallow.

Nice job Frank. Wow, you weren't kidding about the rain! You can really see it in that one picture. BC

... By now you know the hot spoon, Jim Christensen's Flashback in Monkey Puke!

Nice! That one won't be hard to remember.

• 2 weeks later...

got the chance to fish for crappie wed morning 4th it was awesome limited out Johnson Lake in between Babbitt and Ely. love it when you get to pick and choose what you can keep

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am planning a trip to Fourmile/Toohey or Windy Lake for next weekend, I am not very familiar with the area but have fished a couple of other area lakes in years past. I was wondering if anyone has any information on types of bait/lures/techniques for hooking into a few fish (hopefully some walleyes and pike). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

i have fished windy plenty of times. the water has a light bog stain which makes good day time fishing with a little wind. i haven't been up there this year but last year i got walleys and most were eaters but i did get one around 20in. there are bigger walleys in there and few but some large northerns because of the whitefish in there. but for walleys i would rate this as one of the better ones in the area. watch out for rocks. its no lake to go zooming around. good luck.

there are many good walley lakes in the area. windy i have fished the most. fourmile and toohey would not be bad choices eighther. toohey is smaller and shallower with fourmile bigger with lots of structure like windy. all three lakes are bog stained which is my favorite type of lake. good chance for daytime action. minnows would be the go to bait in my opinion. have a good time, just being there is great. good luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fished Island tonight and caught 3 eyes, 2 pike, and missed 4 fish and 1 tip up. All in about 3 hours of fishing. 2 of the eyes were 15" eaters. Fished a pinchpoint in 17 FOW. The tip up I missed had a BIG shiner on it, and was set a little shallower.

sounds like you had some fun and some dinner to boot. my brother was on boulder the other day and told me he got two walleys [eaters] on the boulder side of the lake. we call the dam side otter side. he said he had 14in of ice where he was. i forgot to ask him if he drove out. merry christmas. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Made it out on Island Res. with the family tonight for an hour and a half. Had three flags, one of which was this guy.

DSCF1075.jpg

My girlfriend managed to snag a rock...couldn't believe it. The evening bite has been pretty steady with a lot of dinks, but there are some spots that will produce nicer fish.