• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Great report, those are some beautiful representations of the species you have there. I haven't ever fished Rice Lake. Looks like I have a new lake to try this year. Thanks again.

That lake is a prop- lower unit wrecking garden FYI if you have never fished it. Took out my whole lower unit out there several years ago and always seem to be able to discover a new rock out there. Don't try it with a stainless prop!

Thanks for the info live4.... I will definitely keep that in mind and be mindful of the graphs.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Forecast: Heavy Rain & Thunder Storms, OH MY.

NOT.........

Glad we didn't stay home because fishing conditions were pretty good.

A little wet at times but but that didn't dampen our spirits.

Area lake water temps in the upper 60's.

Fished the Northern shorelines were the Southern breeze had piled up the warm water

and along with it, fish. smile

Spinner and crawlers got bit by eyes and gills. So many gills you might want to use

minnows as to not interrupt your walleye fishing. If you must, bring 5 dozen crawlers.

22" was our biggest and released after a quick pic.

full-831-46290-r22eye20141.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went out of McQuade and went north this time and picked up three lakers, one tagged. Caught in 90-110 feet using dipsyes and spoons. The deeper dipsey caught all the fish

Son went with his bud out of Mcquade 2 days ago. Ran in shallow water, 30/40 feet. Nothing until the last hour. They both limited out on 2 to 3 lb. lakers. Currently being smoked as the boy's wanted wink BC

My wife asked to go fishing for her birthday Saturday (I know, rough day for me!) Anyway, I'd like to take her out on Island Lake on Saturday but I'd like to hear if and where anyone is catching some walleyes/smallmouth on the lake. Any help/advice?

• 3 weeks later...

Headed up to Lake Superior for the first time ever hoping for some decent weather and fishing and got both. Well not so much Monday when it was pretty rough and wet, so we hit Gooseberry Falls for an afternoon of hiking and sight seeing instead. We stayed in Two Harbors but based on the most recent reports trailered the boat up to Silver Bay Tuesday and Wednesday hoping to connect with a few salmon and lake trout. Tuesday we hit 60-150 fow and ended up 2/2 with two lakers. My wife Wanda got her first laker and a nice one at that, 7 lbs, on a meat rig down 60 feet. I ended up with a 2 lber on a glow green diamond king spoon and that was it for Tuesday.

20140819_180708_resized_1_zps3f3f4d0e.jp

Wednesday we decided if it was as nice as the forecast we'd troll down to Split Rock which ended up taking most of the day. It was a gorgeous day on the lake for sure. Ended up 5/6 with four 2-3 lb lakers and a small coho. Caught fish on various spoons and meat rigs but again the glow green diamond king standard sized performed well. Caught fish 25-50 feet down over 75-110 fow. Both riggers and dipseys caught fish. Had one double which was fun.

20140820_120748_resized_zps226ea338.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Good report.

I haven't been up to Silver Bay this year but usually take more salmon than lakers up there but this has been a different year on Superior

Talked to another boat who also got into a bunch of lakers and one nice king Wednesday. I guess you just never know.

Borch was that guy with his son and had a blue lund??? I pointed another HSOer up that direction and he got 6 lakers and a king wed,,,Im headed back up there in a few hours and hope to have a good report

Yes I believe so. Most towards to SW end of your usual run.

Borch, I was up there with my son (blue Lund) and caught 7 small lakers and one nice King. That must have been you in the Warrior. Thanks to LoonASea for sending me to a new place and we found fish...a very difficult season for me, so much appreciated. The lakers were around 20-22 inches, all hit on yellow/orange spoons (Joker?). Down riggers caught all 8 fish, 45 to 55 ft down. No love for dipseys and lead core. I hope to get back out this week, too many projects to finish for this weekend. Good luck out there and I hope you can get on the water Randy. Thanks again.

Lake Superior is a strange lake that one could fish for years and never master. I remember hearing something that anyone can catch fish on the Great Lakes but only a fisherman can catch fish on Superior. Some catch most of their fish on boards. Some swear by downriggers. I'm a dipsey guy myself. I went out Wed. and all fish were caught on dipseys. Yet, I could be in the same area fishing the same fish and another guy can't get a dipsey hit but getting on Downriggers and/or boards. Last year, did decent with leadcore. This year, not so much. Went out jigging a few times this year and did ok but the last few times have been bust. I could be using a green spoon in the am. By noon, that green spoon is a bust but the purple spoon produces.

Must explin why Lake Superior anglers are near financially broke by the end of the season

We got out and fished the Silver Bay area again today ,,,got 6 lakers and one king ,,,all but 1 fish came on the riggers with a Brads Cut Bait filled with garlic roasted tuna pulled behind 11 inch flashers ,,,the days started out nice with a king as the first fish ,,the rested ended up being lake trout and then it got a little too bumpy to maintain a good trolling speed ,,,what shocked the dickens out of me was the surface temp was 61 and down 66 ft it was 60.9,,, Lots of surface water pushed into the north shore ,,,speed at the ball and SOG varied by 1/2 mph or more at times

Any updated reports or tactics? Going to be heading out there this weekend for the first time with the wife, would love to get her on some fish, doesn't matter lakers or salmon, just would like action.

Thanks, Mojo

Any updated reports or tactics? Going to be heading out there this weekend for the first time with the wife, would love to get her on some fish, doesn't matter lakers or salmon, just would like action.

Thanks, Mojo

Went out of Duluth Mon. and picked up 3 lakers. Still no salmon but that may start to change. Ninety to one hundred FOW with Green Flasher and blue fly and green spoons.

Two on dipseys. One on lead

Outside the Duluth Entry is on!!!

Went out yeasterday and did very well on lakers and even picked up two coho. The Lakers came off of a Green Echip flasher and blue Howie fly and Spin Doctor fished closer to the bottom.

The cohos came off a white glow spoon fished high off a small dipsey.

Tues am was great.

Seven lakers from 7am to 1130. All caught on a green spoon small dipsey. Couldn't buy a fish off the F/F or the boards. Same rod caught all the fish in anywhere from 55-70 feet deep. Right out of the Duluth entry.

It's been a tough summer for me but's been picking up since late Aug

Anyone ever ventured out onto the lakes close to Castle Danger like Kane lake? Was thinking of taking a trip up there either while we still have open water, or maybe first ice any inputs appreciated. Feel free to PM me.. Thanks

Tacklejunkie you must be the only HSO member out fishing. I'm on dry dock until I can fix my motor. Any reports..come on people I'm fishing thru you all.

The lakes either been too rough, I've had to work, or I have had to do some pre winter chores. Hoping to head out there this weekend and will report when/if I do.

I haven't heard and reports from the river or the bay. Is anyone out fishing the river?

Inland lakes-- I have been out and about and the water has cooled about ten degrees in the past week to 59 or so north of Two Harbors. Bass have been eating up slow rolled spinnerbaits but not to many takers on buzz baits. Northerns are active with my biggest this last week a 31 incher that ate a spinnerbait just at sundown. Warmer weather coming this week so water temp should stay where they are at. Will get out several times this next week as this is when I love to fish. Skeeters are still around but I think the black flies have finally moved to go find the grouse hunters !

Went out yesterday and did ok. Two lakers, one coho. All on spoons and dipseys.

Gonna head out this weekend and then wrap up the Big lake fishing for the year

I went out Saturday and Sunday, from 6am-10am and from 5pm-8pm both days. I fished the breakwall and just about everyone was using smaller orange and gold spoons, little cleos and crocs. Lot of fisherman on the wall on Saturday, a couple guys had stringers of Lakers in the 3 pound range, although I saw a couple of fat 6+ pounders caught.

They were all hitting on the lake side in the morning, and most of the action was on the shallow side in the evening. I didn't catch anything on my spoon, but on my second rod I had a mess of crawlers on a floating bottom rig that hooked into something massive. Even with my 25 pound line I had to let it take drag, and regrettably allowed it to snag me under some rocks. No idea what it was, the guy next to me was watching and suggested it was probably either a sturgeon or a very large laker.