• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

On some of the small lakes by Ely and eastward,did they freeze over first than did you get that heavy snow? If you did those lakes could be a long while before you get good ice.

I agree with GO, but saw people out on Shagawa, Johnson Lake and Birch today.

Hopefully people are being safe out there. It was pretty much 34 all day yesterday and we didn't even get below freezing last night. I wouldn't go out on that ice.

I have no plans to set foot on any of the lakes in the Duluth area this week. I'm trying to keep myself busy with other fishing ideas in mind. Just finished repairing a dip net that I'll use during the Smelting season. Weather like this it might come sooner the later. whistle

Be safe folks!!

Dang weather.... I "wasss" ice fishing, now all that ice got depleted and with the temps today I will be thinking of something else to do until we get cold again!

Any one over in superior know if the nemadji river is wide open or does it still have some ice floating in it?

Mike will wait until I hear if you are going out to the deep hole near your place. Heard you put in A few hours a night when the fish are there.

Have a friend that lives across the bay and lets us park in his driveway to access the lake at the narrows. Did not catch any fish last year but that sure is one deep hole.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The warm temps and rain did a good job of ridding the lakes of snow and the water drained off.

16 degrees here this morning and all has firmed up on the ground and on the ice.

The ice isn't any thicker then before the warm up and there are some spots that are thinner

but with the weight off the ice and cold temps she is making ice.

Lets hope we don't get snow for a while.

The warm temps and rain did a good job of ridding the lakes of snow and the water drained off.

16 degrees here this morning and all has firmed up on the ground and on the ice.

The ice isn't any thicker then before the warm up and there are some spots that are thinner

but with the weight off the ice and cold temps she is making ice.

Lets hope we don't get snow for a while.

I was getting worried about the amount of snowfall we got here in the Duluth area as well. I guess you could say there was a silver lining around this cloud after all. Bow hunting is a blast but I'm getting antsy and need to wet a line!!

pretty bad ice around here so far. hopefully this week of upcoming cold weather will help us out. Im going to go and take a look friday or saturday at rice lake would like to get out soon, ive been itching to ice fish.

As of 8:00am., I see no open water on the west basin of Island Lake. Most of the ice that was on the lake piled up on the north shore yesterday. Today it looks like a good freeze.

Mike, thanks for the update on Island lake. Knowing this I'll stay off that lake till I know an additional 3" of ice was made.

Did you get a chance to peak out towards the main lake at all northlander? I'm assuming its unsafe just curious if its froze over

Not looking to try it, just curious as to what it looked like, I won't fish until there's 5 to 6 inches typically

4-5" on Island lake, way west side. Didn't catch anything. Wish I would have brought hockey skates instead, ice is really nice.

Checked the home lake Ice(Long Lake)and measured 3" of nice solid ice.

We don't need no stinking snow to make yet.

Tonight: Snow after midnight. Temperature rising to around 27 by 5am. East wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Sunday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 29. East wind around 10 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

I was spearing up the Gunflint and Sawbill trails last weekend through Monday - found 4-6" on smaller lakes under 300 acres, although it varied. One lake I checked under 50 acres had a lot of spots with under 2" of ice and a few small patches of open water in shallow spots where there were springs I assume. I was able to poke around and set up over 4" of good ice.

The good ice I was able to set up on across several different lakes was solid and clear below a couple inches of white ice.

Almost all of the bigger lakes had a lot of open water.

Snow cover on back roads and in the woods of about 6-8" was melting rapidly by Monday.

I heard the same as ST of more snow predicted for tomorrow. Small lakes should be fine and the larger lakes are just as well being mostly open with cold air to hopefully follow soon.

I have found anywhere from 2" to 6" on areas around the Twin ports. Still a lot of dangerous ice out there and people should be checking themselves rather than relying on someone. Be safe

4-5 inches in fish lake near pontoon bay... This storm really slowed things down for the panfish. Gonna go try for eyes instead. People are fishing in front of the dam on fish lake as well... Lots of people moving there as we speak.