• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up to the schroeder area Thurs. I'm pretty excited. Any reports on the walleye fishing in that area?

• 4 weeks later...

Fishing near Schroeder was decent. Got some really good pointers on this forum. Caught a lot of dinky eyes, but can't really complain because that's what the lake finder report said I would find. Next time I'm going stream trout fishing. Never been, but we did some hiking near a few rivers up there (Cross, Devil Kettle) and the scenery alone would be enough to bring me back. A lovely area. I envy those of you who are able to enjoy it regularly. Considering med school at UMD just so I can be nearer to SNF and BWCA.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be staying at Devils Track resort in the end of Sept. to go grouse hunting. I think I am going to bring the boat also. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to catch a few walleye on Devils Track lake? Never fished it before. Thanks.

There are a couple of points that have nice drop offs and you will find fish there in the fall. Jig and minnow, jig and leech, slip bobber or livebait rig. The smallies will have the feedbags on in the middepths and shallows if the walleyes don't cooperate.

Tunrevir~

Never have been able to get eyes on this lake, but it is a busy smallie fishery. Gd luck

Used to pull eye's out of this lake regularly, but not in recent year's...I've been re-learning how to fish it.

As was said before, try the points with large drop-offs, off-shore humps, the Junco Creek inlet etc. Smallies around the islands and to the east of the Lodge.

I've pulled shads and stickbaits and only gotten northern and smallie. Eye's would come on live-bait spinners.

I'll be trying it again with my dad in a couple weeks, using crawlers and leeches. I'll let you know how we do.

Semi-stained. Typically it is a treetop bite and early morning with the fish moving deeper during the day. Slow trolled spinners can work well but I like to verticle jig and cast jigs for the fish when they are deeper and use spinners to find them. I haven't had much success with shadraps but don't typically troll with those when I am up there.

Tunrevir~

I have done well at times trolling shadraps along the south shore in about 8 - 12 feet. Always in the evening.

We are making our 1st trip to the North shore ever. We have done Leech , Mille Lacs and our last trip of the year will be Grand Marias. Its been a great summer for camping and the family is Very excited. We chose to Stay at Flour lake during the shutdown just by looking at maps but now that i can see the lake finder page they make it sound the lake doesnt have any fish in it. Did we make a huge mistake picking this Lake for our stay- ? will I have to trailer the boat the whole trip to get on fish ? -Thanks .

Quite clear and deep - but your gut feeling is correct, it's a tough fish. Easr Bearskin for walleyes would be good and close rig a leech and fish the 8'-10', maybe a bit deeper stuff during the day, maybe shallower during the low-light periods. Decent smallmouth too - could catch enough pounders for a fish fry anyway...

Backtroll EB shorelines that are in the shadows during the day, at the depths mentioned. From the Fed campground up through the narrows, bunch of good structure that comes quite a ways out on the left hand side - careful of rocks - all the way down to the island on the left hand side too. BWCA line goes across the lake down there somewhere, so keep an eye on where you are.

Surprisingly good walleye lake at times - I've seen two over 28" C & R there...

Was there last weekend. Fished from the dock. Brother in laws brothers place. pontoons not in the water yet ?!?!You gotta be kidding me ! Caught a lot of small eyes and smallies anyway. Biggest of both was probably 14".

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Devil's Track for a few hours Saturday with good results. Found eye's and smallies in 8-11 FOW, trolling 1/2 a crawler on a harness, about 1.2 mph. Both purple/white and perch colored spinners produced.

• 4 months later...

Yep, went out Friday. First lake was a bust, so I packed up and hit another one. Took a bit of work to find 'em, and they were very shy, but ended up with two 11" crappie and a fat northern. All fish hit a Gulp minnow in chartreuse/white.

Ya Rick we are fishin hard these days. Fish Lake, Boulder, Rice and parts of the St. Louis River are putting out some nice fish. Make sure to travel with partners because the ice is still inconsistant in many areas, especially on the St. Louis River!

• 2 weeks later...

a friend of mine and his bud fished a small lake a little north of Duluth today and did real well for crappies. got their limit in short order from 9am till 2pm. they had some slow periods but stayed in one spot and they came back in spurts. minnows was the only thing they wanted. 8 feet of water and stained water. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried Island, Boulder and Rice Sat & Sun. The walleye action was way off. Only caught 2 walleyes (13 inchers) today on Rice. Must be the January lockjaw. Anyone else doing any better? Might be time to head north to LOW.

Tried Island, Boulder and Rice Sat & Sun. The walleye action was way off. Only caught 2 walleyes (13 inchers) today on Rice. Must be the January lockjaw. Anyone else doing any better? Might be time to head north to LOW.

• 1 month later...

Boulder has still been putting out walleyes for me, keep to the right hand shore going out of the dam. Some SKETCHY ice in front of it. Glow lures around dark. Key is move, move, move.

• 2 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

BWCAW Motor Route - Moose Chain Report.

Seemed like a weird Opener.

Some things were definitely a few weeks ahead with the jump start of Spring brought on by the unseasonably warm pre-Spiring temps. From my observations, not the walleyes as most of the males caught were still dripping.

Water temps did not vary much in spite of 28 degrees lows and day time highs of 70+.

I'm thinking that was on account of the constant and strong West wind that kept the surface mixing with colder water enough to keep it at 55 degrees. Those wind blown shores just didn't heat up and catching daytime eyes on them was work, most of our daytime eyes were found in deeper water(15-20') with more consistent temps. As typical come evening using jigs tipped with a chub in those usual spots like shallow points with deep water next door produced.

Pike were there to be had if you wanted to target them shallow and close to shore.

Of coarse we had the incidental catches while hunting for walleyes, some were deeper.

SM Bass, we didn't hook a one which was not he norm but we were fine with that.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm headed up to the Moose Lake chain and Basswood Lake for the first time this weekend. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some eyes and smallies? Not looking for your honey holes, just general guidance. Jigs and leeches on rock piles near deep holes seem to work on other northern MN lakes for the eyes during the day and slip bobbers in shallow weeds near the first drop in the evening. Do you think the same pattern would work on Moose? If not, what do you recommend?

Have had some luck throwing spinners or swim baits with offset spinners into the reeds for smallies pretty much any hour of the day. Should I expect the same in these unfamiliar waters?

TIA for any advice,

Matt

Hi folks. Wondering how the smallie and walleye bite has been on Hungry Jack of late? We're coming up for the first time on Saturday. Just looking to CPR some nice ones. Thanks in advance.

DB