• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Actually joewb, 50 fish days are very common in the great state of Minnesota , or anywhere in the walleye belt of the upper Mid-West if the plan comes together. Canada sees 100 fish days, fun times, just protect your hands from all those sharp gill plates. Netting fish, unhooking then dumping is the norm to keep your hand skin intact.

I think because the pods of fish 2 weeks ago were not as congregated as they are by now and along with the presentations I focused on, put me at the numbers I caught. If I were fishin just for numbers my plan would have been much different. Probably Rapala Jigging Raps, the heavy ones, (not fished aggressively), or a Swedish Pimple with a leech, (try finding a leech now), over deep water fish.

My approach to fall eyes is NEVER on quanity, but quality. Don't tell me size doesn't matter, when chasin' pre-winter eyes.

Welcome to HSO joe! smile

Well Tom we just don't have the number of lakes here in MT like you have in MN I would love to join you on one of your fishing adventures.

• 2 months later...

Good fishing lately despite the cool down. For walleyes I'd hit Gull, Pelican, or the Whitefish Chain. 26-32 feet has been good on set lines or jigging spoons. The new UV colors from Northland have been hot! For crappies the crowd has still been pulling a few out of North Long but many of the smaller lakes have been good too. Most fish are in the basin areas. Good ice everywhere 15-18 inches.

Jason Erlandson

Any recent updates?? Looking to head up for a couple days mid week. Is truck and house travel pretty regular on most lakes? Can a guy get around pretty easily on Gull lake? How's the fishing been? Any updates would be much appreciated.... thanks!

Plenty of ice on merrifield bay 20" where I am. Got a buddy on Gull he has has 18"-20" also...just avoid the channels & ice heaves & you should be fine!

Fishing on the other hand has been slow but maybe with this heat wave coming mid week it might pick back up.

Central, I see someone cut the middle out of the Heave there at the access. Is it safe to drive through now? Had heard someone busted their tires through last week?

It firmed up pretty good now...the little snow we got helped smooth it out & the water that was sitting under the heave froze up. I drove over it saturday no problems.

• 1 month later...

anyone having any luck on gull for northern or walleyes? heading up this weekend to the normal honeyhole but not sure if it's going to be producing with this extreme changing temps. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Had a group on Gull from 3pm-7:30pm the last two nights. Last night they caught a 23" 16" and a 13" Three big pout tonight is all. 23 fow

• 3 weeks later...

Planning a trip to nisswa area in 2 weeks.

With the warm Temps coming will we be able to drive out with trucks or will the ice be sketchy by then? Any ideas?

Thanks MNBEEF

MNBEEF,

It's possible in two weeks the shorelines will be soft in certain places, but I expect there will be no problems traveling by truck. If we get crazy high temperatures that stay then we're talking a different story. However, if we get average temps for this time of year you should be just fine.

Tight Lines

Looks like temps will be 40s and 50s everyday according to the 10 day forecast, except tomorrow 39...

MNBEEF

You are SOL. This ice is not looking good already. I was out on Round last night and its already starting to honey comb. Today (Friday), temps will hit 54. Tomorrow 57. Sunday 67. It won't dip below 32 again until next Monday night. Now is the time to be out or I'm afraid it will be too late. There is always a way to get out on the ice though. Thats when the duck boats come in handy. wink

I can't believe guys are still driving full size trucks and even a big perm house out on merrifield bay. Bring a life jacket, a rope or have a floating suit and ice spikes just incase you decide to try and go out! Mid 60's on sunday.

Anyone know if the public access on east side of Gull lake off of 371 is ok to walk out on. Also, is there an access on the north side? Thanks.

Ice is getting bad quick. Went out today on a lake in Baxter. Top foot or so is honeycombed. We have lost a foot of ice as well it seems. No way I'd drive a truck on the ice now.

Central, were you out on NL? I hit it yesterday afternoon for a couple hours with my son and we got a handful of nice Gills.

I was out on North Long Merrifield bay on Friday...drove out and found the ice at that time to be decent. The ice was still thick and when augured it was like a snowcone ice so it was getting softer but felt comfortable driving at that time. I don't think I would have done it Sunday as I am sure the landing is only getting worse. Drilled a lot of holes and hopped around only to land a handful of decent gills and crappies all to swim another day.

Ozzie thanks for the update. Did you find the fish in the weeds, shallow or suspended over flats? Our group is Heading up on thurs to find some pannies.

Thanks,

MNBEEF

No JPZ just out for a drive swung into merrifield bay to see how many guys crazy enough to be taking trucks out

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Pelican Lake Report:

Crappies going good in 10' of water surrounding weeds/reeds. Crappies minnows and flu-flu jigs (yellow/white) on slip bobbers. Right before dusk about 6-8' down. Multiple limits caught. The bite started again tonight. Has been off the last week. Also heard a good crappie bite starts around dawn and ends by 8:00am.

Walleyes have been caught trolling leaches on Lindy rigs on breaks around 19'. We have also caught walleyes on the same breaks jigging right on them. White jig heads with white tails tipped with either a large fathead or rainbow (if you can find them). Find them on electronics and change things up until you find what they want.

Additional tip: Large sunnies have been seen liking wax-worms/flu-flu combo. Seen the biggest sunnie on the hook in years caught on this Monday.

Water is clear and light colors have been working.

The weather is breaking and fishing is picking up.

Have fun!

• Thumbs Up 3

I was up at Manhattan Beach Lodge on Big Trout Lake for a wedding this past weekend and found a couple hours to escape on the water on Saturday.  Pulled #7 flicker minnows as close to the weedline as possible (yes we caught a lot of salad) and ended up picking up a couple small walleyes in the two hours out.  They hit a light blue, green and white colored crank on all fish boated (and released).  It was not a hit it hard outing, but we did get out on the water before the vows and enjoyed the day.  I hope to return to the Whitefish Chain of lakes in the near future.  It is an awesome area and would love to get to know it better!    

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I was up at Manhattan Beach Lodge on Big Trout Lake for a wedding this past weekend and found a couple hours to escape on the water on Saturday.  Pulled #7 flicker minnows as close to the weedline as possible (yes we caught a lot of salad) and ended up picking up a couple small walleyes in the two hours out.  They hit a light blue, green and white colored crank on all fish boated (and released).  It was not a hit it hard outing, but we did get out on the water before the vows and enjoyed the day.  I hope to return to the Whitefish Chain of lakes in the near future.  It is an awesome area and would love to get to know it better!    

Fished Gull yesterday afternoon, 9 walleyes, 4 keepers, redtails, off the points. What a great weekend coming!city

Edited by city slicker
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 7 months later...

so since there are no reports since October hopefully this forum picks up now that the season has begun again.  I was out over the past weekend on Whitefish chain and pulled cranks in the shallow and did ok.  Caught a handful of Walleyes and a bunch of northerns.  We would have done better if we would have mixed it up and bobber fished after connecting with walleyes but it was great to be out and couldn't have asked for a nicer Friday/Saturday.  Tried for crappies for a couple hours and struck out but only tried one lake and it appeared we weren't the only boat not catching crappies out there.  Good Luck and hope to hear some reports from the area